Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WF Artificer Build

Can I get some feedback on this build? I want him to be caster focused as much as I can.

32 Point Build - Warforged

STATS
    STR 8
    DEX 16 (+1 Ability Raise, +2 Tome to make 19 for Improved Precise Shot)
    CON 16
    INT 18 (+ 4 Ability Raise)
    WIS 6
    CHA 6

FEATS I'm still not happy with the feat order.

1 Point Blank Shot
    3 Toughness
    4 Augment Summoning
    6 Rapid Shot
    8 Precise Shot
    9 Heighten
    12 Maximize
    12 Improved Critical: Ranged
    15 Improved Precise Shot
    16 Mental Toughness
    18 Empower
    20 Quicken

SKILLS
    UMD
    Concentration
    DD
    Search
    Open Lock
    Spot
    Jump
    Balance

Any Feedback would be great!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Last-Wolf View Post
    I surrender to your wit sir, well played
    Toons on Thelanis... Bairclaw, Icemaachine, Slydawg, Tazzster

Take quicken a lot sooner. Like level 6 soon. You get your most powerful lowbie spell which is flame turret at that level. The worst thing about it is it takes forever to cast. The last thing you need is to be surrounded by mobs and drop this slow casting spell and right before your last leg of the animation you get hit and fail a concentration save. Other then that. It's a pretty solid build.
    TR'd: Oloam | Wudiso | Nurinil | Dolurth | Quoer | Alyinsa
    Others: Olotho | Olefir | Dolrrh | Baroril
    Proud Member of Elite Raiders
    www.eliteraiders.net

Augment Summoning has great efficiency early, and to me Tougness does not. I don't usually throw in Toughness til near level 10 personlly, but at least swap it with Augment.

Heighten does very little on an Arty. The 2 best offensive spells (BB, Tactical Detonation) are max level anyway and can't be heightened. Flame turret is a summon, and so has no DC. What do you think you want to Heighten?
    Ghallanda
    Thairos - ETRing Artificer * Khryll - 28 Clonk * Jarkxle - 28 Swashbuckler * Jaherian - 25 Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Kilnedric View Post
    Heighten does very little on an Arty. The 2 best offensive spells (BB, Tactical Detonation) are max level anyway and can't be heightened. Flame turret is a summon, and so has no DC. What do you think you want to Heighten?
    Didn't see the heighten my first pass. But yeah, no need for heighten on an Arti.
    TR'd: Oloam | Wudiso | Nurinil | Dolurth | Quoer | Alyinsa
    Others: Olotho | Olefir | Dolrrh | Baroril
    Proud Member of Elite Raiders
    www.eliteraiders.net

Ok, so I can move Quicken up, but what should I replace Heighten with?

Improved Mental Toughness?
    Rapid Reload?
    Shot on the run?
    Toughness?

Community Member RedDragonScale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jortann View Post

Rapid Reload?
    Rapid Reload is Auto-granted to Artificers.

Remove:

Heighten
    Mental Toughness

Add:

Insightful Reflexes
    Weapon Focus: Ranged

Improved Mental Toughness?
    Rapid Reload?
    Shot on the run?
    Toughness?
    I would add Insightful Reflexes.
    In the spirit of why you had Heighten, you could consider Spell Focus Evocation.

I dont think Mental Toughness or Improved Mental Toughness are needed, but they're not bad.
    You alread have Rapid Reload for free.
    Shot on the Run has too many pre-reqs.
    Toughness never hurts.
    Ghallanda
    Thairos - ETRing Artificer * Khryll - 28 Clonk * Jarkxle - 28 Swashbuckler * Jaherian - 25 Druid

Ok, I reworked the feats. And I decided to TR my rogue into my Artificer. I'm still not sure I am happy with the order. I basically want to take 3 feats at level 6....

So, how does it look? Any thoughts?

1 - Toughness
    3 - Augment Summons
    4 - Point Blank Shot
    6 - Maximize
    8 - Quicken
    9 - Rapid Shot
    12 - Precise Shot
    12 - Improved Precise Shot
    15 - Improved Critical (ranged)
    16 - Past Life: Rogue
    18 - Mental Toughness
    20 - Empower

I don't get the fascination you have with Mental Toughness.

I honestly believe Insightful Reflexes will serve you better.

Also, what's so great about the Rogue Past Life feat?

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragonScale View Post
    I don't get the fascination you have with Mental Toughness.
    I normally play casters, so obviously I love to have spell points. Some may even say I am fascinated by them.

I honestly believe Insightful Reflexes will serve you better.
    I don't get the fascination you have with Insightful Reflexes.

Also, what's so great about the Rogue Past Life feat?
    I don't know if its great, but its not bad. Plus I got a rogue that just sits at level 20 and does nothing so I thought I would TR him. It looks like an ok choice. I'm not seeing any other feats out there that are screaming Awesomeness at me.

Unless you have something to suggest....

Unless you have something to suggest....
    Well, we're just not going to see eye-to-eye when it comes to Insightful Reflexes vs. Mental Toughness but heck, I think another Toughness feat would be more useful than the Rogue Past Life feat.

Well, we're just not going to see eye-to-eye when it comes to Insightful Reflexes vs. Mental Toughness but heck, I think another Toughness feat would be more useful than the Rogue Past Life feat.
    Someone told me insightful reflexes is not all that helpful at level 20.... I am testing out that theory with a wizard build I have now. So, the jury is still out.

As for Toughness vs. Rogue Past Life...

From the wiki.... a +1 bonus to sneak attack damage for every two character levels, and a +1 bonus to hit with sneak attacks for every four levels.

If I am reading that correctly....at level 20 thats +10 SA damage and a +5 to hit when SAing.

I think that might be better than 22 hitpoints, but that may just be me.

From the wiki.... a +1 bonus to sneak attack damage for every two character levels, and a +1 bonus to hit with sneak attacks for every four levels.

If I am reading that correctly....at level 20 thats +10 SA damage and a +5 to hit when SAing.

I think that might be better than 22 hitpoints, but that may just be me.
    Wow, if that's correct, that's pretty nice. If you could reliably get into SA positions with an Artificer, that would certainly be the feat to take.

It's a clicky that lasts for 1 minute, and you get three.
    Guilds: Prophets of the New Republic & Revenents Khyber
    Active:
    Clean 18barb/2ftr Cleen 20arti Kleaner 20monk Darkstaar Dark Knight Psyborg 20sorc Warrwitch 20wiz Roque 19rog/1mnk Killeric 18fvs/2monk AA Duality Helves Angel
    Builds: Helves Angel Hurtlocker Dark Knight Riddle of Steel

Insightful Reflexes is fantastic on a high-Int, low-Dex character. I consider it non-negotiable on any wizard build, where it can often add +15 or so to your reflex save. Nothing helps your endgame survivability as much as reliably saving against spells.

The thing is, most artificers have pretty high dex already, to get IPS, so the relative value of Insightful Reflexes drops. I think it makes sense to look at your final gear and stat plan before deciding. I wouldn't take Insightful Reflexes unless your final, geared-up Int is going to be at least 8 or so points higher than your final Dex. That's often the case on artificers, but not always.

Past Life:Sneak of Shadows is awesome, though. If you can fit it, take it. 3 one-minute clickies of +10 damage/+5 attack, which can be used simultaneously with Endless Fusillade? That's some serious boss DPS. It's definitely one of the better past lives for an artificer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Star View Post
    It's a clicky that lasts for 1 minute, and you get three.
    Ugh. Past Life: Rogue is a sucky feat then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardtrick View Post
    Insightful Reflexes is fantastic on a high-Int, low-Dex character. I consider it non-negotiable on any wizard build, where it can often add +15 or so to your reflex save. Nothing helps your endgame survivability as much as reliably saving against spells.
    Agreed.

The thing is, most artificers have pretty high dex already, to get IPS, so the relative value of Insightful Reflexes drops. I think it makes sense to look at your final gear and stat plan before deciding. I wouldn't take Insightful Reflexes unless your final, geared-up Int is going to be at least 8 or so points higher than your final Dex. That's often the case on artificers, but not always.
    My Arti has a 40 Int (+15) and a 26 Dex (+8). Insightful Reflexes helps my Arti out TONS.

Past Life:Sneak of Shadows is awesome, though. If you can fit it, take it. 3 one-minute clickies of +10 damage/+5 attack, which can be used simultaneously with Endless Fusillade? That's some serious boss DPS. It's definitely one of the better past lives for an artificer.
    You only get that extra damage of you are in a position where you would get a SA, correct?

Unless the Monster is Blind, there's no way you can count on getting that ranged SA reliably.

IMO, the feat sucks.
    Last edited by RedDragonScale; 01-14-2012 at 01:20 PM.

You only get that extra damage of you are in a position where you would get a SA, correct?

Unless the Monster is Blind, there's now way you can count on getting that ranged SA reliably.

IMO, the feat sucks.
    The monster doesn't need to be blind -- it just needs to have aggro on someone else. It's not a great feat for soloing on most classes (although the hide/move silently boost is actually awesome for soloing certain quests, like eClaw), but in my opinion it's worth getting just for boss fights in raids. Artificer has the advantage of Flame Turret and the pet, though, both of which can grab aggro and act as "tanks" for you -- any time an enemy is attacking one of them, even when you're soloing, you're eligible for your +10/+5. (As long as you're in sneak attack range and the enemy is not immune to sneak attacks.)

I wouldn't take it over any of the essential feats, but I would certainly take it rather than Mental Toughness or Weapon Focus: Ranged, two feats I often see in artificer builds.
    Last edited by Cardtrick; 01-14-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Community Member

I would just like to know if there are any drawbacks starting with WIS 6 (low will save early game), CHA 6 (-2 on UMD early game), STR 8 (low carrying capacity early game) as you did on your WF.

I guess that if there are any drawbacks I would expect them in the first few levels and that the effect will diminish with increasing skill points spent, better saves from level up and better gear. But I really would appreciate your feedback if you encountered any drawbacks and would consider spending a few more points in STR or WIS.

Insightful Reflexes is fantastic on a high-Int, low-Dex character...

Exactly. There's a reason why no one ever takes Lightning Reflexes; +2 to reflex saves isn't worth blowing a feat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor74 View Post
    I would just like to know if there are any drawbacks starting with WIS 6 (low will save early game), CHA 6 (-2 on UMD early game), STR 8 (low carrying capacity early game) as you did on your WF.

I guess that if there are any drawbacks I would expect them in the first few levels and that the effect will diminish with increasing skill points spent, better saves from level up and better gear. But I really would appreciate your feedback if you encountered any drawbacks and would consider spending a few more points in STR or WIS.
    You seem to have a pretty good handle on the issues. The drawbacks are manageable and hit hardest at earlier levels. I would just add that a low wisdom means your Spot modifier is lousy at early levels. This should theoretically hurt newer players more. Veteran players tend 1) to know where the nasty traps are already, and 2) to have enough hit points not to die to one little trap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast