Thread: Crafting math

2016 DDO Players Council

Default Crafting math

Greetings

Three questions if I may.

A) Bound or unbound when leveling up?
    It seems that unbound shards are more efficient due to the much higher level and hence better xp. Would that be correct? Do the unbounds also give back more essences when I decon them?

B) Shard of potential
    How do I know which of the 3 shools will get the exp when making a shard of potential? Are there seperate recipes for each school?

C) When if ever is it cheaper to buy +25% xp pots and/or +20% success rate pots rather then simply buying more greater essences? My uneducated guess is:

25 greater for 65 tp is obviously far better than 100 lesser for 95 - so buying the lesser essences would only be to avoid having to break down the greater but at a large extra price.

The 25% xp pots look like they will pay for themselves quite handily except maybe for someone thats slow or maybe when just starting out. Getting 25% more xp for the same number of essences seem far better than buying a few extra essences though the latter would obviously give a slightly larger number of shards created.

+20 success rate looks pricy for the effect. To me it seems these are only really better than simply using the TP to buy some more greater essences at a high level in crafting when lots of essences are needed or for combines involving rare collectibles. For the average combine when leveling up they seem to be inefficient.

Please enlighten me so I shall not remain ignorant.

my experience:

unbound is great for leveling, craft only unbound for increasing your crafting skill.
    dont forget to deconstruct the shards for essences afterwards.

Buying crafting-xp booster makes sense if you can craft a lot in a short amount of time.

Buying essences makes IMO no sense, since you just need too many of them: I used many, many thousands of greater to get to near 100 in all schools, that would be a fortune in TPs.
    Collecting and buying vendor trash for deconstructing is cheaper, as is buying essences direclty or wait for bargains on the AH.

Success rate boosters, somthing like 10% or so, make a lot of sense for higher-lvl shards, since a lot of essense can get lost if the craft attempüt fails.

Minor Crafting xp boosts and Crafting Success boosts can be traded in-game from challenge materails or the vendor that becomes available through House C favor.

Last but not least: think very, very hard whether you really want to make a crafter: I spend literally millions of plat to get the essences I needed for leveling up, and now I will have to spend many more once crafting levels will be extended to 200.
    Looking back I'm not sure it was worth it.

2016 DDO Players Council

Why do you think that crafting will be extended to 200? Anything official regarding that?

Edit: Nevermind, its in the U13 notes.
    Last edited by mikarddo; 01-27-2012 at 05:12 PM.

Both. Always check both machines for unusually cheap recipes at your level.

How do I know which of the 3 shools will get the exp when making a shard of potential? Are there seperate recipes for each school?
    Yes.

When if ever is it cheaper to buy +25% xp pots and/or +20% success rate pots rather then simply buying more greater essences?
    For leveling? Never.

The only TP I could justify spending on crafting (and I did this myself) is 95 TP for a single pack of 25 20% boosters. Use these to get high-cost recipes (ie: greater banes) up to 100% from as low as 80%.

The Crafting Mogul
    Hero and Host of DDO Chat

Quote Originally Posted by mikarddo View Post
    Greetings
    Three questions if I may.

The most benefit/cost to level up is through the unbound machine. Most of the higher level recipes on bound are great for yourself, but expensive. For example, if you were crunching level 70 recipes to level up, you would use a fifth of the materials in the unbound machine as opposed to doing the expensive recipes in the bound machine.

B) Shard of potential
    Yes, each Shard of Potential has a recipe for each school. In the end if your main goal is to level up in crafting, I have had the best luck simply sorting by XP in the level range you are in. Use the unbound machine, sort by XP and aim for the with smallest chance/best XP ratio based on material use. This system has worked well for me.

C) When if ever is it cheaper to buy +25% xp pots and/or +20% success rate pots rather then simply buying more greater essences? My uneducated guess is:
    This is a tricky one. I did most my leveling in distinct sessions, collect enough greaters, and either enough lessers or sunder to have enough. At that point I have always bought the XP pots from the DDOStore. 20% is very nice when you get into the higher levels.

Regarding stacks of success boosters. I have bought them a few times, again mainly for higher level recipes. If you are doing the low percentage/best xp method I mentioned above, I would normally use 2 or 3 for the 50-55% recipes for the intial crunches just to minimize loss of essences and materials.

Overall, if you are purchasing essences (Expect 150-250 Through direct trade, or 300-500 through AH) and leveling, the method I mentioned above is very beneficial. If you are slowly grinding and collecting them from deconning and chests, then you may not want sucess boosters or XP pots.

It also depends if you are leveling for yourself, or plan on going over 100 right now to craft for others. I am not sure if I would have used XP pots strictly for my own crafting. On that same note, if I had to do it again, I am not sure if I would have even bothered going over 100 The climb to 150 cost a LOT and doesn't exactly have any decent method of getting a return on investment

But crafting for yourself, always goto 100. I just finished to +5 Holy Burst Adamantine Scimitars of Greater Construct Bane for my Fvs/Mnk, and it cost less in mats then I would have ever bought from AH if I could even find one, let alone two

If you have any questions, I have no problem giving information or my opinion on things. I am technically a capped crafter on Orien, we will see how much more I use when U13 comes out
    Last edited by Untitled; 01-30-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    The Crafting Mogul of Orien!, Yuupppp!! .:. Join The Craze - http://www.ddochat.com
    Proud to be part of what is, sad at the closure of what was, and grateful to have called it home...
    Proudly Canadian, and just providing my $0.02 cents. ($0.025 USD )

2016 DDO Players Council

Thanks, good advice.