Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Community Member

Please leave encumbrance in the game, I like it. It adds further depth to the game.

There should be consequences for the amount of stuff you carry and there should be limits.

There are those that complain that the game is easy, removing things like encumbrance is the reason why it has become easy.

Regards,
    UltraMonk

PS Bring Back the Death XP Penalty!
    Visit the DDO Wiki! Unique items: Quest Rewards - Raid Loot - Chest Loot - Item Sets
    DDO Store List, with references on how you can gain items ingame for free!

Quote Originally Posted by Zlingerdark View Post
    I know I am gonna get heat and hate for this... but if anything I think the opposite needs to happen. We have been having a bit of discussion on our guild's forum about this and I will try to recap briefly my take on this.

<SNIP>
    Do you want to play D&D or do you want to continually manage inventory?

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrix View Post
    Do you want to play D&D or do you want to continually manage inventory?
    The two are not mutally exclusive. Inventory management has been a part of D&D for as long as I've been playing it. Sure some DM's ignore those rules, but some DM's ignore insta-kills or the monk class, that doesn't make it any less a part of the game.
    Bronies: For those who get it, no explanation is needed; for those who don't, none will do.

My only issue, Monks + Ray of Enfeeblement = Do Not Mix!

Argonnessen - Aruki 6 Monk (Main); Dayher 4 Artificer
    Canntih - Firryl 12 Fighter; Tiran 8 Fighter; Daher 4 Fighter/4 Monk

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Expalphalog View Post
    The two are not mutally exclusive. Inventory management has been a part of D&D for as long as I've been playing it. Sure some DM's ignore those rules, but some DM's ignore insta-kills or the monk class, that doesn't make it any less a part of the game.
    I think you missed the earlier poster's point.

"Play D&D" means "doing things that are fun." Moving stuff around in your inventory counts as "administrative overhead" that you put up with to get to do things that are actually fun, for probably the vast majority of players. A few other things that increase time spent on "overhead" and decrease time spent doing things that are actually fun are the subject of much complaint. For example:

1. Taking twenty minutes to get to a mission door
    2. Visiting collectors located all over the place to trade a handful of items at a time
    3. Getting one buff at a time from different nodes / NPCs, instead of in batches
    4. Going through the learning curve required to successfully use multiple crafting systems

To me, this is encumbrance in a nutshell. It's about as exciting as clipping one's toenails. It's as much a cliffhanger as whether or not Republicans and Democrats in Congress will disagree. It's as difficult as taking out the garbage, but even less fun because taking out the garbage is necessary and a nice thing to do for your significant others, while encumbrance is a choice arbitrarily foisted on players, based on the notion that characters are smart enough to take care of their personal hygiene (so players don't have to manage that), but too stupid to do anything to manage encumbrance on their own.

If you disagree and think managing encumbrance is a really fun part of the game, there's a way to settle that. Do a poll and get players to rate the different things that players do in the game, rank them by how much "fun" they add to the game, and you're probably going to see "Move things around in my characters' backpacks" or "Sell or destroy stuff so that my character ends up not being encumbered" isn't at the top of the "fun" list.

Back in my day, I'll not say which day that was , encumbrance was used to determine movement rate. The more encumbered the slower you went. Though we mostly ignored this, but the DM would bring it up now and then. In DDO, it would be difficult as bags of holding were suppose to have a static weight I believe. I don't think portable holes had any appreciable weight and the characters storage past the first 3 sections in the backpack are based on these so it would be complicated to keep up with encumbrance based on what section something was in... It would take away some limitations though, which might cause some classes to make strength even more of a dump stat. I would give the collection bags a small static weight and keep encumbrance in the game. I'd be interesting to see it limit movement by a percentage based on how much someone carried but, then that's more code.

It adds Zero to the game for me, personally.

Every single alt I have has a Strength of 30+, making encumbrance issues extremely unlikely anyway, and a rather forgettable mechanic of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

Community Member

I don't think that Encumbrance should disappeared. But added a bag for spell component (Small 3, Medium 5, Large 7, Huge 12 unique items) And increase unique item stock for Small Collectibles Bag to ad-least 15, also the ammunition it will be better if it will be in piles of 1000, then 100.

I also agree witch EnjoyTheJourney that are more important problems in DDO, then encumbrance.

Community Member

The mechanic doesn't really work in DDO, in the sense that you don't have to make the decision what to take with you and what to leave behind before a quest. I assume this was the original intent, which would indeed add depth but would probably be hard to implement in a MMORPG in an interesting way, as 90% of people know the quest in advance 90% of the time - you would always know exactly what you need, encumbrance would just force you to sometimes make a trip to the bank between quests - again, pure annoyance.

The way it is now, you just take 3 sets of gear and tons of consumables anyway, and if encumbrance ever pops up, it's something like "oh **** maybe I should have only bought 1000 of each spell component instead of 2000". It doesn't really force you to make meaningful gameplay decisions, I would call it an annoyance but it virtually never happens to me.

The spell component mechanic is more annoying, and only because it sucks to have to tell your group they don't get haste any more because you ran out.

I believe weight and stuff, needs to have some impact, as others have said, for things like ray of enfeeblement, strength sapping, etc, to have a little more usage then just as a means to get a mob down to stunned or lower the to hit and damage of a melee character. Especially when used against a player.

However, as others have also said. Managing inventory, and dealing with weight of things like collectibles and stuff serves no point to the overall immersion of game and is a total annoyance

I personally like the idea of the collectible/ingredient/etc bags to be a fixed weight, no matter what was put in them, IE: Bags of Holding in their own right. And given they cost more then a good chunk of magical weapons of armors, it would be fitting they were magical in this way.

I am also hoping that Spell Component Bags are on the Horizon.

Encumberance was added to retain some D&D flavor put was trivialized when money was weightless. Remove it if the intent was to make inventory items have weight but not money. Keep it if you intend to make money have weight again like D&D.

If you intend to add weight to money, better think the whole system through.
    3 Rules to Life

1.) "Dont teach a pig how to sing because it wastes your time and annoys the pig."
    2.) "Never wrestle a pig in mud, because you get dirty and the pig enjoys it."
    3.) "Never argue with an idiot because people watching cannot tell the difference."
    Krago - Dwarven Barbarian

Either remove encumbrance entirely, or make all ingredients/collectibles weightless.
    <-Curelite Bottling Company->

Quote Originally Posted by Chilldude
    Dude, did you see they way that guy just pressed button 1? It was amazing! A display of skill unseen since the 1984 World Games where in the men's room, between events, a man washed his hands with such unbridled majesty that people were claiming the faucet he used was OP.

I wouldn't mind too much if it went away.

A compromise that I could see is upping the innate encumbrance of all characters, and lowering the effect of strength. This would make it possible for a weak caster character to still carry stacks of spell components without being slowed down, and cut back how much a raging barbarian can carry (say down from 6 or 7 tons to a more reasonable 2 or 3 tons).

Bags of holding or portable holes would be great, as would eliminating encumbrance of the ridiculously large number of collectables, ingredients, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    *grins* bag of holding in a bag of holding, all to create a dimensional paradox. I know I know... But it is funny.
    I was just wondering the other night, what is it you're seeing when you hold a mirror to a mirror???

I don't mean the boxie reflections either, I mean ALL the way in, what is that?

Quote Originally Posted by svinja View Post
    The spell component mechanic is more annoying, and only because it sucks to have to tell your group they don't get haste any more because you ran out.
    Tell ya what, if they'll give me a bag for my spell components, they can make the component for each spell a cannon ball or a wine filled keg for all I care, encumber me........just gimme a bag for all that sand!!

Aye,

I want to fit 10 lbs of Bull Dung in a 5 lb bag.
    3 Rules to Life

1.) "Dont teach a pig how to sing because it wastes your time and annoys the pig."
    2.) "Never wrestle a pig in mud, because you get dirty and the pig enjoys it."
    3.) "Never argue with an idiot because people watching cannot tell the difference."
    Krago - Dwarven Barbarian

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NecroKovy View Post
    I was just wondering the other night, what is it you're seeing when you hold a mirror to a mirror???

I don't mean the boxie reflections either, I mean ALL the way in, what is that?
    Calculus. Limit as x -> 0 of 1/x

You don't want to hit zero.

On non tangent, I find it funny that so many people are wanting to remove a mechanic in game that near end game still "hurts" arcanes pretty good when so many are complaining that casters are overpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    On non tangent, I find it funny that so many people are wanting to remove a mechanic in game that near end game still "hurts" arcanes pretty good when so many are complaining that casters are overpowered.
    Exactly the point that I've made here multiple times.

Pirate Cursed

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    It's quite arbitrary. I mean, like, yeah right I'm going to be carrying around 10 pieces of heavy armor, a bag full of trap parts and other bits and pieces. So why bother having an encumbrance mechanic as it's already insanely unrealistic? Playing Skyrim with more realistic loot vs weight considerations it was just annoying. D&D is about loot. Lots of different types of loot but more specifically LOTS of loot. If you were genuinely going to go full on yes to encumbrance then... no just please don't.

Encumbrance is not a huge deal - except that I need to put often a couple of stat points in str on characters I wouldn't normally bother doing so - and also bother to slot a +6 str item. But if you can do that I rarely feel annoyed by encumbrance. But it would be nice to have those stat points and slot back.

On a monk/monk splash where it pushes you out of stance that's a pain. Doesn't happen a lot and other effects cause that too. Mildly painful but again not that much of a big deal.

Verdict: meh.
    Yes, what Meli said. Space is currently limited by slots in the backpack. I can live with that.

Encumbrance is a pain in the butt, I support getting rid of it.

Stat debuffs against STR will still work for the most part. One thing that would break would be the "slow" effect from being encumbered after being hit by Ray of Enfeeblement on a toon that took off their STR item.

However that could be simulated by adding a "slow" component to the spell that would last a SHORT duration of 5-10 seconds.

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 11171819202122232425 ... LastLast