Page 45 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzie View Post
    Your post makes me seriously consider that your readying comprehension sills were somewhat overridden by arrogance.
    Are you finding Ungood's posts arrogant? Are you serious?

Go post more in other topics and you will soon learn what is meant as regular "arrogance" around here...

Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    Now again, for whatever reasons you seem to present this stand or have personal issues against offering freedom of choice and giving players options, but, thankfully Turbine did not, and in that spirit is it time for Melee to be given the same freedom that arcane and divine have been enjoying.
    Yes to freedom, not so cool to create races and spells to overpower a single class on the other hand

(guess what i am referring to! )
    How to revamp past life reward system <--- working again
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.
    Developers should fix this

Quote Originally Posted by Phemt81 View Post
    Yes to freedom, not so cool to create races and spells to overpower a single class on the other hand
    I agree, and I believe that it should be about balance first and foremost, and in my mind that comes from leveling the playing field, more options and more freedom allows for example, a group of all melee to have the same chance to complete an average adventure as a group of all casters would. Right now, that is simply not the case.

I am not for nerfs, I find them to be the last resort on anything, and I firmly believe that there is no need to nerf a class, when an augment to another class would better address the issue.

With that, I believe simply that for a viable grasp on game difficulty to be fathomable, first the classes need to be a closer to balanced then they currently are.

Such is my feelings on this.

Community Member

I feel the game difficulty is pretty good so far, normal is just easy for any twinked toon but a decent difficulty for new players without past lifes and twink gear

the real problem is this players have a hard time finding appropiate groups, and normal quests are too hard to solo for a new player, there should be ways to encourage new players to play quests on normal and band together, since what usually happens is that they find their way into a vet group running on elite on elite and just get dragged around the quest, but when it comes to them doing the job they simply cannot because they don't understand how the game is played

also there are 2 things that imo hurt a lot new players in a way really frustrating, one is oozes, easy to solve with a muckbane, but many new players do not know they exist or where to get one, and the other strong problem is melf acid arrow, right now it can be stacked on a toon once for every enemy caster, on a new player that is something like an announced instadeath they cannot avoid
    Last edited by garlor; 04-10-2012 at 08:05 AM.

I'm going to be a little whiny here . . . but SOME of the traps and environmental effects on elite/epic difficulties are just absurd regarding there damage output, especially when they can double/triple tap you. They scale significantly more than the damage output of the mobs and some just aren't avoidable.

Though it's more of a case by case thing so it'd have to be looked at individually.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey-Boy View Post
    I'm going to be a little whiny here . . . but SOME of the traps and environmental effects on elite/epic difficulties are just absurd regarding there damage output, especially when they can LAG double/triple tap you. They scale significantly more than the damage output of the mobs and some just aren't avoidable.

Though it's more of a case by case thing so it'd have to be looked at individually.
    This^

And if you don't mind i've added something
    We absolutely planned for Fighter to still have Haste Boost. It's absolutely a bug. Any similar issues that look "wrong" to any player should be bugged.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey-Boy View Post
    I'm going to be a little whiny here . . . but SOME of the traps and environmental effects on elite/epic difficulties are just absurd regarding there damage output, especially when they can double/triple tap you. They scale significantly more than the damage output of the mobs and some just aren't avoidable.

Frankly, I like traps being lethal on higher difficulties. Yeah, looking for a trapper is a pain in the rear sometimes, but I still wouldn't have it any other way. It just adds something unique to DDO. Traps, puzzles, the Pit. All a part of the game.

Over 3 years of playing, here is the progress of my perception of game difficulty.

1st Characters, several 28 point builds
    —> spell casting was complicated & never seemed powerful
    —> deleted several wizards and sorcerers
    —> built a dex-based rogue/barbarian, abandoned for 2 years @ level 11

During this initial 4-6 months of playing, even Korthos on normal seemed difficult. My first time running collaborator on elite, the entire party was killed by the Drexelhand. Similar experiences in Misery Peak, Haverdasher, Butcher's Path, etc. I decided to stay far, far away from elite.

Even hard was intimidating.

32 point builds
    —> I built a favored soul, casting seemed a lot easier...heal heal heal
    —> The favored soul was also an arcane archer...plink plink plink
    —> It took me 4 months to cap the favored soul

Playing a healer class will result in constant assistance from everyone to help you improve your game play. Everyone wants a good healer in their group. Vets will be very helpful.

I was dragged back into elites in the last 2 weeks of my characters path to 20. Several TR groups helped me quickly reach cap.

Hard seemed easy. Elite was doable with a good group.

Shared bank & twink gear
    —> I discovered the character planner...yay, builds!
    —> I discovered the forums...yay, punters!
    —> Sarlona, here comes my weird take on the exploiter (12 Ranger, 7 Monk, 1 Rogue)
    —> I reached cap in 2 months...twink gear and knowledge FTW
    —> Favored soul rebuilt as scimitar TWF
    —> Started running epics with both my Favored Soul & Exploiter (VoN 1,2,3,6, eDQ raid, eTTT, eBoB)

This was about a year into playing. I had green steel built for both my characters. Both had raid items. Neither had any epic items.

Elite was mostly much easier - with some notable exceptions: VoN3, Bastion, Sins, I Dream of Jeets.

34-point built, Shield Mastery & DoTs
    —> 2 month march back to cap with Favored Soul
    —> Death just didn't happen
    —> Started a wizard after spell changes, capped quickly
    —> Lesser reincarnated my long abandoned dex-based barbarian, capped, TR'ed as monk & capped again

The spell changes really improved game play for casters.

Leveled characters by running E-E-E-H-N through high XP quests.

Bravery bonus & artificer
    —> TR'ed my monk into an artificer legend and capped in 86 hours of game-play

While leveling, I host 1st-Five or be self-sufficient LFMs. Adventurers often join, but rarely contribute.

Weapons shipment & In The Flesh are the difficult quests.

Experience Tomes & Vet-7
    —> I've yet to TR or start any new characters since these changes

Thoughts & Opinions
    Tomes, Bravery Bonus, Reign of Madness & Web of Chaos helped alleviate the stress of GH/Orchard XP doldrums. I'll just move on to the level 15 quests even if it's not at an ideal level.

Also, I didn't start crafting until the 2nd update to the system. My artificer was low level crafter while leveling. The twink gear you can make does more to trivialize difficult content than any change to the game since I've been playing.

Normal difficulty is correct for those starting the game. But with bravery bonus and abundance of twink gear, it is difficult to find groups for normal. Even those that struggle in hard will try to maintain a streak.

Ideas & Suggestions on tuning difficulty

Casual — 2
    Normal - 4-5
    Hard -—- 6-8
    Elite ---— 14
    Epic -——- 20

The difficulty range for normal and hard represents dungeon scaling for 1-2, 3-4 & 5-6 party members. Elite and epic should not have dungeon scaling. And under no circumstance should a dungeon be easier to solo on a harder difficulty than it is to run with a full party on an easier difficulty.

Elite should be a substantial jump from hard. Epic should be similarly harder than elite.

Elite In The Flesh is beautifully well tuned. It is difficult to do without coordination, skill and gear. The challenge is that the combination of mobs and the boss, work well against players.

Elite Weapons Shipment is fun, but adding mobs & dungeon alert is not usually a good way to increase challenge. It's also the poster child quest for why elite should not scale. Anyone bauble hunting will solo then open an LFM.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Question

What I've never understood is this :

In EVERY quest you get the posibility to choose from a difficulty. You just need to have run the lower difficulty just once.

But this is not what I do not understand.

What I do not understand is this : Within the bar with these different difficulties, there's also "Epic" mentioned.

In EVERY quest.

Does this mean that there are epic Korthos Village quests, too ?

I just can't verify, because I don't have any level necessary to run anything "epic".

That's why I ask.

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

Having gotten my first character to the half-way point (level 10), I had a few thoughts about difficulty, looking back on what I've been able to do thus far. My "main" so far is a soloist, no hireling, no twink halfling assassin.

The biggest sticking point in multiple missions / APs has been "Keep NPC <X> alive" missions. I'm stuck in Threnal and unlikely to complete for several to many more levels for this reason. I'm stuck in Red Fens with this same issue, and not going back to that AP for quite a while, for that reason. I've given up on Faithful Departed as well, for the foreseeable future, and I'll probably do it as an elite favor run (so I only have to do it once) after I'm in my mid-teens or higher.

If my experience is just a product of my own stubbornness, well, then that's my problem. If it's a reasonably common pattern for your casual soloist players (there are probably a fair number of both, even if most don't post here), then consider offering multiple ways to complete at least some of the most notorious "Guard NPC <X>" missions. Here's a thread I started with one example of a suggested increase in ways to complete the notorious "Coyle" missions in Threnal:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...77#post4417177

Also, please consider that of all the kinds of missions in MMOs, "Guard or fail" missions are one of the most common sources of frustration for players; in a game in which raising the dead is a common ability that's even more true, and it makes such objectives come across as an arbitrary way of raising mission difficulty, a glaring example of "Deux Ex Machina."

Quote Originally Posted by Truga View Post
    Frankly, I like traps being lethal on higher difficulties. Yeah, looking for a trapper is a pain in the rear sometimes, but I still wouldn't have it any other way. It just adds something unique to DDO. Traps, puzzles, the Pit. All a part of the game.
    Many traps have no boxes.

I think just having checkpoints in the quests labeled long and very long would be nice. Just divide the final total xp up by however many checkpoints. maybe make it so you cant just farm to the first 2 checkpoints over and over for the full bonus xp, or something

no, I didnt read through 44 pages of entries.

Community Member

Default Don't make it too easy

World of warcraft self destructed because it was nerfed to death. It's living on fumes and fond memories now. That's why I'm playing here. I want challenge, I don't want to see past achievements nerfed and made easy down the road.

Community Member

Default Crafting on the other hand

Just boggles me. I simply don't get it.

2 years of running the shroud and I have gotten a grand total of 10 large devils scales, that may seem alot but when it takes 5 to make one item, (I have two items completed now) that to me is a little "difficult", to the point where I just farm epic gear now, gave up on GS.

As for actual dungeon difficulty, I think it's pretty good all round at the moment, I may jump on the forums after a bad run and demand a nerf to the "bad guys" and scream bloody murder etc, but in a calm state of mind, the game difficulty is very well set.

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyTheJourney View Post
    The biggest sticking point in multiple missions / APs has been "Keep NPC <X> alive" missions.
    These are a perfect example of why this game is so difficult, if not impossible, to judge difficulty on. For some builds, these quests are darn near impossible to solo at-level. But for Healers, and possibly CC'ers (never played one, just taking a guess), they're not so bad.

So no it's not just you, but it's also not necessarily a 'common pattern' either.
    Bronies: For those who get it, no explanation is needed; for those who don't, none will do.

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

Thumbs up Well put

Quote Originally Posted by FooWonk View Post
    *snip*
    I really enjoyed your review, +1 for the time and input.
    Gamma Tester, Dungeons & Dragons Online
    Beta Tester, DDO: Eberron Unlimited
    Alpha Tester, DDO: Stormreach

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post

I just can't verify, because I don't have any level necessary to run anything "epic".

That's why I ask.
    Unfortunately, no. Only the recently released free-to-play quests are epic enabled. The rest are in adventure packs you get through VIP or buying with TPs (and not all of them). At least the f2p epics enable f2p players to earn tokens for their next TR...

This doesn't mean that at some point these quests will be revisited and tuned to allow them to be run on epic. But it's not likely to happen with any speed if it happens at all.

As for balance, it doesn't really bother me that some classes can solo everything while pure melees are dependent on a healer/support. I would like to see a better balance to individual encounter survivability - where the barb can survive the same fight as the FVS or <insert element here> savant, even if at some expense - and I'm not talking excessive chugging of silver flame pots - it would be nice if there was a feasible option that didn't rely on favor. The question is, what?

I get that those with blue bars can and often do spend large amounts of coin on mnemonic potions, scrolls, wands and so forth. Maybe the tiers of cure medium/serious/critical wounds in potion form could use a boost of an extra 1d6/2d6/3d6 on top of their current values through an enhancement or tied to melee levels, with or without stacking with healing amp, and I'd pay more for that for when it's needed.

I'd also like to see pure melees able to get an option for a certain amount of fortification bypass, even if it's non-stacking. Perhaps barbarian frenzy could grant 5 or 10% per tier that stacks with nothing, and fighters may get something similar through another means. Just throwing it out there...
    Goe ahed... korekt mah spelin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrik_Fassbauer View Post

That's why I ask.
    Not really. You need to be 20th level to run epic quests.

You can verify which packs contain epic quests on this page http://ddowiki.com/page/Adventure_Packs

Also, the last ftp chain does allow epic difficulty.

If you have more questions feel free to ask.

IMHO difficulty in DDO is and will always be very relative as long as 2 crucial aspects dont get fixed: AC and epics.

AC is a HUGE mechanic in this game and the fact it is broken is just sad. This alone will make the perspectives about difficulty vary alot. In fact, the first levels of any character in DDO are very enjoyable because there is consistency in about everything (damage output, defenses etc). The farther the game progresses you start to lose that consistency and the game becomes a min/max machine which is and will always be a step in the wrong direction for new players.

There is too much overpowered loot in this game which IMHO breaks the core mechanics of it. After all this is a d20 system... Making items that break that system is breaking the whole concept of consistency.

To prove what I am saying we just need to look into epics. I consider myself a veteran player and I have ran exactly 7 epics so far in 3 years. Why, you may ask? Because to me the idea of exploring "stupid" AI and kiting mobs that hit you every time is just absurd.

Correct the core mechanics of this game and you will get it as balanced as it can be. If we spend 80% of our time in quests fighting/casting spells is only fair that system is fair and allows progression with consistency.

Just my 2 cents

The normal and hard difficulty is right in place with the game. Elite is not and I feel it should be more challenging since I can solo elite content with ease. As for rewards, it should also scale to content level.

Page 45 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast