Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hero

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    What a good idea....

Wish we thought of it. This is on the 'wish list' ATM.
    Why even mention it? "Wish list" = stuff that will get implemented when pigs, I mean Horcs, fly. Core things like druids aren't even in game. Just being realistic.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    Why even mention it? "Wish list" = stuff that will get implemented when pigs, I mean Horcs, fly.
    Thanks for that Captain Pessimism
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

To be honest I'd be happy with just getting official data dumps from Turbine in the same way CCP creates data dumps for EVE. It would certainly make life a lot easier for those of us creating applications. A huge amount of the work is keeping data files / databases up to date. That's one of the main reasons I haven't attempted an Android character planner.

Community Member

Default Android app

All I want is a character builder in an android app.

1. I don't care if its official Turbine or not
    2. I would never pay for it, but advertisements won't be a bother if they are held back to a reasonable amount
    3. App should be able to run without network access.......planes, trains, automobiles this is a great time waster much more fun than angry birds for a DDO enthusiast

I hope someone steps up, it would be handy and fun. DDO Sage has already become something i use more often then i expected when i downloaded it!
    RTFM on Khyber

signed and adding:

Give us a feature to print out/export all of a character's equipment (equipped, in inventory, in bank, and in TR bank) with all important information.

For example:
    Code:
    Name, Type (Metal type if applicable), Prefix type, (prefix modifier if applicable), Suffix (suffix modifier), Min Level, RR, UMD needed, [extra effect 1, extra effect 2, extra effect...]

Of course, allowing a global list based on account would be awesome as well, and have it include stuff in all collectable bags ingredient bags so we can find all this **** we have over 10 to 40 toons.

Quote Originally Posted by MeliCat View Post
    /signed

But I would like to see Ron get some sort of acknowledge or note of thanks in such a planner in recognition of the many years of extremely valuable service to us.
    Perhaps the NPC that you go to talk to in order to do your character planning would be named "Ron." A small, in-game nod to Ron for his wonderful planner tool.
    PLEASE FIX LAG. PLEASE FIX BUGS.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cauthey View Post
    Perhaps the NPC that you go to talk to in order to do your character planning would be named "Ron." A small, in-game nod to Ron for his wonderful planner tool.
    /Signed for the planner and also something as tribute to Ron (as above).

I feel that as a VIP this should be included as part os your subscription while premium/ftp players could have the option to get it for $xx turbine points. I'm a premium player and would pay to get a planner like this.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Thumbs up Great idea

I like that - it would give an additional 'perk', of legitimate value, to being ViP.

Quote Originally Posted by avery61 View Post
    I feel that as a VIP this should be included as part os your subscription while premium/ftp players could have the option to get it for $xx turbine points. I'm a premium player and would pay to get a planner like this.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Quote Originally Posted by Hafeal View Post
    I like that - it would give an additional 'perk', of legitimate value, to being ViP.
    I wasn't going to suggest making the Ron trainer a P2P, TP purchasable thing.

However, I am ALL for giving the VIPs their due perks. Hell yeah, and /signed.
    PLEASE FIX LAG. PLEASE FIX BUGS.

Ooooooh yes, signed

Roberin (TR1 H-Elf Mnk8/Ftr12) - Lawnmoweird (TR4 Hum Mnk 20*) - Brokarg (TR1 Human 16brd/2ftr/2rog) - Lawnmowerman (TR1 H-Elf Mnk2/Ftr18*) Aibhilin (TR1 Human Wiz PM20) Lawnmowiper (WF Art 20) - Selanin (Drow 2mnk/12pal/6ftr) Elissea (H-Elf Rog 20*) * In progress

Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    Thanks for that Captain Pessimism
    Can you really blame me for being pessimistic? There are tons of great suggestions in this forum, and out of all of them, the only Turbine employee interaction players get is a "wishful thinking" response. The players are the heart of this community and closest to the problems, but discussions initiated by players are largely ignored by Turbine. The suggestions forum is a black hole of misplaced hope. Don't believe me? The last time someone from Turbine responded to a thread in the Suggestions forum was November 14, more than two months ago: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...55#post4171955

I truly wish it was different. I try to make a difference by offering my suggestions here repeatedly, and supporting great ideas posted by others. I know it doesn't seem like much to you Turbine, but even a "read by a dev" comment in a suggestions thread you agree with would go a long way.
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    I'm not sure how all the legal stuff would work out with this but I'd say give him credit and a Lifetime VIP or something

On that note Ron if you DO plan to continue the builder after the change good speed...for that will take ALOT of work
    I wouldn't say no to a lifetime VIP, hehe.

I too would like to see something official added to the game. As was said earlier, a way to set up a custom character path ahead of time would be great, such that when you went to the trainer, all your choices for that level would be sitting there waiting for you (similar to how the predefined paths work right now).

On the other hand, an offline planner seems to be pretty important too, as I know people use it during their non-play time (it's good to know that I am directly responsible for loss of work-hours productivity ). So it would be nice if there was a separate executable that one could take with them to work (or I suppose it could even be web based). The subsequent builds would have to be importable into the in-game builder through some method (perhaps placing the saved build into a particular folder in the DDO directory?).

I would hope that both the in-game version and the offline version were just aspects of the same program (I know I wouldn't want to have to separately maintain both). But that may be tricky (e.g. the in-game version would have access to the DDO database for things like enhancements, spells, classes, and so forth, while the off-line version would not). So stuff like that would have to be thought out.

That would be the ideal situation, I think. Don't know how achievable that would actually be.

Now, as to whether Turbine wanted to use my planner as a base or simply roll their own, of course that's entirely up to them. They are certainly welcome to peruse the codebase that I have, if they think it would be helpful.

Finally, if they wanted me to do any of this coding, I'm sure we could work that out as well. I would humbly offer my services for such a project, if they were interested. But of course, I would totally understand if they wanted their own internal team to handle it. These are the sort of things that are up to the higher-ups, heh.
    The locus of my identity is totally exterior to me.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    it's good to know that I am directly responsible for loss of work-hours productivity
    Probably more than what you think

Now, as to whether Turbine wanted to use my planner as a base or simply roll their own, of course that's entirely up to them. They are certainly welcome to peruse the codebase that I have, if they think it would be helpful.
    +1 for that.

Thanks again for your work, and thanks for letting us use it. Saves us a lot of headaches.

I touched on this in one of the earlier 'end of the week' threads. Or maybe it was Maj's 'top 3 things you'd like to see' thread. Anyways, Maj did hint that it was something that'd be good for the game, and that they were talking about it. Who knows where that'll go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

I'd love to see an official planner (hopefully released with the new enhancement trees before they go to Llama Land) and the ability to plan out your own custom made leveling path would be awesome indeed. I see two stumbling blocks for that though.

1. Many people will hold off selecting enhancements til level 20 and would instead have to actually spend the AP as the build acquired them. Not a huge problem of course, but something that could become a very annoying wrinkle for some.
    2. Tomes, tomes, tomes. Most every build posted on the forums relies on a +2 tome to qualify for some feat or other. You can't really just say "No Tomes" either as skill points from an Int tome need to be accounted for either way. The best way I can see to handle it is when you import a build as a path and use tomes, that you get an alert icon in your buff bar telling you which tomes the build is planning on. Then when you talk to the trainer you can continue on the path if you've eaten the tome or level up anyway without the path, doing it manually.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Thanks for chiming in Ron, and, again, thank you for the planner and all you have done with it.

I think you deserve it as a de facto DDO dev, I hope they grant one to you or offer some similar compensation for your time, effort and product.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Quote Originally Posted by MaxwellEdison View Post
    I'd love to see an official planner (hopefully released with the new enhancement trees before they go to Llama Land) and the ability to plan out your own custom made leveling path would be awesome indeed. I see two stumbling blocks for that though.

Many people will hold off selecting enhancements til level 20 and would instead have to actually spend the AP as the build acquired them. Not a huge problem of course, but something that could become a very annoying wrinkle for some.
    This is not insurmountable. The current planner has a button for this very purpose. You set up your enhancements at level 20, hit the button, and the planner distributes them amongst your levels automagically. I would envision the same sort of thing for an in-game planner.

Tomes, tomes, tomes. Most every build posted on the forums relies on a +2 tome to qualify for some feat or other. You can't really just say "No Tomes" either as skill points from an Int tome need to be accounted for either way. The best way I can see to handle it is when you import a build as a path and use tomes, that you get an alert icon in your buff bar telling you which tomes the build is planning on. Then when you talk to the trainer you can continue on the path if you've eaten the tome or level up anyway without the path, doing it manually.
    Tomes can be tricky. The planner allows for them (and I'm sure they could be set up the same way), but they do have wrinkles wrt lesser/greater reincarnates. Of course, having planned for a tome, the player needs to come up with it in-game. But that is the same deal as the current planner.

Having planned out a build, I don't see that they need to be set in stone. You could level up to 10, pull the build into the in-game planner, and still modify the plan from 11-20, so in that respect, if they player doesn't come up with a tome when they thought they would, it's not as big a deal.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." - Satoru Iwata

DDO Character Planner (Version 04.25.03) (Preview Screenshot) - Now with Warlocky goodness!
    Let's Play DDO!! - My attempt to video document a FULL runthrough of DDO, completionist style (Currently working through level 3 quests)

This is not insurmountable. The current planner has a button for this very purpose. You set up your enhancements at level 20, hit the button, and the planner distributes them amongst your levels automagically. I would envision the same sort of thing for an in-game planner.
    I have never used this before, but certainly will now.

Tomes can be tricky. The planner allows for them (and I'm sure they could be set up the same way), but they do have wrinkles wrt lesser/greater reincarnates. Of course, having planned for a tome, the player needs to come up with it in-game. But that is the same deal as the current planner.

Having planned out a build, I don't see that they need to be set in stone. You could level up to 10, pull the build into the in-game planner, and still modify the plan from 11-20, so in that respect, if they player doesn't come up with a tome when they thought they would, it's not as big a deal.
    And suddenly my concerns are assuaged and my outlook brightened.

Community Member

Good idea. So long as it gets updated appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxwellEdison View Post
    And suddenly my concerns are assuaged and my outlook brightened.
    Hehe. Well, don't let me give you a false sense of security either. That's what would happen if *I* were doing it. But I'm not, so it's up to the Turbine coding team at this point (assuming this goes forward at all).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast