Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Community Member

what i am getting is your new to PnP and trained on DDO. ok do not dumb chr, if your in a real pnp group witha real dm dumping chr means you wont even be allowed to try to be taht socially adept nor think of clever social related plans. also dont dump int. I have known DMs that will pretty much shut down your right to talk with anything more then idiotic one liners like "I like Swords!" if your int is under 12.

Con is actually my main dump stat in PnP. High AC is all that matters really defense wise. and good saves in will and ref mainly. If your frail most DMs actually tend to kind of protect you indirectly by keeping you from being ganged up on, or catching first aggro. Just because dieing always tends to slow down a campaign and being low hp is a pretty good way to show the DM your not meta gaming for max survivability which most DMs appreciate alot.

the stats you showed where pretty solid with only one low number really hurting you. Depends totally one your leveling plan. keep in mind in PnP multiclassing is SO much different and diverse. especially with prestige classes which even more so then in DDO you need to plan for or expect to never be one.

Id probably if its an underdark adventure go with a hybrid elf. wood/drow mother raped by drow duringa surface raid thing. but then your mother was sent into exile and chose to go into the deep woods where the dark and mystical nature sustained your drow blood.

What alot forget there is drow are the closest to first born elves left in existance and interbreed with all other elves quite well.

This character would still have the +2 racial xp issue drow have, but his racial weapons and the like would mirror his mothers people. I once played one in 2nd ed as a shugenja/ninja raised in kara tur and was tons of fun both in combat and social interaction.

Your stats and dumping con would let you be an awesome spell caster/stealth/hit and run warrrior and id consider the traditional rogue wiz combo. its not hard to fit in levels in PRCs like shadow dancer, and assassin quite early, then id focus more on magic and try getting PRC in levels like mage thief, or arcane duelist and war wizard asap to up your magic power.

In PnP you dont need the extremes you see demanded of so often in DDO, a well played hybrid with just enough in the skill based classes to help keep you going when your magic runs low is about the best way to go. and drowish rogue wizards are not just a standard thye are a tradition dating back to some of the earliest eras of PNP.

Quote Originally Posted by Ugumagre View Post
    I am thinking about a spiked chain + combat reflexes and be calling for opportunity attacks until the DM hates me more than kobolds hate you.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

real gamers play roll 3d6 per stat in order and take what you got. thats how I started dnd miss those days.

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolwind View Post
    Rolled it twice on my life. Once for a PC I was playing with 3 witnesses. 2nd time was for an NPC villain I was creating with 1 witness lol. Melinak still warrants curses and threats from my old gaming friends lol.

I've also had a 60pt fireball on 10d6, and my longest 20 streak was 11. My longest fumble/1 streak is 17. Yes, 17 rolls in a row with a 1, live game, same dice as the 20 streak. Was with a Vorpal sword as well. Needless to say, heads rolled....the rest of the parties heads and 3 prisoners & 2 refugees...
    A buddy of mine rolled the dreaded 1-1-confirm miss again. Way we typically do this is a 20-20-confirm hit again is death for the target. 1-1-X is a critical miss that hits you or an ally in range for what the 20-20-X does.

I gave him the d6 to decided what he was hitting. Fortunately for him it ended up being the treant the AA had summoned up earlier.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

When people would rather roll their toon up than just use the 28 point pay system, I allow them to do so using 4d6 for each stat, but tell them not to choose their class until the rolling is over. Its fairly realistic - the talents and liabilities someone is born with / cultivated throughout their life would impact their choice of which adventuring class combination they would become.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    When people would rather roll their toon up than just use the 28 point pay system, I allow them to do so using 4d6 for each stat, but tell them not to choose their class until the rolling is over. Its fairly realistic - the talents and liabilities someone is born with / cultivated throughout their life would impact their choice of which adventuring class combination they would become.
    Rolling the stats in order? lol (Yes I know this was how it was once done)

Typically with the roll 4d6 drop lowest d6, you roll all six of them and then CHOOSE which stat each one goes to.
    Khyber: Runforr 13/6/1 Rog/Ftr/Mnk, Bakup 3/3/1 Mnk/Pal/Rog (TR Pal), Faylah 14 Mnk (TR Mnk), Janthyra 12/7/1 Brb/Rog/Ftr, Ainbthech 20 Sor, Fliethas 18/2 Fvs/Mnk, Unfilled 12/6/2 Mnk/Rgr/Ftr, Arcanemark 10 Wiz "Don't eat us dragon! We're like you, but smaller. And fly worse." - Kobold Crewman on the Heart of Wind

Quote Originally Posted by Diyon View Post

Typically with the roll 4d6 drop lowest d6, you roll all six of them and then CHOOSE which stat each one goes to.
    Nerp, roll em in order, Unearthed Arcana 1.0 style. Then choose class after. First you find out what your mama gave ya, then you apply it to choosing your class.

There was another method outlined in Unearthed Arcana 1.0 where you COULD choose your class first, then the table loaded the number of dice for you based on the class. For instance, a fighter would get to roll 9D6 and choose the best 3 for str, but only get to roll 3D6 for int. That always made for some interesting characters.
    Last edited by Chai; 12-15-2011 at 10:18 AM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

We also did the 3d6 - then choose where to apply each of the 6 rolls...

Part of the fun and charm of rolling up a character was excepting the weaknesses it started with.

Of course with 3.5 you also had the Age Rules which adjusted the Attributes after Racial Adjustments. All you had to do was start Older - Worked better on Races that lived a long time.

Of course Picking the Class, then rolling each Attribute in Order, could also make for great fun
    Fighter with 10 or less strength
    Wizard with 10 or less Int
    Cleric with 10 or less Wisdom

Sure would add a challenge and possibly take you on a path of exploration different then you originally thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post

Of course Picking the Class, then rolling each Attribute in Order, could also make for great fun
    Fighter with 10 or less strength
    Wizard with 10 or less Int
    Cleric with 10 or less Wisdom

Sure would add a challenge and possibly take you on a path of exploration different then you originally thought.
    Had a cleric with a 4 int once and an 18 wisdom. DM gave me eidetic memory to go along with it. Lawful good...kept trying to 'save' hookers. Things went really south when I decided to flame strike the bar/***** house we stopped at in Cormyr.
    Aeolwind (5/12) - 18 Sorc/1 Art | Melisandria - 20 Fighter SD | Anlona - 20 cleric RS

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    real gamers play roll 3d6 per stat in order and take what you got. thats how I started dnd miss those days.
    Or use the table in 1st Edition Unearthed Arcana I love PNP

NERDRAGE
    Sithias ~ Darcath ~ Darccath ~ Darckath ~ Sithificer ~ Sithinator ~ Sithiuus

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquishedfo View Post
    what i am getting is your new to PnP and trained on DDO. ok do not dumb chr, if your in a real pnp group witha real dm dumping chr means you wont even be allowed to try to be taht socially adept nor think of clever social related plans. also dont dump int. I have known DMs that will pretty much shut down your right to talk with anything more then idiotic one liners like "I like Swords!" if your int is under 12.
    ....you do realize 12 INT is above average, right? 10-11 is an average human's int.

Quote Originally Posted by Diyon View Post

In Rune Quest we always roll it in order, as int is 2d6+6 , Size also 2d6+6, and somehow we got used to it.

Vanquishedfo, I am a very experienced D&D PnP player (also red box). Actually, my first DDO PC was gimped because I made it PnP style.
    The only problem is that my friends group, me inclusive, is full retarded. Yesterday we played again, and I said exactly this "We are playing now more than 20 years D&D, and we still use the tactic: brake the door, enter the room. And then we wonder why we get killed".
    The spiked chain + improved trip + improved disarm and special hability opportunist turned out to be a good thing.
    The Horc Barb (lvl 11, saving throw +2) was charmed by a vampire and I had to trip him like five times, to avoid him killing us all, while the Cleric gave the Vampire some cure critical wounds...

Thrudh, thanks for the spiked chain comic
    Goat, Sammich, Poultry

Never rolled and never will.

When my friends GM, we roll the 4d6 / assign as you wish, though when I GM we use the pts build (like ddo).
    Sarlona : The Quebeckers - Soloing, Duoing or Small Group in french
    Thelanis : Sofa Kings - Yes, we are that cool

The best I ever rolled was a human paladin on a 4d6 drop the lowest system.

18 str
    18 dex
    18 con
    15 int
    16 wis
    17 cha

The DM asked me where I got the loaded dice, I said they're your dice, you tell me. Actually now that I think about it, he never confirmed it either way...

Quote Originally Posted by Ugumagre View Post
    I was thinking about this posibilities, as I have to roll for a new PnP character (D&D 3.5).
    If I am right I have

1/101559956668416

Do you think somebody in the world has ever rolled 6x18? Even accepting three rolls for character, picking the best roll, or making two rolls with 4d6, and discarding the lowest dice.
    I guess in some parallel universe I have such a character...
    In my 30+ years of playing D&D I have only had this hapen to me once. The rolls were all whitnessed by the DM. We were using the roll 4d6 drop lowest method, back in first edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Uska View Post
    that would be the "lucky" real gamers. the unlucky ones got to pick a 1-6 chit out of a cup 3 times replacing
    the chit after each pull. Of course after a party of 4 or 5 players got a shot at the "dice" anyone who wanted
    to re-roll was summarily beaten (ok just kidding, but they were spoken to harshly )
    The Office of the Exchequer. 1750 on all live servers via Pure pugging. Thank you very much to all who helped carry a gimp . (wayfinder was a soloist build)

Quote Originally Posted by Drakos View Post
    In my 30+ years of playing D&D I have only had this hapen to me once. The rolls were all whitnessed by the DM. We were using the roll 4d6 drop lowest method, back in first edition.
    I would have switched their dice out after the third roll, not that I care but just to be cocky, heh.

In fact, Ive reached accross the table and swapped someones d20 out for mine once (completely different colors - so theyd totally know) after they kept landing hit after hit, only to watch them shrug, and continue rolling 17-20.
    Last edited by Chai; 03-07-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeolwind View Post
    Rolled it twice on my life. Once for a PC I was playing with 3 witnesses. 2nd time was for an NPC villain I was creating with 1 witness lol. Melinak still warrants curses and threats from my old gaming friends lol.

I've also had a 60pt fireball on 10d6, and my longest 20 streak was 11. My longest fumble/1 streak is 17. Yes, 17 rolls in a row with a 1, live game, same dice as the 20 streak. Was with a Vorpal sword as well. Needless to say, heads rolled....the rest of the parties heads and 3 prisoners & 2 refugees...

if I had been gming after and using 1's for fumbles that would been the last as I would have used the third times the charm rule and your own head would have been on the ground

The ANTI-Realms FANBOI NUKE THE REALMS ITS THE ONLY REAL WAY TO BE SURE

The best I ever rolled ( With 3d6) was 3 x 18, 2 x 17 and a 16, and it was don in front of the DM, needless to say eyes almost popped out.

I think the highest anyone got after that was a 16.
    Where is my GREATBOW???

Community Member

all 18's would be one heck of a roll.

Best I ever managed to do was 17 16 15 15 12 10 - Used that (with permission of the dm) to make an old school bard under the ad&d rules set, not 3.5. First 5 levels were fighter, next 4 were rogue, then onto bard. Our dm utilized a 5d6 method, with the roller dropping the highest and lowest of the dice, and all rolls were done in front of the group.

Old school bard was the best character to play, least for me it was. Finally broke my addiction to rolling rangers named "aragorn". But alas the bard is no more. He was last seen piloting an interdimensional ship loaded with an entire dragons hoard into an unknown fissure in the realm of planescape. If you happen to come across him let me know....
    Last edited by Pape_27; 03-07-2012 at 09:10 AM.
    boo-tai jung-tzahng-duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    We love fansites!
    <*cough*B.S.*cough*>
    Quote Originally Posted by SqueakofDoom View Post
    There will be bugs!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast