Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MsEricka View Post
    Encumbrance is a pain in the butt, I support getting rid of it.

Stat debuffs against STR will still work for the most part. One thing that would break would be the "slow" effect from being encumbered after being hit by Ray of Enfeeblement on a toon that took off their STR item.

However that could be simulated by adding a "slow" component to the spell that would last a SHORT duration of 5-10 seconds.
    So instead of punishing min/max'ers that dump and ignore Str, you'd rather punish everyone every single time they get hit with the spell?
    Buff casters so they still don't get encumbered and nerf melee because they get slowed when they wouldn't have before.
    Yeah, that's a great compromise....
    Last edited by Calebro; 02-07-2012 at 03:57 PM.

I'd like to speak up by saying that I'm also in favor of just removing encumbrance.

With all the crafting ingredients, encumbrance is just silly. My ingredients bag alone weighs 300 lbs, which makes it impossible for me to play any build that isn't at least partially STR based on my a TR.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    So instead of punishing min/max'ers that dump and ignore Str, you'd rather punish everyone every single time they get hit with the spell?
    Buff casters so they still don't get encumbered and nerf STR BASED melee because they get slowed when they wouldn't have before.
    Yeah, that's a great compromise....
    Find a solution that doesn't nerf strength based melee then, it's not hard. Example: getting STR drained <10 slows a character down by 10% for each point below and paralyzed at zero STR.

Brissy Australia(u wouldn't know where the real town was)

Dump it

I never used it in my pnp game.
    I felt that for the time invested to manage it vs the bonus to the gaming experience was a negative number

Still include the str damage equals slow if you the devs feels it adds to the gamers experience.
    Remember the more fun we have the more tp's we will spend. No Realy, just a random thought to get your attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Imatotalnoob View Post
    Still include the str damage equals slow if you the devs feels it adds to the gamers experience.
    Remember the more fun we have the more tp's we will spend. No Realy, just a random thought to get your attention.
    Agreed. I understand how dumping massive amounts of crafting ingredients every update gets us to spend TP on bags, but I have no idea how turbine would make money off of getting people encumbered.

Nobody likes it. It doesn't get people to spend money on TP. Just get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicMew View Post
    Agreed. I understand how dumping massive amounts of crafting ingredients every update gets us to spend TP on bags, but I have no idea how turbine would make money off of getting people encumbered.
    As has already been stated the easy way to avoid this issue is make bags weigh what they way and ignore their contents. Bags of holding, blah blah ... then ingredient creep won't cause extra encumbrance. Not even when you have to get an extra bag - 'cos that's one less slot to carry a set of full plate in

That said, I'm still not a fan of completely dumping encumbrance. Arguments about it being too hard to manage are kinda moot when you've got a computer adding it up for you.

Whatever happens with keeping/dumping it, IMNSHO we should still effectively feel the same effects from being weakened/enfeebled/blah blah blah as we are now - related to gear, not the thousand types of crud in our bags.

I would also like to see racial running speeds implemented ... even when I "drive" a dwarf
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Ultimate Completionist
    2014 DDO Players Council

Our whole backpack is:

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Handy_Haversack

so let us get back to basic pen and paper D&D and treat it as such.

Please no adding lag to the server by making it count weights then sort whether something is in a bag or not.

The amount of equiped items add so little weight, please get rid of encumbance.

If any ability stat goes to zero or less you do become helpless.
    Last edited by Silverleafeon; 02-10-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by dkyle View Post
    Well then, in the interest of preempting the need for such a thread, so you don't have to see it, I'll just give my feedback on that issue right here:

The trivial-cost spell components are stupid, annoying, pointless, and actually contrary to the 3.5 rules. Just give us a spell component pouch. We can carry it next to our spellbook (i.e., not in our inventory). And use the same rules 3.5 uses: trivial cost components are assumed to be contained in the spell pouch. Heck, the spells could even get their "unique" material components back in the spell description, instead of the generic level-based ones. More flavor, less hassle.
    to counterpoint this, Spell components may be annoying (and i should know, i have to recast Holy Sword twice per login on my main.) but they are a necessary evil for the game. They are goldsinks which players have to use and cant ignore, in a game desperately in need of goldsinks.

Encumberance on the other hand, makes no sense in the context of DDO, we are carrying 3+ bags of holding from the beginning, which even the most gratuitously sized bags of holding wouldnt send a character with 8 STR into encumberance till they filled 3 bags entirely.

Encumbrance adds a tiny bit of flavor. Now we can carry limited number of items and limited amount of weight. Unfortunately it creates a lot of busywork to the game at the same time which makes DDO less fun to play at least for me. Therefore, I wouldn’t keep encumbrance in the game only for the flavor reasons.

Second thing is that it is fun that every stat does something for every character. Dex gives reflex to everyone, Con gives HP and fort saves, int skill points, wis will saves and cha gives UMD which can be useful to all classes if they choose to use it. Srt only affects to carry weight for pure casters and ranged attackers and it can be played around. I always play with str 8 casters and deconstructing trash often, putting collectibles to bank and carrying some restoration items has worked just fine so far. It is just an annoying minigame to do so and makes me to wish that there were some other kind of penalty for having low str. This ”manage your encumbrance minigame” isn't fun one.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Encumbrance: what value does it really bring to DDO?

How many of you would mind if this just sort of 'went away'?
    I wouldn't just throw it away. But I would definitely toss in the D&D mitigators.

Basically, add in bag slots that represent the different bag tabs you have. The default is just plain bags.

Then as loot, DDOStore purchases, or something else, we can purchase varying bags of holding that we can place in the bag slots to effectively reduce the weight of anything in that specific bag tab.

The ultimate piece of equipment is the "True Bag of Holding". The bag weighs 5-15 lbs and anything inside of it has no weight at all.

Community Member

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how you can make encumbrance a factor in the game with the current mechanics, unless you make a Halfling Monk who dumps Strength and never stores things in the bank.

If it went away tonight, I doubt I'd notice for a week. That being when I do a very poor job dodging the rays of enfeeblement and go "Hey, Why am I not encumbered?"

Frankly, the mechanics works fine in that regard. It's not in the way, but it does play a minor role that is secondary to just having inventory slots.
    Last edited by Mad_ScientistsNH; 03-03-2012 at 07:29 PM.

Community Member

My halfling rogue / monk with base stats of 6 str / 18 dex / 14 int / rest in con agrees that encumberance needs removing from the game.

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    My halfling rogue / monk with base stats of 6 str / 18 dex / 14 int / rest in con agrees that encumberance needs removing from the game.
    Your Min/Max'd toon forgot to add the Max part in, which is why he's having troubles.
    Dude, you rolled a melee with 6 Str. Think about that for a moment and you'll see the problem.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DDOisFree View Post
    Normally I'd scold Calebro for what he said but honestly there's flavour builds (Which I highly support) and than there's purposefully gimping yourself...although if you playing in a static group and the concept was to try to level from 1-20 than attempt epics with the worst characters possible...I approve :P

Seriously though..what is the point of that character
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

I live in Stormreach, but I occasionaly play something called "Real Life."

Encumbrance was a serious challenge for my rogues and monk with dungeons dropped lots of armor. It was also THE deciding factor when I made my warforged paladin my crafting character. A friend chose a drow for his artificer and crafter with strength as a dump stat, and it was a huge inconvenience as those bags weighed hundreds of pounds.

Encumbrance is something that made a degree of sense in P&P, but in that format you had horses, wagons and barbarians who could carry everything. here there is nothing you can do about encumbrance. either you play a melee who just flat out ignores it or you play a caster or dex build and get stuck with an arbitrary penalty that you cant compensate for in any way.

Carrying capacity is already limited by the size of our inventory, encumbrance is redundant not to mention unrealistic, my WF wiz (A robot mind you) can barley carry a suit of full plate but my frail, fleshy, human, mere mortal barbarian has a strength is approaching 80 so he can life half of Xendrix out of the ocean; I'm not kidding, fully buffed and raged, my light load is like a million pounds. That's absurd to put it lightly. Encumbrance puts an arbitrary restriction (on casters in particular) for no good reason. If it disappeared I don't think anyone would mind or care, indeed most melees wouldn't even notice.

Eternium (Art 18), Tatooine (Bard 19), Technodrome (Wiz 18 / Rog 2), Thanigar (Brb 14)

I don't think that encumbrance should be removed, however I do think that my bags shouldnt weight anything.. Nothing like spending TP on a gargantuan bag on your wizard toon to find that not only is it BtC but it is so heavy that you nave to keep it in your bank and end up having to visit after every two or three quest to unload the stuff you've picked up in your small bag.

Community Member

any non dps toon can be affected by this if they are hit with some str damaging attack, although it could be easily removed if you do something like

1-2 str you can't cast spells
    2-5 str you can't be on any monk stance/loose tohit/ac/whatever

something like this would allow to remove encumbrance ( which out of combat is pretty stupid ), and duplicate it's actual most usual effects when a low str toon is hit with str damage

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Perspicacity View Post
    Encumbrance puts an arbitrary restriction (on casters in particular) for no good reason.
    low str has a handicap
    low con has a handicap
    low int has a handicap ( we don't see em used too often, but some spells can take your int to 0 )

when you have a stat very low, it should be exploitable by the enemy, and I think it would be fun to see it happen more, just like my rogue uses weakening or maladroit to put beholders on autocrit

btw, it would be nice to see the mobs in a dungeon act accordingly/differently depending on the make up of the party, like using more dw if the party has 6 palemasters and more displacement if it's very melee heavy

Community Member EustaceTrevelyan's Avatar

Melees of course it's a non issue (unless you're still clinging to finesse), but for everyone else, it blows chunks. Halflings get the double hit (not that i've messed about with them much.)

Even with guild buffs and a +6 str item (love that taking up a slot), my ranged arti (which can't even max int while getting enough dex for IPS), who dumped str of course, can't loot much without hitting medium.

The encumbrance thing is not that fun, and i'd really also like more bags for things (scrolls, pots, and reagents.) It's all kind of ridiculous having to manage inv to the degree we do.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast