Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Get People to Read Your Post

You invested your time in an awesome post. Whether it's a rant, a rave, a request for help, a useful suggestion or a brilliant smackdown, you want people to read it, right? Whether your goal is to get some help, tick people off or inspire them to new heights, if people don't read your post your efforts went to waste.

Some quick tips:

1) Don't post in color.
    These forums have a default background of dark grey. Anything other than white is hard to read. Seriously. Yes, even your all-red text does not stand out the way you hoped it would. People are more likely to skip your post than try to read it.

*Since the forums updated and so many people have a strong dislike for the new layout/colorscheme, coloring your text is even more likely to cause it to disappear for a number of users. Some use light backgrounds, some use dark. Using a color that shows up well on your screen is probably invisible to a bunch of other people.

Even more so if the person trying to read it is using a phone or other portable device with a small screen- it's just not worth the effort.

A word or two in color for emphasis is good, entire sentences bad.

I am not even going to discuss rainbow text. Unless you are the Jester, you are just crying for attention.

2) Don't post a wall of text.
    Hitting the enter key at the end of every few sentences is free. FREE!! NERF THE RETURN KEY!!

Write as much as your heart desires, but break it up so people can rest their eyes.

3) Quoted text.
    a) Quoting the original poster is good, to be clear on what you are responding to. Quoting the ENTIRE POST when you are only responding to a single point... bad. Delete all the irrelevant parts of the quote for better emphasis.

b) Quoting a huge post and then typing

^this

is griefing. Griefing, I tell ya. I oughta report you kids but I can't find my glasses...

Seriously, snip that huge quote to a reasonable size before adding your eloquent and articulate support for it.

c) Putting your entire post inside of someone else's quoted text and then making your response a different color screams:

"Don't read me! I couldn't be bothered to break out the quote from my own post and who cares that it's a mess you can hardly read cause you need to L2P..."

Seriously. That is what it says. Bet you never listened to it before.

4) Spell check
    OK, actually, not spell checking is probably more entertaining because all of the responses you will get will have nothing to do with your actual post and a whole lot of mocking over whatever you spelled wrong. So not spell checking might actually get more people to read it... but pay no attention to what you actually said. If attention for the sake of attention is your goal, you win!

The bottom line here- there are a LOT of posts on this forum every day. (Awesome sign of a healthy community, BTW.) Don't give people reasons to skip the deep philosophical impact of your post just because it's hard to read.
    Last edited by Galeria; 09-14-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: HA! A spelling error. See? You can edit posts too...
    A PUG is like a box of chocolates
    Get people to read your post.

Yellow text, bolded, is extremely visible. However, when an entire post is done in it, it becomes an eyesore. Use it sparingly, and it will serve you well.

Not that you need Rep, but I approve of this thread! I wish someone had this put together when I first started posting.

PS. I couldn't resist, awesome work though, great advice.
    || Arari - Cleric Rogue || Athyria - Satanic Mechanic || Ethirial - Arcane Archer || Tiarinlasa - Spell Singer || Zirron - Divine Avenger ||

Community Member

I tend to ignore any post in color.
    Or complete chopped up mess of quotes and replies.

Always get the impression they are trying to 'win' the internet.

Eyes glaze over. <scroll scroll scroll>
    Read the next readable one. few paragraphs and line breaks. normal posts.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy1guy View Post
    I tend to ignore any post in color.
    Or complete chopped up mess of quotes and replies.

Eyes glaze over. <scroll scroll scroll>
    Read the next readable one. few paragraphs and line breaks. normal posts.

I do the exact same thing, only I feel that when a person "quotes" another person, then puts any words in the quote that are not part of the quote, no matter the color, they are putting words in a persons mouth in my view.

I also ignore full color posts, I have actually added people to my ignore list for it, some colors just cause my eyes to literally hurt, I would rather ignore the poster, than have a headache.

As far as quoting an entire post now? I do, and always will quote an entire post, especially in a discussion. Reason being, some posts get buried and missed, I like them to be seen in the quote, I don't mind if my posts don't get read for it, I am A-OK with that.

Okay, serious face time!

Always try pick a title for your topic that grabs any potential readers attention. I skip over topics that have titles which seem like they've been 'fluffed' to make them more extravagant. To me, if you know what you're talking about, you'll know how to get it across effectively.

This thread is actually a great example of what I mean, "Get People to Read Your Post" is a simple, yet effective no thrills title. Galeria could have titled it "Grab your readers attention by posting in these 4 easy steps!", but likely, most of us would have skipped over it (Likely due to the infomercial feel it would have then had). People do judge a book by its cover, that's just how life is. So make your cover good (Or title, in this case).

Another thing is, proof reading is key. I'm really bad at typing things right the first time, and I'll likely go back over my post several times changing every second sentence just because I've thought of a better way to word it. The issue is with that, when I put it all together, it makes very little sense because the flow of my argument/view/point has gone. A extra minute before reading can save a potential master piece from becoming a jumbled mess of words that resemble alphabet soup.

Summarizing is also good, I tend to go in to 'High School Essay' mode and type more than I really need to, so I always try summarize at the end. So, in short:

1. Pick a good title for your post.
    2. Proof read before you post.
    3. If you type a lot, summarize.
    || Arari - Cleric Rogue || Athyria - Satanic Mechanic || Ethirial - Arcane Archer || Tiarinlasa - Spell Singer || Zirron - Divine Avenger ||

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post

c) Putting your entire post inside of someone else's quoted text and then making your response a different color screams:

"Don't read me! I couldn't be bothered to break out the quote from my own post and who cares that it's a mess you can hardly read cause you need to L2P..."

Seriously. That is what it says. Bet you never listened to it before.
    I disagree. I find it pleasant to read. In fact, I find it a little bit easier to read than the breaking up posts.

To me, it says "I'm going to address your points directly, as if I was speaking to you :-)"

Now, I break up the posts because I'm too lazy to look up the guide on how to change the color of my text. And I've seen a few colors that work well, especially softer but brighter colors that don't blend in with the gray background.

That being said, I agree with everything else.
    The guy who likes to experience every class. Except Fighter >:[ I don't like you Fighter.
    Hey Devs! Monks need some big ol' loving. Lots of it. So does the Warpriest tree for Clerics and Favored Souls.

On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...

I don't understand this dark grey background that keeps being mentioned. My background is black.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    I don't understand this dark grey background that keeps being mentioned. My background is black.
    Depends on your browsers I think - I use 2 different browsers and the background colour appears slightly different on each.

Thank you. +1 for this.

There's nothing I hate more than
    1) People who post entire posts in color
    2) People who quote someone and post their reply inside the quote. I mean, it's bloody impossible for the next person to quote him after that.
    Active
    EU player since release, US player since the summer of 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    I disagree. I find it pleasant to read. In fact, I find it a little bit easier to read than the breaking up posts.
    But for the time it takes to add color to your text, you could break up the post and reply to each point clearly.

To me, it says "I'm going to address your points directly, as if I was speaking to you :-)"
    You can do that without posting your response inside a quote. See? I'm speaking to you but it's easier to read than pink or red text inside of a quote.

Now, I break up the posts because I'm too lazy to look up the guide on how to change the color of my text. And I've seen a few colors that work well, especially softer but brighter colors that don't blend in with the gray background.
    Nothing is as clear and easy to read as white on this background. Colors used for emphasis are fine, but an entire text in any color is pretty hard to read. Again, if you don't mind a significant portion of the readers simply skipping your post, go for a color.

That being said, I agree with everything else.
    Yay!
    Last edited by Galeria; 12-24-2011 at 06:36 AM.

But for the time it takes to add color to your text, you could break up the post and reply to each point clearly.
    Different strokes for different folks.

You can do that without posting your response inside a quote. See? I'm speaking to you but it's easier to read than pink or red text inside of a quote.
    Not really. It's about as easy. But not easier.

If anything, the whole "black - gray - black - gray" actually makes it teensy bit harder, whereas posting inside someone's quote has a solid chunk of black in the background, so it's better.

Nothing is as clear and easy to read as white on this background. Colors used for emphasis are fine, but an entire text in any color is pretty hard to read. Again, if you don't mind a significant portion of the readers simply skipping your post, go for a color.
    I've honestly NEVER had trouble reading something like pink on this background.

Yes, there are other colors that are as clear and easy to read as white on gray. And much more interesting. It adds character to a person's post, individualizes it, etc.
    The guy who likes to experience every class. Except Fighter >:[ I don't like you Fighter.
    Hey Devs! Monks need some big ol' loving. Lots of it. So does the Warpriest tree for Clerics and Favored Souls.

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute-Omniscience View Post
    2) People who quote someone and post their reply inside the quote. I mean, it's bloody impossible for the next person to quote him after that. Perhaps that's the point - the comments become too much of a hassle to refute!
    Personally, I usually don't post in colours because it grieves me to have to intentionally misspell the word...

That one place in that one state in that one country

Unhappy guilty

Sorry guys, I'll change my posting habits to better fit you're eyes.

Maybe even more structure to them!
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Rian View Post
    Sorry guys, I'll change my posting habits to better fit you're eyes.

Maybe even more structure to them!
    YAY!
    I linked your thread to the Evil Red Rian and he seems to now realize the error of his ways!
    Praise be to Galeria! Hip hip, hooray!

Last edited by Calebro; 12-26-2011 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy1guy View Post
    ]

You can win the internet? is this like those American teen movies where everyone is so concerned with being popular and stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by absolute-omniscience View Post
    thank you. +1 for this.

There's nothing i hate more than
    1) people who post entire posts in color
    2) people who quote someone and post their reply inside the quote. I mean, it's bloody impossible for the next person to quote him after that.hate stems from the dark side of the force you must have/had the most awesome carefree life if there is *nothing you hate more than those two things:rolleyes don't worry be happy :
    :d:d

The thread isn't to be snarky, it's about getting people to actually read your post instead of instantly passing over it for the next one.

If you are someone who loves using color in your posts and putting your responses inside of quotes from other people, you may not realize how many people don't even bother to read it. And more power to you if you don't care that people skip your post.

But it seems odd to post something in a way that will cause some people to ignore it. So pointing out some reasons people will instantly skip reading a post might help some people to be more effective.

(PS- These aren't my personal guidelines. I am a website usability analyst and have facilitated quite a few studies and focus groups.

Up to 80% of subjects observed in my own studies do not read colored text... it's about the same as ad blindness. It's almost as if they don't see it. About the same percentage will avoid reading an entire block of text, even if the objective is to read it.)

Community Member

you forget the most important lesson in getting attention with your post.

bumping the post up to the top by answering someone with every chance
    you get ! All the great attention seekers in this and other major forums do that,that's how the 50.000 view posts are made just look at most of em !

Even the most trivial of question is answered as soon as the ts notice that his post is getting on the 2nd page.

The thread isn't to be snarky, it's about getting people to actually read your post instead of instantly passing over it for the next one.

If you are someone who loves using color in your posts and putting your responses inside of quotes from other people, you may not realize how many people don't even bother to read it. And more power to you if you don't care that people skip your post.

But it seems odd to post something in a way that will cause some people to ignore it. So pointing out some reasons people will instantly skip reading a post might help some people to be more effective.

(PS- These aren't my personal guidelines. I am a website usability analyst and have facilitated quite a few studies and focus groups.

Up to 80% of subjects observed in my own studies do not read colored text... it's about the same as ad blindness. It's almost as if they don't see it. About the same percentage will avoid reading an entire block of text, even if the objective is to read it.)
    Really?

Colored posts tend to grab my attention MORE than standard white or black. Usually because it means people have put more effort into their posts.

I can understand that if it's a grating color like lime green or something, but warm and cool colors tend to be pleasing to the eyes, which I would think would draw more attention to said posts.

I guess I'm different. Though I would like to point out that one person claiming to be a web analyst who has done studies and focus groups does not necessarily mean they are a web analyst who has done studies and focus groups, and therefore, someone who has authority on this subject.

I mean, I should know. I am an analyst of internet arguments. In my studies and focus groups, I've noticed that 96% of arguers will claim credentials that they do not necessarily have. And 40% of them will make up statistics entirely, just to prove a point. Even while being quite respectful to each other.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast