Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Challenges need some stuff for Divines

Been running the challenges a lot lately. The main reason is that there is actually some pretty awesome loot to be had. There's 2 items that I see as must-have for my 2 monks (with another item for each that would be nice to have), and then there's 2 items that I want for my soon-to-be sorc (TR time is coming up), with another item that would be nice to have for him. Then, there's my divine, and he wants...um...no items?

Yeah, that's right. There is nothing in that list that interests my WF FvS at all. It's kind of a huge bummer, actually. Why would no good items be given to divines? I mean, there's a whole slew of items that are great for sorcs, even one that's specific to fleshy sorcs (Frozen Tunic). But nothing for divines? Considering that divines have the enhancements/class benefits to also wield weapons, why not some dual-purposed weapons (good for melees or divines) that would be excellent in the hands of divines that put some effort into melee? And, there's also no helmets in the challenge loot, so maybe a new helmet, too?

Something like this (these are just the level 20 versions):

Epic (weapon) of Wrath
    Tier 1
    +5 enhancement bonus
    Bleeding
    Slicing
    NEW Vorpal
    Superior Laceration 9
    Major Laceration Lore

Tier 2
    Remove:
    +5 enhancement bonus
    Add:
    +6 enhancement bonus
    Epic Laceration 6
    Colorless Augment Slot

Tier 3
    Remove:
    Major Laceration Lore
    Add:
    Superior Laceration Lore
    Red Augment Slot

This would come in multiple weapon varieties, all of which would be favored weapons of the faiths, and all faiths would be represented. So Longsword, Shortsword, Greatsword, Scimitar, and Longbow. Also, it's been long overdue for a Vorpal Longbow, and why not a Vorpal shortsword?

Maybe, as a throwout to Artificers, there could be a Bastard Sword and Heavy Repeater, as well? Also, there's been a lot of complaints that there's no Quarterstaves or Dwarven Waraxes in the challenge loot, so maybe those could be added as well?

Note: Vorpal is a nice effect, but is largely worse than holy, for example, in epic or elite end game content. To make Vorpal top, or near top (mob dependent), of the prefix abilities, I would alter it so that it functions a bit more like Smiting, Banishing, etc. They do 4d6 bane damage on every hit vs. their chosen foe. That would be a lot for Vorpal, as it affects a massive list of creatures, but 2d6 bane damage seems reasonable. It IS a +5 enhancement after all.

Epic (Weapon) of Vengeful Light
    Tier 1
    +5 enhancement bonus
    Incandescence
    Brilliance
    Radiant Blast
    Superior Radiance 9
    Major Radiance Lore

Tier 2
    Remove:
    +5 enhancement
    Add:
    +6 enhancement
    Epic Radiance 6
    Colorless Augment Slot

Tier 3
    Remove:
    Major Radiance Lore
    Add:
    NEW Luminance
    Superior Radiance Lore
    Red Augment Slot

Like the Weapons of Wrath, these would come in the five favored weapons of the faiths (Longsword, Shortsword, Greatsword, Scimitar, Longbow), and would make decent universal beaters as very few mobs are resistant to light damage. Obviously, this would be a very good weapon in the hands of melee clerics and fvs, perhaps even rivaling the eSoS in terms of use.

Also, to address the lack of good endgame Dwarven Waraxes and, to a lesser extent, Quarterstaves and Bastard Swords, maybe those three could also be Weapons of Vengeful Light. The last two I included just to give them some appearance in the challenge loot list (which could bring more appeal to the 1495 TP pack).

Note: Luminance would be a new ability, but would follow the standard elemental progression that Incandescence and Brilliance follow, being the “blast” tier. So Luminance would be (crit multiplier -1)d10 light damage on a critical hit, and 4d6 additional light damage on a vorpal hit.

Epic Hospitaler's Helm
    Tier 1
    Superior Devotion 9
    Major Healing Lore
    Mass Death Ward (CL 20, 1/rest)
    Improved Regeneration
    Healing Amplification 10%

Tier 2
    Remove:
    Improved Regeneration
    Add:
    Epic Devotion 6
    Greater Regeneration
    Colorless Augment Slot

Tier 3
    Remove:
    Major Healing Lore
    Add:
    Superior Healing Lore
    Healing Amplification 15%
    Yellow (maybe Green?) Augment Slot

This item would be ideal for Divine casters, but would also be excellent on many melees, as well. The Mass Deathward clicky would make this sought after by many, and the Healing Amp 10% is a great ability that's available on very few items. Greater Regeneration is okay, but the 15% Healing Amp at tier 3 is a unique value that would make this a very highly sought after item.

The lack of divine items in the challenges, and the lack of certain epic weapons in the challenges, has been something player have complained about since this pack was previewed on Lamannia. These items would fill some of those holes, and also create new incentives for people to spend money on what many consider an over-priced pack with substandard game play (for the record, I enjoy the non-kobold challenges).
    Last edited by waterboytkd; 12-21-2011 at 04:00 PM.

2015 DDO Players Council FuzzyDuck81's Avatar

Nice ideas, well balanced & thought out
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Honestly, I think this ENTIRE game is a bit lacking in gear in the Divine department. As a (background) cleric, I have to make due with melee and caster gear that all give me more DPS. When I'm healing people there's no need for more DPS. Superior Devotion IX, Superior Potency IX (may be a bit too much), Healing Amp. etc. is what I''ll be needing.

However, I have no experience with the high level content, so I may be wrong.

As a WF, the Ring of Master Artifice hasn't piqued your interest at all?

Community Member

All the challenge gear is so weird.

Its almost all these strange hybrid pieces, that are so-so if you can take advantage of one part of it, but AMAZING if you can take advantage of both.

Cloak of Flames for instance, gives AC and Fire resistance to tanks or fire damage and crit to sorcerers/wizards, but if your some strange wiz-tank it is incredible.

Or the spare hand belt, gives you all your trap skills for a rogue or gives you improvements to trip/stun/sunder for a fighter, but if your some strange bruiser rogue/fighter combo with combat tactics its amazing.

Speaking of which, Dwarf Rogue/Fighter with Imp. Feint and Stunning Blow and Imp. Trip dual wielding Warhammers and an eyepatch...brb rerolling awesomesauce...

Anyways ya its lacking in the divine department. I ran a bunch (I.E. over 5000 collectables) on my Barbarian cause I thought they were fun, and made him that amazing Elemental Greataxe, but there is really nothing worthwhile to use them on for my FvS Evoker except XP Potions.

I like those ideas. What I'd also like to see is a weapon such as a Falchion, Greatsword, or Greataxe that bestows proficiency when equipped as well. We already have shields which bestow Tower Shield proficiency when equipped (Madstone) so this wouldn't be such a huge leap I wouldn't think. (And if there IS such a weapon already, please let me know - I would grind for that as much as I did the grind for my Torcs and my Baubles )
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Community Member

sadly the last several updates have had very little gear for divines or what gear there was has been in my opinion very lame. the notable exception to this is the sora kell set which i suspect wasn't intended to be a divine set but turned out to work very well for divines. of course this is par for the course for most divine gear. while putting devotion or radiance on an item is sorta nice, how about putting potency on instead so all of the divines spells get a boost? my divine always has a potency item on so devotion/radiance boosts are pointless. if an item for divines must have radiance instead of potency give us epic radiance V since the only divine light spells are level 1 - nimbus of light, level 3 - searing light, and level 5 - divine punishment. how about a divine item that gives archmagi instead of wizardry 6, looking at you ToD sets. lately i've been taking a hard look at what divines get, spells, items, PrE's, or lack there of, spell point cost for heal and mass heal getting raised, no SLA's and i'm convinced that the devs don't want players to play divines, especially clerics. this is really sad as i usually enjoy playing my cleric but with the lack of really nice gear to work towards i often wonder why i should grind with him.
    Server: Sarlona. Characters: Rackoribs Barbequed, Brautwurst Flamegrilled, Porkloin Flameseared

The only thing I can think of, they need to be careful with how they make it. If they start going off by making stuff that really augments light damage, they will make DP even more powerful than it already is.
    Officer - Eternal Wrath
    Burne Level 20 Human Paladin
    Sarlona

Community Member

The healers did seem to get short changed on the challenge gear. It would be nice if they got something.
    Thorgred, Cavitycreep, Creeploaf, Creepingdoom of Thelanis. Member of C-L-A-W

don't forget kama's for clonks
    Jesus saves. Everyone else rounds to nearest 5%.

Sarlona: Nafaka[Rogue] Nandu[Monk] Neotheny[Wizard]
    Bullet Fist Tony My rogue's build

Quote Originally Posted by Siro View Post
    As a WF, the Ring of Master Artifice hasn't piqued your interest at all?
    As a FVS, he isn't using repair spells, so the only real use is Archmagi on a ring slot + Reconstruct proc. I haven't extensively tested the Recon proc, but since he's a healer with the capstone heal, he probably isn't going to be relying on that to keep him alive.

So, if he needs to free up the waist slot to put archmagi on a finger, then maybe he could get some use from it.

All in all, I'm not too crazy about that ring. I have a WF wizard who you think would be an ideal candidate for that ring, yet I don't use it. I don't like relying on a proc for an unbuffed recon, I use Rhakir's set which gives me Archmagi on the waist, and critical reconstructs (seemingly the only real benefit from the recon lore) only seem to overheal me on some rare occasions. Honestly, I just use a +3 exceptional con +6 strength ring on my other ring slot, as it keeps me from being enfeebled to death, and frees up some other slots.

If nothing else, just provide bonuses that already exist in the game in a nice convenient "space saving package" in a slot that isn't highly competitive.

Stuff that divines want:
    • Superior Brilliance V clicky. It's available via Cannith Crafting already, if it's combined with something else that a divine would want on an epic/challenge item, it would be a nice space saving measure.
    • Evocation, Necromancy, and possibly Enchantment and Conjuration focuses
    • To-hit boosts for more melee types
    • SP saving measures, like on the Staff of the Petitioner. Metamagic reductions are nice too, but they simply don't do enough to warrant taking up an equipment slot unless the item does something ELSE too.
    • Augmentation enhancements like the arcane only version on the Staff of Arcane Power, or the evocation only version of the Infused Chaosrobe. If you're worried about Heal and Mass Heal, limit it to just Evocations.
    • For Clerics, extra turning items like the non-epic Sacred Band. Also fix the bug with them so that swapping doesn't eat up turns. Turn enhancing items are just not wanted by a very large percentage of divine players. Extra turn items ARE wanted, but are incredibly limited.
    • Radiance, Laceration and/or Arcane Lore items, preferably in a less competitive slot than weapon, trinket, or necklace. The Bracelet of Madness is a nice new item for that but doesn't provide as much as what Arcanes get.
    • Another WIS+7 item besides the Epic Helm of the Mroranon.
    • Decent melee weapons that grant proficiency, even if it requires some pre-req to have. An example is the Chimera's Fang, you get proficiency if you have a Dragonmark. Granting proficiency to a decent Greatsword or Falchion simply for having one of the "faith" lines (feat or enhancement) would give divines who dabble in melee a nice tool to use when they don't need to or can't afford to cast. The Epic Souleater, upgraded Dreamspitter, and Rahl's Mights are great Cleric weapons, but they should not be the only options. Alternately, a 1-click Master's Touch clickie as raid loot would work.
    • Guard and DR items, preferably in less competitive spots.
    • Striding, Jump, and Balance combined with something else that a divine would want. Clerics especially are commonly known for being incredibly clumsy and unable to jump effectively.
    • Stop building set bonuses around turning enhancements. Turning at high levels is a niche that maybe 1-3% of the players will ever want to use. It may be worth having one set for turning, but not as many as we currently have.

Was there anything in there for bards? I don't recall seeing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by davidolson22 View Post
    Was there anything in there for bards? I don't recall seeing anything.
    The Blasting Chime, if they fixed the huge number of bugs with it.

Weaken Construct, Superior Sonic Lore, Superior Resonance IX, Epic Resonance VI, Cacophonic Guard, Greater Evocation Focus, Anthem, Inherent (10) Sonic Resistance, Empty Colorless Augment Slot, Empty Green Augment Slot

Possibly the Chainshirt, but it really doesn't do as much as a good DT or Epic Demon Scale. Some of the elemental absorption items as swap-ins possibly.

Some of the weapons for situational purposes.

Bards got a bit more than divines, but still didn't get a great deal.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarisa View Post
    If nothing else, just provide bonuses that already exist in the game in a nice convenient "space saving package" in a slot that isn't highly competitive.

Stuff that divines want:
    Please make some decent goggles. It's a pretty useless slot on my cleric and on my FvS

Quote Originally Posted by DeathsApprentice View Post
    Please make some decent goggles. It's a pretty useless slot on my cleric and on my FvS
    Make greensteel for those.
    Officer - Eternal Wrath
    Burne Level 20 Human Paladin
    Sarlona

I would like to see an item that has some benefit to a divine (adds to wis/cha) AND potency/lore.

Or how about one that gives a divne the Arty Force enhancement line? Clerics had blade barrier 5 years before Artificer did, and cometfall.

Clerics have gotten the uttery and complete shaft for loot since day one of the game. Ex. Von Helm - Wisdom + intim...pally anyone?

All items with generic lore are called arcane lore - showing the mindset of 'arcanes do damage'. The stormreaver cloak; +1 to all Dc's...and +6 int....

While it would be nice to have some kind of challenge item that does some of what is above - I want to see an item that is geared towards a 'warpriest' or evoker build.

Radiance 9...would be nice if there was more than a level 3 light spell, and recently a level 5 spell.

Clerics are pretty much at the absolute bottom of priority lists for real gear and enhancements that are other than "Hjeel more".

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riggs View Post
    While it would be nice to have some kind of challenge item that does some of what is above - I want to see an item that is geared towards a 'warpriest' or evoker build.
    Don't weapons with uber light or laceration damage boosts fit that bill? Not to mention, the weapons are no slouches on their own (lots of light damage is good against almost all mobs; new vorpal with slicing and bleeding is pretty strong, too).

Radiance 9...would be nice if there was more than a level 3 light spell, and recently a level 5 spell.
    I'll give you, anything beyond radiance 5 is worthless at the moment. But, why limit an items usefulness to the present? Giving it radiance 9 means that weapons are there for when the devs give divines a few more light spells, including a 9th level one (if they ever do).

I would absolutely like to see more light single target spells at higher levels, and more laceration type AoE/persistant AoE spells at higher levels, too. Currently, levels 7, 8, and 9 are lacking in useful spells to a melee-style divine, which is unfortunate. Even spells at those levels that increase melee capability would be sweet (for example, a 9th level spell that adds a buff that gives you 1d3 points of light damage per caster level to weapon damage rolls for 6 seconds per caster level; this would be a buff to the caster, not to the weapon, so you could change weapons and still get the bonus, and it wouldn't step on Artificer flavor).

How about ToD rings?

=D

FvS... Arti... Fixed stuff...

That one place in that one state in that one country

Perhaps but the Radiance stuff on the mournlode weapons, along with a few extra turn enchantments for savants?

Helm is a cool idea and I like it
    Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. - Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast