Default Friends dont let Friends play without Heavy Fortification

So, I was playing alone with a side toon and saw this ToD LFM led by a rogue. It had a very odd description and it stroke me as a new player leading the raid. A short myddo on the guy revealed 10% fortification.

Since myddo isnt exactly updated - half my toons have more than one year of oblivion - I sent a tell to confirm.

The rogue revealed that infact he had 10% fortification, but that his toon did a lot of damage.

Obvioulsy, I then proceeded to explain how fortification worked and why it wasnt 'acceptable' to walk around without it.

The rogue didnt accept the advise as friendly and the conversation didnt go that well, ending up on the rogue not convinced that HF was a needed thing.

So, I am assuming here that the fact that I was a Stranger who didnt speak his language somehow struck him as a non reliable person. Whatever is the reason why the person did not like me, I really believe that a friend could have explained better and he could have bought the HF thing.

So, this is a plea for the cannith community, the guilds mostly, to instruct its members of the important aspects of the game. While I am giving just one example of "un-education", I know for a fact that this server has a great number of players from large guilds running around clueless of how fortification works.

So, as the title says, talk to your friends about heavy fortification. Those stubborn fellas, they surely will be more inclined to hear advise from their friends than from a stranger.

Thanks for reading. Will thank you for acting.

I've also tried to be helpful in game, only to be told as long as I'm not paying their subscription they will keep playing how they like.

Sometimes the 0% fort guy is often the same who keeps linking their endless list of leet lootz in party chat. In one instance it was a guy not doing so great in the quest. Eventually I MyDDO'd him. When he linked his next weapon I replied by linking my heavy fort belt. Not sure he got the message.

Like you say, I don't think being "helpful" works unless you've got to know the person first in guild or otherwise. If you'd just sent him a brutal tell "you're a zero fort gimp, I'm not joining your party" followed by a squelch the message would probably have got across better. You should not do that either, it's not nice.

TLDR; Be nice, don't engage in futile debates.
    Praise the Dark Six and pass the heals to pure melees.
    Full feat tree; Cannith; change; merger; evil; win; minmaxing; FotM; deja vu; Kobolds.
    Dungeons and Dragons Online ~ Nude Song and Gnarled Onions

This is yet another reason why everyone should play a healer to level 20. Unless they are self healing, of course, but doubtful.
    Dex (HU) - Pal 14 TR2 || Grue (DF) - Monk 12
    Dux (DR) - Bard 18 || Dox (HU) - Cleric 20
    Dax (HU) - Fighter 15 || Tyrael (HU) - FvS 13
    Broken Alliance

Community Member

Sometimes, people are receptive to help. Don't stop trying, because sometimes, you can change their gaming experience for the better.

I saw a 14 monk looking for advice on monk gear in the market on the weekend, and spent an hour or so helping him out. I didn't buy "clean" items, but by the time I was finished mailing him gear, he went from Chrono and a few +2/+3 stat items to +5/+6 str/wis/dex/con items, from low/no fort to heavy fort, a new pair of +10 stunners (although his icy trash beaters were pretty good), etc. His hit points went up a lot, as did his AC and to-hit.

After switching to my 16 FvS, we did a run through Eyes of Stone on elite, and Seigebreaker on hard to try and get him some of the BtA gear, but unfortunately, neither the Garments of Equilibrium nor the Stonedust Handwraps dropped. If I see him on again, I'll try to get a bigger group together for a better chance at those items showing up.

I got careless and sloppy in Eyes of Stone, and ended up dead shortly after returning to the plaza near the end. The poor guy apologized for his character's death shortly after mine. This confused me, since I died first, but he was conditioned to getting screamed at over some stupid 10% XP.

He ran solo a lot, but it was obvious that nobody who had grouped with him had ever taken the time to help him out - the fortification and gear alone told me that. It is easier to yell at people than help them out, I guess.

Soulstones are constructs, thus, immune to critical hits.

I wish critical hits had a visual feedback too and not just that deep "closed-mouth-burp/punch-on-the-guts" sound. Something like the paladin smite burst, but darkish, so we would know who just took that critical and make them feel uncomfortable about it.

If you want to play poorly, don't waste people's time.
    Put up your LFM and call out what you want/not.
    I don't care...

Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    It can certainly hurt to be on the receiving end of a nerf

Quote Originally Posted by joaofalcao View Post

Obvioulsy, I then proceeded to explain how fortification worked and why it wasnt 'acceptable' to walk around without it.

The rogue didnt accept the advise as friendly and the conversation didnt go that well, ending up on the rogue not convinced that HF was a needed thing.

So, as the title says, talk to your friends about heavy fortification. Those stubborn fellas, they surely will be more inclined to hear advise from their friends than from a stranger.

Thanks for reading. Will thank you for acting.
    It's too bad that people can get offended when friendly advice is offered.

I try to preface any "helpful" statements I make with ..
    "Would you like some advice on (XXX)?"

That way if they say no, I go on about my business and just leave it alone.
    People can be very touchy about their build. People can be very pushy/condescending with "advice".

You don't know the person's background, if they decided to make a gimp for fun, if they have physical/mental impairments, if they have just been slammed by a bunch of elitists, etc..

Just something to keep in mind for anyone who feels they should offer advice to anyone they don't know.

Seems like you're on the right track with your post though. Cheers for attempting to help.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

Quote Originally Posted by zeonardo View Post
    I wish critical hits had a visual feedback too and not just that deep "closed-mouth-burp/punch-on-the-guts" sound. Something like the paladin smite burst, but darkish, so we would know who just took that critical and make them feel uncomfortable about it.
    Look at their level, and if it's 11 or higher, just play a part of this clip on each crit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcWLMkFmxck

bump for great justice
    Cannith: Ortarr (leader of Killer Dwarfs) - Purge Bravely - Drunkungfu Master - Ortarrdo Son of Ortarr - *others*

Community Member

There are people in game that just dismiss you or don't let you join because they think you won't make it through the quest and they tell you so, but they don't give any advice on how you can improve your HP (which items or feats you need to take, etc) or your AC.

Maybe you missed a thing when creating your toon because you didn't know you could do that or you don't know abut a named item you can get or upgrade somewhere. Maybe you are not a bad player, can follow grupo and stick with them, but for them you aren't useful. I would like to know if when they started they were pro's....