Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 116
  1. #21
    OurDDO
    Flower Sniffer Extraordinaire
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Evennote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Love, love, LOVE this idea. I fall somewhere in the middle of "newbie" and "mentor," meaning I've got three capped toons and have done a fair number of epics and raids but still feel I have a lot to learn and in general wouldn't be comfortable leading any of them.

    This is such a great thing to see, as I've been noticing more and more elitism. I recently got turned down for a PUG and dissed simply because the party leader thinks that everyone in my guild is a crappy player (really, more than 200 people and they're ALL crappy?), and general chat is full of people making fun of newbies for asking the kind of questions that EVERY newbie asks. I would love to participate in this in any way I can.
    ~* Even's DDO blog | Players Helping Players | OurDDO main site | OurDDO RSS feed *~

    Getting lost, lagging behind, and wiping parties since 2010.

    Thelanis:
    Evennote
    | Acanthia | Jalliria | Victaurya
    Discordette | Merenwynne | Chalei | Seregeth
    Rivalel | Thangerie | Winnabette | Chartreusia
    Cannith: Tirae

  2. #22
    Community Member protokon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evennote View Post
    Love, love, LOVE this idea. I fall somewhere in the middle of "newbie" and "mentor," meaning I've got three capped toons and have done a fair number of epics and raids but still feel I have a lot to learn and in general wouldn't be comfortable leading any of them.

    This is such a great thing to see, as I've been noticing more and more elitism. I recently got turned down for a PUG and dissed simply because the party leader thinks that everyone in my guild is a crappy player (really, more than 200 people and they're ALL crappy?), and general chat is full of people making fun of newbies for asking the kind of questions that EVERY newbie asks. I would love to participate in this in any way I can.
    Unfortunately, there are a lot of players out there in your position. If your guild does a poor job at screening players, booting disruptive members, and/or has an open invite policy, it tends to lead to a very bad reputation with the end-game crowd. Although it sucks, you end up guilty by association.

    I am hoping to accomplish two main goals with this program: Help people like yourself, who are stuck in between being a competent player and not confident in leading, to get to the next level - and also help people find homes in the end-game community. Spending enough time networking with the endgame crowd may be enough to help you find social groups (chat channels, even a new guild) to better fit your playstyle if endgame raiding is what you truly enjoy. There is also those who are coming to learn how to lead, and plan on going back to their own guilds to better themselves as a group.

    Regardless of your intentions, I'm sure the program could help you reach whatever your goals are. The mentor guild is going to be gated and held accountable to certain standards (mostly common sense and common courtesy) to maintain a good image on the server, and in turn it makes it easier for people to get accepted into pugs that other high end guilds put together.

    However, regardless of skill level everyone is invited to sign up and attend our workshops and better themselves as raiders/players in general. I already have had a generous amount of mentors sign in ready to help out as well, so am looking forward to getting this rolling.
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

  3. #23
    The Hatchery Aurora1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    This is a good idea. Funnily though, Ive been on Thel now for about 8 months i guess, I never ran any raids with you proto.... dunno if you only use guild chat/ channels or if its a playtimes thing.

    Im sure your very capable though.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanvar View Post
    I believe my left thumb is Gimp. I think I need to reroll.
    DDO Acronyms: http://ddowiki.com/page/Glossary
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...78#post2326178

  4. #24

    Default

    You have never run into him... he must be new to raiding. Capable? Not the word I would use... Grumpy maybe.
    Khyber
    R e v e n a n t s Renowned
    Thelanis

  5. #25
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    343

    Default excellent idea

    i think this is a great thing. +1 to you

    i would love to help out, but the only thing i can offer is:
    i do listen and i try to follow instructions.

    so there is no way i could lead, but i will gladly follow and try to learn.
    if life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
    if life gives you pickles, well you're screwed. because pickleade sucks.

  6. #26
    Community Member protokon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora1979 View Post
    This is a good idea. Funnily though, Ive been on Thel now for about 8 months i guess, I never ran any raids with you proto.... dunno if you only use guild chat/ channels or if its a playtimes thing.

    Im sure your very capable though.
    I'm in full guild groups very often these days - and about 95% of the time when I do pug, it's less than 6 slots which end up getting filled quickly when I put the lfm up, since I also advertise in a few channels.

    You'll also see me throw up "free pulls" from epic claws from time to time, since I solo it daily for tokens.

    Quote Originally Posted by thouston View Post
    i think this is a great thing. +1 to you

    i would love to help out, but the only thing i can offer is:
    i do listen and i try to follow instructions.

    so there is no way i could lead, but i will gladly follow and try to learn.
    virtually everyone's welcome to join up - just hit up our homepage, register and click the link to request to joint he adepts members group. This week were in the process of getting everyone registered, theres an intro thread where you can introduce yourself to the other guys, plus a vent channel/chat channel setup for use as well.
    Last edited by protokon; 12-13-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

  7. #27
    Community Member Michaelaz2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Good idea by a good bunch of guys, just a idea , maybe teaching raid loot etiquette as well.
    * Michaelaz *Myfavwizzy * Medalert * Mikeaz * Kernall * Myfavsoul * MyOrc * Myfav * Myfavsorc *

  8. #28
    Founder Xyfiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    2,724

    Default

    I have not been in a raiding guild since IFV broke up 2 years ago. Been soloing or shortmanning TR's mostly since. I do not need mentoring in older raids(except tiles) or leveling process. I would like to join a raiding/epic guild or at least have access to join some groups to get more experienced. I can mentor the older stuff, but need taught the newer stuff. Would you classify that as mentor or mentoree?

    PS: Also plan to do a major inventory clean up during the holidays, anyone planning an event or some other give to newbs method soon?

  9. #29
    Community Member protokon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michaelaz2 View Post
    Good idea by a good bunch of guys, just a idea , maybe teaching raid loot etiquette as well.
    regarding named loot, I made a post on our forums regarding Inferus Sus' philosophy on raid loot (simply dubbed 'your loot is your loot, loot with a conscience'). I don't force anyone to follow any rules, but I did mention that selling raid loot is generally frowned upon.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xyfiel View Post
    I have not been in a raiding guild since IFV broke up 2 years ago. Been soloing or shortmanning TR's mostly since. I do not need mentoring in older raids(except tiles) or leveling process. I would like to join a raiding/epic guild or at least have access to join some groups to get more experienced. I can mentor the older stuff, but need taught the newer stuff. Would you classify that as mentor or mentoree?

    PS: Also plan to do a major inventory clean up during the holidays, anyone planning an event or some other give to newbs method soon?
    I'd definitely suggest that you sign up as a member on our site. If your looking for a large raiding guild, I'd actually suggest dropping an app in for Sus and test driving our runs to see if you like it and if you fit in. But I'll warn you - Sus doesn't chase down applicants, we are a pretty self-sustained guild and

    As far as the mentoring thing goes, your not obligated to run anything or learn things you already know - most work will be in the form of workshops, and I plan on beating down the cannith raids with our group once we get the ball rolling. Until then, were already scheduling things like abbot flagging and filling out guides on our forums for references.

    Also keep in mind, the Sus ventrilo is public, there is almost always at least 1 or 2 sus members online in it, more during the heavier hours.
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

  10. #30
    Community Member Ringos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,321

    Default

    Bah! Too much paperwork! :O


    Great idea, as this will most certainly help those of us without raiding guilds participate in raids. A 'Thank You' from a fellow community member!
    Ringos-JohnDenver-Lillis-Dacta-Erahn-CPants-Jhain : Silver Waffle

    "You assume that Clay is an ass because he's Legion..." Shyver

  11. #31
    DDOCast & Hero Theris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    635

    Default

    What a great idea! I'll make an announcement for you on DDOcast for Ep 243 this weekend!
    Thelanis: Anne|Annala|Torzion|Anastazie|Sprockettz|Theris

    DDOcast - A DDO Podcast for Fans by Fans! >> Google+ || Twitter || Facebook || iTunes || DDOcast RSS Feed || YouTube

  12. #32
    2014 DDO Players Council
    Rasczak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Collecting Soul Stones
    Posts
    2,343

    Default

    I've already started some training runs. I've begun with flagging of specific raids so we at least have you flagged before teaching you the raid so keep an eye out on the sus forums (or my my.ddo page) and if you need the help post there what you need help with. I don't lfm much for it since I get chancers who whine we're taking to long

    I will be running an abbot this weekend so keep an eye out if you want to learn or help teach.
    Don't let common sense stop you...
    Qualified Devil's Advocate ` Refugee Boldrei '06 / Keeper '09

  13. #33
    Community Member protokon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Theris View Post
    What a great idea! I'll make an announcement for you on DDOcast for Ep 243 this weekend!
    Awesome! appreciate the help! So far it's been very successful on signups - I think we are over 30 people total registered on our boards for the program (mixture of mentors and mentorees).

    I'm excited to hear this, thanks very much.
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

  14. #34
    Community Member Koshy11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    127

    Default

    +1!

    Sadly I don't have Vent...

    Leaving my guild is a no as well,

    So.. what's the private channel access info?
    No~ Stop! Don't ~Slow Down! Does not apply to Melee Class.
    Communication only works when People listen.
    Felline - Lyonne - Shandrine - Pingkie

  15. #35
    2015 DDO Players Council Ironforge_Clan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    2,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koshy11 View Post
    +1!

    Sadly I don't have Vent...

    Leaving my guild is a no as well,

    So.. what's the private channel access info?
    You can download ventrillo.

    I don't think anyone said you had to leave your guild.

    Check out the IS site for information on the channel and to download vent.
    Axebiter, Cujo, Runeforge, Runefury, Runegoth, Runehealer, Runehamer, Runehorde, Runenight, Runesongs, Runezephyr
    And the forgotten: Runeaura, Runedevourer, Herstinkie, Runewolf,
    Caught somewhere between casual player and power gamer.

  16. #36
    Community Member protokon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sandy, UT
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koshy11 View Post
    +1!

    Sadly I don't have Vent...

    Leaving my guild is a no as well,

    So.. what's the private channel access info?
    yep - most raid training sessions will be held as 'workshops' in vent and in game, and we will have a schedule going on the inferus website. no need to leave your current guild to do so. register on our site, and click the link on the homepage to be added to the adepts group to see our forums.
    Proud member of Renowned, Thelanis server.

  17. #37
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sarlona
    Posts
    2,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by protokon View Post
    Absolutely! I welcome other servers to start programs like this, the more help we can get the general pugging community across all servers, the better.

    Already in progress.


    Might pop in and check out your operation, as it seems pretty organized.


    Also, free bump.

  18. #38
    Community Member Quetzacoala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    775

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tobril View Post
    Already in progress.
    As in something like this may be coming to Sarlona? I cannot wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeafeningWhisper View Post
    I agree with the feathered marsupial.

  19. #39
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sarlona
    Posts
    2,456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzacoala View Post
    As in something like this may be coming to Sarlona? I cannot wait!

    Mild thread hijack...

    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=4208724


    Now back to your regularly scheduled program from Infernus Sus.

  20. #40

    Default

    Thanks for the clean up and keeping it on track U know who you are!

    Vinton's Place - DDO Game Guide V3.6.0 - 10/12/2011 - My DDO
    | Inferus Sus | Vinton Cerf | Kabraxis | Bubah Licious | Sanadil | Zanta | Ziamdis |

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload