Community Member

Default time line, where and when was BG??

Im currious about this whole stormreach time line compared to baldurs gate. I know the areas arent really connected as stormreach is supose to be a new realm, But i was currious if there was any sort of time frame that i could compare the two together?

Basically as im replaying BG+BGII, as i havent played them in over 7+ years, and im enjoying it greatly and the lore is kinda fresh in my mind so to speak. I also started a new RP group here, i kinda got thinking to use a small village in BG as my home town. (not sure if any of you remember gullykin, the halfling village near firewine) But i thought it would be kinda fun. toss in the random child of baal story, or just make some references to the sword coast.

Basically i sorta left my characters as recently off the boat from some place across the great ocean. And using someplace that sorta exists might just make it easier than pulling everything out of my arse as i go along I mean sure, i could just make it a nameless village, and come up with it all myself, but BG has a soft place in my heart being even to this day the most impactfull computer Dnd game i've ever played in my 30+ years of computer gaming.

So basically, Is there any sort of timeline, or is it just like 1000's of years, or not even in the same realm? Cause honestly even if its not connected, i could do it.. But it would just make it that much more interesting if there was some semblence of making sence to this game/erra.

thoughts?

Different world entirly. Forgotten realms vs ebberon.
    Matt Walsh:
    But Truth is eternal, so it can never be old or new. It never ‘was’ or ‘will be.’ It just ‘is.’ It always ‘is.’

Aside from being two completely different settings (and thus no timeline continuity), the bigger problem really lies in what makes Eberron so different from Forgotten Realms. In Eberron's setting, magic has pretty much replaced science and everything in the world is brimming with magic, or at least magic potential. In Forgotten Realms, magic is still mysterious and understood only by those that study it.

You could fudge around with it, after all it is your campaign to do what you want with; but from a logical standpoint the two settings just really don't mix.

On the other hand, a lot of settings are fairly interchangeable. I often toyed with the idea of making a Dark Sun setting based around it taking place in the future of an Eberron setting, since Dark Sun is essentially an apocalyptic setting caused by overuse/misuse of magic. Here's a solid list that gives some basic setting summaries:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon...paign_settings

nowhere two different worlds

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Community Member

thanks for the info people

Quote Originally Posted by Credinus View Post
    Aside from being two completely different settings (and thus no timeline continuity), the bigger problem really lies in what makes Eberron so different from Forgotten Realms. In Eberron's setting, magic has pretty much replaced science and everything in the world is brimming with magic, or at least magic potential. In Forgotten Realms, magic is still mysterious and understood only by those that study it.
    One word: Halruua

different crystal spheres. (think universes)

no connection what so ever unless you delve into the 0 point theory discussed in planescape, I very much doubt DDO is going there.
    Ex Euro player from devourer: Charaters on orien(Officer of Under Estimated & Nightfox): Wrothgar, Cobolt, Shadeweaver, TheMetal, Metaphysical, Allfred, Razortusk and many more.
    stuff by me: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...02#post4938302

Quote Originally Posted by Havok.cry View Post
    Different world entirly. Forgotten realms vs ebberon.
    Duct tape will solve all your out of cosmos issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    You may now return to your WoW bashing.
    Fweebie
    "Crouching Tiger Hidden Nerfbat!"

Community Member

well it seems there is a connection.. or atleast will be in the next expansion..

atleast i can now talk about forgotton realms, as they WIll be connected as of this june..
    Last edited by treehugger20; 01-24-2012 at 03:23 PM.

Community Member Wraith_Sarevok's Avatar

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by treehugger20 View Post
    well it seems there is a connection.. or atleast will be in the next expansion..

atleast i can now talk about forgotton realms, as they WIll be connected as of this june..

There's no timeline continuity right now.

Eberron takes place on a different planet in a different solar system with a different history. Races evolved differently here. We can't just look at a calendar and compare it to Baldur's Gate (takes place in 1368 DR by the way) because the races' calendars in Eberron are based on a different system.

I can tell you that all of the events in Dungeons & Dragons Online take place in a sequential timeline based on the quest level. So all of the quests at level 1 happen before any of the quests at level 2. All of the raids at level 20 happened after the raids at level 17. And so on. The only exception is The Chronoscope because it involves traveling back in time to before the game's quests ever started (when the Stormreach marketplace was destroyed and the Subterrane was filled with devils).

I can also tell you that the expansion is 3.5 edition content and will take place after the entire Baldur's Gate saga. Because it's been established in the lore that ALL 3rd and 3.5 edition events took place after 2nd edition AD&D events (the ruleset that Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II are based on). Neverwinter Nights, also a 3rd edition game, took place in 1372 DR which was 4 years after Baldur's Gate. I assume the expansion will also take place around this year.
    Khyber: Iqus Tres (Half-Orc Barbarian 20 / Epic 5 / Legendary Dreadnought 5), Ixupi (Drow Sorcerer 20), Outlake (Warforged 7 Monk-in-progress), Petroglyph (Warforged Artificer 16)

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith_Sarevok View Post

I can tell you that all of the events in Dungeons & Dragons Online take place in a sequential timeline based on the quest level. So all of the quests at level 1 happen before any of the quests at level 2. All of the raids at level 20 happened after the raids at level 17. And so on. The only exception is The Chronoscope because it involves traveling back in time to before the game's quests ever started (when the Stormreach marketplace was destroyed and the Subterrane was filled with devils).
    Actually, the Marketplace Tent was destroyed in 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLq20Xsmh3U

In particular, this happened in Module 6.1, a bit after the level cap was increased to 16, and in particular before any level 17+ quest was introduced.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by karl_k0ch View Post
    Actually, the Marketplace Tent was destroyed in 2008: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLq20Xsmh3U

In particular, this happened in Module 6.1, a bit after the level cap was increased to 16, and in particular before any level 17+ quest was introduced.
    Slight derail.
    Man, i think that was the best time in ddo. World announcements came up warning all low level characters to get out the marketplace. The devils started swarming through portals and higher level characters formed raid parties to hold various sections of the market. The battles went on for days and then the devils retreated to the tent, sealing it with a force field. You gotta understand, all the merchants were in the tent before that, then they took safety in the rusty nail....they were all just loitering.

The area where the twelve is located had been locked since launch day but now wizards were coming out of there to help us figure out what the devils next move would be. After a few days BOOM! the tent gets nuked and we uncover a magic stone seal under where the tent use to stand.

Then there was a race to be the first server to unlock the seal. The entire server organized by the major guilds had to run raids to retreive tokens, that once we had enough as a server would unlock the seal. Characters and alts were run in cycles until all the characters on the server were on timers. I think it took a week but ghallanda was the second to unlock the new content, losing out on 1st by less than 5 mins to argo i think. the shroud raid on argo kill harry just that much faster than the g-land raid......that was the deciding run.

Those were the days.

Beholders in the harbor
    Wf titans in gianthold
    Evil wizards controlled by live gms attacking players and spawning monsters in tavern

No one was safe anywhere and the community was never tighter.
    You could mention a character by name and most players would say, yeah i heard of him (sometimes a good thing, sometimes not)

RIP Natt Gann & +Sir Lawrence of Denieth They never gave up in the face of death and doom
    Last edited by captain1z; 06-14-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    Ever bleed out in a thornbush? Welcome to UD14.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captain1z View Post
    Slight derail.
    Man, i think that was the best time in ddo. World announcements came up warning all low level characters to get out the marketplace. The devils started swarming through portals and higher level characters formed raid parties to hold various sections of the market. The battles went on for days and then the devils retreated to the tent, sealing it with a force field. You gotta understand, all the merchants were in the tent before that, then they took safety in the rusty nail....they were all just loitering.

The area where the twelve is located had been locked since launch day but now wizards were coming out of there to help us figure out what the devils next move would be. After a few days BOOM! the tent gets nuked and we uncover a magic stone seal under where the tent use to stand.

Then there was a race to be the first server to unlock the seal. The entire server organized by the major guilds had to run raids to retreive tokens, that once we had enough as a server would unlock the seal. Characters and alts were run in cycles until all the characters on the server were on timers. I think it took a week but ghallanda was the second to unlock the new content, losing out on 1st by less than 5 mins to argo i think. the shroud raid on argo kill harry just that much faster than the g-land raid......that was the deciding run.

Those were the days.

Beholders in the harbor
    Wf titans in gianthold
    Evil wizards controlled by live gms attacking players and spawning monsters in tavern

No one was safe anywhere and the community was never tighter.
    You could mention a character by name and most players would say, yeah i heard of him (sometimes a good thing, sometimes not)

RIP Natt Gann & +Sir Lawrence of Denieth They never gave up in the face of death and doom
    I must say that sounds freaking excellent, I wish I had been here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Meridia Suburb of Stormreach, Xen'Drik. But have a vacation home in Cordova, Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    It was much cooler live than in The Chronoscope, but I still like watching the tent blow up again.
    -Khyber- Loreseekers, Guild Leader
    Hordorabbi ~ Hordiva ~ Hordazzle ~ Hordorc ~ Hordeau ~ And dozens of other HordoToons™!
    High Rabbi of DDO
    Loreseekers Guild ~ H.o.r.d.o.'s How-To Guides @Loreseekers

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Oh i forgot one of the best parts.

When you killed a devil in the marketplace, he dropped loot.

Everything on the loot tables was up for grabs. Mostly ingredient bags, chill shards, dwarven throwers and a vorpal dropped here and there but RAID LOOT started dropping also.

The stuff would drop to the ground with a clang sound and anybody nearby could ninja it. Sometimes u wouldnt see it cus it fell in a bush, they someone else walking by would be like "holy carp fish".
    And ham rained from the sky...........really.

Year 1, if u had a vorpal of any kind, you were leet. If 1 in 100 players had 1 it was a lot. By year 2 you were a gimp if you didnt have a vorpal, paralyzer, smiter, disrupter and a banisher on every melee. You had to have a full set to be taken seriously. Nowadays all that stuff is vendor trash or crafting bits. New guys got it e z, re-useable shrines, quests with more than 1 shrine.

We had 1 shrine.....and it was at the end of the quest to raise those who died before we got there. You wanted to get raised, you better find a 9 th level cleric and put the scrolls in his hand.

And curses lasted until you found a priest or logged out for 10 mins. player clerics stayed in taverns healing and removing curses.....cus thats the only way it was gonna happen.
    Last edited by captain1z; 06-14-2012 at 10:35 PM.
    Ever bleed out in a thornbush? Welcome to UD14.