Community Member

Default Super Slow Download times

Hey all,

My search fu sucks, so I apologize if there's another thread about this already. I'm downloading the Standard (not Hi Res) game, and my download speeds are horrid. I'd cap at around 650 Kbps, and would get so low as 100 Bps. It fluctuates largely, and fairly quickly. I know that the last time I downloaded the Standard game, it was not like this (that was back around U10 time).

Just so we're clear, it's not on my end. My speeds with everything else are fine, and I even contacted a friend on the other side of the country to see if he had this problem. He said that the last time he downloaded this game (a couple weeks ago), he had the same problem.

Is there something going on at Turbine? Is there some kind of setting we both could have had enabled/disabled that caused this? Any good ideas out there?

Thanks!

Are you using the silly pando media booster to download or downloading from fileplanet?

If it's from fileplanet, obviously Turbine has no control over it.

Of course, I've always wondered why Turbine doesn't serve DDO via Torrent as well.

Community Member

Pando Download accelerator really bites.... I have been downloading high res client for last 12 hours and its only 27% done. I got so frustrated, I downloaded wireshark to see why its taking so long. I downloaded wireshark in 1 sec (its 1.3 meg file). I am seeing lots of retransmissions and some resets. my speed has been as high as 750k and sometimes its 0.
    I'm Sleepy Damn it!
    and Hecati
    ... Anslem retired
    ... Myrcuria retired
    ... Erokese retired
    ... Napo retired
    ... Akila

Community Member

I am having the same horrible problem with Pando. Even worse I 'm downloading the high res client which doesn't appear available on file planet, or anywhere else I can find. Been downloading 2 days now and looks like I've got at least a few more... there goes my weekend of DDO on my new computer!

Community Member

Not quite as bad here, but it's very slow. Why not just put the high-res file on a download server?

I have had a similar problem. However, last Saturday/Sunday (December 3-4, i cant remember exactly) I downloaded and installed the game in under an hour in one house. Then, in a different house with a different computer, I have waited hours and i have not gone past 46%. Anyone know if a setting that the two computers may differ in may be causing this slowness?

Thanks you.

Community Member

I am not sure, I remote connected to my office computer and started the download there too and both of mine are at 40% ... mine has not even gone up 1% since I woke up this morning (3 hours ago)

I would like to add, I did not have any problems at all with the standard client.

Glad i'm not the only one. came here to ask if there was anything i could do about this horrible download speed. got a new computer and started downloading last night (late) and today i'm only at 36%. It keeps hanging up on "calculating time remaining". If anyone knows of anything to be done...
    Thelanis: Rogosh, Dhragkar, Dhrakian, Meridion, Maherellen.

Community Member

So after 12 hours of downloading the standard ddo, and still being only 43% done, I dove around the FAQs. Discovered you could download the game in Zip format, not using Pando Media Booster, so gave that a try about half an hour ago. Halfway done already.

If you're just trying to get the normal version of the game, not the Hi Res version, I highly recommend just using the Zip download (it's the Fileplanet option under the Hi Res option).

Same problem. After not getting any helpful advice for getting a download that would append the high res files to the low res version of ddo, I went ahead and started downloading the full ~6gb of the High Res (via PMB/POS) .

I've been downloading it since 12:00am last night and it's only at 42%. I don't understand why turbine is still using this awful software and doesn't instead find a better alternative (if anything get the HighRes version hosted on fileplanet).

I also used the FAQ for troubleshooting the issue, but to no avail. I have changed the DNS, checked firewall, checked all inbound/outbound connections, and I have no "download accelerator". Maybe you guys should update the FAQ since it is a year old.

Found this on PMB website. Hilarious considering the amount of threads/posts about how much of a waste of time it is.

Customers Say...

"Not only did we see an increase in download speeds and completion rates, the Pando downloader demonstrated that it would significantly reduce Turbine’s content delivery costs by utilizing a state-of-the-art peer-to-peer download technology.
    Last edited by zombieaon; 12-10-2011 at 03:00 PM.
    ~zombi/zombiaeon/zombqi~
    Gods & Generals

OK...now I tried using the Fileplanet download, but when i go to install it, i get the "Runtime Error (at 39:363)... Access violation at 00418107"
    Anyone know the solution to this, too? Also, why is it that the only people posting here are those asking questions? Can't anyone answer us?

By the way, I have already looked up the error, and could not find a solution.

Please, help us!

Quote Originally Posted by waterboytkd View Post
    So after 12 hours of downloading the standard ddo, and still being only 43% done, I dove around the FAQs. Discovered you could download the game in Zip format, not using Pando Media Booster, so gave that a try about half an hour ago. Halfway done already.

If you're just trying to get the normal version of the game, not the Hi Res version, I highly recommend just using the Zip download (it's the Fileplanet option under the Hi Res option).
    same problem stuck at 43% and 0 bps speed since then, near 24 hours now.
    What's the recommended solution to this?
    (And that's just standard resolution...)

Default still the case in 2014 with Akamai...

Hi all,

I know that's real thread necro... but the problem still exists now that they're using Akamai for the download.

I didn't want happy cloud, to I went with the traditional low-res version..... wow... started early 2 days ago, andin 2 days, I barely got 1.3GB done. Something I would usually download in approx. 30 minutes.

I have connection monitoring, and it shows a barely functionnal 200 to 300 Bps (yes, Bytes per second, not even kilo). I normally download at max speed of my DSL line (20 MBits/s, so approx. 2MB/s) opn pretty much anything else. I tried pausing and restarting, etc.... this is a real pain.

If netsession is nto able to deliver at event half decent speed for a low-res client download, why even bother with it in the 1st place?

God... I so wish they would listen to reason and have at least a torrent version to get the client!!