Community Member

Default 18plly/2ftr or 20 plly tank build?

i want to make a pally tank but i saw they dont get tower sheild proficency so i was thinking about adding 2 lvls of fighter for 2 extra feats an the tower sheild proficeny but then i would loose pure good wepons wat do u guyz suggest?

Community Member RedDragonScale's Avatar

Pally 20.

The Pally capstone is THAT good.

Make your Pally a Human for the extra (Tower Shield) feat.

I like the 20 Paladin myself because I agree the Capstone is worth it, but you do get more feats with the 2 Fighter levels.

As for the tower shield feat - no need, you just need enough UMD for Masters Touch Scrolls a first level Arcane Spell.

Pure pally = up to 15.5ish damage PER HIT (not counting crits) that you won't have if you splash 2 levels of anything.

Feats you need:

Toughness
    PA/CE (depends on if you're going for AC)
    THFx3
    imp crit
    Shield Mastery
    Extend or Imp Shield Bash (if human which I recommend)

FTR gets you 2 feats and 5 uses of haste boost I

Extra feats you might get:

Extend
    Quicken?
    Toughness?
    SF: UMD?

I say go human and pure. You don't NEED any of the other feats.

Scroll masters touch for shield as needed. (Easy Peasy) as mentioned.
    KASHIL -- KASHILAH -- MATTAH -- MAHGANE -- KHYBER -- ANNIHILATION
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrok View Post
    First, Meat-Head is exactly correct...

Community Member

Stay pure, and if you really want Tower profeciency, take it. It counts as your prereq for the Defender of Siberys PRE anyway. Just do that.

Quote Originally Posted by countfitz View Post
    Stay pure, and if you really want Tower profeciency, take it. It counts as your prereq for the Defender of Siberys PRE anyway. Just do that.
    I respectfully disagree with this suggestion. First off, Shield mastery counts as pre-req and you actually WANT to take that. You don't necessarily NEED a towershield. Some of the best shields are large shields.

if you want to use a tower shield- masters touch it. EASY and FAR CHEAPER than wasting a feat.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Meat-Head View Post
    I respectfully disagree with this suggestion. First off, Shield mastery counts as pre-req and you actually WANT to take that. You don't necessarily NEED a towershield. Some of the best shields are large shields.

if you want to use a tower shield- masters touch it. EASY and FAR CHEAPER than wasting a feat.
    True. So I guess what we should be saying is, "Why is tower shield so important to you?"

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

The real reason to splash ftr 2 is for the extra feats. That's what Dark Knight does it for and I don't see too many "Z0MG UR GIMP3D!!1!" posts in that thread. Haste Boost I, +1 STR enh, tower shield prof. - those are just the extra sprinkles on top.

So the real question becomes: what two feats are more important to your build than the pally capstone? In Dark Knight's case, it was for the Sentinel DMs (+epic Chimera's Fang) and Max+Emp Heal+Quicken for emergency healing (w/Raiyum Torc + Con Opp GS item for regening SPs).

Community Member RedDragonScale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post
    The real reason to splash ftr 2 is for the extra feats. That's what Dark Knight does it for and I don't see too many "Z0MG UR GIMP3D!!1!" posts in that thread. Haste Boost I, +1 STR enh, tower shield prof. - those are just the extra sprinkles on top.

So the real question becomes: what two feats are more important to your build than the pally capstone? In Dark Knight's case, it was for the Sentinel DMs (+epic Chimera's Fang) and Max+Emp Heal+Quicken for emergency healing (w/Raiyum Torc + Con Opp GS item for regening SPs).
    My Pure Human Pally has all the Sentinel Dragonmarks too.

IF you already have the gear, I might consider the 3 dragonmarks. But I think I'd still stay pure if I could. Like I said, the damage is considerable. You do offset that with hasteboost I, but it's limited by cooldowns and # of boosts.

But 2 FTR is still an ok way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by unbongwah View Post

IF I were splashing, I would do it for survivability like this. I splashed on my pally for quicken and extend. I might even find a way to put maximize back in. I have a torc and conc-opp and in some situations, it makes me practically unkillable (soloing certain amrath quests = ez)

The capstone has little to nothing to do with tanking.

He wants a tank, and the 18/2 is superior to pure.

If he wanted a DPS paladin, and argument could be made for going pure.

What would be nice is a tanking capstone since paladins are being nudged in that direction.
    Guilds: Prophets of the New Republic & Revenents Khyber
    Active:
    Clean 18barb/2ftr Cleen 20arti Kleaner 20monk Darkstaar Dark Knight Psyborg 20sorc Warrwitch 20wiz Roque 19rog/1mnk Killeric 18fvs/2monk AA Duality Helves Angel
    Builds: Helves Angel Hurtlocker Dark Knight Riddle of Steel

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

For a first-time pally tank, my suggestion would be to stay pure; focus on DPS, threat, HPs, heal amp, and dmg mitigation from Shield Mastery; and - here's the possibly radical part - ignore AC.

Why? Early on, it's not hard to have good AC from full plate + shield on those rare occasions when it helps; the rest of the time, you'll want to be in DPS mode w/PA + 2H weapon. Later on, as AC becomes harder to maintain because you lack the gear & buffs necessary as a first-timer, dmg mitigation from SM + DoS stance will be more useful than AC to you. By the time you get to endgame, you'll know whether or not you're willing to commit the time & resources necessary into grinding for your tanking gear (inc. AC gear) and can LR or TR into your "real" AC tank build.

Ignoring AC also means you can dump-stat DEX & INT (no need for CE w/SM to meet DoS pre-req), giving more pts to put into STR, CHA, and CON (roughly in that order of importance).

Basically, I treat first-time S&B tanks as DPS builds who can go into S&B mode for extra survivability while still doing decent DPS vs bosses etc. Why throw a long list of epic tanking gear at someone who I'm guessing is new to tanks?

Quote Originally Posted by Dark-Star View Post
    The capstone has little to nothing to do with tanking.

He wants a tank, and the 18/2 is superior to pure.

If he wanted a DPS paladin, and argument could be made for going pure.

What would be nice is a tanking capstone since paladins are being nudged in that direction.
    Exactly. In what shape or form does being a pure paladin make a character a better tank? The answer is it does not whereas 2 fighter levels gives a pally 3 free feats if you count tower shield proficiency which can all be spent on tanking feats/self healing/etc.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Exactly. In what shape or form does being a pure paladin make a character a better tank? The answer is it does not whereas 2 fighter levels gives a pally 3 free feats if you count tower shield proficiency which can all be spent on tanking feats/self healing/etc.

Ok.. This is true I suppose. However, you'd be giving up dps in the other 90% of the game you play for a marginal benefit in the tanking ones. None of the feats you would take would be a significant benefit as far as I can see.