Default The soloist: a do-it-all melee character

I have never enjoyed melee characters; to me they lack the self sufficiency necessary to be fun and they tend to be to one dimensional. This is my attempt at creating a melee character that addresses these areas. In a nut shell, this build is a generalist melee rather than specializing in one area (ie tanking, dps, ranged, extra). Note: at this point I have not made this build; it’s just a thought exercise.

Disclaimer: this build was heavily influenced by the amazing builds Helves Angel and The Emerald.

Goals:
    1) Great survivability for melee.
    2) Good self healing for melee.
    3) Good DPS.
    4) Range and melee options.
    5) Can tank normal/hard raids.
    6) Can hit most traps.

Split:
    Half elf: 12 dark monk/7 fighter stalwart defender/1 artificer

12 monk gives:
    - Improved evasion
    -earth stance 3
    -ToD
    -abundant step
    -Handwrap usage
    -3d6 sneak attack
    -3 feats
    -10k arrows
    -shadow fade

7 Fighter gives:
    -4 feats
    -10% hp boost
    -haste 3

1 artificer gives:
    -UMD as a class skill
    -lvl 12 heal scrolls
    - +2 UMD to scrolls
    -ability to qualify for AA
    -traps

Half elf gives:
    -AA
    -3d6 SA from rogue delinquent

Feats: 3(monk) + 4(fighter) + 7(level 20) = 14
    Ranged:
    Bow strength
    Manyshot
    Precise shot
    Improved precise shot
    Point blank shot
    Rapid shot

Melee:
    TWF
    ITWF
    GTWF
    Stunning fist

Required for pre:
    Dodge
    Toughness
    Weapon focus piercing
    Zhen Archery

Stats (32 point)-
    Str: 14
    Dex: 16
    Con: 14
    Wis: 14
    Int: 12
    Chr: 8
    Eat a +2 int and dex tome, requires 1 lvl up in dex for IPS.

HP: in stance and decently geared this build can hit 650ish, with amazing gear I would expect it to be able to brake 700.
    AC: solid ac potential mid 80’s to low 90’s.
    Skills: UMD, concentration, intimidate, balance.
    Take Artificer level 1, put 4 ranks into DD, search, OL. Fighter levels invest in intimidate. Extra points dump into search.

Goals:
    1) Great survivability for melee.

15% Dr, improved evasion, shadow fade, good ac; I think this qualifies.

2) Good self healing for melee.

Level 12 heal scrolls with solid heal amp is great self healing.

3) Good DPS.

Many shot, 10,000 stars, stunning fist, 6d6 SA, and ToD give good damage. However the reduced strength and lack of PA and improved critical hurt. I don’t know if this is enough damage.

4) Range and melee options.

Almost full range feets and almost full TWF feets.

5) Can tank normal/hard raids.

Monk gives 55% threat and fighter gives 25% threat, I don’t see agro being a big concern. I have very little experience with this area however, and my biggest concern is the HP.

6) Can hit most traps.

With 4 ranks in OL, DD, search, and active gear swapping this build should be able to hit most traps in the game.

Build concerns:
    1- I am uncertain whether to put level ups into dex, str, or wisdom.
    2- I am missing a few key feats, like improved critical among others. A 12m/6r/2f nets 2 more feats but loses UMD and trap skills.
    3- I am leery of the low hit point total, it seems barely enough.
    4- Enhancements are impossible. There are about 130 that I feel MUST go into the build.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts and feedback!
    PS. Can anyone think of a toon that can melee and range well and still hit 39 UMD without gear swaps?

Default updated!

I have made some changes that I think make the build a bit more manageable.

I have decided to go 12 monk/6ranger/2arti. I lose some threat and hp doing this which makes me think that I have to sacrifice my tanking abilities, however I gain effectively 1 feet, 30% scroll mastery, and more skill points.

This is my feet list that I think ill use:

Melee: (4)
    TWF (R)
    ITWF (R)
    GTWF
    Stunning Fist

Range: (9)
    Many Shot (R)
    + Point Blank shot
    + Rapid Shot (R)
    Improved Precise shot
    +Precise shot
    Bow Strength (R)
    + Weapon Focus (range)
    Improved Critical (range)
    Zen Archery

Extras (2):
    Dodge
    Toughness

If you can help me cut a feet that's not critical I would seriously consider going back to monk/fighter. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

I don't see why you're focusing on ranged combat. Just focus on the melee portion and you'll do just fine.
    Smrti///Warcrye///Dukkha///Nomey///Dhaarmika///Smrtiheals
    Focused Melee Discussion as of U17
    Proud Gimp of Crimson Eagles and now Loreseekers!

Have you looked at Thanimal's HHHH build?

It only manages half ranks in UMD, so I imagine gear swaps would be in order, but with its own self-healing ability I doubt you'd need heal scrolls much.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank_Zero View Post
    I don't see why you're focusing on ranged combat. Just focus on the melee portion and you'll do just fine.
    Your right, this build would be much easier to make without ranged combat, I would have a slew more feets and enhancements to play around with. However I really enjoy the flexibility of range/melee.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNC View Post
    Have you looked at Thanimal's HHHH build?

It only manages half ranks in UMD, so I imagine gear swaps would be in order, but with its own self-healing ability I doubt you'd need heal scrolls much.
    That is a neat build and worthy of consideration, However it would require me to switch race to halfling and thus lose the ability to have AA as a option. - which was what Zero was suggesting. I could plug in arti instead of wizard and maintain full ranks in UMD.

I played a pure 20 monk with cleric delinquent for heal scrolls and I really enjoyed the ability to quickly pop off a heal, gear swaps (half ranks in UMD) would make this type of fluid switching difficult for me to pull off.

You want a melee character who can self heal and has a ranged option, who can attain high AC, good DPS, and be self sufficient?

It's called the exploiter. you could even modify to 12rng/7mnk/1rog and use handwraps, get shadow fade and wholeness of body. You'd lose ToD, improved evasion and earth 3, but gain:
    100% offhand swings (up from 80%)
    your ranged feats and TWF chain are free
    self-cast barkskin, ram's might

If you TR your current monk into this build, with the +1 die step from active PL it could really be a beating.

(P.S. If you're calling the build "The Soloist" shouldn't it have some bard? )

Quote Originally Posted by Artos_Fabril View Post
    You want a melee character who can self heal and has a ranged option, who can attain high AC, good DPS, and be self sufficient?

It's called the exploiter. you could even modify to 12rng/7mnk/1rog and use handwraps, get shadow fade and wholeness of body. You'd lose ToD, improved evasion and earth 3, but gain:
    100% offhand swings (up from 80%)
    your ranged feats and TWF chain are free
    self-cast barkskin, ram's might

If you TR your current monk into this build, with the +1 die step from active PL it could really be a beating.

(P.S. If you're calling the build "The Soloist" shouldn't it have some bard? )
    His set up is already quite good though. If he veers away from the ranged bit, he will have quite a good toon going.

Honestly, ranged is nice, but it's extremely difficult if not impossible to have great ranged and melee (unless you're a pure 20 ranger.)
    Smrti///Warcrye///Dukkha///Nomey///Dhaarmika///Smrtiheals
    Focused Melee Discussion as of U17
    Proud Gimp of Crimson Eagles and now Loreseekers!

Perhaps you guys are right and I should focus more more on melee damage - hell I can make an artificer for range stuff easily enough.

How much range is sufficient enough to be semi useful when range is an option? Is there a way to be at 90% capacity in melee and 90% capacity in range?

For range damage is IPS+manyshot+IC+10kstars+zen archery good enough? Or do i also need to include AA?

For example could I pull out:
    -weapon focus range (AA pre)
    -improved critical Range
    -point blank shot

and invest those 3 feets into melee for a greater return? What ranged feets proved the smallest boost in DPS?

If i go 12 monk (which I really like) I can pick up ToD, in this case is going level ups into wisdom more practical than strength or dex? Overall my biggest concerns end game are can I land my hits and can I land my strikes.

Thanks for your feedback!

Edit: your right about the name, no bard in it. I wish bard and monks could mix, alas... And its poorly named.

Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1 View Post
    Perhaps you guys are right and I should focus more more on melee damage - hell I can make an artificer for range stuff easily enough.

How much range is sufficient enough to be semi useful when range is an option? Is there a way to be at 90% capacity in melee and 90% capacity in range?

For range damage is IPS+manyshot+IC+10kstars+zen archery good enough? Or do i also need to include AA?

For example could I pull out:
    -weapon focus range (AA pre)
    -improved critical Range
    -point blank shot

and invest those 3 feets into melee for a greater return? What ranged feets proved the smallest boost in DPS?

If i go 12 monk (which I really like) I can pick up ToD, in this case is going level ups into wisdom more practical than strength or dex? Overall my biggest concerns end game are can I land my hits and can I land my strikes.

Thanks for your feedback!

Edit: your right about the name, no bard in it. I wish bard and monks could mix, alas... And its poorly named.
    If nothing else, swap Weapon Focused: Ranged for Improved Critical: Bludgeoning, because that increased crit multiplier on 19-20 from earth3 isn't nearly so good when you're not critting on a 19.

AA or no, the only time you'll be better off using ranged is when multi-shot is on cooldown, or melee isn't an option. (LoB pillars, DQ2 ranged portion) This is the thing most AAs get wrong; against single targets, outside of multishot, melee with the appropriate weapons and feats is always higher DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Artos_Fabril View Post
    If nothing else, swap Weapon Focused: Ranged for Improved Critical: Bludgeoning, because that increased crit multiplier on 19-20 from earth3 isn't nearly so good when you're not critting on a 19.

AA or no, the only time you'll be better off using ranged is when multi-shot is on cooldown, or melee isn't an option. (LoB pillars, DQ2 ranged portion) This is the thing most AAs get wrong; against single targets, outside of multishot, melee with the appropriate weapons and feats is always higher DPS.
    The weapon focus ranged is in there because AA requires it (i think), good point about improved critical however. Is melee a higher DPS option when 10k stars are running to? Any general rule of thumb for about how many mobs you need to hit per arrow for ranged DPS to be the same as melee DPS?