Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627
    2015 DDO Players Council MangLord's Avatar

Having encumbrance, but allowing a high STR character to carry 45,000lbs of gear seems ridiculous. Is this guy really questing with 6 greataxes strapped to his back, a gigantic sack of funerary tokens, and 6 necklaces and helmets stuffed into a backpack? My dwarven fighter can really pull several tractor trailers worth of weight behind him without slowing down? It seems silly.

Clearly, the items and gear a well-equipped character usually has have exceeded the logistical and practical limitations that a normal person could possibly bring with them, even if they could lift a small planet. Where would all the dozens of helms, greatswords and dragon scales be kept on a person? We should just assume that these items are stored in extraplanar Bags of Holding or whatever magical storage you can devise, and encumbrance should be a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MangLord View Post
    Having encumbrance, but allowing a high STR character to carry 45,000lbs of gear seems ridiculous. Is this guy really questing with 6 greataxes strapped to his back, a gigantic sack of funerary tokens, and 6 necklaces and helmets stuffed into a backpack? My dwarven fighter can really pull several tractor trailers worth of weight behind him without slowing down? It seems silly.

Clearly, the items and gear a well-equipped character usually has have exceeded the logistical and practical limitations that a normal person could possibly bring with them, even if they could lift a small planet. Where would all the dozens of helms, greatswords and dragon scales be kept on a person? We should just assume that these items are stored in extraplanar Bags of Holding or whatever magical storage you can devise, and encumbrance should be a non-issue.
    Wait, you mean I'm the only one that can lift 22.5 tons?

Sarcasm off

I have always thought the maximum calculations were too far off. Even my squishy wizard can carry several tons. That doesn't seem right. I think low level encumbrance is pretty close to where it should be. It should not increase THAT much as you level up. Maybe there should be diminishing (excuse me...linear) returns like PRR.
    -Anything is possible....if you don't understand the problem.
    -Better to be perceived a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt.
    -Luck is simply a crossroads between circumstance and knowledge, both are things you can control.

2015 DDO Players Council MangLord's Avatar

I appreciate the idea of encumbrance being an issue, but it seems to be a relic of the parent DnD game that doesn't apply to the way DDO operates. Obviously, pnp DnD and DDO are two different animals. Never once did my pnp character have seven different clickies he had to cycle through to start a quest, nor did my rogue ever have 20 different short swords for every occasion. My DM would ask where he's carrying them, and weight would be secondary to the shopping cart he needs to hold his sword collection. Without an actual human DM to take mercy on us and allow a +4 sword to be great in all battles, we need to stockpile gear. With that in mind, I think its reasonable to abandon some low priority "core" pnp concepts to allow for the style of DnD that is DDO. Will any of us really miss getting weighted down by the 20 suits of plate we collect every night, as all they provide is a movement speed annoyance on casters and dex builds?

Quote Originally Posted by MangLord View Post
    nor did my rogue ever have 20 different short swords for every occasion. My DM would ask where he's carrying them, and weight would be secondary to the shopping cart he needs to hold his sword collection.
    Quiver of Ehlona aka Efficient Quiver, great place to store them! I say this having had a D&D Character which had a Quiver full of longswords!

Also the extra inventory slots are meant to be Bags of Holding, which weigh a fixed amount regardless of what is put in them, however, we still get encumbrance penalties far in excess of that, so if you think about it, the place where a good chunk of things is being stored is in extra dimensional space.

If we were following D&D rules for encumbrance we'd be carrying less weight and be able to carry more items through the use of additional bags of holding.

Encumbrance is a none issue issue. heck even before we get to backpacks versus Bags of holding the encumbrance was only half assed seeing as how it has never covered coinage. If we where going by D&D rules we would never be able to carry as much coinage as we do. 1 Million plat = 20,000 pounds in D&D terms. One of the reasons for gems in D&D was to convert extra cash into something easily carried but that's neither here nor there. People keep comparing this to D&D but it's not it's DDO we have been taught that many times. There is no good reason to keep encumbrance it is just a punishment in DDO for those who don't put points into str. Which means casters and dex based. Let's face it a min maxed str based dps will never run into an encumbrance issue but a min max dps dex based will run into 3 problems from encumbrance. i'm going to leave it at that
    I might be Crazy but that doesn't make me Insane! It's the little people in my head whispering for me to kill kill that makes me Insane! Characters: Klomagor, Vombalk, Senzeiry, Kanned, Varlivale, Dasalyn, Starsinger, Kanned , Planned , Vanestria, Flareian, Fallamaus, Someassembly, Varaztac, Truthfull, Fensuvan, Neashtrom, and Gloriania

2014 DDO Players Council
    Alt-pletionist

I was in a quest tonight where I got encumbered from a Ray of enfeeblment, and was slowed down, it made for an exciting moment... So should we get rid of exciting moments?

DDO needs less exciting moments? Less Depth? Less complexity? I don't think so, and I think the people who want to get rid of encumberance have little to no understanding of how games engage us and immerse us and thus they have no feel for whats GOOD FOR THE GAME...

Lots of players loved the Raiders boxes. They were jumping up and down for joy over them... totally destroyed one of the only raids at end game... but they don't care about the long term best interest of the game. They only care about their immediate self interest.

Strength is already one of the least robust/used ability stats, it's only used for Melee's and is little to no concern for anyone else. So make it even less important?

Consequences for dumping a stat should always be there. Getting rid of encumbrance means that ray of enfeeblement is pointless on any non melee. One exciting moment that is no longer possible...
    You guys filibustering a new mode have already succeeded in scaring the Dev's into not doing it the right way and re-scaling the existing settings, why in the world are you still filibustering? Drunk on your success? Schadenfreude? Spitefulness?

Community Member

Thank you.....Well said!

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I thought this thread had died and been forgotten about a long time ago.

But I still think that anything in our backpacks(of holding) should not count for encumbrance.

Worn armor, equipped weapons... yes.
    Unseen weapons carried hidden away in magical backpacks made from portable holes... no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Ushurak View Post
    /not signed

While at first glance it sounds great, it would turn strength into just another dump stat for all but strength based melee.

This would mean that Monks could never become un-centered unless equipping the wrong item...but could carry as much weight as they wanted.

This means that strength draining spells would be useless for mobs and players.

In all essences it would make this game like most old console style RPG games where you could carry 50,000 lbs worth of **** and it meant nothing...not a good idea...but that is just mho.
    +1 I totally agree. One of the few nerfs remaining for monks.
    The Thug: sustained DPS Int-based non-assassinating assassin
    The Flaming Sphere Scroll Fan Club
    -- Join Now! Free Subscripton via DDO Forums!

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627