Default Planning on a Monk Pally / Cleric build

Hi there,

I'm thinking of a monk build, but I can't decide what to do:

18 Monk / 2 Paladin: With save bonus from Pally
    17 Monk / 2 Paladin / 1 Cleric: With save bonus from Pally and use of healing wands
    17 Monk / 3 Paladin: With save bonus from Pally and immume things @ lv 3 Pally

Which one would be the best build? Is it a waste taking 1 lv Cleric or is it a good thing?

Plz help me out here!

20 monk would be the best build.
    You don't need divine grace to have good saves on a monk.
    Unfamiliar with DDO's combat mechanics? Check here and here.

Then why do i see people with monk multiclassed into cleric or paladin? What's the use of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Aerylis View Post
    Then why do i see people with monk multiclassed into cleric or paladin? What's the use of that?
    That means they're sub-optimal. If you want cure wands / heal scrolls, take half-elf race, cleric dilettante. If you want better saves, switch to ocean stance.
    On Thelanis: Survo ... Wattr ... Tigerpalm ... Cranefist ... Hobbson ... Grayed ... Shadowstance ... Smashcut

A small monk splash makes sense: 2 monk gives Evasion and 2 feats to Paladins, who have good saves and are desperately tight on feats. 3 monk gives Evasion, Water stance, Healing Curse, and something useful to do in melee to Clerics.

Splashing on a monk rarely makes sense. Getting levels 18-20 gives you DR 10/Epic, +1 damage dice, run increase, AC bonus, Grandmaster stances, +10 Concentration, +1 passive ki, potentially Shintao 3 (Silver fists, Kukan-Do, Tomb of Jade). Trying to squeeze in 3 Paladin gives you yet another stat to try and build for in Charisma, a redundant Disease immunity, a weak Lay on Hands, and a Smite Evil that doesn't work with unarmed fighting. It is not a good trade.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aerylis View Post
    A monk splash onto a cleric or paladin adds two feats, Evasion, WIS AC bonus, and +3 to all saves. That's a lot of gain from only two class levels.

What you're proposing is a monk who sacrifices their capstone for a modest boost to saves from Divine Grace (because how many stat pts can you afford to put into CHA on a monk anyway?) and/or the ability to use wands. That's a much worse tradeoff.

Community Member

I agree with Kinerd, to some extent. There are some very strong splashed monk builds (Godhand which is 12 fighter/8 monk, Solar Phoenix which is 12 paladin/7 monk/1 rogue and the ever popular 12 monk/8 fighter), all of which have advantages and disadvantages over pure monk.

But if you go above 12-14 levels of monk, you really are missing out on alot if you don't go for the capstone. Especially if you go for 18 levels of monk, there's no class that is worth splashing 2 levels of over just taking the last two levels in monk too, since you get all the benefits that Kinerd listed from just going pure then. When I was a pure monk I especially loved the DR 10, it makes soloing a real breeze, even hard content (I managed to solo elite monestary as pure monk, something I would have had real problems doing if I had splashed 2 level of anything).

Thnx for the replies and advice. Banned that idea out of my head