Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Default Campaign Idea

Characters kill monsters. They should be wanted if they kill humanoids. Dark-elf is a humanoid. Lloth is a Deamon. Kill the Queen and convert the drow. Pass the word.

Jedi and Sith both kill humanoids.

Create a game which follows this rule.

Corellon Larethian created all elves, including the Drow. Drow rebeled and worshiped Lloth.
    Last edited by jellyfish21; 01-26-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Apologies for the mild case of thread necromancy.

I've been thinking about this issue a bit, and I think that the comparison between the Star Wars franchise and the Forgotten Realms setting is, at least to me, very apt.

George Lucas started out creating a wonderful world, a wonderful story, and it became wildly popular. Then, in an effort to cash in on his earlier success, he went back and ruined everything about Star Wars that anybody liked.

I feel Ed Greenwood did something very similar to this with the Forgotten Realms.

I actually own the original PnP 1st edition AD&D boxed set, and I have the Dragon Magazine articles from the '80's where Elminster first started dispensing his wisdom. Back then, it was really cool.

And, like Gary Gygax and Mordenkainen, Ed Greenwood's Elminster was that most annoying of creations, a character the DM uses as a surrogate PC in his own games. The term in the Fanfic community is the "Mary Sue."

Unfortunately, Greenwood's obsession with Elminster's coolness led to Elminster appearing in virtually every module, every adventure, and every novel based in the Forgotten Realms. It reached heights of frenzied literary masturbation Gygax never approached. Gygax's forays into bad fantasy novels at least starred a character other than Mordenkainen.

In Greenwood's Elminster Saga novels, Elminster starts out a noble, his parents are killed, he becomes a street orphan, levels up as a Rogue, then starts over as a Fighter, then again as a Cleric, then once more as the Wizard. Oh yes, and he also has time for hot sex with the Goddess of Magic herself, Mystra. This is all in the first book, BTW. There are sequels.

Yes, that's right, Mystra let Elminster touch her boobs. Anakin only got access to Natalie Portman's

Then, of course, an endless stream of novels got spewed forth in an effort to cash out the franchise. Some were good (most of the Drizz't stuff) and some were unutterably horrific (I think Jar Jar Binks actually appears in the Forgotten Realms novel "Spellfire" -- or maybe it's Manshoon. They're about equivalently clever.)

Also, Drizz't and Darth Vader share a common problem. They were super-cool and awesome at one point, but now they've been drooled over by so many fanboys and copied by so many hacks that they've become trite and annoying. Whether they channel the power of midichlorians or Mystra's mammaries, they just don't thrill me any more.
    Last edited by Entelech; 02-02-2012 at 12:11 AM.
    Give a man a fish, and he demands two more tomorrow.
    Teach a man to fish, and he'll leave to find somebody who'll just give him a fish.
    Beat him unconscious with the fish, and it's comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish21 View Post
    Corellon Larethian created all elves, including the Drow. Drow rebeled and worshiped Lloth.
    Incorrect.

Actually, Llolth was imprisoned ages before the Drow were created, along with the other Lords of Dust. In Eberron, the ancient Giants captured and enslaved a group of Fey beings, and eventually turned them into the modern Eberron Elves.

They also performed magical experiments on some of their favored Elven slaves, fusing the supernatural essence of demons and elementals into their nature, in order to empower their trustees and favorites. Thus, the Drow.

Llolth wouldn't recognize an Eberron Drow if it smacked her across the face with a plush scorpion doll and asked her where its' Giant masters had gotten to.
    Give a man a fish, and he demands two more tomorrow.
    Teach a man to fish, and he'll leave to find somebody who'll just give him a fish.
    Beat him unconscious with the fish, and it's comedy.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678