Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Wanting to play again, but incredibly discouraged build wise :(

I was looking into being either a tank of some flavor (Not sure if paladin or fighter.) or some variety of shintao monk. But ever poring over the forums looking for a new character guide I just became overwhelmed at the sheer amount of guides that so casually just state "You need 36 points and +2 tomes"

I havn't even a single idea how to build even after playing so many 3.5 rule based games because of how alien everything in DDO is by comparison. And how generally competitive the enviornment is. And it's just become overwhelming to the point where I freeze up on the character creation screen unable to even play with anything after three days of having the game installed.

Is there a way to build as a fresh character and be useful and productive? Or will I be a leper doomed to solo even with the most min-max heavy build

Quote Originally Posted by InvadeNormandy View Post
    Is there a way to build as a fresh character and be useful and productive? Or will I be a leper doomed to solo even with the most min-max heavy build
    What Races/Classes/Point Builds(28/32)/Vet Status do you have available? And what do you want from your characters?

I'm sure there are plenty of people out there, that would be willing to help you create a build that suits your needs. I know I'm not the greatest at maxing out a build, but I'll help you build one, that is within your grasp.

~Nim
    Harmonious Balance: ~Nimzaraka~, ~Nimalika~, ~Nimfu~, ~Pseudonim~, Nimhish, ...more Nim's in other places
    DDOCast Build Guild: Limm Dul the Necromancer
    My Builds: The Thriller - Melee Shapeshifter(broken) - Battle Sniper

Community Member

I have the standard assortment + warforged open to me (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling, Drow, Warforged) for races, and for classes I have.....

every one of the standard classes plus monk, I lack FVS and I lack arti I believe. And I have vet status and 32 point builds left over from way back when.

I'm mostly looking to make a nice tank since no one seems to want to play them, or something high in support and survivability, I don't really care about DPS as my old main was a pale master who could yawn, point at something and watch it die instantly. Though I'm not opposed to playing something DPS-y! Just not my first pick since DDO seems to be doing fine as far as DPS population goes.

Community Member

Unfortunately that isn't far off. Currently being a good tank is difficult for higher levels as it requires lots of equipment. Usually people get the needed equipment together and then TR into a tank.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zargarx View Post
    Unfortunately that isn't far off. Currently being a good tank is difficult for higher levels as it requires lots of equipment. Usually people get the needed equipment together and then TR into a tank.
    Ahhh... So I'll just file that over to the side for now then.

I'm mostly building to help out a group of friends who got back into DDO and they have an alright set of classes so far. I'm just at a loss at what would be helpful and effective.

Community Member

Roll a dwarven fighter or barbarian. Nothing wrong with a dwarf melee toon. Even on a 28 pt build with no packs, gear, etc, you'll be plenty strong and sturdy, and on a fighter it's almost impossible to mess up. Just max strength and constitution with any leftovers(2 on a 28 pt build, 0 on a 32) in intelligence or dexterity.

Key feats for these two classes is two handed fighting, improved thfing, greater thfing, toughness, improved critical: slashing, and power attack. Barbarians should use their last feat on Cleave, while fighters will want to take feats like Improved Sunder, which is a badass debuff on bosses in the end game, Stunning Blow, which will knock enemies unconscious on a failed save, and allow you to do 50% more damage per hit. Fighters also will want to take feats like Weapon Focus: Slashing, Greater WF:S, Superior WF:S, Weapon Specialization: Slashing, and Greater WS:S so that they qualify for their damage class, the Kensai.

The reason that tanks and monks so casually advise 36 pt builds and tomes is because they can be painful to build without them. Also, most people min-max the hell out of their toons. A dwarven barbarian with a +5 greataxe, a +6 strength and constitution item, heavy fortification, and over 500 hp, is just fine. Not optimal or great, but sufficient to get you through the game.

Mostly though, don't worry about the super elite on the forums. Most players you'll meet in game are by no means all 36 pt builds with +2 tomes falling out of their laps. You'll get to play just plenty with fellow newbies, first lifers and equally under geared toons. Just have fun with it. Check out the build, Fweebie, on these forums. It's basically a fully built out 28 pt dwarven fighter. Follow that, and you'll kick the **** out of every enemy in the game.

Crazy talk.

My main is STILL my original 28 point Tempest Trapmonkey. Obviously not a tank, but a perfectly viable, fun to play, epic capable character.

If you're terrified into inaction, well, you obviously can't play the game. Get over it. Build your character, play it, and let the future sort itself out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

It's not too difficult to build a Hate Tank, an AC tank on the other hand requires a TON of gear. To start off I'd suggest something allong the lines of a Paladin Evasive Hate Tank.

18 Paladin/2 Monk
    10 Paladin/9 Monk/1 Rogue(or Fighter)
    10 Monk/6 Paladin/2 Fighter

Off the top of my head those level splits would probably give you the most bang for your buck. Human would probably be the best choise for any of those builds.

As far as stat points, each is going to be a little different. What build types do you have available? 28 point, 32 point?

Edit: My bad...didn't see you said that you've got 32 point available.

I'll play arround with a character builder(Here) and see what I can come up with.
    Last edited by ormsbygore; 01-25-2012 at 11:43 PM.
    Harmonious Balance: ~Nimzaraka~, ~Nimalika~, ~Nimfu~, ~Pseudonim~, Nimhish, ...more Nim's in other places
    DDOCast Build Guild: Limm Dul the Necromancer
    My Builds: The Thriller - Melee Shapeshifter(broken) - Battle Sniper

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

You've got heaps of good options available to you, it's just the trick to identify what you have and what you don't have.

As far as tanking goes I'd suggest to have a look at Shade's epic tank guide. There's no point being a tank if you don't build for everything and the gear obstacle mentioned for tanks is only for AC; no need to build for that on a first life though, instead just build for DR/threat/healing amp.

That said, tanks are a dime a dozen ATM.

Light Monk is a great beginner build as it overcomes DR issues that dark monks experience. The only stumbling block here is that you want a +2 tome to hit 17 dexterity to qualify for ITWF/GTWF. You can get this by getting 1750 favour on a server for the first time, from the DDO store or off the AH. Alternatively you can get a +1 dex tome and start with 16 dex which is much more accessible. You can even be dexterity based. The "easier" options are usually less ideal end game but they aren't necessarily a big deal either way.

So yes, either of what you want is possible so perhaps elaborate a little more and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to link a general light path monk build.

Cheers,
    Wowo

Community Member

Light Monk is sounding nicer and nicer because it does get a nice pack of skills without being overwhelming, and dwarf fighter seems sturdy while being all around competent I must say.

I think I may be leaning more towards monk for now, since it is fairly good at trashing demons and undead (Two of my most... disliked mobs.)

Also thank you all for the informative and helpful posts so far

Edit: Taking the plunge and trying a dwarven fighter. Since I have the option of killing or protecting without much hassle initially. And I can make it powerful should I choose to stick with it later.
    Last edited by InvadeNormandy; 01-26-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Go with pure light monk. Dwarf or human is also a good option, and in earth stance, you could tank well.
    Cannith
    Csodaszarvas
    Valyria - Hulkie - Sillymilly - Killberry - Silvyanna - Walour - Corgak - Thalrian-1

This is a pretty easy to gear tank option:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=345344

I can't find the latest Meathelmet build, now that Grodon has updated his sig to be all llollthy.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Thelanis: Mhagenta
    Keeper (Europe): Defy, Blhue, Spiderbot, Memek

Tanking isnt a build, it's a state of mind.

Community Member

Ive got a 2 monk paladin for evasion and its very survivable. If your joining to support friends and want to be a tank type, go ahead and play a tank, it might work well for your purposes. When people say AC is hard to get, what they mean is lvl 14ish plus. Up till then go ahead and pursue AC gear. You can spec in two handed fighting and still use a shield till you need to basically give up on AC. Then if you get the gear you can aim for AC again but that is end game thoughts.

Also, the forums are full of people trying to make their build look like the ultimate build, and they include stuff like temporary potion buffs in the AC or HP totals. Ignore that, dont be intimidated, that sort of 'competition' is something you can grow into when you get there. Forum posters are a minority of ddo players.

Also, if you decide on dwarf, you get dwarven axes for free, or you could take bastard sword spec. Both of these weapons benefit from the two handed fighting line and when you need to do more damage you can whip out a two handed slasher like a falchion or great axe.

Also 32 point build is more than enough for a first life. I have leveled four 28 point builds to 20 and they are all satisfyingly strong. I know I could make them stronger obviously with 32 or 34, but that will come in time.
    Last edited by CanuckWisdom; 01-28-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Honestly, you sound like you want to roll a Barbarian.

You aren't a traditional tank, but you can take a beating, and that's a good thing. Bring along a Favored Soul hireling, or guzzle potions at an early level, and you should be fine soloing.

There's two kinds of tank in DDO. The AC Tank, and the HP Tank. The HP Tank is the most common type of tank, as any melee class that didn't dump HP can qualify. The AC Tank is harder to build, but has its place when you succeed at it.
    The guy who likes to experience every class. Except Fighter >:[ I don't like you Fighter.
    Hey Devs! Monks need some big ol' loving. Lots of it. So does the Warpriest tree for Clerics and Favored Souls.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    Honestly, you sound like you want to roll a Barbarian.
    No, it doesn't sound like that's what he wants at all. My suggestion for the OP is to roll up a dwarf fighter. Level as a Kensai, and then respec enhancements into Stalwart Defender at cap.

You aren't a traditional tank, but you can take a beating, and that's a good thing.
    You're a pathetic tank unless you're geared to the hilt with healing amp items. Most barbarians cannot take a beating. They are a royal PITA to heal, and I'd rather shoot myself in the face than heal one of these high HP gimps who thinks they can tank just because they have lots of HP.

There's two kinds of tank in DDO. The AC Tank, and the HP Tank. The HP Tank is the most common type of tank, as any melee class that didn't dump HP can qualify. The AC Tank is harder to build, but has its place when you succeed at it.
    Your "the HP tank" should be the "massive healing AMP & high HP tank". A high HP toon without massive healing amp makes for a pathetic tank. If you want an easy to build tank in the current game, you don't build a barbarian. You build a Stalwart Defender. (Paladin's are a PITA to build well.)

Human Ftr20 Stalwart Defenders that treat AC as a dumpstat really require only one hard-to-attain item, the Epic Gloves of the Claw, to function well enough to tank anything in the game.

More gear makes them better, but the basics will work.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Default How about a Paladin?

Another thought is a general paladin THFer build. Their nice to have around for a variety of reasons, Auras (Resistance, AC, etc..), situational heals, buffing etc... If you max intimidate you can pull that pesky aggro off the arcane or rogue and keep healer up with a quick Lay on Hands, or cast Resists, Prayer etc... In a pinch you can wand whip heals too. All the while being a pure melee based class. Hunter of the Dead offers a lot in the early levels and once you hit 12 or 15 you can grab shield mastery (or another DOS pre req feat) to take Defender of Siberys which gives you a nice STR and CON pump as well has HP boost.

Plus, once you get the holy sword spell, you have a built in DR breaking Holy Burst weapon. At no cost!

The downside is you need to manage your hot bars, and keep your various clickies going. I enjoy it so no prob on my end but I know that it annoys the bejeebers out of some.

My basic THFer Pally is
    Human, 32 Point build...no tomes, base stats
    STR 16 (All level ups go here...)
    DEX 8 (THFer...nuff said)
    CON 16 (This is not a dump stat ;-)
    INT 10 (this plus human gives u some extra skill points to play with, UMD anyone?)
    WIS 8 (just need to have it high enough to cast spells, 11 for 1st level, 12 for 2nd etc...)
    CHA 16 (the higher the better, this drives your Lay on Hands and a lot of your Paladin class abilities)

1 Toughness, Power Attack (again, Human gives extra feat)
    3 THFer
    6 Exotic Weapon Prof (Bastard Sword) for S&B (Not AC building, Shield Blocking/DR, Incite Bonuses)
    9 Improved Criticals: Slashing
    12 Shield Mastery (Take DOS now or later)
    15 iTHFer
    18 gTHFer

Nice thing about a paladin is they can grab it and survive it for a bit (LOH for Heals in the 400's to 600's, when in the 20's) Unyielding Sovereignty (gives a 1000+HP heal) plus CLWs, CMWs and CSWs are viable if you work on your healing amp. Grabbing Aggro is a pretty big party support ability btw ;-)

I suppose this is not a true tank but with healing amp, DOS attribute and HP buffs, plus some self healing...they can do quite well and have found them to be quite relevant throughout the game.

Certainly not top end DPS, but nice survivability, well rounded and brings a fair bit to a party from buffing to healing, grabbing aggro etc...
    So much to learn, only so much time in the day...

Enkur/Suljak/Grimslad/Azimander/Vladig/Nandos/Thangfod/Somnolent/Glumnael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast