Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1307
    Community Member

Normal and Elite are fine. Hard is a joke. Hard difficulty should fall between Normal and Elite. It shouldn't be almost indistinguishable from Normal.

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    What reason is there for you to be soloing hard and elite quests? Answer that.
    Same reasons to run them in a group. Same reasons to run any quest at any difficulty, actually.

1 - To have fun.
    2 - To have a challenge.
    3 - Because they can.

Not everyone finds elite easy as you do, you know. In fact, I highly doubt that there are very many of those you show such disregard and disdain for who can solo an at-level elite, despite all the "easy buttons" and whatever else you want to throw in there as so evil. Even on those few who can, like myself, they find it to not be worth the effort. The time investment is so different that I just run hard, and only run elites with groups.

So you're actually whining about an incredibly tiny portion of the game's population, and demanding that their fun be nerfed because, in your mind, they are all noobs who don't "deserve" to play DDO in any way other than what you specify as they can play it. When, in fact, you are whining about yourself and friends.

As far as people not learning to play, some people never will. I have a guildy who is proof of that, with no less than 6(!) lives as a Cleric or Favored Soul, and he still ranks as one of the worst divine caster players I have ever seen. Yet another, with 1 cleric to the L20 cap, and almost exclusively playing melee before, is so far and away better that the guild asked him to run another Cleric on the current TR group. Another guildy probably won't ever be able to play at the same level as the rest of the guild, as he basically plays only flavor builds, doesn't raid, and doesn't pay a whole lot of attention to much of anything.

You cannot force people to learn. Ever heard the expression "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"? This problem has been worsened by the real 'easy button', Stones of Experience (I do think that those were a horrible idea). Skipping from the easy level 8 stuff to level 16 immediately, without the gear and play experience, was a bad idea. It should have been TR-only, IMO.

If you want a harder difficulty, ask for it. Heck, Varusso (?) I think posted a thread on just that, a step above Elite for Heroic quests. Some of the ideas were off (no to more @$&! crafting!), I think the name was stupid, but the underlying concept is sound, IMO.
    Last edited by azrael4h; 10-14-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    It was the night before Hogswatch....

Optimus Prime/Grimlock 2016 Because in diplomacy, sending in the Dinobots is the only answer.

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sephiroth1084 View Post
    What reason is there for you to be soloing hard and elite quests? Answer that.
    Hard and elite -- especially elite -- have a different feel to them and they provide missions with a lot more replay value when they're accessible to more players in more ways -- including short man and solo.

On that note, there's nothing sacrosanct about the number six; it's no less of an arbitrary number than five or seven. A team is a team is a team, whenever there are two players or more, and trying to make it so that players feel compelled to wait until they hit the "magic number six", because of a prohibition on scaling for certain difficulty levels, seems counterproductive.

Raids being intended for teams makes sense; they're supposed to be big, world-changing events and having a number of them adds quite a bit of depth and replay value to the game.

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Faent View Post
    Normal and Elite are fine. Hard is a joke. Hard difficulty should fall between Normal and Elite. It shouldn't be almost indistinguishable from Normal.
    The problem isn't the difficulty level itself. The problem is that players have very limited control over the level of challenge any given mission will provide them and they also have very different preferences and skill levels. This leads to exactly the kinds of conflicts that you're seeing in this thread.

The solution is to give players the opportunity to have fun in a variety of ways, in accordance with their preferences, while working to ensure that team play is rewarding and enjoyable enough that players will seek out opportunities to engage in it as some percentage of their gaming time.

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyTheJourney View Post
    Hard and elite -- especially elite -- have a different feel to them and they provide missions with a lot more replay value when they're accessible to more players in more ways -- including short man and solo.
    My question was in regards to why you feel that the hardest difficulty setting should scale down to accommodate you? Variety is good, but there's far more variety of experience without scaling, than with. That may seem counter-intuitive, but having scaling flattens the bell curve considerably, and while there can still be stark differences between a quest on normal and a quest on elite, solo, the difference is much slighter than if the scaling weren't there. Now, sure, you could argue that scaling allows you to get more than 4 different experiences, by having a different feel for quests at 1 person, 2, 4 and 6, but the difference between 1 and 2 is fairly negligible, and the difference between 4 and 6 serves largely to discourage people from grouping, and especially PUGing. The result of upward scaling is that many players would rather go shortman than risk taking on a PUGer that can't cut it.

Again, we didn't have scaling at all for something like 4 years of DDO. The only reason we got scaling, was that people complained that the game was solo unfriendly, but we also got casual, which fulfilled that need as well, and had the game difficulty lowered across the board, for the most, while the power level of players rose considerably without most quests keeping pace with the inflation. The game is much easier now than it was 3 years ago, even for untwinked, relatively fresh players (then and now).

All dungeon scaling does on the harder difficulties is dilute the experience. If you want a challenge, un-scaled content is far more challenging, and rewarding if you can handle it. Choices are restricted, because you can't choose to try tackling an extreme challenge solo in the game now, you can only attempt a moderately difficult challenge, because the game necessarily puts on kid gloves when you pop into a quest solo.
    On that note, there's nothing sacrosanct about the number six; it's no less of an arbitrary number than five or seven. A team is a team is a team, whenever there are two players or more, and trying to make it so that players feel compelled to wait until they hit the "magic number six", because of a prohibition on scaling for certain difficulty levels, seems counterproductive.
    You're right. In fact, you're so right, that the devs agree. dungeon scaling goes down if you have fewer than four people in your party, and up if you have more than 4. Again, part of the reason that shortmanning and soloing quests is easier than forming a full group most of the time.

Sure, you could make the argument that what we need is a greater variety of difficulty settings, or a toggle for Dungeon Scaling ON/OFF, but does the game seek to reward the DA OFF crowd for their increased difficulty? Would the folks running stuff with DA ON start complaining that they are being left out in the cold, because they can't get their hands on whatever drops in that harder difficulty setting, or the level of XP/favor earned?

Certainly such a toggle would increase variety, and address many people's desires for a greater challenge in the game, but the play experience of DDO is necessarily a marriage of risk and reward--sure, some people will occasionally seek out an unrewarding challenge, because the accomplishment is reward enough, but that's a fairly small number of people for a fairly small amount of time. Even the players that want a more challenging experience, don't particularly want that greater difficulty if it also means that their advancement slows down (whether because you're earning 15% more XP in 3x the time, or getting +0.5 loot level for half the chests, or spending five times as many resources, for twice the reward).

It's all well and good to say that people can just go make their own challenges for themselves, and some do some of the time, but few people are wired to seek that style of entertainment. It's similar to the folks that say, "just don't use your uber items," or, "play with one arm tied behind your back, then!" People generally don't work like that. Not over an extended period. Some do, and they play permadeath.
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    "We have been accused (and perhaps there's truth to this) that we've been balancing the game for the uber-player..."
    As one who plays daily, but rarely posts here on the forums, I have to agree with this statement. It is too bad that since you have over 1000 replies already to this topic, I can only hope this reply can be read.

Reading the previous posts, I see the same thing I see everyday on these forums. Those with multi thousand posts arguing the same exact thing they argue in every other thread. I appreciate the chance to pipe into this argument as just a regular player that really enjoys the game, for so many different reasons.

I don't think the game is too hard on any non elite quest. Even for a 28 point build. What I do believe is the game is so utterly imbalanced it's almost silly. The multi thousand post posters, (yes, you're the Uber Player), complain about an easy button, sure, for a player that has everthing geared to top level on a toon that has many past lives, but put a 28 point toon in Red Fens wilderness, at level, and 1 shot of floating mage ball of electric loop later, and your at level toon was just destroyed for 310 points of damage, while every other mob on the map is very little threat.

I just don't believe that standard mobs should be able to 1 hit a character. That rule sould be relegated to bosses, and perhaps sub bosses. Ideally, it wouldn't. Ship buffs, past lives, amazing gear, etc and the Fens become no trouble at all. (I use the fens only as an example.) How about a new player doing butchers path? You see my point. Most any other game I have played, the 1 hit kill was an exception, not a rule.

You introduced the +30 ship resists, which allowed any toon to walk through any elite caster/trap with little to no damage, then, to counter that, you incerased the elemental damage of all casters and traps so it would bypass the +30 resists. Yeah...you did that.

I don't want all the bells and whistles of an eliteist toon. I like being regular. I don't like rushing to level 20 in 2 days, I take my time through quests. I do like the challenge, but I don't like spending 45 minutes to over an hour in a quest just to wipe near the end. Not all of us have toons that can solo the shroud, elite. I think you may be suprised how many "just average" players you actually have. Don't get me wrong here, I am not complaining about being average, I just think the game should be designed for those players and not those that live in DDO.

This is a great game, but I can see the path it's taking. The same path the last MMO I played. When I see screenies posted in these forums of players hitting for 45k and up, soloing shroud, or ToD, 1500+ HP, seeing the latest loot, (min level 20-25, of course.), that makes everything previous obsolete, The path it is taking is clear; Keep the end gamers happy at all costs. These are the folks that are complaining about the easy button. Show me one first life mid level toon with the same complaint.

Balance the game. Make equal amounts of gear for all classes, not just specific classes. Good lord, look at the amount of gear slots a Rogue has available versus a Cleric. Quit making casters stronger and nerfing the melees. Stop introducing End Player Only items and attributes.

Not all of us are elitists, as the majority of these forum posts would suggest.

Thank you for this opportunity to vent
    Professional Noob.

The biggest issue for me with the current difficulty system is the benefits for certain settings. Epic normal is fine so that more casual players can enjoy themselves and succeed in content. Hard is just a joke as a halfway between normal and epic elite. Elite is fairly good for a challenge against elite players. However, the major issue is the benefits for running epic elite. Why do epic elite Von 6 when we can fight in the dragons fire and kill her in 5 minutes in epic hard. There needs to be diffenent and diffent drop improvement/benefit for epic hard and elite. (epic hard assuming it was made to actually be hard)

For example, Lord of Blades used to be my favorite raid. T1 and T2 weapons were good weapons but for the elite players you could add teir three and he was a true challenge on elite. I remember getting up a 6am to meet with the best players across the server to consistently complete that raid. I liked the fact that to many mistakes would cost you the elite raid but the reward was the best of the best alchem weapons. Of course, those weapons are out dated now and spirits drop on the wrong difficulties and the raid was destroyed.

Honestly, there are very few raids I run anymore and I spend most of my time farming for perfect random gen Lvl 25 loot. Still trying to get my 120null, +3 necro mastery, +2 Lvl 9 and down spell pen one handed weapon. For me there's not point for much else.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenAmazing View Post
    These are the folks that are complaining about the easy button. Show me one first life mid level toon with the same complaint.
    Permadeathers

Not that it matters to your post much. Just couldn't help myself.
    Not for everyone. But if you're looking for a fresh experience with a slower pace and tactical play, come check us out at www.mortalvoyage.us You might just like what you see...

Community Member

Make a serious incentive to run raid in EE and improved EN and EH diff.
    Uriziem Completionist done, past life 28/30
    solo ADQ2 EE http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=414558
    solo FoT EE http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=414946
    Waiting better and harder end game(or neverwinter online)

My expectations in DDO is that if I put time in it will result in progression/reward and to some extent xp received for completion of some objectives does help soften the blow of a really poor PUG experience that resulted in party wipe.

Honestly, if I'm grinding out xp on a TR alt (and boy do I loathe the grind but see it as a necessary evil) The "easy button" is what keeps me coming back to the game. Ship buffs + twink BtA gear makes the game way more enjoyable for me as a player and if I can solo a dungeon without an issue on elite (I'd run it on normal if not for the bravery streak and favor mechanic) I am more than happy to open the group to any player that wanted to join.

What I dislike most is the current failure mechanic due to npc death. Slavers of the Shrieking Mines... Therenal... Faithful Departed... Let Sleeping Dust Lie... talk about a suckfest. These quests can all be ruined by one poor player. I would prefer reduced xp at quest completion or a loss of an end chest instead of outright failure if we manage to kill the boss at the end.

As far as Cannith Challenges go. I may be in the minority with this but guaranteed xp or ingredients for the time spent (2 new players in a group can pretty much sabotaged the chances of achieving even the main objective) would make these a whole lot more fulfilling. My other suggestion is to make the challenges worth farming (less severe diminishing rewards?) on a capped lvl 25/including ED's character. The current system forces players to keep an alt at lvl 20/21 just to farm ingredients for the challenges. Right now it's a "hit it and quit it" because it is a chore each and every time.
    Daishado

"drink triple ... see double ... act single! uh oh wife aggro" *hides*

Cool Only difficulty there is to have bigger numbers than your opponents

What are your thoughts on the overall difficulty of DDO?
    Overall quest difficulty? None. You can walk 99% of the games quests with a random group of players that have never played the game and with you have never played with, with zero idea what you are playing and simply following class/DDO guides/walktroughs. This includes raids.
    Myself I know what the story is behind two raids because they have been so stopping to the group that I have got the time to read the (ingame) texts. The first one is Vault of the Night, the other one being Tempe'st spine. I could also say Zawabi's revenge but it hardly has any story or tale and its simply dishing out damage.
    Players are skim trough the game without any idea about what they are actually playing.

Hardest part of the game is not about playing the adventure itself, but everything around it. Let me list couple things that come up fast to my mind.
    Far too many crafting systems, players stretched over multiple servers (six year old issue, while problem has been solved for nine years), moving around to the right NPC to talk with (because of incorrect information in quest logs and statics game world, I can't ask directions to a NPC from anyone), finding out what quests you have done and in what difficulty and to easily gather a group to do it, having space limitation in inventory instead of weight and figuring out why a remarkably powerful D&D character is considered a gimp in DDO.

All that should be really easy things to do or not a issue at all. After betaing most of MMORPG's out there, and playing fair deal of 'em plus playing D&D since AD&D, some issue are damn silly.
    Sure, we offer difficulty choices
    When? No pun intended, but please elaborate one hard choice you think there is.
    Do you find yourself in a position where even Normal difficulty feels too much like hard?
    When soloing and unprepared, yes then some quest can be hard in normal. The amount of power players have makes each quest virtually walk over with even minor preparation. I do mean with minor preparation, meaning the tank takes his metalline pure good axe with him and the casters have mana.
    If so, do you associate this with a given level in the game (e.g. 10+) or do you think there is just too much inconsistency throughout?
    There is surely inconsistency, mainly how everything else except DPS and miss chance looses their meaning the longer the game goes.

The (end)game is not about tactics or knowing right tool to right situation. Instead there as been ever growing snowball about DPS. Its about how big the players DPS, miss chance and DR are compared against the (single) endboss.
    Thus the bosses have slowly been turning in to demi-gods resulting from this trend.
    That in turn has made smart playing pointless, impossible.
    In D&D making something blind is something really powerful. In DDO it is pointless as every place where it would have huge impact, the NPC's are immune at it. Same applies to ability damage, ability penalty, level drain, slow, nausea, shaken, fear, poison, staggered, stunned and so on. Any kind of condition. Conditions that are core part of D&D rules, applying to everyone, distinguishing it from second class games.

Thus why I enjoy the most playing the first levels is the fact that there is great deal of monsters that can be considered as are bosses that are not immune, or partially immune, roughly 90% of the spells in the game. Sure they might have good saves or lot of levels/ability points making my enervation/cloudkill being no single shot kills (as they should not be), but at least I am not that 3452345th sorcerer in the game that has maxed fire/cold damage and just chaining the same spell(s) waiting that the target fails one save to make four digits worth of damage.

The game is not about tactics or knowing right tool to right situation. Instead there as been ever growing snowball about DPS. Its about how big the players DPS, miss chance and DR are compared against the (single) endboss.
    Thus the bosses have slowly been turning in to demi-gods resulting from this trend. Not because the players would have been to better, they are just bigger.
    What's the right balance of challenge vs success for YOU? Do you expect to never fail when playing Normal - or would that simply bore you?
    I'm raising this subject for a few reasons. I think a lot of people expect that when it comes to an MMO, if you put time in you must get progress/reward out of it - and that failure is just plain bad. Spending 45 minutes into a quest only to fail can be very frustrating.
    First of all I wan't to distinguish and clear out that the quests where you can actually fail are in huge minority. All party members ending up dead (wipe) is not a failure, by far.

When the game was new, when party wiped there was no crying, pickering, blaming or ragequiting. Only question was who is going stay inside to keep the instance alive. Then the rest of group came in with full of holy vengeance (read: mana) and then there was lot of killing and loot. Wiping was not considered as failure, it only meant the group was badly prepared to the fight or had been wasting its resources earlier. I can count with my right hand the times over the past six years there was a situation where the party could not come up a winning strategy and the quest was dropped.
    Nowdays wiping is considered as a failure and having similar results than a true failure. A trend that makes no sense to me.
    Spending 45 mins to a quest and wiping is not frustrating, but it IS frustrating to see players leave the group instead of taking the extra 5 mins to replenish and finish the quest. Because that way I just wasted 45 mins and gained only couple chests when the finish line was just 10 mins away. Its zero gain against slightly minor rate/gain.

Those quests where you can really FAIL because of an time limit or failing to protect your target or such, those are the only quests in the game that I feel that are challenging in any way. Even those are usually walkovers because the amount of power players wield. No one cares about protecting the poor Coyle when the six TR'ed characters are pushing around 100k DPS, the melee ones only couple digits behind.
    Raids where people need to split up, back in the days, the smallest group to wander of from the main group was five persons. Now there are thirteen players in one raid group that can solo any minor-part of the quest.
    We have been accused (and perhaps there's truth to this) that we've been balancing the game for the uber-player. Are you finding this to be the case? It seems like a couple years ago the salient message from the community was 'enough with the easy button already!'
    The game is balanced towards uber. Without topend equipment, a single character can hardly stand a single attack from a any NPC in the (later part of the) game. Casters have lower HPs to compensate the waste power they wield but its silly that a tank that does not have over 85%/500HPs is considered as paper.
    The game was supposed to be a group game, not something where what quests you can solo is used as metrics to see how good character you got.

Best starting point to fix the challenge level of the game would start looking at the AI.
    Sure, I can buy that a ooze keeps following a archer that is running from it, but NPC's that can't loose your trail, casters NPC's that keep casting spells that have no effect/on targets that are invalid, no sense of threats, no tactics and NPC's having so narrow variety of spells and always the same (a CR:26 dragon casts spells as level 19 cleric and sorcerer). Those I have hard time to diggest.

The games biggest challenge six years ago was to have tanks stand blocking the door and casting firewall.
    What has changed?
    The numbers have grown bigger and now you can do that alone.
    Where is the challenge?

By giving the game a even half decent AI, it would stand out from ALL the current MMORPG's.
    Since AD&D/beta looking to play D&D 3½ online. Still looking.

Community Member

Default Knowledge is power

Difficulty is directly related to knowledge of a quest. Once you know the ins and outs of a quest, you know how to prepare for it and you know how to beat it.

AI of the monsters in the game is predictable to the point where casters have no problem decimating nearly and combination of monsters without breaking a sweat.

Monster groups are static in location and size (for the most part).

Traps are consistent in location and method of disabling (for the most part).

Puzzles are consistent in location and method of solving (for the most part).

This all leads to predictability, which allows players to properly prepare for and easily defeat any situation once they know it. For first time players, normal difficulty can pose a challenge if they are unprepared.

If all you did was randomize trap location/disable boxes, puzzle location/solving methods and monster groups it could add some difficulty, but would still not be to difficult, good for hard mode.

But if you changed monster AI so that instead of standing in a firewall, they got out of the firewall (or dispelled it!!), or targeted casters/clerics first, that could increase difficulty quite a bit, good for elite mode.

I really think randomizing quest setup would go a long way making quests more challenging. If players don't know what they'll face, it will make things more enjoyable.

For a while, please let the EN and EH difficulties where they are. They are just fine for the normal player that has 2-3 hours daily of DDO exposure and might be the bulk of your players. EH is just inflating numbers, nothing more, nothing less. Personally I would love to find EH mobs and bosses to act more intelligent instead of getting inflated numbers, but what the heck, we all know how problematic implementig AI can be, especially if the AL then would act like players - there would be an outcry of how hard the game got!

I would love to see doing away the casual/normal/hard/elite buttons to be substituted by something more neutral like a level adjustment button. So, -1 is casual. 0 is normal, +1 hard and I would level adjust (yes, lootgen too, but not experience, there I would only give a small bonus) +4 for elite - so the elitists would have a reason only to farm on elite. And everybody else would be warned that the quest is for the uber-player only. Lootgen is not too big a problem. The best thingies still would drop at abyssmal low rates and most of the random gear is sales material anyway. With the exception of secondary weaponry I never found much useful random loot anyway.

I like elite, but EE solo is too much trouble for me, so I leave this to those days I have a really good group with me. I would count as experienced casual player. For me, EH is exactly the right difficulty I feel perfectly well with. Sadly my toon cannot come up with hitpoints like most bosses on that level: 25k hit points or more... That difficulty already sports most unrealistic stats for mobs and bosses alike, so I really do not feel too less of a challenge here on solo. Only thing that annoys me big time: On level the end rewards do not feature guild renown on that quests.

Community Member

Default Let common sense win the day.

If you are capable of running elite successfully on any quest that same quest on normal should rightly be a cakewalk or your difficulty settings mean nothing.

Normal should be reasonable for a first life toon.

Hard should be reasonable for a second life and challenging for a first life.

Elite should be reasonable for a third life toon, challenging for a second life, and very difficult for a first life toon.

Elite being balanced for a party also seems reasonable. That being said perhaps we need a 4th(i dont count casual) option, 5th option if you do count casual.

I think there should be an elite solo option. This option might keep streak alive but carry a lower base xp and scale to solo play. The purpose that this would serve is to keep streak alive while playing on short time or when appropriate groups are not to be found or filling reasonably. Toons on their third life or greater really depend heavily on streak during leveling and while elite can certainly be done short man another option would be helpful for alternate personalities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by woodchuckslayer View Post
    I think there should be an elite solo option. This option might keep streak alive but carry a lower base xp and scale to solo play. The purpose that this would serve is to keep streak alive while playing on short time or when appropriate groups are not to be found or filling reasonably. Toons on their third life or greater really depend heavily on streak during leveling and while elite can certainly be done short man another option would be helpful for alternate personalities as well.
    I agree with this. Taking it a step further I believe the game would be more fun if we had a selectable option on top of the current difficulty choices: (normal, hard, elite)

Classic: Difficulty fixed for 4 players (Default)
    Scaled: less than 4 = easier, more than 4 = higher base xp but heroic and epic difficulties becomes hard enough that it will challenge even a full group of multi-twinked multiple tr's using their foreknowledge of quest. The mechanics are already built into the game so it should be easy to implement.

Taking the scaled option futher for future development I feel that when a player is solo in scaled mode, there would be a lowered base xp but scales to solo play (mechanics of coordinated effort eliminated on solo: i.e. lever pulling, key passing, gate raising etc.). Definitely will be a boon to players that have limited time or want to grind out some of those last few lower level quests for favor on their capped toon.
    Daishado

"drink triple ... see double ... act single! uh oh wife aggro" *hides*

If you are capable of running elite successfully on any quest that same quest on normal should rightly be a cakewalk or your difficulty settings mean nothing.

Elite should be reasonable for a third life toon, challenging for a second life, and very difficult for a first life toon.

Elite being balanced for a party also seems reasonable. That being said perhaps we need a 4th(i dont count casual) option, 5th option if you do count casual.

I like the above system (normal = 1st life, etc). Maybe broken down this way:

1) Casual = meant for solo (or solo with hirelings). Maybe limit to a party size of 3, or just keep it with the limited loot optons?

2) normal = first lifers and the much-maligned 'easy button' version. The expectation would be that toons running through are undergeared by a few levels and DCs would be lower.

2) Hard - 2nd lifers or top-geared 1st lifer toons.

3) Elite - multi-lifers with the best gear.

Epics would be the same with the following caveat:

4) Epic Elites - This would be the version where everyone 'needs' 9 past lives because of the nosebleed DCs,

GET RID OF BRAVERY BONUS. Seriously. If there was no bravery bonus, there'd be no reason for the overwhelming demand for the 'elite for streak' push. It hurts both PUGs and social play among friendlies.

I can't always group with friendly people because I have some weak-@ss 1st life toons and the friendly types I run with are usually multi-TRs. They're willing to help carry my sorry toons for social purposes, but they're not going to break their bravery bonus on top of it (and I don't blame them!). But, I hate joining elite runs and either dying a lot, or at least not really effectively contributing.

Conversely, if I'm on hard runs, I'm at least "okay" as far as making a contribution. So I can happily both be social and pull my own weight.

My high bravery bonus friends can't just put their streak on hold. We can try to find a dungeon everyone with a streak has already done and enjoys, but that can be harder than it sounds.

If the streak wasn't there, it would solely be a matter of balancing gear and play skill to the dungeons we want to run.

I like the above system (normal = 1st life, etc). Maybe broken down this way:

1) Casual = meant for solo (or solo with hirelings). Maybe limit to a party size of 3, or just keep it with the limited loot optons?

2) normal = first lifers and the much-maligned 'easy button' version. The expectation would be that toons running through are undergeared by a few levels and DCs would be lower.

2) Hard - 2nd lifers or top-geared 1st lifer toons.

3) Elite - multi-lifers with the best gear.

Epics would be the same with the following caveat:

4) Epic Elites - This would be the version where everyone 'needs' 9 past lives because of the nosebleed DCs,

GET RID OF BRAVERY BONUS. Seriously. If there was no bravery bonus, there'd be no reason for the overwhelming demand for the 'elite for streak' push. It hurts both PUGs and social play among friendlies.

I can't always group with friendly people because I have some weak-@ss 1st life toons and the friendly types I run with are usually multi-TRs. They're willing to help carry my sorry toons for social purposes, but they're not going to break their bravery bonus on top of it (and I don't blame them!). But, I hate joining elite runs and either dying a lot, or at least not really effectively contributing.

Conversely, if I'm on hard runs, I'm at least "okay" as far as making a contribution. So I can happily both be social and pull my own weight.

My high bravery bonus friends can't just put their streak on hold. We can try to find a dungeon everyone with a streak has already done and enjoys, but that can be harder than it sounds.

If the streak wasn't there, it would solely be a matter of balancing gear and play skill to the dungeons we want to run.

Smile

In my opinion, any 1st life toon with good gears and toon setup can do ANY diff well.

And please, don't get rid of the bravery bonuses, it help TR a lot.

You can also have the option of running with your guild and/or post your own lfm if you don't like those "uber meany elite group." You can also have the option of not running with elite group and join normal pug. And like I said, you can make your own lfm if you don't like it. I seen few people around these days (this is not offending anyone in this thread but it based on my observation inside the game) running around complaining about how difficult quest is when they don't HAVE to join pug on elite and can also make their own lfm. (P.S. don't run diff that your toon is not ready for then complain about it).

Wy are people counting a past life as being meaningful when discussing difficulty? What does that get you at the most? 1 DC, a couple of spell pen, 10 hp, 5% healing amp or +1 tactics DC or something equally mundane. Past lives are the LAST thing you want to consider adding to your build, if at all. Because you are gaining more by working on almost any other aspect of your toon for a significantly shorter time. Stop talking about past lives as if they are worth anything more than bragging rights to people who probably get excited when they see a uniform or a badge. You are all so guilty, so many of you.

mmorpg thought for solo playing = fails as mmorpg

simply, why are this players paying a net connection if they don't need one? it's the "single player" version of old games had
    psykopeta - hoarding pl, for the sake of hoarding, the day i become ubercompletionist will be because there isn't anything to delay it more - thelanis, where the gimps claim to be pros and noobs claim to be pros, no newbies allowed(unless they claim to be pros), we have enough drama w/o them. PS i'm not a pro, maybe if i reincarnate in RL...

Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast