Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fast leveling but end-game viable build with no resources

I am starting anew on a new server and need/want to fast level to 16-17 in 2 weeks (tops). What I want is a toon that is self-sufficient enough to be able to run quests for XP whether or not there are groups (and hopefully can manage not to die no matter how bad the PUG is).

I will not have access to any of my pp, any of my crafting, any of my amassed loot... kind of like a complete noob, except I have quest knowledge.

Some ideas I've had:
    - a sorcerer (fire or ice, than switch to air at some level?!) - Pro: fun Con: this isn't solo able unless I mean with 1 cleric and 1 rogue hireling at minimum
    - The Helves Angel build (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=289591) - Pro: I love the idea of AA, and this one seems less sucky for end-game content. Con: zero idea of solo ability of Rangers and such.
    - Evoker FvS (some nice builds on forum) - Pro: self-heals Con: I don't know how evoker FvS are at low level.

I prefer ranged toons, I've thought about paladin but they're not very epic viable or end-game awesome (working on a tank through 2-3 lives for eLotB on my main server). Melee FvS are fun to level, but I also don't think they're that awesome for epics and difficult raids.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Thank you.

Max INT WF wizard/sorc with decent STR

High-Max WIS Cleric/FvS with decent STR

12/6/2 Fighter/Ranger/Monk, you can go the AA route, but for fast leveling, I'd just stick with melee, pulling the bow out now and again for manyshot. Fairly easy to get a decent AC with this build.

18/2 Paladin/monk or Paladin/rogue (AC with monk, UMD with Rogue)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Max INT WF wizard/sorc with decent STR

High-Max WIS Cleric/FvS with decent STR

12/6/2 Fighter/Ranger/Monk, you can go the AA route, but for fast leveling, I'd just stick with melee, pulling the bow out now and again for manyshot. Fairly easy to get a decent AC with this build.

18/2 Paladin/monk or Paladin/rogue (AC with monk, UMD with Rogue)
    I don't think paladin or paladin splashes are end-game viable. I want to get this toon to run hard raids and even epics after some gear grind.

I should have mentioned that I don't like WF so that's kind of out.

I have to see how well the caster/evoker cleric/FvS manage STR wise. Might be a good idea. Also, cleric would be easy to find groups for.

Good idea about the 12/6/2 build, was worried about leveling, but with dual-wielding melee leveling should be okay. Does that build have any self-healing other than pots, do you know? (it has 6 levels of ranger to begin with, is that enough?)

The fastest build to level would likely be a healer's build, for the simple reason that groups would be easier to find and fill.

since you want it to be a solo viable build I suggest you look into making a half-elf cleric with a barb dilettante. this would allow you the use of most weapons and increase your hit points significantly, without taking away from your healing abilities as a cleric.

you don't need to max wis, if you max str instead you'd be melee viable throughout the leveling and possibly at endgame. this would mean your spell points would suffer slightly, but not significantly. if you try to max wisdom while leveling, ability increases every 4 levels could give you 5 points of wisdom, enhancements 3 more, for a total of 8 points of wisdom. 8 points of wisdom = +87 sp at level 20. no big loss. just have enough wis for casting your level 9 spells (19 wis). take into account a +6 item, +2 wis tome etc etc, and u can essentially dump stat wis if only building for end game. for leveling with no items on the server I'd suggest starting with no less then 12, or you might run into some difficulties with casting spells early on.

Go with a max WIS cleric/FvS with a decent STR (early levels you'll just melee).

It's good to have a high WIS so your Destruction and Implosion and Command, and Hold and Soundburst spells work.

Don't dump CON either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

Human rogue 2 / wiz 18 Pale Master should cover all your bases; the lower levels are a bit rough, but hirelings are pretty cheap early on.

I like:

- WF wizard
    - Human FvS
    - Some form of Artificer

The first two need no explanation. I find Artificers rather easy to level up without any Twink Candy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heronous View Post
    The clam can not be ransacked.

Thank you everyone!

A couple of thoughts. I've leveled a fleshy wiz/rog for 8 levels... they are not solo able, they are not easy, in fact... that toon still gives me headaches. She's also my most resource (as in pp) intensive toon out of all of them. She's also a complete tool in groups because:
    1. groups want to run elites for XP, I couldn't do elite traps (even with gear increasing spot/search/DD)
    2. being 1 level behind as a wizard also turned out to be a bust in groups
    Switched her to pure wizard and left her to run with hirelings or groups.

My main toon on Orien is an artificer, she was such an easy ride to level, she's still an easy ride when she doesn't get snobbed in raid groups. I'd rather not play another one right now though.

I'm liking more and more the idea of a cleric or FvS caster/healer.

This build:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=199266

It only has 12 STR to begin with, is that going to be enough? I don't think lower than 18 WIS is a good idea for an end-game/raid-viable caster/healer tbh. Is a cleric build better since they don't have to waste points into CHA, unlike FvS who have to put some for SP and ability to cast up to level 9 spells?

I'll get to searching since FvS/cleric seems to be the way I'm leaning.
    The Helves Angel is amazing, probably not as a first build on a brand new server.

Quote Originally Posted by deahamlet View Post
    Thank you everyone!

A couple of thoughts. I've leveled a fleshy wiz/rog for 8 levels... they are not solo able, they are not easy, in fact... that toon still gives me headaches. She's also my most resource (as in pp) intensive toon out of all of them. She's also a complete tool in groups because:
    1. groups want to run elites for XP, I couldn't do elite traps (even with gear increasing spot/search/DD)
    2. being 1 level behind as a wizard also turned out to be a bust in groups
    Switched her to pure wizard and left her to run with hirelings or groups.
    No character should be unable to do traps (cept maybe fighter) if they are splashing rogue. Even on elite. Make sure you have or get the max search/spot item you can wear and the max disable device item you can wear. Check for +5 tools as well, or ask group members if they have any they'd spare.

My main toon on Orien is an artificer, she was such an easy ride to level, she's still an easy ride when she doesn't get snobbed in raid groups. I'd rather not play another one right now though.
    Arti is fun
    I'm liking more and more the idea of a cleric or FvS caster/healer.

This build:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=199266

It only has 12 STR to begin with, is that going to be enough? I don't think lower than 18 WIS is a good idea for an end-game/raid-viable caster/healer tbh. Is a cleric build better since they don't have to waste points into CHA, unlike FvS who have to put some for SP and ability to cast up to level 9 spells?

I'll get to searching since FvS/cleric seems to be the way I'm leaning.
    The Helves Angel is amazing, probably not as a first build on a brand new server.
    If you aren't familiar with Divine spells, cleric is better. But don't dump stat charisma. It does affect turns which can be effective and the number of aura/bursts you can fire wit Radiant Servant.
    Aeolwind (5/12) - 18 Sorc/1 Art | Melisandria - 20 Fighter SD | Anlona - 20 cleric RS

Ah well, too late for my little wizzie, I already changed her to pure. And no intention of starting a new wizard until she's actually level 20.
    I didn't have +5 tools, didn't even realize I could use them or I could have gotten some from my artificer who doesn't even know what to do with them anymore.

I am semi-familiar with divine spells, FvS is pretty much... not much wiggle room for evoker spell list. But cleric might be able to get away with 12 CHA and get 14 STR.

Also clerics get some extra perks like aura and healing from turns that FvS don't get.

Default Self healing

On a fleshy, is easy, it's called cleric dillitante although you do have to be a half elf with 13 wisdom for it. I did a build 18 wiz/2 rogue with cleric dilli and absolutely loved it for the self healing, lvl 15 fail on 1 only Heal scrolls is so great I won't do fvs dilli any more because they have a larger range of failure 1-3 if I remember right. So, it opens a lot of variety for self heals, and no fail cure wands helps too.
    Current TR project -- Anshel life 8 of 20 ending up FVS
    Side TR project -- Daciana (life 8 of 14 maybe)(Will be completionist druid)
    Khyber main server

Originally Posted by MeliCat:
    I don't like strawberry ice cream. You can offer all the strawberry ice cream that you like and I won't eat it. Offer me chocolate and I'll ask for second helpings.

I would have to say, wf sorc is one of the easiest things I've ever leveled, and easily useful at cap. Needs a bit of gear, but nothing that can't be bought off the auction house or farmed easily.

Beyond that, wizards are easy to level as well. Divines are also extremely easy to level. Any melee, however, takes gear to easily level.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Human/Elf/Drow Palemaster
    Warforged/Helf (paladin/fvs dilettante) Sorcerer
    Warforged Archmage (necro with minor in conj/enchantment maybe evo while leveling)
    Human Cleric with 14 charisma (along with usual stuff) to blast through undead while leveling with maximised, empowered, empower healed radiant servant blasts or turn undead (until you get blade barrier).

Ghengis Khan
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=242633

Advantages:
    Tomes are just gravy,
    Cheap to Equip
    Easy to Play
    Barbarian's movement speed = going through maps more quickly, which = fast leveling.
    Can be easily tweaked to have a decent haggle with self buffs. Nice for a first toon on a server.

Cons:
    Well, if you have your heart set on ranged this is not the build for you. You could tweak feats to be a decent thrower even though throwing weapons are pretty nerfy at the moment, or use your blue bar for range but close combat is your DPS.

Einstien
    http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...61&postcount=4

Advantages:
    Fairly easy to gear: One +2 tome is required to build it as listed, but you could shift points around to avoid that.
    Range DPS, with a puppy back up to add a bit of damage.
    A haggler and great crafter means that you can get wands, scrolls, and tougher gear more easily.

Cons:
    Solo-ability is decent possibly not as good as other builds. You may want to tweak feats to allow for construct essence early in the build, at least until you can no fail UMD heal scrolls. You were not big on playing another artificer.

Monk Archer:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=351118

Pros:
    It hangs on to many of the best things about Helves Angel, but the fact that you have the TWF in early game to fuel punches may make leveling prior to AA more fun.
    The one with 12 monk levels has improved evasion.
    You could easily fit in a very powerful stunning fist for the times where things get close.

Cons:
    Quite MAD plan on hunting for nice gear &/or Tomes
    You loose out on haggling and crafting bonus compared to the other builds I like so it may be a better second toon

Warpriest
    Here is an example of one http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=75
    I am working on one that took first level as barbarian, will take 6 as cleric, one fighter, then finish out with cleric.
    You get the extra fighter feat, and a bunch of nice click-able enhancements from the barb & fighter sides.

Pros:
    Easy to level
    Nice blue bar

Cons:
    It can lack the DC of a pure cleric.
    With Elf or half elf you could have a zen archer but it would not be a very impressive one compared to the monk/archer
    No haggling or crafting bonus could mean a bit of a gear grind
    Last edited by strath; 12-17-2011 at 12:24 AM.
    Poor grammar bad for you is, leads to the dark side it does.
    -Yoda's Book of Grammar This Is

Community Member

Cleric needs almost no resources to be viable end game. Though some may expect pots (maybe even needed for someone unfamiliar with healing end game)
    Cannith - Noehealz, Protectorjon, Noebuffs, Mortion

My vote is Helf Sorc with cleric dilly. Fire for leveling, switch to air or water around level 16.

Def easiest to level and super viable as a dps toon. Very little gearing and resources required.

Community Member

I soloed a sorcerer to 20 just fine. Even stuff like blown to bits elite and A New Invasion elite. Make sure you stop by the silver flame quests so you can get the pots.
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Community Member

WF sorc or wizard is a really good choice given your requirements. With an extra +4 con and reconstruct you are amazingly survivable and require the least amount of gear of any class to be effective.

WF sorc would be best IMO. Sorcs have the cheapest gear requirements for most of their leveling life, have the best room-clearing spells and the spell point pool to skip shrines if they feel like it. WF gives you full self healing as well.

Go fire savant until the vale or so, then switch to ice or air.
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lithic View Post
    WF sorc would be best IMO. Sorcs have the cheapest gear requirements for most of their leveling life, have the best room-clearing spells and the spell point pool to skip shrines if they feel like it. WF gives you full self healing as well.

Go fire savant until the vale or so, then switch to ice or air.
    On this...even when down to echoes, a sorc is amazing at clearing rooms. Also, I'm really enjoying acid so far, but I think I'll switch to cold with air as a secondary at cap (better for raiding and all).

In other words, I strongly agree that wf sorc is amazingly easy to level with little gear...while more gear still has a significant effect.
    Eternal Infinity: Wruntjunior ~ DI Sorc // Youngwrunt ~ Survivalist Paladin // Wruntarrow ~ Monkcher // Wruntsonmonk ~ Wis-Based Monk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast