Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Correct me if I misunderstood your suggestion but I what I see from this is that PuGs will get divided even more between experienced and non-experienced players. Which imo is not a good thing for the long term survival of this game.

Heck why not give a bonus 5-10% xp for all members of the group if they are grouped with someone who is completing a quest for the first time on their account (the first timer shouldn't get the bonus 5-10%). Might make up for the death penalty :P

Some people really have a reading comprehension problem in this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    That won't make the new quests super-amazing XP, but they will be good enough to help fill the hole in XP that is still faced by multi-TRs around level 16.
    Which hole if I may ask?

I have a pair of friends on their way for the completionist, and they reach the cap usually with vale + iq, leaving the refuge entirely.

Since the new bonuses went live, with bravery and tomes, there is no xp hole left to be filled.
    Even I capped on the last tr without playing reaver refuge, just a quick run through amrath elite (for flag friends mainly, not for the xp itself).

Also, the new 3 quests on elite with bravery and greater tome payed to me around 80k that is no bad at all.
    Guardiani di Eberron of Cannith
    Jhansen - Fvs TRx2 - Epic Lord of the Blades ||| Shenis - Wiz TR - Palemaster ||| Gauth - Brb - Frenzied Berserk ||| Porcino - Mnk TR - Child of the Void ||| Jhaina - Arti TRx2 - NailGunner

Quote Originally Posted by alexp80 View Post
    Which hole if I may ask?

I have a pair of friends on their way for the completionist, and they reach the cap usually with vale + iq, leaving the refuge entirely.

Since the new bonuses went live, with bravery and tomes, there is no xp hole left to be filled.
    Even I capped on the last tr without playing reaver refuge, just a quick run through amrath elite (for flag friends mainly, not for the xp itself).

Also, the new 3 quests on elite with bravery and greater tome payed to me around 80k that is no bad at all.
    This thread predated tomes of learning being known about. The hole was bad then, but challenges have filled in a lot of the XP hole for me. On hitting 18 I run all the CR 20 and 21 challenges that are reasonable to 4-star, and that's a good quarter to half million XP that is all reasonably close to 1000xp/min, awards relevant loot and (most importantly) tends to remain fun longer than Vale walkups.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    The less XP is available, the more people will zerg. And the more obnoxious they get too.

I 'smell the roses' on 32 pointers. 36 points, it's 'zerging, silly death = kick'.
    This wins the thread right here.

If theres enough XP in this game in the higher end content, I would rather run it once at more of a crawling pace, doing all optionals, getting all the traps and breaking all the containers.

If there isnt enough XP between 16 and 20 to do this, then we have to repeat quests to farm XP, and if I have to run the same quest 4 times, at least 3 of those will be zerg fests. Repetition is boring and it will get done as quickly as possible.

Kinda odd that theres people here who do NOT like zergers but yet dont support having more XP in a higher level quest, or at least calculating it properly.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Which hole if I may ask?

I have a pair of friends on their way for the completionist, and they reach the cap usually with vale + iq, leaving the refuge entirely..
    Not elite once and done they dont. I have farmed vale and IQ and not had to touch amrath, but I didnt get enough Xp at the high end running stuff elite one time only.

Depends on what you call the ideal situation. I call the ideal situation never having to run the same quest twice, all the way to cap.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Ok... it looks like there's two seperate items for discussion in this thread.

First, the OP is suggestion that a good way to determine the xp a quest should reward is to have people run it as fast as possible and base the xp off of the fastest times people can complete a quest. It's not a bad idea to build a basis for the xp a quest should give.... however I personally believe there are better ways to determine appropriate experience for a quest.

The second topic is that many players believe that running a quest quickly should reward more experience than running it slowly. I disagree with this mentally very much. You automatically get more exp by completing a quest quickly if you measure the xp gain in xp per minute rather than total xp. For example, if you can run a quest 3 times on zerg mode in the same time it takes a slower group to run the quest once, you are getting more xp.

Speed bonuses would also encourage reckless gaming, and ruin gameplay experiences. It's one thing for a group to decide to do something quickly, but it's quite another thing for a group to feel forced into rushing and even leave others behind or skip content in order to maximize their xp. As it is, there are solid reasons for both styles of gameplay and I do not think one style should be favored over the other.

Community Member balancetraveller's Avatar

Great idea? LOL I don't even understand what OP was talking about...

Why not ask for a simple fix, say, a 200% bump to base XP, instead of proposing some weird and alien mechanism like this that penalize non-zergers? This idea just sounds like a pure nonsense.

The initial idea is a flawed thought on many levels but I shall cite only two.

One: What happens when another team beats the current fastest time? Do we yank the reward back from said previous best time? If not all this idea accomplishes is more xp for nothing special.

Two: Only giving it to one member from the part at random is only asking for problems. What if the lazy piker gets the prize but the noble character that was valiant and saved the quest from near fail to pull of record time using haste pots and other perks gets lefts nothing? People would be biotching on these boards in seconds to devs.

If you want speed rewards use the challenge system. True quests should not be based on speed for extra xp or perks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDjinnFor View Post
    Some people really have a reading comprehension problem in this thread...
    Is anyone even reading it?

This is a great idea to realistically adjust the xp rewards for quests.

To those who are disagreeing, saying that it encourages zerging....read it again...and this time don't zerg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12