Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    454

    Default concerning tr'ing

    ok so ive looked into tr'ing and it seems its somthing i would like to do. the problem i have is im not sure of what charcater is best to tr into another. at present im a human tempest ranger and i would like to finish as a human tempest ranger(one day in the distant future im sure the devs will love these again). i understand that you are only allowed 3 levels of each class but im unsure as to what class i should do next for what benifits. is there a optimum progresion line i should follow or is it a case of just mix and match as the end result would be the same anyway?.i would like to stay human with each class just for my own personal satisfaction(im sure other races would add benifits)but being new to the game still unsure what most of these would be.i would like to stay 2 weapon fighter all the way as ive invested in this with greensteel and cannith crafting and besides twf looks much cooler than a single(well to me anyway).in other words im lost and if possible would some kind soul out there give me a possible tr line to follow and explain the benifits of said progression. i know this is a lot to ask but hey my fingers are crossed. thankyou for reading my waffle.

    your friend sil

  2. #2
    Hero Nahual's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Guatemala
    Posts
    798

    Default

    Well obviously any other melee would benefit if you already have the weapons. Dont go tring into a caster with no caster items.

    But to better answer what are you trying to achieve with the trs? Do you want more dps More hps for your final build? Since the passive and some active feats will be what you will gain. How many trs do you plan to do?

    For dps every monk life you gain 1 damage (max 3)
    Fod every fighter youll gain +1 to attack and DC for combat feats (max 3)

    So really depends on what you want. If you want more sp you could go sorc or
    favored soul.

    Or are you going for completionist?
    Kasik ~20 Rogue~ Fui 18/2 brb/ftr ~ Emmeryl 20 Clr Hilcias 20 Sorc
    Cool kids play on Mabar!

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    454

    Default

    nahual thanks for your reply and i see from you answer i really havent given the question on tr'ing as much thought as i should have. as to what i want the quick answer is i want better saves, better dps and better hp. completionist is somthing i have thought about but to be honest the idea of playing a monk doesnt thrill me at all. i know i might get some flack for this but to me monks arn't really d&d, to me d&d is swords and magic.the idea of playing a arti is the same for monk for me there to mechanical(cant stress enough just personal opinion and not ment as a slight on anyone who plays said characters). the ones i would be interested in playing are as follows ranger,cleric,wizard,scorcerer,fighter, barbarian.rogue and paladin oh and bard(phew nearly forgot them)
    i understand that id have to put my swords mostly away to play the magic types well sorcerer and wizard but in my favour im nearly at 100 in each school for cannith crafting and theres always greensteel to help there to. its really a progression line im more interested in than anything else is there a optimium one or will the end results be the same no matter which way i choose to go? is there a easyier path to follow? for instance by following wizard with sorcerer is this better than wizard to barbarian for instance?. anyway im waffling again for which i appologise, to many questions always to many questions lol enough for now more thought needed but thx for your answer.

    your friend sil

  4. #4
    Community Member Wildseed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by silinteresting View Post
    nahual thanks for your reply and i see from you answer i really havent given the question on tr'ing as much thought as i should have. as to what i want the quick answer is i want better saves, better dps and better hp. completionist is somthing i have thought about but to be honest the idea of playing a monk doesnt thrill me at all. i know i might get some flack for this but to me monks arn't really d&d, to me d&d is swords and magic.the idea of playing a arti is the same for monk for me there to mechanical(cant stress enough just personal opinion and not ment as a slight on anyone who plays said characters). the ones i would be interested in playing are as follows ranger,cleric,wizard,scorcerer,fighter, barbarian.rogue and paladin oh and bard(phew nearly forgot them)
    i understand that id have to put my swords mostly away to play the magic types well sorcerer and wizard but in my favour im nearly at 100 in each school for cannith crafting and theres always greensteel to help there to. its really a progression line im more interested in than anything else is there a optimium one or will the end results be the same no matter which way i choose to go? is there a easyier path to follow? for instance by following wizard with sorcerer is this better than wizard to barbarian for instance?. anyway im waffling again for which i appologise, to many questions always to many questions lol enough for now more thought needed but thx for your answer.

    your friend sil
    Well keeping with what you want, monk(which you don't think you'll like), fighter, rogue and barbarian seem like your choices. now you do know you don't have to 'Play" like a monk if you don't want to, all you have to do is take 8/6/6 monk/ranger/paladin or the like... this is just a random suggestion of what you could do to get through something you don't like for dps Rogue past life adds sneak attack, monk adds plus 1 dmg rolls, fighter adds plus 1 to attack rolls and barbarian past life adds 10 hitpoints! So, it's your decision, for me when I get to my monk life I'm gonna explore one of those 12 monk builds with paladin and rogue because I might wanna keep my swords handy, it is a choice what you use to fight with, you don't have to be a monk with fists you can be a monk with swords, you can even make a longsword a ki weapon (I did this on my fvs monk just for the heck of it LOL) for me I'm planning to use khopeshes on my monk, whenever and wherever I want because my TR chick's weapons of choice are khopeshes. I might change my mind cause I actually like punchin stuff, but it's up to you what weapons you use.
    Current TR project -- Anshel life 8 of 20 ending up FVS
    Side TR project -- Daciana (life 8 of 14 maybe)(Will be completionist druid)
    Khyber main server

    Originally Posted by MeliCat:
    I don't like strawberry ice cream. You can offer all the strawberry ice cream that you like and I won't eat it. Offer me chocolate and I'll ask for second helpings.

  5. #5
    Community Member Wildseed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    465

    Default something else occurred to me

    Well if you're wanting DPS or saves you definitely don't want fvs past life feat because that is spell pen, as is wizard past life feat, and sorc past life feat is also magic related, and bard. Now ranger is +2 damage with ranged weapons and +2 to elemental resistances. So, if you're going ranged again, that might be another good one, since past life feats can be stacked 3 times.
    Current TR project -- Anshel life 8 of 20 ending up FVS
    Side TR project -- Daciana (life 8 of 14 maybe)(Will be completionist druid)
    Khyber main server

    Originally Posted by MeliCat:
    I don't like strawberry ice cream. You can offer all the strawberry ice cream that you like and I won't eat it. Offer me chocolate and I'll ask for second helpings.

  6. #6
    Community Member brian14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    4,893

    Default

    I played an Arcane Archer for two years, and really like it. After much consideration I decided there is no better Past Life feat for a ranger than Rogue. So her second life is more Rogue than anything else -- but not by much Due to my playstyle and in order to make best use of Past Life Ranger feat and accumulated gear, she will be Rgr 6/ Clr 6/ Rog 8. Terrible in endgame, but she will TR as soon as she reaches 20, so that does not matter.

    Third life will be pure Arcane Archer again.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

    "Of course it is. Are YOU going to question beholder's artistic sense?"

  7. #7
    Community Member Thrudh's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    17,004

    Default

    Completionist is something only the most hard-core powergamers will ever achieve...

    TRing gives minor bonuses to your character, and it can be fun to run through the levels again...

    Each past life gives you some passive bonuses for free based on what class you were before... (If you were a 12/8 fighter/rogue, then your past life was fighter).

    You can also purchase a special past-life feat (using one of your feat slots).


    Most people only TR once or twice... after that you get very little benefit until you achieve completionist... This is because you max out at 36 build points after 2 TRs, and you really can't slot more than 1-2 past-life feats anyway.

    All you get after double TR is all the passive past life feats, which are fairly minor.

    You are currently a tempest ranger... Looking at ddowiki.com

    http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats

    Passive free feat: You'll get +2 damage to all ranged attacks, and +2 stacking resistance to all elements (that resistance is actually pretty useful in the low levels)

    If you want to spend a feat slot, you could get a 3/rest Barkskin spell... That barkskin feat is pretty worthless if you're going to be ranger again (since you get the spell), but could very nice if you were going to be an AC fighter, paladin, monk, etc.

    If your goal is to end up a tempest ranger again, I'd probably grab go paladin next. Their passive feat is 5% heal amp, and their active feat is VERY nice for a melee... You can use the Divine Favor spell and get +3 to hit/+3 damage.

    I'd probably go paladin next life, and then right back to tempest ranger, and that's about it.

    Note that you need a LOT of experience to level a TR, and even more for a double-TR and beyond. Don't do it lightly...

    It's a lot easier if you have some good raid loot from your first life... Greensteel weapons from the Shroud have a min level of 12... Very nice to pull those out of the bank at level 12 and use them in Gianthold, etc.

    Good luck to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

  8. #8
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thrudh View Post
    Completionist is something only the most hard-core powergamers will ever achieve...

    TRing gives minor bonuses to your character, and it can be fun to run through the levels again...

    Each past life gives you some passive bonuses for free based on what class you were before... (If you were a 12/8 fighter/rogue, then your past life was fighter).

    You can also purchase a special past-life feat (using one of your feat slots).


    Most people only TR once or twice... after that you get very little benefit until you achieve completionist... This is because you max out at 36 build points after 2 TRs, and you really can't slot more than 1-2 past-life feats anyway.

    All you get after double TR is all the passive past life feats, which are fairly minor.

    This is pretty accurate for the vast majority of melee builds. Only thing I would add is that for a spell (as opposed to melee) based caster, ONE past life as a wizard adds a lot, with the +2 spell pen passive and +1 DC to all school active feat.

  9. #9
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    I wouldn't TR a Tempest Ranger. I'd take that Tempest Ranger, and convert him into something like a MNK using Greater Reincarnations. And THEN, once he was a MNK or something else, I'd TR him. The past life feats you pick up from TR'ing a ranger are jokes unless you want to end up as something like an Arcane Archer.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Faent View Post
    I wouldn't TR a Tempest Ranger. I'd take that Tempest Ranger, and convert him into something like a MNK using Greater Reincarnations. And THEN, once he was a MNK or something else, I'd TR him. The past life feats you pick up from TR'ing a ranger are jokes unless you want to end up as something like an Arcane Archer.
    Sadly this guy has a point
    Pretty much all the other past lives are better - in come case MUCH better than a Ranger one unless you are going for mainly ranged physical damage.

  11. #11
    Community Member Cardtrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Cannith
    Posts
    2,025

    Default

    If you're sure you're going Ranger -> X -> Ranger, then nothing beats paladin for the X. The healing amp is nice on a class with some self-healing capability, but the active past life is the real benefit. That +3/+3 buff is excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard_Zero View Post
    One day I just wrote "Why Do I Die So Much?" in party chat, and that is how I learned about fortification.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload