Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast

I also wanted to comment on why fitting in +20 spot and search item is important, since a number of people have asked, some have said it is stupid, etc,etc. (LOL)

I have been using the drow racial enhancement nothing is hidden. It automatically makes a search check without searching! I love this enough to keep it. At first I though OK, I will try it and then just go back to the usual methods. Not having to search is such a time saver and has a very high convenience factor! I am only able to fit it in at tier II which comes with a -8 search penalty, so maxing both spot and search when using this enhancement is very important. It only requires 4 additional points in the racial tree to get tier 2 or 6 to get tier 3 (for only a -4 penalty). If I could, I would go to tier 3, but that would require sacrifices elsewhere I am not willing to make.

You can literally zerg and still get the traps, even on EE! Important for me for 2 reasons, XP bonus and not falling behind the zerg group when getting traps.

Also the comments all the dumazz barbs make as they blunder into the traps as they are being auto revealed is priceless.
    Cully Clonk, Culpepper Cleric, Culpeppa PvP spec Cleric, Azygoz Clogue
    Coyle evoker FvS, Ungoliant, Assassin, Angainor, WF Lord of Blades FvS
    Mellkor Wizard, Ferrari WF Sorc, ***Argonnessen*** ~~Ascent~~

Some random rock hurdling through the universe to who knows where...

Quote Originally Posted by Mellkor View Post
    I also wanted to comment on why fitting in +20 spot and search item is important, since a number of people have asked, some have said it is stupid, etc,etc. (LOL)

I have been using the drow racial enhancement nothing is hidden. It automatically makes a search check without searching! I love this enough to keep it. At first I though OK, I will try it and then just go back to the usual methods. Not having to search is such a time saver and has a very high convenience factor! I am only able to fit it in at tier II which comes with a -8 search penalty, so maxing both spot and search when using this enhancement is very important. It only requires 4 additional points in the racial tree to get tier 2 or 6 to get tier 3 (for only a -4 penalty). If I could, I would go to tier 3, but that would require sacrifices elsewhere I am not willing to make.

You can literally zerg and still get the traps, even on EE! Important for me for 2 reasons, XP bonus and not falling behind the zerg group when getting traps.

Also the comments all the dumazz barbs make as they blunder into the traps as they are being auto revealed is priceless.
    I don't see it listed in your OP so I'm curious what you drop to fit that in. Rank 2 of nothing is hidden and its pre-reqs (keen senses rank 2) cost a total of 6 ap. As far as I can tell, the only way you could get those points is by dropping haste boost in mechanic. Is that correct?
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

Quote Originally Posted by CThruTheEgo View Post
    I don't see it listed in your OP so I'm curious what you drop to fit that in. Rank 2 of nothing is hidden and its pre-reqs (keen senses rank 2) cost a total of 6 ap. As far as I can tell, the only way you could get those points is by dropping haste boost in mechanic. Is that correct?
    Yeah thats what I did. Since I cant use them both together anymore its not a big loss. I do miss it tho. But auto reveal is pretty cool too.

You're forgetting about the base 12 PRR granted with wearing light armor. So you'd have:

12 base + 15 prowess + 16 augment = 43 PRR or 22.80% damage reduction
    12 base + 15 prowess + 24 guardian ring = 51 PRR or 26.07 damage reduction

That's only a difference of 3.27% or about 10 points of damage off a 300 point hit. IMO, that's not huge and worth giving up for another 5 average damage or 45 hp as you suggest.

EDIT: You've got too many rings in your suggestion: avithoul, deadly, and skirmisher's. Unless you're suggesting to give up the avithoul ring for deadly, which is not a good choice since avithoul provides 3 more damage than deadly 10 and has improved deception.

A better solution is to move the deadly 10 of resistance 10 with slotted bluff 15 into the skirmisher's ring slot, use a GS hp necklace, get con 3 and 8 in the trinket and helm, and dex 2 on the avithoul ring. That evens out the dex, loses 2 wis, thunderstruck, and deathblock, and gains 45 hp. That might be worth considering.
    As I said, if you don't think that 51 PRR is much better than 43, swap the Skirmisher's for the Deadly ring. Keep both Avithoul AND the Deadly ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rys View Post
    Severlin and Severlin Online. PLAY FOR FREE* NOW!

*maybe
    Farwil, Chaos Gamblers - Argonessen.

Yeah thats what I did. Since I cant use them both together anymore its not a big loss. I do miss it tho. But auto reveal is pretty cool too.
    I've been intrigued by the "auto trap finding abilities" as well, but I have a hard time spending resources on things that are purely convenience. As a human, the only way for me to get it is the watchful eye feat at level 27. I intended to take epic damage reduction but I'll probably take watchful eye just to try it out. I could certainly see myself not wanting to give it up after I try it though.

Wiki has a note that says the feat uses the spot skill only, and doesn't use search at all. I would assume the feat and enhancements work the same way. I remember seeing a thread about this some time ago but didn't bother to read it. Do you know for sure that it uses both spot and search? You might be able to free up your neck suffix if it doesn't.

Also, with the penalty, has this ability ever failed you and you had to manually search it out? Or have you pretty much seen automatic success with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wizza View Post
    As I said, if you don't think that 51 PRR is much better than 43, swap the Skirmisher's for the Deadly ring. Keep both Avithoul AND the Deadly ring.
    You mentioned slotting blindness immunity on the skirmisher's ring, that's what confused me. Thanks for the clarification Wizza.
    Totally Bass Ackwards ~ int based/heavy armored pure tempest<>The Count of Monte Cristo ~ dps/CC/survivability focused pure swashbuckler<>Santa's Little Slayer ~ dragonmarked elf centered kensai<>Hassan's Assassin ~ 76 DC/dps/survivability focused human assassin<>Dubbell O'Seven ~ casting/ranged WF artificer

I've been intrigued by the "auto trap finding abilities" as well, but I have a hard time spending resources on things that are purely convenience. As a human, the only way for me to get it is the watchful eye feat at level 27. I intended to take epic damage reduction but I'll probably take watchful eye just to try it out. I could certainly see myself not wanting to give it up after I try it though.

Wiki has a note that says the feat uses the spot skill only, and doesn't use search at all. I would assume the feat and enhancements work the same way. I remember seeing a thread about this some time ago but didn't bother to read it. Do you know for sure that it uses both spot and search? You might be able to free up your neck suffix if it doesn't.

Also, with the penalty, has this ability ever failed you and you had to manually search it out? Or have you pretty much seen automatic success with it.

You mentioned slotting blindness immunity on the skirmisher's ring, that's what confused me. Thanks for the clarification Wizza.
    I don't know about the feat, but the description for the drow racial enhancement nothing is hidden says I automatically perform a search check to locate traps and secret doors when I am in range to spot them. This search check occurs at a -8 penalty. I am certain you have to be able to make your spot check also. There have been times when I had to do the old fashioned search because I couldnt spot the trap because of the penalty, but upon doing the regular search (without penalty) I was able to locate. This was when I had the tier 1 at a -12 penalty and my spot was lower at the time. This hasnt occured lately tho, even in EE with the -8 penalty. I currently have a 75 spot. This will improve a few points with level ups and better wis score and gear to around 80 at end game.
    Last edited by Mellkor; 09-26-2013 at 10:35 PM.

I don't know about the feat, but the description for the drow racial enhancement nothing is hidden says I automatically perform a search check to locate traps and secret doors when I am in range to spot them.
    The feat says the same, you perform a search check, but I believe it is only the spot skill that is actually used. I'll have to find that thread and link it. Thanks for the info.

EDIT: Found the thread, but it doesn't provide any more info than what's already been stated.
    Last edited by CThruTheEgo; 09-27-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Weapon main set is still Balizarde with 1d10 acid damage in the red slot + EMG with 1d10 acid damage in the red slot. For bosses I use 2 Balizardes or Balizards + Agony. for DR bypassers, 2 Celestia's works on almost everything needing bypassers. The only other thing I now carry is a good set of portal beaters. Celestias used to bypass portal DR, but not anymore. Don't ask how I found this out .
    I’m kind of surprised I’m not seeing a pair of Sacrificial Daggers with Knife Specialization.
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX View Post
    I’m kind of surprised I’m not seeing a pair of Sacrificial Daggers with Knife Specialization.
    I did use those up until lev 25 or so. They just didnt seem as effective after lev 25 or so. I still find them useful on rare occasions. It seems on mobs that take a long time to kill (and thus warrants using them) it is more effective to let other folks get aggro on a few and then just assassinate them 2 or 3 at a time. I would imagine they are very good for soloing, but I don't solo much. I don't play this game to solo!

Community Member

Default Item choices for end game

I am going with this I think. I am still on the fence about EE Ring of Shadows. I may swap it for CON 10 of something and rely on a stack of displacement clickies. Or put the neck item on the ring and go with GS 45 HP item. /shrug.

Head-Black Dragon Helm (+3 insight CON, green slot(+16 PRR), yellow slot(+8 CON), set bonus: (+3% artifact bonus to double strike).

Neck- Random Loot (Deadly 10, Search +20, colorless slot(+15 listen).

Trinket- Planar Focus of Subterfuge (+3 insight DEX, +1 alchemical saves, set bonus: (3% dodge, +5 sneak attack to hit, +8 sneak attack damage, true seeing).

Cloak- Adamantine Cloak of the Wolf (+5 exceptional seeker, 8% dodge, attack +4, diversion 20%).

Belt- EE Skullduggery (+6 INT skills, +6 DEX skills, random ability(seeker 10), green slot(resist +8).

Ring 1- Ring of Deceit (+20 to bluff, diplo, haggle, +8 CHA, improved deception, yellow slot(vitality +20), colorless slot(+2 insight WIS).

Ring 2- EE Ring of Shadows (ghostly, lesser displacement, +20 to move silently and hide, yellow slot(Globe of True Imperial Blood).

Hands- Gloves of the Master Illusionist (INT +11, some useless stuff, yellow(false life +40).

Feet- EE Goatskin Boots (speed XV perma haste!, green slot(protection +8), colorless slot(+8 STR), random ability (fortification 115%).

Bracers- Skirmishers Bracers (+9 DEX, doublestrike +8%), --> swap to EE Bracers of Twisting Shade and tinkers goggles when using disable device if needed or when +20 to search is needed).

Eyes- EE Intricate Field Optics (+3 insight INT, True Seeing, Spot +20, yellow slot(+8 WIS), green slot(+8 natural armor). ---> swap to Goggles of Time Sensing for haste (until you aquire the boots).

Armour- Black dragon light armour (need shadowdancer destiny to bump this to 25 max dex bonus) (Armour piercing 20%, Haste Guard, Set Bonus, Sup Acid Resist, Relentless Fury, blue slot(+2 armored agility).

Quiver- one that adds + acid damage to ranged attacks.

Balizarde provides: Good Luck +2, +4 insight to all saves, and +8% insight Dodge.

Weapon main set is still Balizarde with 1d10 acid damage in the red slot + EMG with 1d10 acid damage in the red slot. For bosses OR for when my assassinate DC is not challanged by mobs I am fighting, I use Balizarde + Agony. When crowd control is important, I use 2 EMG's. For DR bypassers, 2 Celestia's works on almost everything needing bypassers. I also carry a good set of portal beaters.

What about Pendant of the Stormreaver or the Epic Ring of the Stalker for end game. What are the views on these items?
    I like both of these.

Quote Originally Posted by thomhas_of_mabar View Post
    What about Pendant of the Stormreaver or the Epic Ring of the Stalker for end game. What are the views on these items?
    I like both of these.
    Well, the ring doesnt really add anything better, and the Pendant only adds damage on a vorpal hit. The deadly necklace adds +10 to every hit which is probably better (I don't do number crunching). So I have a low opinion of them. They are OK if you have nothing better to put there, but for current endgame I think there are far better options.

The deadly necklace adds +10 to every hit which is probably better (I don't do number crunching). So I have a low opinion of them. They are OK if you have nothing better to put there, but for current endgame I think there are far better options.
    Thunderstruck added something like 4 damage per swing.

Quote Originally Posted by thomhas_of_mabar View Post
    I like both of these.
    The pendant adds an average of 4.75 damage per hit. The Skirmisher's Ring also has the thunderstruck proc and I have considered it in my gear setup. I'm still debating between the ring or moving some gear around to fit in a GS HP item. I'd take the ring over the pendant personally. They both have a yellow slot but the ring comes with con 8 and is a whole lot easier to acquire. The electric resistance on the pendant is easily found elsewhere and only needed as a swap in occasionally.

The stalker ring is good for a variety of builds, but I don't think an assassin is one of them. If you're running in shadowdancer, then the ghostly is irrelevant since you should have shadow form active all the time. Seeker 10 is much better than seeker 6. The manslayer effect will add an average of 5 damage per hit to all humanoids, which is nice, but the instakill portion is redundant on an assassin. Exceptional sneak 3 is available elsewhere and, afaik, also comes with sneak attack 5 on those items. The colorless and yellow slots are certainly nice if you are in need of slots.

So overall, I'd say there's better choices for both items.

Community Member

Thanks for this build concept. I'm working on an Int-based assassin myself that's similar in concept, though I won't be "endgaming" the character, just leveling through heroic/epic.

One thing I've wondered about: the mix between Int and Dex. I've maxed out Int, taken Int-boosting enhancements, put all my levelups into it, etc. My Assassinate DC is accordingly quite high. But I wonder if, at least at heroic levels, I'd be better off putting some of those points into Dex. My Assassinate DC is actually probably higher than it needs to be, and since every 2 points in Dex is an extra +1 damage on all hits, I'm not sure if maybe putting more in Dex might be better. Right now my Int goes as high as 42, while my Dex is 28 (at level 16).

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    Thanks for this build concept. I'm working on an Int-based assassin myself that's similar in concept, though I won't be "endgaming" the character, just leveling through heroic/epic.

One thing I've wondered about: the mix between Int and Dex. I've maxed out Int, taken Int-boosting enhancements, put all my levelups into it, etc. My Assassinate DC is accordingly quite high. But I wonder if, at least at heroic levels, I'd be better off putting some of those points into Dex. My Assassinate DC is actually probably higher than it needs to be, and since every 2 points in Dex is an extra +1 damage on all hits, I'm not sure if maybe putting more in Dex might be better. Right now my Int goes as high as 42, while my Dex is 28 (at level 16).
    As an assassin you also have an excessive amount of sneak attack damage. Especially in heroic and epic non-endgame content, you will tear through mobs so quickly the extra 5-8 points of damage from a heavy dex investment (i.e. higher starting dex, level ups, and class and racial dex enhacements) won't make much difference. They might die a couple seconds faster. Personally, I'd rather have a no-fail instakill effect that allows me to quickly remove high hp orange names, fast healing trash, or other deadly trash like casters. That's just my opinion on dex vs int.

As an assassin you also have an excessive amount of sneak attack damage. Especially in heroic and epic non-endgame content, you will tear through mobs so quickly the extra 5-8 points of damage from a heavy dex investment (i.e. higher starting dex, level ups, and class and racial dex enhacements) won't make much difference. They might die a couple seconds faster. Personally, I'd rather have a no-fail instakill effect that allows me to quickly remove high hp orange names, fast healing trash, or other deadly trash like casters. That's just my opinion on dex vs int.
    Agree

1 point of damage (from 2 DEX) on a bajillion sneak dice is negligible
    1 point of assassinate DC (from 2 INT) is much more meanintful swing on the DC dice

On a splash build, I'd consider DEX - something where you weren't hitting the end-game assassinate mark. Something like a Rogue 13 / Ranger 6 going for attack speed on daggers maybe.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post

This build actually performs better in harder endgame content. Reason is in those quests where it takes a long time to beat down mobs you are often easily assassinating 2 at a time in less time the rest of the party takes to kills one, in quests such as EE tor, for example. So IF you are NOT running challenging end game content, and you are zerging through a life running at level quests and not using assassinate much, then I would be tempted to go with dex, but then you are really moving away from the concept of this build and into a pure DPS type of rogue build. As others have mentioned, you probably wont notice too much of a difference damage wise anyway, since a very large portion of damage comes from sneak attack. I have seen number crunchers claim that this build does something like 85 to 90% of an all out (shadowdancer) dps build. Having played both types of builds, I would say that number is reasonable. Although an all out DPS build in destinies outside of shadowdancer has the potential to do a fair amount more DPS than a rogue in shadow dancer, but I can't comment on those types of builds since all my rogue builds run or ran shadowdancer. I would guess those types of builds are a real glass cannon tho, all DPS and no defense and a lot less utility.
    Last edited by Mellkor; 09-30-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Community Member

Thanks for the replies, makes perfect sense. Int maximizing shall continue!

I also got rid of consume again. It worked great to OK up until lev 25. I am at lev 26 now, and it works so seldomly in EE content I am running now I just dont think its worth it. And thats with a 60 INT :/

It works ok in normal and hard quests at this level, but even in hard, not enough to warrant its cost, IMO.

Ah well, will give it a try again someday if something changes, I guess.

I updated the OP with lev 28 numbers. (I am now back to lev 27 and I extrapolated my current numbers to lev 28, so there may be an error here and there. I will correct them when I cap and finish my lev 28 gear set).

I also tweeked the endgame gear set a little bit to include one greensteel item.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast