Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Post MAX DPS ROGUE build(assassin 3 str build/guide)

EDIT: As of U19, building a melee for dps isn't viable in EE content. Self healing ranged dps builds are king now. I highly recommend playing a Monkcher or a Shiradi Caster. For this reason, I'm not updating this thread any more. Do not build this rogue if you wish to run EE content.

INTRO:
    This will be a guide to building a 'max' dps rogue. Rogues are one of the top dps dealers in DDO, but they are also hard to level up. Also note rogues get lots of player hate. Most see them as 'trapmonkeys' or 'no dps squishies".
    NOTE: This build shines with the Rogue: Pastlife Feat(+5 to hit/+10 SA dmg)
    *Basically an assassin 3 Str rogue*

RACE:
    Half Orc (+4 Str, power attack enhance, more action boosts)
    *Pure rogue level 25*

ALIGNMENT:
    True Neutral

STATS:
    (32 point build)
    Str 20
    Dex 16
    Con 14
    Int 6
    Wis 8
    Cha 6

NOTE: Raise Con if 34-36 point build.

STAT LEVEL-UPS:
    2-Dex
    4-Str

STAT ANALYSIS:
    Int: - You may say HA! You gimp! In reality you don't need Int. With easily obtainable gear, you can get any epic traps.

FEATS:
    1 - Two Weapon Fighting
    2 - Improved Two Weapon Fighting
    3 - Greater Two Weapon Fighting
    4 - Power Attack
    5 - Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    6 - Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh
    7 -Past Life: Sneak of Shadows (toughness if not rogue pastlife)
    ROGUE FEATS:
    1 - Opportunist
    2 - Slippery Mind or Skill Mastery
    3 - Improved Evasion
    4 - Skill Mastery

NOTE: The feats listed above aren't in order, simply choose the ones you can at level. TWF and Power Attack are usually the first ones.

FEAT ANALYSIS:
    As a rogue your primary role is killing enemies. All the feats are to increase DPS or survivability. I'm only going to talk about a few since most are self-explanatory.
    Exotic Weapons Prof: For khopesh, highest twf dps weapon in the game.
    Past Life: SoS: Adds +5 to hit/+10 dmg to Sneak Attacks.
    Opportunist: 3% doublestrike and 10% fort pen.

ENHANCEMENTS:
    Assassin 3 Pre Reqs:
    • Improved Hide 2
    • Improved Move Silenty 2
    • SA Accuracy 4
    • SA Training 4
    • Subtle Backstabbing 1
    • Rogue Damage Boost 2

ALL ENHANCEMENTS:
    • Improved Hide 2
    • Improved Move Silenty 2
    • SA Accuracy 4
    • SA Training 4
    • Subtle Backstabbing 1(Shadowdancer provides a free -20% hate Gen)
    • Rogue Damage Boost 2
    • Rogue Haste Boost 4
    • Rogue Deadly Shadow(capstone, 4d6 SA damage/+2 int)
    • Orcish Extra Action Boost 3
    • Orcish Power Attack 3
    • Orcish Strength 2
    • Rogue Assassin 3

NOTE: Rest are up to you, do you need more search? more dex? more hp? ETC.
    Basically go for the dps enhancements and assassin pre reqs, rest are up to you!

SKILLS:
    • Disable Device
    • Open Lock
    • Search
    • UMD

Rest are up to you.(I go for jump, balance and concentration)

GEAR:
    NOTE: This gear layout is the most optimal set up for Str rogues. The grind needed to obtain this list is minor.
    • Helm: Helm of the Black Dragon (Insightful Str +3)
    • Necklace: Pendant of the Stormreaver
    • Bauble: Planar Focus of Prowess (+8 Str)
    • Cloak: Min 2 Green Steel
    • Belt: Colethenis's Belt
    • Ring 1: Ring of the Ravager (Healing amp 20%)
    • Ring 2: Seal of House Avithoul (Wisdom +7)
    • Gloves: Nether Grasps
    • Boots: Treads of Falling Shadow
    • Bracers: Bracers of Twisting Shade
    • Armor: Flawless Black Dragonscale Robe
    • Goggles: Dream Visor

WEAPONS:
    • 2x lit 2 khopesh's
    • 2x Celestia's (or) Appropriate DR breakers
    • 2x Royal Scimitar's

I advise you to start with Epic Hard versions first. Epic Elite items can be a pain to obtain.

GEAR NOTES:
    • You'll need a UMD item.
    • No swapping trap gear
    • 1 blue slot, 1 green slot, 3 yellow slot's
    • Enough augment slots to slot +35 hp, luck +2, con +7, insightful con +2 and all + 30 resists (Draconic Soul Gem)
    • Blackscale allows the user to permanently use Power Attack against 50% fort mobs instead of using Precision.

BUFFED STATS:
    STR: You can easily attain 42 Str unbuffed with this build. We'll go off that for buffing.
    +2 yugo
    +2 ddo
    +2 guild
    +6 titans grip
    +2 madstone
    +2 double madstone
    +5 primal scream
    +4 tensers transformation

ADDITIONAL NOTES:
    • This build has a passive 50% fort pen.
    • This build will average 300+ dmg a swing assuming off-hand procs, 0% fort and you don't have enemies aggro.
    • Dont forget to use scrolls! Heal, GH, Tensers Transformation ETC.

EPIC LEVELS:
    As you make your progress to 28 you'll get 3 feats(one at 21, 24, and 27) and gain Epic Skills(+1 to all skills) at each level.

MAX DPS BUILD:
    Focuses on doing max dmg possible, relying mostly on Sneak Attack.

STATS:
    Str 20
    Dex 16
    Con 14
    Int 6
    Wis 8
    Cha 6

STAT LEVEL-UPS:
    2-Dex
    4-Str

EPIC FEATS:
    • 1x Improved Sneak Attack (additional 3d6 sneak attack damage)
    • 1x Precision (25% fort pen)
    • 1x Toughness

EPIC DESTINY:

NOTE:
    • This ED allows you to gain:
    • 6d6 SA dmg
    • +6 to trap skills
    • +6 to-hit via flanking
    • +2 balance and jump
    • +1 to all skills
    • +6 reflex save and AC
    • 15% fort pen and 3% dodge
    • Various clickies that add more base dmg, crits and weapon effects.

TWIST OF FATE:
    • 'Reign'. 11d20 sonic and electric dmg on comfirmed vorpal crit song (teir 3 twist)-Fatesinger
    • 'Extra Action Boost' 3 more haste boosts (teir 1 twist)-Legendary Dreadnaught

AVERAGE DAMAGE NUMBERS:

NOTE: Using Lit 2 Green Steel khopeshs. Buffs that affect damage: Ship buffs, madstone rage(1), Pastlife:SOS(+10 SA damage).

NOTE: Using Celestias(no force ritual). Buffs that affect damage: Ship buffs, rage, Pastlife:SOS(+10 SA damage).

END NOTE:
    As you can see above. With minimal buffs, well built rogues can put out 300+ damage a swing(base damage and sneak attack damage only) with off-hand procs.
    Last edited by Rogann; 01-30-2014 at 08:47 PM.

solid build, good advice, but for max dps,
    i guess you should consider going human/halfelf aswell.

You'll be able to take both the PL and toughness which is nice, but the dps thing is
    being able to take human versatility line for a damage boost that can be activated simultaneously
    with your haste boost and increases both attack damage and your SA damage.

You loose the PA enhancements and some str, but a +25% boost on all your damage makes up for that :-p
    Triumore - Triu - Broktar
    Mitis Mors

Quote Originally Posted by .Revenga. View Post
    solid build, good advice, but for max dps,
    i guess you should consider going human/halfelf aswell.

You'll be able to take both the PL and toughness which is nice, but the dps thing is
    being able to take human versatility line for a damage boost that can be activated simultaneously
    with your haste boost and increases both attack damage and your SA damage.

You loose the PA enhancements and some str, but a +25% boost on all your damage makes up for that :-p
    This. Human or half elf would mean more damage, and more utility. I'd consider human since the extra feat is quite damn useful on a rogue.
    Active
    EU player since release, US player since the summer of 2009.

Human or Helf because of racial Damage boost? I have not run the numbers, but it's probably not very far behind, if ever, on burst dps. (*Edit: beaten on that one )
    Horcs are more or less on par with halflings on dps: Guile III (there's no easy way to get IV on a pure rogue) adds +6 SA damage, while horcs get up to +6 Str, +3 from improved PA. The main difference is +4 to-hit in favor of halflings (Cunning III and +1 racial), but more action boosts for horcs so: a better burst dps for horcs, but a better for halflings when all haste boosts have run out. Both would be better than humans/helves in this situation.
    Maybe I forgot something though, it's a bit late
    Thelanis: Nassim* (F12/P6/M2) - Talienor** (P18/Ra2) - Feithlin** (F12/Bd7/C1) - Stoneoak* (F12/M6/P2) - Hokusai (M17/F2/C1) - Ardence* (Bd15/F3/Ro2) - Matsushiro* (Ro11/M6/P3) | Argonessen: Luneargent (W18/Ro2) - Talienor (Ro20) - Takshir (Bd16/F2/Ro2) - Hiacynthe (C20) | Ghallanda: A bunch of pre DDO Unlimited characters (field of testing for post U19 )

Crippling Strike is largely useless in endgame content.

I wouldn't take Rogue Dex, or Improved Search, but rather enhancing the versatility of the build, taking either of Wrack Construct or Wand & Scroll Mastery.

Speaking of Versatility: What's your UMD projection?

It's a pain that you have to pick three from Khopesh/PL:SoS/Toughness. Mentioning Completionist is silly, as you are already too tight on feats.

Skills: As you said yourself: A dead rogue deals no damage. How much damage does a knocked-down rogue deal? I suggest to invest in balance, at least after reading a +2 tome.

Where do you slot the guild HP item? Did you check if there is room for all the Slots you mentioned?

Str-based, Horc does more damage than Halfling. Check A-Os DPS calc for more details.

You mentioned that Epic traps are doable even with 6 starting int. This might be true. What about traps while leveling? Will this build require having another trapmonkey in group if you want to run elite monastery?

Imho, this build is doable, but sacrifices too much for improving one aspect of rogue which is already a strong one. I wouldn't play this over a Max-Str Halfling with moderate other stats and room for GS items and a standing 38 UMD.
    Note that my Halfling ends up with less DPS, but more HP, namely 447 when ship-buffed (excluding rage, madstone etc.).
    Last edited by karl_k0ch; 11-30-2011 at 03:28 AM.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by karl_k0ch View Post
    Crippling Strike is largely useless in endgame content.

I wouldn't take Rogue Dex, or Improved Search, but rather enhancing the versatility of the build, taking either of Wrack Construct or Wand & Scroll Mastery.

Speaking of Versatility: What's your UMD projection?

It's a pain that you have to pick three from Khopesh/PL:SoS/Toughness. Mentioning Completionist is silly, as you are already too tight on feats.

Skills: As you said yourself: A dead rogue deals no damage. How much damage does a knocked-down rogue deal? I suggest to invest in balance, at least after reading a +2 tome.

Where do you slot the guild HP item? Did you check if there is room for all the Slots you mentioned?

Str-based, Horc does more damage than Halfling. Check A-Os DPS calc for more details.

You mentioned that Epic traps are doable even with 6 starting int. This might be true. What about traps while leveling? Will this build require having another trapmonkey in group if you want to run elite monastery?

Imho, this build is doable, but sacrifices too much for improving one aspect of rogue which is already a strong one. I wouldn't play this over a Max-Str Halfling with moderate other stats and room for GS items and a standing 38 UMD.
    Note that my Halfling ends up with less DPS, but more HP, namely 447 when ship-buffed (excluding rage, madstone etc.).
    I personally only took dex to get an even #(i ate +3 supreme tome) hmm my unbuffed umd is 30, 95%-100% on a heal scroll depending on buffs/skill boosts and yes it may be silly but hey, gotta see max str for a rogue.

With max gear/tokens i can only put out 420 unbuffed(note the epic kronzek's cruelty gains you 40 hp, only thing i can do atm) will put me at 460 unbuffed which i am going for atm.

This build is purely endgame, i could care less about lvling up.(can get to a 62 search and like 57 disable i beleive at 20)

Considering im at 440 with only a ship buff(same buff as you, 7hp<more dps)id rather take my build.
    Last edited by Rogann; 11-30-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Community Member

If you have the gear to support the to-hit loss, swap khopesh proficiency for quick draw and laugh at the penalty
    Kmnh * Kmn * Kmm * Knn * Knm

Leader of Templar

Thanks to all the advice, didnt know you could have two boosts going at the same time(helf or human, goes to show ya ive never played human heh) plus forgot about the extra human feat(toughness), and eventually when i get the duel epic kronzeks i will be able to have 2 toughnesses putting me over 600 hp buffed. Its a shame i cant tr again, im not wasteing 6 +3 tomes hehe.
    Gonna have to talk to a fellow bud about human rogues, since he was one for 2 lifes.
    Last edited by Rogann; 11-30-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

I'd definitely drop strength to 18 and increase intelligence to 12. That is +1 attack/+1 damage you're missing but for it you get a bunch of extra skill points, much easier time on traps while leveling and in epics and +3 assassinate DC.

I really don't see the point in building a pure rogue of any kind without trying for at least a decent assassinate DC, it is just such a powerful ability now that it works in epics.

I think that toughness is required on a rogue. I don't see that you will ever have enough HP without it. This is unfortunately the cost of being a half-orc pure rogue in that you can't fit in everything that you want. Human becomes quite interesting when you can take SoS and Khopesh and the DPS doesn't suffer much as you can combine versatility: damage and haste boost for some brutal burst DPS (but it suffers in the new longer raids obviously).

Rogues are very useful in the main raid with high fortification on the boss - LoB - due to a very important ability: Wrack Construct which I notice that you've skipped in your enhancements. This ability by itself will make any rogue a welcome addition to any epic lob group.

Main weapon of choice is usually radiance for the blindness proc which gives you sneak attacks. Much more DPS than litII's usually.

Int builds are perfectly viable. For instance, if you did the same gear and tome load out on a human with 16 starting strength and 16 starting intelligence with level ups into intelligence then you end up with enough assassinate DC to instant kill better than most completionist palemasters and can still have enough strength (with relevant boosts) to only lose a few points of % off your raid DPS (as most rogue DPS comes from sneak attacks anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    I'd definitely drop strength to 18 and increase intelligence to 12. That is +1 attack/+1 damage you're missing but for it you get a bunch of extra skill points, much easier time on traps while leveling and in epics and +3 assassinate DC.

I really don't see the point in building a pure rogue of any kind without trying for at least a decent assassinate DC, it is just such a powerful ability now that it works in epics.

I think that toughness is required on a rogue. I don't see that you will ever have enough HP without it. This is unfortunately the cost of being a half-orc pure rogue in that you can't fit in everything that you want. Human becomes quite interesting when you can take SoS and Khopesh and the DPS doesn't suffer much as you can combine versatility: damage and haste boost for some brutal burst DPS (but it suffers in the new longer raids obviously).

Rogues are very useful in the main raid with high fortification on the boss - LoB - due to a very important ability: Wrack Construct which I notice that you've skipped in your enhancements. This ability by itself will make any rogue a welcome addition to any epic lob group.

Main weapon of choice is usually radiance for the blindness proc which gives you sneak attacks. Much more DPS than litII's usually.

Int builds are perfectly viable. For instance, if you did the same gear and tome load out on a human with 16 starting strength and 16 starting intelligence with level ups into intelligence then you end up with enough assassinate DC to instant kill better than most completionist palemasters and can still have enough strength (with relevant boosts) to only lose a few points of % off your raid DPS (as most rogue DPS comes from sneak attacks anyway).

ugh, don't start about int-rogues in a max dps thread please. Assasinate is a utility that is massivly overshadowed by arcanes and does nothing to improve dps when it's needed: on red/purple names. Trash is trash, no one cares about it.

To OP: the changes for the damage boost making it useful came live with U11, so rather recently.
    Last edited by .Revenga.; 11-30-2011 at 04:43 AM.
    Triumore - Triu - Broktar
    Mitis Mors

Re: Helf vs. Human.

I do not see great advantages of going Helf on a pure Khopesh Rogue. The dillys are nice; in particular Barb, Pally and Monk, but the latter two require some stat investment. But nice is not enough when Human is the only race which allows Toughness, PA, Khopesh Proficiency and SoS. (Yes, the Proficiency can be dropped eventually.)
    The extra skill point is just icing on the cake.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

max dps a rogue can do is with human damage boost IV turned on at the same time as haste boost IV. yes, horc will surpass it eventually, but he has quite some catching up to do first when the boosts run out.

that said, this build can work pretty well. gonna be a bit rough if leveling on elite because of the traps, but shouldn't have any problems with traps at the endgame if buffed properly.

litany provides profane bonus to abillities, same as abi set, so +4 str/con tome and litany wouldn't mean much.

420 unbuffed hp is low. and that's with 32 con, which i don't see.

15base +3tome +7item +3abi +1exc +2exc = 31. where do you get one more?

i would drop one or two abi pieces and get gs hp. 400 hp cant even get you into shroud these days
    Jesus saves. Everyone else rounds to nearest 5%.

Sarlona: Nafaka[Rogue] Nandu[Monk] Neotheny[Wizard]
    Bullet Fist Tony My rogue's build

Quote Originally Posted by destiny4405 View Post
    max dps a rogue can do is with human damage boost IV turned on at the same time as haste boost IV. yes, horc will surpass it eventually, but he has quite some catching up to do first when the boosts run out.

that said, this build can work pretty well. gonna be a bit rough if leveling on elite because of the traps, but shouldn't have any problems with traps at the endgame if buffed properly.

litany provides profane bonus to abillities, same as abi set, so +4 str/con tome and litany wouldn't mean much.

420 unbuffed hp is low. and that's with 32 con, which i don't see.

15base +3tome +7item +3abi +1exc +2exc = 31. where do you get one more?

i would drop one or two abi pieces and get gs hp. 400 hp cant even get you into shroud these days
    Hmm well 32 con with toughness and gfl. I personally went 16 con base and ate a +3 con tome. And it's me Gimpforlife from good old Sarlona hehe

Oh, it's a bit to late for me to get GS, I'd only gain 15hp at the loss of the helm and bracers resulting in a total waste of epic tokens.
    Last edited by Rogann; 11-30-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Human.

Community Member
    At Turbine HQ suggesting what to nerf next.

Go tharnes with litany, craft hp item on necklace, and use the new epic ring of stalker. You net 25 hp, 5 more sneak dmg, seeker 6, manslayer (not sure if this stacks with assassin 3 vorpal effect on humanoids), 2 slots (0 really cause you lose gem and need to slot +6 wis to replace tod ring), +1 profane dmg, and a shroud tier 3 effect (radiance maybe?). You lose = 1 fort save, +2 wisdom, +3 to hit (when you have aggro, this cancels with the ring when you dont have aggro), +3 reflex.

These are just my suggestions. Gl with the build.
    Teth - Revenants

Babysittin Francine so he dont die 24/7. I used to be good at this game.

Quote Originally Posted by .Revenga. View Post
    ugh, don't start about int-rogues in a max dps thread please. Assasinate is a utility that is massivly overshadowed by arcanes and does nothing to improve dps when it's needed: on red/purple names. Trash is trash, no one cares about it.

To OP: the changes for the damage boost making it useful came live with U11, so rather recently.
    LOL

well, while you are busy beating down devils and orothons in say, eDA, an int based assassin is one-shoting them, and often two at a time. All while still doing 80% or so the dps this build offers up on bosses and 100% fort mobs. Figure that into your DPS calculator and the int based comes out WAY ahead. I think the int based is much more fun to play. A build like this is better done and will get better results by going fighter or barb, IMO, because this build just seems to play out more like a front line fighter instead of the classic sneaky role of a rogue, which for me is the whole point of going rogue!
    Last edited by Mellkor; 11-30-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    Cully Clonk, Culpepper Cleric, Culpeppa PvP spec Cleric, Azygoz Clogue
    Coyle evoker FvS, Ungoliant, Assassin, Angainor, WF Lord of Blades FvS
    Mellkor Wizard, Ferrari WF Sorc, ***Argonnessen*** ~~Ascent~~

Quote Originally Posted by Mellkor View Post
    well, while you are busy beating down devils and orothons in say, eDA, an int based assassin is one-shoting them, and often two at a time.
    That's .Revenga.'s point, I suppose. If there are melees on the trash, the Arcanes are Doing it Wrong™. Under optimal conditions, that is.

Yeah mine is going to be human as well, plus having such a low int doesn't scream traps to me it screams my assassinate dc!(which owns when it's high enough)

A str rogue with a good intel/assasinate is very achievable
    Last edited by Miow; 11-30-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogann View Post
    With max gear/tokens i can only put out 420 unbuffed(note the epic kronzek's cruelty gains you 40 hp, only thing i can do atm) will put me at 460 unbuffed which i am going for atm.
    Please note that Rogues are not proficient with Scimitars. (Unless they are Elves, or Helves with the fighter dilly.) So you will either have the same penalty as with Khopeshes, or it will cost you another feat.

The Hatchery

To-hit is not an issue for rogues. Not only can BAB be artificially increased, rogues are the most likely to be flanking, most likely to have the bonus from Tharne's, have +4 to SA accuracy from enhancements, and SoS is another +5 when active. I can hit epic Turigalon and Malicia on a 2 at the beginning of my attack sequence, without Destruction or sunder, and with PA and oversized penalty.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast