Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Lightbulb It's Time Has Come - Official Character Planner

I have advocated the idea of an official 'Turbine' character planner for a while. With the advent of a new enhancement system on the horizon, I think it would be an opportune time for the devs to give us, at long last, an 'official' planner to go with it, preferably with an updated, enhanced character sheet.

I say this with all due respect and appreciation for Ron's planner which I have used for every character, and 'almost' character, I have ever made. I think it is time for the devs either make a planner or take Ron's and incorporate it into the game and give it the resources to allow players to delve into creation with 'official' information. Whether it is to pay Ron or create their own, Turbine is in a better position to keep a planner going, accurate, and up-to-date without relying on the goodwill and volunteer time of a player - which could end at any time. I think the planner would not only provide useful information in a clear and concise manner, it would also give DDO the chance to make some enhancements, some long requested. Some of the benefits I can think of:

* brings a planner to all players - not just those that visit the forums and find resources, like Ron's, which an even smaller percentage download and use

* gives new players a process to understand the concepts behind building a character

* demystifies much conflicting and occassionally incorrect information in the advice channel, on the forums (here and elsewhere) and in-game from fellow players

* could give a better character sheet with greater details of character statistics and breakdowns -things like 'stacking' bonuses (what do we have now, 9-10+ different bonus types?)

* give accurate, up-to-date, definitions of feats

* could link to equipment, current and contemplated, especially as it is added to the game after each update

* could allow players to print or export their files to review while off-line; I know for many players, reviewing and reading your character sheet was one of the great joys of D&D of old through the present

* allow for an app to be used on ipads, androids etc which would give you data access on the go - Turbine has better resources to develop these (and charge for them as an add-on)

* could be used on current characters to plan future progression

* give information as to currrent feats or enhancements which are not WAI

I think there are many, many other benefits. If done right, a character planner, with an enhanced character sheet, would add a cool 'old school' pnp feel to the game, imo, which would add an immerisve enjoyment to the game.

Lastly, while I think the feature of a character planner and enhanced character sheet should be implemented free of charge - in the reality of paying the bills - I would even be willing to spend TPs on a planner of high quality being implemented in the game if that is the commitment it takes to get it done.

My 2 cps.
    Last edited by Hafeal; 07-03-2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling; added link to Ron's planner
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

/signed

::edit:: make it for pc, Android, and Apple ****
    Last edited by OkapiMaes; 01-15-2012 at 02:10 PM.

In addition to that, allow the planner to actually update information based on the current status of the character. Sort of a cross between the MyDDO and Ron's planner. I would love nothing more than to be able to search through my stable of characters and actually see what they have in their inventory. Not necessarily to see the bank inventories, but that would be sweet too.

That way we don't have to log on with multiple characters to peruse our inventory. I just want to know where the heck I put that Garos Malice, or extra Portable Hole I was saving for a character to use...

Also, I would love to review my characters off-line. To see what spells they have prepped/learned, enhancements they have trained, feats and the quest completion list. I would love to be able to plan out my gaming session ahead of time, and knowing where I left off on 17+ characters would be a huge game time saver for me.

Excellent idea Hafeal!

Signed!!

You can plan level 1-5 for free, and the rest for only 1595 TP!

I'm piking at work.
    I disarm traps........with my face!
    How do I know that I am better than you are? Because I'm in Thrudh's signature and you're not. That's how.

Default /signed

YES!

I love Ron's planner, but having the option to port equipment details from my actual characters to a planner would be awesome. Also, Ron's planner is in need of a face lift.

It could be built in like your own custom path. When you go to level, the planner takes care of the details based on the choices you made when you created it. You can edit it at any time if you choose.
    "Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -JC
    Check out DDO's #1 Weekly Podcast
    Circle of Night on Ghallanda

/signed

I too have been advocating this for a while. One feature I would like to see in any official character planner is the ability to implement it as a custom character path to replace the horrid preset paths currently available. It would make trainer sessions much faster and eliminate "oops" AP spending.

/signed

With as complicated a system as DDO has for character builds it would be a great boon for both veteran and newer players.

I would also strongly suggest that it link to MyDDO which could have a special section for people's linked builds that could be sortable by various things. That would provide new players an easier way of seeing what popular builds are and getting ideas from them.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

Quote Originally Posted by Rheebus View Post
    It could be built in like your own custom path. When you go to level, the planner takes care of the details based on the choices you made when you created it. You can edit it at any time if you choose.
    This would be so sweet. Custom-build your own paths, share them through MyDDO, and import paths created by others.

/signed! This would be a really great addition to the game.

I would also suggest that if Turbine could add a special zone, in-game, so that we could try our newly created toon (level to 20 and try it) would be more awesome!
    -= Proud member of the MAC guild on Khyber =-
    Aganthor (Completionist (4/13), Human Paladin, L7)
    Alts: Caitlan (Ftr) / Gimlinas (Barb) / Chakmar (Sorc) / Shureyoucan (Monk) / Nessyia (Ranger), Dystran (Cleric), Karkwa (Rogue-Acrobat), Mekkanik (WF FvS), etc.

/signed - to paying ron and allocating some insider info and resources to him.

That planner has been my bible before creation since i began playing, the time and effort that's been put into this essential tool for making sure you're as gimped as you want to be is phenomenal, and i believe it should be officially endorsed and supported, in much the same way another person that spent years informing all of us DDo addicts was finally brought into the Turbine fold not too long ago (i'm sure you all know who i mean, just, don't forget to buff :P).

Great suggestion, Coit out~
    Coitfluff Coitrippr Coitrocket Coittimeh Coitburner Coitin Luciforge Batgirly Coithealz Coithippie StealthCoit: Ghallanda

DDO Producer

What a good idea....

Wish we thought of it. This is on the 'wish list' ATM.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    What a good idea....

Hell just make the Char Creation part of the game avail off-line and add a few tweeks to it, like Ron's.

Glad to see the idea is somewhere in your hopes and dreams tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomalon View Post
    Hell just make the Char Creation part of the game avail off-line and add a few tweeks to it, like Ron's.

Glad to see the idea is somewhere in your hopes and dreams tho.
    Just don't make it part of the actual game. I spend a lot of time piking at work with the character planner!
    I'm piking at work.
    How do I know that I am better than you are? Because I'm in Thrudh's signature and you're not. That's how.

What a good idea....

I've no doubt this has been discussed within the dev cave. Why hasn't it been given priority beyond "wish list" status?

The largest barrier to entry into DDO is lack of or simply incorrect knowledge and the sheer scope of the game. From experience I can tell you having a fairly decent understanding of P&P lead me to create some pootacular characters for a while. Had a true character creator been available in-game, my initial success, and hence, enjoyment would have been greatly increased.

Also, I recently helped my 69 year old father and 67 year old mother create some F2P accounts. They are having a blast, by the way. Without Ron's creator and my two plus years of game experience, they would have been hopelessly befuddled from the start; without a clue about the basics of character creation. Granted, they are likely not the target demographic, but the inclusion of a fully functional character/custom path creator in-game would open it up to many more potential players with reduced risk of gimping characters.

Just my perspective.

Community Member

What a good idea....

If you get there, just devote a small amount of time to collaborate and coordinate with Ron and the people who help him do that planner. That's a great tool already, and no point reinventing the wheel. Make it worth their while with TP or some kind of bonus.

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

Maj - please also pass along the possible marketing benefits of moving that from "wish-list" to "to-do."

Almost every day I see someone on the forums say one of the single biggest attractions to DDO is its flexible character development - imagine how much more powerful that argument would be if it included a planner that could further highlight that flexibility by allowing users to take even better control of their character development.

Thanks for bringing this up. +1

Having an official planner would be really helpful for people not reading the forums and knowing about Ron's.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    Thanks for bringing this up. +1

Having an official planner would be really helpful for people not reading the forums and knowing about Ron's.
    Aye. I can't even imagine how fubar'd my toons would be if I didn't know about that planner.
    I'm piking at work.

Community Member

You should buy the rights to Ron's and web-a-ize it.

Hook the guy up for all the hard work he has done for the community over these many years.
    Blind Faith

Noheels,Ravenwind-Sarlona,FirstOfOne,Kraagg

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast