Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Lightbulb It's Time Has Come - Official Character Planner

I have advocated the idea of an official 'Turbine' character planner for a while. With the advent of a new enhancement system on the horizon, I think it would be an opportune time for the devs to give us, at long last, an 'official' planner to go with it, preferably with an updated, enhanced character sheet.

I say this with all due respect and appreciation for Ron's planner which I have used for every character, and 'almost' character, I have ever made. I think it is time for the devs either make a planner or take Ron's and incorporate it into the game and give it the resources to allow players to delve into creation with 'official' information. Whether it is to pay Ron or create their own, Turbine is in a better position to keep a planner going, accurate, and up-to-date without relying on the goodwill and volunteer time of a player - which could end at any time. I think the planner would not only provide useful information in a clear and concise manner, it would also give DDO the chance to make some enhancements, some long requested. Some of the benefits I can think of:

* brings a planner to all players - not just those that visit the forums and find resources, like Ron's, which an even smaller percentage download and use

* gives new players a process to understand the concepts behind building a character

* demystifies much conflicting and occassionally incorrect information in the advice channel, on the forums (here and elsewhere) and in-game from fellow players

* could give a better character sheet with greater details of character statistics and breakdowns -things like 'stacking' bonuses (what do we have now, 9-10+ different bonus types?)

* give accurate, up-to-date, definitions of feats

* could link to equipment, current and contemplated, especially as it is added to the game after each update

* could allow players to print or export their files to review while off-line; I know for many players, reviewing and reading your character sheet was one of the great joys of D&D of old through the present

* allow for an app to be used on ipads, androids etc which would give you data access on the go - Turbine has better resources to develop these (and charge for them as an add-on)

* could be used on current characters to plan future progression

* give information as to currrent feats or enhancements which are not WAI

I think there are many, many other benefits. If done right, a character planner, with an enhanced character sheet, would add a cool 'old school' pnp feel to the game, imo, which would add an immerisve enjoyment to the game.

Lastly, while I think the feature of a character planner and enhanced character sheet should be implemented free of charge - in the reality of paying the bills - I would even be willing to spend TPs on a planner of high quality being implemented in the game if that is the commitment it takes to get it done.

My 2 cps.
    Last edited by Hafeal; 07-03-2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling; added link to Ron's planner
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

/signed

::edit:: make it for pc, Android, and Apple ****
    Last edited by OkapiMaes; 01-15-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OkapiMaes View Post
    ::edit:: make it for pc, Android, and Apple
    Make it usable on my tablet!

/Signed!

In addition to that, allow the planner to actually update information based on the current status of the character. Sort of a cross between the MyDDO and Ron's planner. I would love nothing more than to be able to search through my stable of characters and actually see what they have in their inventory. Not necessarily to see the bank inventories, but that would be sweet too.

That way we don't have to log on with multiple characters to peruse our inventory. I just want to know where the heck I put that Garos Malice, or extra Portable Hole I was saving for a character to use...

Also, I would love to review my characters off-line. To see what spells they have prepped/learned, enhancements they have trained, feats and the quest completion list. I would love to be able to plan out my gaming session ahead of time, and knowing where I left off on 17+ characters would be a huge game time saver for me.

Excellent idea Hafeal!

Signed!!

You can plan level 1-5 for free, and the rest for only 1595 TP!

I'm piking at work.
    I disarm traps........with my face!
    How do I know that I am better than you are? Because I'm in Thrudh's signature and you're not. That's how.

Quote Originally Posted by somenewnoob View Post
    You can plan level 1-5 for free, and the rest for only 1595 TP!

Dude... *shakes head no*

What I would like to see in this is that the character planner being built into the class trainers. That way, if you don't have time to run quests, you could go to your trainer and embark on planning your character's future levels.

Then, when it's time to level up, as long as you've done the planning so far, give an option to level up manually, or to automatically pick the selections that you've planned for.

Terrific suggestion. This could potentially demystify a lot of things in the game: why multi-class builds should be done carefully, not dumping CON, etc.
    PLEASE FIX LAG. PLEASE FIX BUGS.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OkapiMaes View Post
    /signed

Make it for PC, Android, and Apple ****
    I personally don't have a cell but this would be a great addition I ALWAYS have a notepad out to scratch out builds ideas and most of the time I end up with a few misclculations...this would help avoid that

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthey View Post
    Dude... *shakes head no*
    Yeah than make it online ONLY and release it with thousands of bugs...sorry guys I couldn't help poking fun on a less hostile forum (Just try saying anything bad about WoTC on their forums)

What I would like to see in this is that the character planner being built into the class trainers. That way, if you don't have time to run quests, you could go to your trainer and embark on planning your character's future levels.

Then, when it's time to level up, as long as you've done the planning so far, give an option to level up manually, or to automatically pick the selections that you've planned for.
    That's an excellent idea especially since the Trainers will have less to do when the new UI launches and becomes part of the UI available in any public area

Quote Originally Posted by AMDarkwolf View Post
    Make Ron's official, pay him a fair price, the planner he has made and kept updated has by far been more than adequate. If they DID try some thing like that, I would HOPE Ron had some legal way to sue the pants off them for 'stealing' his idea.
    I'm not sure how all the legal stuff would work out with this but I'd say give him credit and a Lifetime VIP or something

On that note Ron if you DO plan to continue the builder after the change good speed...for that will take ALOT of work
    Last edited by Failedlegend; 01-16-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    I'm not sure how all the legal stuff would work out with this but I'd say give him credit and a Lifetime VIP or something

On that note Ron if you DO plan to continue the builder after the change good speed...for that will take ALOT of work
    I wouldn't say no to a lifetime VIP, hehe.

I too would like to see something official added to the game. As was said earlier, a way to set up a custom character path ahead of time would be great, such that when you went to the trainer, all your choices for that level would be sitting there waiting for you (similar to how the predefined paths work right now).

On the other hand, an offline planner seems to be pretty important too, as I know people use it during their non-play time (it's good to know that I am directly responsible for loss of work-hours productivity ). So it would be nice if there was a separate executable that one could take with them to work (or I suppose it could even be web based). The subsequent builds would have to be importable into the in-game builder through some method (perhaps placing the saved build into a particular folder in the DDO directory?).

I would hope that both the in-game version and the offline version were just aspects of the same program (I know I wouldn't want to have to separately maintain both). But that may be tricky (e.g. the in-game version would have access to the DDO database for things like enhancements, spells, classes, and so forth, while the off-line version would not). So stuff like that would have to be thought out.

That would be the ideal situation, I think. Don't know how achievable that would actually be.

Now, as to whether Turbine wanted to use my planner as a base or simply roll their own, of course that's entirely up to them. They are certainly welcome to peruse the codebase that I have, if they think it would be helpful.

Finally, if they wanted me to do any of this coding, I'm sure we could work that out as well. I would humbly offer my services for such a project, if they were interested. But of course, I would totally understand if they wanted their own internal team to handle it. These are the sort of things that are up to the higher-ups, heh.
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    it's good to know that I am directly responsible for loss of work-hours productivity
    Probably more than what you think

Now, as to whether Turbine wanted to use my planner as a base or simply roll their own, of course that's entirely up to them. They are certainly welcome to peruse the codebase that I have, if they think it would be helpful.
    +1 for that.

Thanks again for your work, and thanks for letting us use it. Saves us a lot of headaches.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Thanks for chiming in Ron, and, again, thank you for the planner and all you have done with it.

I think you deserve it as a de facto DDO dev, I hope they grant one to you or offer some similar compensation for your time, effort and product.

Finally, if they wanted me to do any of this coding, I'm sure we could work that out as well. I would humbly offer my services for such a project, if they were interested.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again:

Turbine - HIRE THIS GUY!!!!!
    UDR Loot Rules:
    1) No griefing people for pulling loot that dropped in their name
    2) When rolling, classes for which the item is "useful" get +10 to the roll
    example: Wiz and Barb both roll on a Torc, the barb saying "I'm TRing into an arcane next week"
    Wiz gets +10 on his roll

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Talking Ron is promoted

So, Ron, I noticed in my 'official' e-mail from Turbine on 4/20/12, we were given the link to your planner. I think this makes you 'official' now!

love this idea.

one thing I would like to see (and would create myself if i had any kind of programmer-fu)
    is a "build tester"

a tool that lets us, to a reasonable degree, test the viability of builds without investing weeks, sometimes months, to level them up

we've ALL been there. we create a build we think will work, only to get up to high level, or even cap, and find it fatally flawed.

i know its unlikely to happen. even if Turbine charged big bucks for it, it would cut into Heart sales, which is bad for the bottom line, but a guy can dream, right?
    The Funniest Thing I've Ever Read
    Toons: Twengor (pal), Margween (Bard/FTR/Rogue), Nestrana (wiz), Ammerlyn (Arti), Ostarin (Monk) on Cannith

Default /signed

YES!

I love Ron's planner, but having the option to port equipment details from my actual characters to a planner would be awesome. Also, Ron's planner is in need of a face lift.

It could be built in like your own custom path. When you go to level, the planner takes care of the details based on the choices you made when you created it. You can edit it at any time if you choose.
    "Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?" -JC
    Check out DDO's #1 Weekly Podcast
    Circle of Night on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by Rheebus View Post
    It could be built in like your own custom path. When you go to level, the planner takes care of the details based on the choices you made when you created it. You can edit it at any time if you choose.
    This would be so sweet. Custom-build your own paths, share them through MyDDO, and import paths created by others.

/signed

I too have been advocating this for a while. One feature I would like to see in any official character planner is the ability to implement it as a custom character path to replace the horrid preset paths currently available. It would make trainer sessions much faster and eliminate "oops" AP spending.

/signed

With as complicated a system as DDO has for character builds it would be a great boon for both veteran and newer players.

I would also strongly suggest that it link to MyDDO which could have a special section for people's linked builds that could be sortable by various things. That would provide new players an easier way of seeing what popular builds are and getting ideas from them.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

/signed! This would be a really great addition to the game.

I would also suggest that if Turbine could add a special zone, in-game, so that we could try our newly created toon (level to 20 and try it) would be more awesome!
    -= Proud member of the MAC guild on Khyber =-
    Aganthor (Completionist (4/13), Human Paladin, L7)
    Alts: Caitlan (Ftr) / Gimlinas (Barb) / Chakmar (Sorc) / Shureyoucan (Monk) / Nessyia (Ranger), Dystran (Cleric), Karkwa (Rogue-Acrobat), Mekkanik (WF FvS), etc.

/signed - to paying ron and allocating some insider info and resources to him.

That planner has been my bible before creation since i began playing, the time and effort that's been put into this essential tool for making sure you're as gimped as you want to be is phenomenal, and i believe it should be officially endorsed and supported, in much the same way another person that spent years informing all of us DDo addicts was finally brought into the Turbine fold not too long ago (i'm sure you all know who i mean, just, don't forget to buff :P).

Great suggestion, Coit out~
    Coitfluff Coitrippr Coitrocket Coittimeh Coitburner Coitin Luciforge Batgirly Coithealz Coithippie StealthCoit: Ghallanda

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast