Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default if you had to dip 1 level for UMD what class would you choose?

Rouge
    Artificer
    Bard

so wich one and why?

if you were only allowed 1 level, no more, no less. so not 2 rogue for evasion, not 2 arti for rune arms, etc.

based on the options im thinking Artificer is the best 1 dip for UMD, with the +2 UMD on scrolls, and +1 caster level on scrolls (heal) i think its the way to go, thoughts?

Probably artificer for artificer knowledge: scrolls if UMD was the main reason for the splash. Ranged feats are in there too as a bonus. If I were concerned about bit more damage in melee then rogue.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

It depends which fits your build better.

Rogue gives bonus sneak attack, reflex saves, the most skill points.
    Artificer gives a blue bar, +2 umd with scrolls, +1 caster level as you said.
    Bard gives some of each of the above.

Artificer is probably the strongest choice in general.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Snapdragoon View Post
    Rouge
    Artificer
    Bard

so wich one and why?

if you were only allowed 1 level, no more, no less. so not 2 rogue for evasion, not 2 arti for rune arms, etc.

based on the options im thinking Artificer is the best 1 dip for UMD, with the +2 UMD on scrolls, and +1 caster level on scrolls (heal) i think its the way to go, thoughts?
    Never dip anything in Rouge or Rouge in anything. Just never involve Rouge in any dipping.

For 1 level dip, Artificer. The bonus to scroll UMD is HUGE. You also unlock repeaters (not completely useless at low levels) and Unleash Iron Defender.

The artificer pet will enable you to perform many tasks that would otherwise require a hireling or someone else in group.

Rogue gives sneak attack and haste boost, that makes it better for most builds.

Community Member

Because you are dipping expressly for UMD , I would say rogue.
    Lets assume for better reliability on a higher level player for heal/teleport scrolls for example..

Bard 6 skill points = +6 UMD +1 Focusing Chant spell = +7UMD
    Artificer 4 skill points and a +2 UMD to scrolls effectively +6UMD +situational boosts +2 UMD* = +8UMD
    Rogue 8 skill points = +8UMD +situational boosts +2 UMD* = +10UMD

*Rogue and Artificer have access to enhancement line for skill boost to get another +2 to skills for 20 seconds (unless you are human then the human versitility blows this one away)

You may consider artificer if you like first level Artificer spells like conjure bolts which is handy on a xbow user, but otherwise the rogue is still 2 points ahead in your UMD class skill points.
    Last edited by JOTMON2; 12-21-2011 at 09:44 AM.

I would say dont bother dipping rouge if you didnt do it at lvl 1. If you want to do scrolls, go Artie.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Quote Originally Posted by grodon9999 View Post
    Rogue gives sneak attack and haste boost, that makes it better for most builds.
    If you're splashing on a melee that doesn't have Haste Boost, I'd go with Rogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Bard also nets you a different set of lower-level wand/scroll capabilities and focusing chant.

It really, really, really depends ... what are the other 19? What will the build be doing?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    I would say dont bother dipping rouge if you didnt do it at lvl 1. If you want to do scrolls, go Artie.
    I see what you did there...

hmm for me that question is how many skill points id have spare (after spending on the umd of course)

if 1 or none then artificer - as it would grant a viable ranged option to any character.
    if 2 then bard, dump the spare skill points into perform and make use of fascinate as an emergency CC.
    if more than 2 then rogue or artificer and try ans squeeze in locks and maybe traps or locks and social skills like bluff/diplo/intim.

Also its worth pointing out that a 1 splash into bard will give no fail use of cure wands, so if this is a fighter your dipping 1 bard is a great choice for early lvl wand use and late on scroll use via umd.

btw - whats the class split your looking at? curious why its only 1 dip.. im guessing something like an 18/1/1 is being looked at, id be interested to know the build as it will obviously effect the decision here.
    Ex Euro player from devourer: Charaters on orien(Officer of Under Estimated & Nightfox): Wrothgar, Cobolt, Shadeweaver, TheMetal, Metaphysical, Allfred, Razortusk and many more.
    stuff by me: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...02#post4938302

If the other classes are 18 ranger and 1 monk I have a more definitive answer btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    If the other classes are 18 ranger and 1 monk I have a more definitive answer btw.
    The first rule of exploiter club is, you do not talk about exploiters.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    The first rule of exploiter club is, you do not talk about exploiters.
    Heh. Too good. @Aash. I have an opinion about that too, Aashrym. But I won't talk about it.
    Khyber:Greenberry, Jemric, Qashta, Leuk, Thurradal + many others

Quote Originally Posted by Rydin_Dirtay View Post
    Heh. Too good. @Aash. I have an opinion about that too, Aashrym. But I won't talk about it.
    Well, if it involves banning all the exploiters it could get serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    Well, if it involves banning all the exploiters it could get serious.
    Heh. I know. I almost posted in that thread, some pun about people wanting to BAN my fav Ranger split.
    Khyber:Greenberry, Jemric, Qashta, Leuk, Thurradal + many others

Oh, come on now, really? The Exploiter Ranger and it's thread have been around long enough without any lock or ban. I'd guess that the armor bonus types are the way they are for a reason and the ranger/rogue/monk build is perfectly fine. It's not even as OP as it once was, with better (if not similar) splits taking it's place nowadays. Granted, back when monks first came out, it was rightly seen as an exploit, but after all this time with no locked thread or change to wisdom modifier armor bonus, well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Quote Originally Posted by B.Ogre View Post
    Oh, come on now, really? The Exploiter Ranger and it's thread have been around long enough without any lock or ban. I'd guess that the armor bonus types are the way they are for a reason and the ranger/rogue/monk build is perfectly fine. It's not even as OP as it once was, with better (if not similar) splits taking it's place nowadays. Granted, back when monks first came out, it was rightly seen as an exploit, but after all this time with no locked thread or change to wisdom modifier armor bonus, well...
    You roll a saving throw against sarcasm.
    You roll a 1, failure!

I would say not Artificer because who wants to spend money to get a class just to splash one level of it. If you have 150 Cannith favor, then go for it. When I tried out the class on Lamannia, I was horrified when I saw the dog get bigger at each level. The first level Artificer dog was SO CUTE!

I'll also mention that I love Haste Boost and that one level of Rogue gives you that. If you need to establish aggro, then 20 seconds of faster attacks (that stacks with Haste, etc) is a big help even if you only get to use it a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    You roll a saving throw against sarcasm.
    You roll a 1, failure!
    Doh! QQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast