Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

I know of at least one quest where the weight your carrying adds to the plot (Wiz-King).

Medium encumbrance takes you off center as a monk.

I would not mind the portable hole section of the backpack being weightless.
    But taking the weight out of the game all together would be to much of a game-breaker, imho.
    (I say this while I do know it would help a lot of dex over str builds.)

I live in Stormreach, but I occasionaly play something called "Real Life."

Encumbrance is why my warforged paladin is my crafter, and not my artificer.

Encumbrance is why I didn't run Crystal Cove on my rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurei View Post
    Everything here, but may I add that weapons may NOT be stored in the bags of holding then? This sounds ridiculous, but it reflects the risk of using BoH's with the whole "sharp objects will rip the bag, causing all items to get sucked into a different plane."
    Yes, but this game is already well into moving into 4th edition rules where sharp objects can no longer damage portable holes or bags of holding.

As usually I think a compromise is in order, eliminate "med" encumberance and make both the light and medium ranges the new light. It still leaves the ability to become encumbered by lack of str/stat damage/etc but gives more room to play with (and medium always confuses people since they have no obvious indication they are at med without looking at the inventory panel)

Only read the first page.

I'm in favor of encumberance as it is currently implemented. I think not wanting to totally dump strength on a build you otherwise would (like a caster) solely for encumberance reasons is a good part of the game.

The encumberance mechanic really shines with quests like ADQ2 where they spam ray of exhaustion at you (in the hallway run) like it's going out of style. Or whatever it is they spam.

I really like the fact that you have to be mindful of encumberance on evasion builds.

The only change I would make is to have challenge mats (mephit wings, orthon metal scraps, etc...) be weightless like cannith crafting mats are already. But not all bags; I really like that if you consolidate everything into account-wide common bags, they'll weigh 100+ pounds and encumber your artie crafter (or capped wizard) who dumped strength and didn't bother with a strength item. I really, really like that.

Community Member

Encumberance only exists as an occasional annoyance for me. It disappearing could only be an improvement.

Community Member

DDO is a Monty haul style of D&D. It is the style of play that most people end up with when they 1st run a game. You try to balance rewards with events but sooner or later your players have so much gear they want to sell it or end up picking their teeth with +5 Vorpal long swords.

The easy way to limit this is to enforce Encumberance. It is however easier said than done you increase the book keeping and are forced to step out of the game to deal with it. In a computer game it is handled by the computer and allowes you to stay in the game so to speak.

While most classes are not impacted those with evasion or other abilities like the monk's centered are.

The removal of Encumberance will have allow them to use those abilities with out penalty. It will also reduce the impact of stat damage which may make some builds helpless due to weight (unable to move due to Encumberance).

As a player I say great toss it out. As a DM I say it can be an important tool to help balance your game and keep it out of the Monty haul style of play.

For DDO I think that ship has sailed a long time ago we are firmly set in the Monyu Haul play style. Much of it comes form the setting Ebberon in which magic is far more common.

Cheers!

Monty haul: A pun on Monty Hall (the former host of Let's Make A Deal), when equipment, abilities, and other rewards get out of hand.

Community Member

It's fine, certain things such as ingred. and collectibles should weigh nothing.

must be getting close to Mabar, the threads are rising from the dead!

Gedian Greymalkin R20/e5[SD5] H N | Erdric Aendricaes FV20/e3[EA4] E LN | Vollmer Itsu P20/e3[US5] H LG | Bale Traeger B20/e2[FS4] H N | ~Thurauk D'Soronath~ A20/e2[MR3] D CG

Founder & Build Synthesis Battlehawke's Avatar

Default magic

Magic!! Its a strange thing..
    The Best Server: Gallhanda

Looking for a great guild? Check Out Our Guild: http://www.oldtimersguild.com/vb/forum.php

Looking for some good builds to play? https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthrea...for-Characters

Quote Originally Posted by goodoldxelos View Post
    It's fine, certain things such as ingred. and collectibles should weigh nothing.
    Erm, agreed. That was concensus opinion of this thread, which the devs heeded and implemented (ingreds and collectables weigh nothing) months ago.

Case closed. Amen to that. Let' s move on.
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Community Member MarcusCleardawn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Encumbrance: what value does it really bring to DDO?

How many of you would mind if this just sort of 'went away'?
    1. Little to none. It's nostalgic, but it was a bad mechanic to begin with. Even if you had the brute strength for it, does anyone really think you could walk around lugging several suits of armor, two-handed weapons, thousands of arrows and/or bolts and move effectively? DDO characters regularly run around with tens if not hundreds of cubic meters of junk in their "backpack"

2. Wouldn't mind at all.

That said, I wouldn't devote developer resources to deleting it or modifying it. There are far more important things.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusCleardawn View Post
    That said, I wouldn't devote developer resources to deleting it or modifying it. There are far more important things.
    Too late, they already did.

Community Member

I see no good reason to remove it. Perhaps the encumbrance gap between high and low strength characters should be lessened. Perhaps some weights should be modified. But I like the idea of encumbrance, and I would love to see it implemented in a meaningful way, so that it doesn't become trivial once you hit 25 strength.

IMHO, encumbrance should serve the same role for melee/ranged types as spell slots do for casters. It should make me think about the gear I'll need for a quest from time to time, rather than bring every X burst of greater Y bane two-hander with me through each quest. You could even implement some sort of clicky that lets you open a bank portal (1/day) after resting or while in public areas to avoid the tediousness of having to run to the bank and back to fetch your gear.

I'm guessing most people wouldn't like that idea, but there it is.

But I agree the encumbrance system needs some changes. The problem, however, is that every player manages/uses his inventory differently, and designing an encumbrance system that is appropriate for all players (one that's strict enough to have some effect on gameplay but lenient enough to keep the game playable) is likely impossible.

Default My thoughts.

Encumbrance should stay and here is how/why...

Currently players are restricted (for the most part) on how much they can carry due to the inventory system as it currently is. My level 23 fighter can carry over 15,000lbs of kit but I can't get even half way to that due to the lack of space in my inventory.

So with that being said here are my ideas (some are agreeing with what others have said):
    1. Remove the tabbed inventory system completely and allow us to carry however much we want to up to our maximum carrying capacity. You could then tweak the system to reduce down the total amount of kit (in weight) that could be carried (instead of 15,000lbs make it 5000lbs or something). This would mean that fighers etc can carry lots of stuff up to a point (actually make use of their STR score) and it means that casters who have STR items can carry more to fit in their spell components and not worry so much about running out of space to put them.
    2. Remove weight on the various bags of holding (gem, collectible and ingredient etc), to my understanding these are magically enhanced bags so they should not weigh anything except for the base weight of the bag itself (say 5lbs). As a prime example look at Merlin in the movie The Sword In The Stone he casts a spell which shrinks all his belongings down to fit in one bag and off he goes. Is it too much of a stretch to think something similar could be done here? I don't think so.

By doing these two things the encumberance system would be better than what it is, players can carry more (or less) depending on their build and will keep the flavor alive of the original DnD rule set.

Put simply everybody wins

Stoner81.

/not signed

While at first glance it sounds great, it would turn strength into just another dump stat for all but strength based melee.

This would mean that Monks could never become un-centered unless equipping the wrong item...but could carry as much weight as they wanted.

This means that strength draining spells would be useless for mobs and players.

In all essences it would make this game like most old console style RPG games where you could carry 50,000 lbs worth of **** and it meant nothing...not a good idea...but that is just mho.

My experience is that it does not add to the game. I found it very confusing as a new player to have spaces in my inventory but not be able to use them, while gold weighs nothing.

Please let it go.

We're just spending too much time managing inventories and not adventuring full speed ahead.
    Rockan Robin . Rocka Red Emma . Roq Star . RockCandy Mountain . Rockna Delaflote | Build Index
    Co-Leader, Ghallanda ReRolled
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarrant View Post
    it might make more sense for the player to re-roll.

Default one person's opinion

Leave it alone! These are the kinds of things that make the game specific and unique. To me the fact that this is being proposed begs the question: why are you asking? Over the past few years I have seen this game slowly but surely dumbed down to the point of real concern. I know there is a need to “keep things fresh”, so here's a suggestion: stop with the constant revision of basic game mechanics (spell power, AC, poison/disease immunity, etc, etc, etc, on and on...) and use your limited time and resources to fix the bugs and expand the game with new content. I would be willing to bet that if this game got the reputation of steady growth in quality content without all the constant, and almost always inexplicable revision and direction changes, then you would achieve your ultimate goal of increased sales and longterm customer satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by old-school View Post
    Leave it alone! These are the kinds of things that make the game specific and unique. To me the fact that this is being proposed begs the question: why are you asking? Over the past few years I have seen this game slowly but surely dumbed down to the point of real concern. I know there is a need to “keep things fresh”, so here's a suggestion: stop with the constant revision of basic game mechanics (spell power, AC, poison/disease immunity, etc, etc, etc, on and on...) and use your limited time and resources to fix the bugs and expand the game with new content. I would be willing to bet that if this game got the reputation of steady growth in quality content without all the constant, and almost always inexplicable revision and direction changes, then you would achieve your ultimate goal of increased sales and longterm customer satisfaction.
    THIS ^

And plus 1 for putting it in easy to understand language.

I don't think it should be removed outright but I am all for bags of holding with very large holding capacity and no weight penalty.
    "Focus on Adventure Not Grind"

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast