Default Challenges in PD?

I tried one of the challenges on a non-PD character. It was boring. The kobold voices are childish and moronic. It felt like Warcraft (the RTS), not Dungeons & Dragons. Probably what Turb was going for. I'm sure all the free playing teens will play them non-stop for +1, but I think they are a waste of development time. I would rather have a few more quests. The quests we've gotten since free play started have been outstanding. Why move away from that? Granted, I tried only one...

Any PD guilds doing these? Fun? Rewarding?
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

I assume groups, PD onr non PD would run them for the same reasons, the loot.

Sounds like you don't like them. I would suggest not running them if I were you.

Ive been doing them, and theres some I like more than others.

I dont feel an MMO should be all one type of format. I think this type of thing has its place in DDO, literally because of the fact that it is different.

Working against the clock is something new for PD in general. Sure there are a few quests that have timed objectives, but not like these challenges. These cant be crawled to be as safe as possible and also completed regularly.

There is alot of repitition required for loot acquisition in the challenges, so those with 'once and done" style restrictions will likely not gravitate toward this mechanic.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Community Member kafrielveddicus's Avatar

We allow the challenges for gaining favor, but don't allow looting of supply chests or earning of XP, as far as the items for trade-in, our guilds are welcome to grind them out if they wish!
    Guild: PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda Level 56, Website: http://valhallans.proboards.com/
    Casualnarc 20, Repentnarc 16, Snipernarc 14, Banknarc 13, Gatlingnarc 12, Airnarc 12, Braverynarc 11, Lednarc 11, Tempestnarc 11, Holynarc 9, Repeatnarc 6, Ebuttonnarc 6 <-ALL WITH ZERO DEATHS

Quote Originally Posted by TheNarc View Post
    We allow the challenges for gaining favor, but don't allow looting of supply chests or earning of XP, as far as the items for trade-in, our guilds are welcome to grind them out if they wish!
    How do you prevent the looting of chests (they appear right in your inventory) or the gaining of XP (its just added at the end of the run).
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    How do you prevent the looting of chests (they appear right in your inventory) or the gaining of XP (its just added at the end of the run).
    Our guild rules are that Supply chests are to be destroyed, and you may only run the challenges if someone in the group is so overlevel that xp is not rewarded or they have to be at an xp cap therefore unable to earn xp, all our other guild rules in regards to grouping still apply.
    Guild: PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda Level 56, Website: http://valhallans.proboards.com/
    Casualnarc 20, Repentnarc 16, Snipernarc 14, Banknarc 13, Gatlingnarc 12, Airnarc 12, Braverynarc 11, Lednarc 11, Tempestnarc 11, Holynarc 9, Repeatnarc 6, Ebuttonnarc 6 <-ALL WITH ZERO DEATHS

Well the kobold voice over was fairly popular on the cove, so much that the kobold union is having three new ventures :P

But i can see that the PD players like more serious adventures, if so the whole of the challenges may feel out of place, kobolds or not.

It's not the kobolds fault either way, kobolds need not be evil, kobolds as you knew them got nasty only after Kurtulmak got annoyed to legendary levels by Garn Glittergold.
    Garn Glittergold is sought in at least two worlds for crimes against kobold kin, he is not welcome in Eberron

We want gnomes but dun want Garl, gnomes in eberron are peaceful little fellows.
    The certainly need no vendetta against the kobold union, let alone the mighty Argonnessen.
    (they are to D&D gnomes what LotR hobbits are to D&D halflings)
    Last edited by donfilibuster; 11-23-2011 at 04:07 PM.

That seems odd Narc, so you only allow them to be ran way over level, but you ARE allowing the crafting/collecting part? Seems like that would be a very safe, but boring way to do these. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Orohb View Post
    That seems odd Narc, so you only allow them to be ran way over level, but you ARE allowing the crafting/collecting part? Seems like that would be a very safe, but boring way to do these. Am I missing something?
    None of the items are really all that useful unless you do the epic items(which would be completely legit for a capped xp level 20 to grind away at), but as I said in my earlier post the challenges can be run by any level as long as xp is not earned, this means that a toon with their xp capped(at any level) could run the quests in order to obtain favor and the crafting ingredients, what we dont want in our guild is guildies running the challenges over and over whilst grinding easy xp. As far as boring goes, the challenges are boring, only a few of our guildies have even bothered to run them and so far they have only run them for the favor, no one has been interested in grinding them for the gear!

That makes sense, I missed the part part about banking xp and capping out.