Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by MaxHavoc View Post
    Ok, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll accede to your sagaciousness and do Rog 2 / Wiz 18 and my new stats will be:

STR 10 (2)
    DEX 10 (2)
    CON 17 (8)
    INT 18 (16)
    WIS 10 (4)
    CHA 6
    Just want to make sure you understand your skill modifiers are stat-10/2, not stat/2. So your modifiers look like this:

STR 10 (0)
    DEX 10 (0)
    CON 17 (3)
    INT 18 (4)
    WIS 10 (0)
    CHA 6 (-2)

That can be confusing when things don't add up the way you think they ought to.

Also, wearing odd numbered stat gear can make your odd numbers even as well as the fact that you can take as a WF wiz up to 3 points of INT and 3 CON in enhancements. So don't worry too much about the odd numbers.
    Last edited by Galeria; 12-29-2011 at 02:29 PM.
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post
    Just want to make sure you understand your skill modifiers are stat-10/2, not stat/2. So your modifiers look like this:
    Those weren't (mod), those were (build points spent)
    As a PnP vet, he understand how the mods work.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    Yes, as we've said, there are a few places where Knock won't cut it. But none of those places have to be "unlocked" in order to bypass. Restless Isles is a perfect example. You don't need to unlock those doors via OL or Knock. There are keys. You just have to go find them.
    If something absolutely has to be unlocked, 90% of the time Knock will do the job. Of the remaining 10%: 9% of the time you don't actually need to open whatever it is that's locked. The other 1% of the time isn't really much to worry about, because it's only 1%.
    (these numbers were completely arbitrary, but are pretty close to accurate)
    Actually the lock I was talking about is a chest {trash chest yes} with a 51 DC. There is no key to this chest - I believe there are also a couple of gates / doors that do not have a key in the Isles {These are only needed though if you intend to complete the slayer as opposed to just getting to the quests}.

I believe the one in Gianthold is also a chest {Mindflayer's chest} in the slayer {Not even counted as a rare right?}.

Open Locks is not a skill that needs maxing BUT there are some places where it would be nice to have a maxed open locks in game.

On my Rogue Mech II {Sylveria} I've recently noticed that I maxed enhancement lines on Open Locks, Spot and Disable BUT did not max search - Disable is #1 for rogues, Search is #2 but I found I had no need to max the enhancements on this whereas with my lower dex and wis maxing spot and OL enhancements has helped.

Stealth is actually a huge boon for a solo character
    It is.. but only if you are a non-arcane toon.

Remember arcanes get a key spell, invisibility, at second level. Essentially replacing any need for DEX or stealth like abilities.

If you want to sneak about unseen, invisibility is far better than stealth anyway. While its true you can combine the two, its hardly necessary in DDO as long as you understand the mechanics of how stealth vs invis works.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Disable is #1 for rogues, Search is #2 .
    This is a common misconception.
    Search is the higher priority.
    Your Disable modifier will be higher due to a +7 from tools and a possible +3 from Ventilated Bracers. It also gets a 1d20 roll added to it. So your Disable modifier is potentially +8 to +30 higher than your Search modifier. Add in the fact that you can keep trying as long as you don't blow the box and Disable is not a priority.
    Search, on the other hand, is a pass/fail mechanic, and if you can't find the box you can't Disable it.
    All this adds up to make Search a higher priority than Disable.

This is a common misconception.
    Search is the higher priority.
    Your Disable modifier will be higher due to a +7 from tools and a possible +3 from Ventilated Bracers. It also gets a 1d20 roll added to it. So your Disable modifier is potentially +8 to +30 higher than your Search modifier. Add in the fact that you can keep trying as long as you don't blow the box and Disable is not a priority.
    Search, on the other hand, is a pass/fail mechanic, and if you can't find the box you can't Disable it.
    All this adds up to make Search a higher priority than Disable.
    I didn't realize you don't get a roll for search. Is that correct? I guess that makes sense now that I think about how it seems to work in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumus View Post
    I didn't realize you don't get a roll for search. Is that correct? I guess that makes sense now that I think about how it seems to work in game.
    Yep, it's true. But if you were looking for independent confirmation from someone other than the person who posted it, I'm sure someone will come along and do so.
    If you can't find the box, it doesn't matter how many times you Search, you still won't find it. The only thing you can do is raise your mod by raising your Int, swapping gear if you forgot, or raising your skill via boost/song/etc.
    That's why Search is more important than Disable. Even is Disable is low, you still get a roll for it. Even if you need to roll a 20, there's a chance that you might do so. With Search, either it's high enough to find the box or it isn't.
    And if it isn't, then you don't even get a chance at that Disable roll that you (in the generic) thought was more important.

Your Disable could be 1000, but if you can't find the box then it may as well be 0.
    So which one is more important?
    Last edited by Calebro; 12-29-2011 at 05:29 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ferrite View Post
    It is.. but only if you are a non-arcane toon.

Remember arcanes get a key spell, invisibility, at second level. Essentially replacing any need for DEX or stealth like abilities.

If you want to sneak about unseen, invisibility is far better than stealth anyway. While its true you can combine the two, its hardly necessary in DDO as long as you understand the mechanics of how stealth vs invis works.

Things can still hear you even if they can’t see you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobril View Post
    Things can still hear you even if they can’t see you.
    And anyone with True Seeing can see you as well. But actually hiding prevents them from finding you, even with True Sight, assuming you have some skill.

Community Member

And anyone with True Seeing can see you as well. But actually hiding prevents them from finding you, even with True Sight, assuming you have some skill.

Plus See Invisibility.

OP - Stealth is pretty nifty if you can fit it into your build.

Yep, it's true. But if you were looking for independent confirmation from someone other than the person who posted it, I'm sure someone will come along and do so.
    If you can't find the box, it doesn't matter how many times you Search, you still won't find it. The only thing you can do is raise your mod by raising your Int, swapping gear if you forgot, or raising your skill via boost/song/etc.
    That's why Search is more important than Disable. Even is Disable is low, you still get a roll for it. Even if you need to roll a 20, there's a chance that you might do so. With Search, either it's high enough to find the box or it isn't.
    And if it isn't, then you don't even get a chance at that Disable roll that you (in the generic) thought was more important.

Your Disable could be 1000, but if you can't find the box then it may as well be 0.
    So which one is more important?
    Yes Search is a base skill {no roll}.

Disable on the other hand if you can only pass on a 20 you're gonna crit fail on a 15 or lower - Crit fail = blown boxes and a trap monkey who can't get into groups.

Search is #2 because like Disable it requires Int but unlike disable you can't crit fail - There are certain places in game {Rest for the Restless} where the search DC is ridiculously high but these are few and far between and are why I always carry Heroism pots as well as Fox's Cunning.

Btw it doesn't matter that disable gets a 1d20 added because you have to be able to pass on a 4 on that roll to avoid the possibility of a crit fail - i.e. that roll may as well be 1d5

Search also must be high - I didn't say it was a dumpable stat just that it's not #1 - That belongs to disable.

Quote Originally Posted by FranOhmsford View Post
    Search also must be high - I didn't say it was a dumpable stat just that it's not #1 - That belongs to disable.
    We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one Fran.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12