Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53
  1. #1
    Community Member Ugumagre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,547

    Default 18 in all Stats as starting character

    I was thinking about this posibilities, as I have to roll for a new PnP character (D&D 3.5).
    If I am right I have

    1/101559956668416

    Do you think somebody in the world has ever rolled 6x18? Even accepting three rolls for character, picking the best roll, or making two rolls with 4d6, and discarding the lowest dice.
    I guess in some parallel universe I have such a character...
    Goat, Sammich, Poultry

  2. #2
    Community Member Montrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ugumagre View Post
    I was thinking about this posibilities, as I have to roll for a new PnP character (D&D 3.5).
    If I am right I have

    1/101559956668416

    Do you think somebody in the world has ever rolled 6x18? Even accepting three rolls for character, picking the best roll, or making two rolls with 4d6, and discarding the lowest dice.
    I guess in some parallel universe I have such a character...
    Two rolls with 4d6 drop the lowest would get you much closer, for sure.

    With 3d6 straight-up, the odds are highly against it having happened (at least by hand). Look at it this way. If you generated 6 stats every second of every day of every week it would take you 3.2 million years to generate 6 18's.

    101559956668416 combinations / 1 combiantion a second / 60 seconds a minute / 60 minutes an hour / 24 hours a day / 7 days a week / 52 weeks a year = 3,229,292.5 years


    Edit for clarity: It would take 3 million years to guarentee the roll, assuming no duplicates. Actual time could be much less or much greater depending on how lucky one was.
    Last edited by Montrose; 11-15-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Edit for clarity
    You may know me as: Gannot, Gonnet, Gunnet, Ginnet, Gaxxat, Gennot, Gannut, Gxnnxt, Horseface, Izzayhay, Pailmaster, Artifactual, Gynnet and/or Barred. What? I like alts.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    3,741

    Default

    If I ever got these rolls and we were playing with the right ruleset I'd make the character an old-school Charlatan. I don't remember the exact rules but it's one heck of a fun class to play in PnP. My character took great joy in getting away with faking his way through everything and made use of skills in creative ways constantly to stay one step ahead of the hangman's noose. Those stats in the hands of a clever gamer with a good DM would be frightening.
    Tajawuka 9 monk/8 ranger/3 arti AA (3 ranger/monk/fighter pl's) - Toolbots working on Morninglord Cleric life #2 (3 wizard/sorc/druid pl) - Evisra 28 rogue

  4. #4
    Community Member thwart's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    983

    Default

    A guy in my pnp group from a long time ago always seemed to roll characters with an 18 in every stat. Of course, no one ever saw him do it. Unfortunately, his characters seemed to have pretty poor luck and they always seem to meet some unfortunate (and unreversible) end.

  5. #5
    Community Member Postumus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    SW Wheloon
    Posts
    6,869

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thwart View Post
    A guy in my pnp group from a long time ago always seemed to roll characters with an 18 in every stat. Of course, no one ever saw him do it. Unfortunately, his characters seemed to have pretty poor luck and they always seem to meet some unfortunate (and unreversible) end.
    Pretty much this. If such a character were ever legitimately rolled, the DM would insta-kill/remove him as a matter of principle.


    People should embrace the low roll. It gives you a better starting point to actually RP. Best fighter I ever had only had a 16 STR.

  6. #6
    Community Member Ugumagre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    I will derail my own post.

    Well, I just rolled my character (lvl 10 or 11, have to speak with the DM).
    Woooot! (4d6, discarding the lowest, 2 sets picking best set)

    15
    13
    7
    15
    15
    18

    I guess I will dump Charisma...

    I have discovered that it is quite possible and fun playing with webcam (only me being on video, the other friends in a room) and I just have entered the quest. They need a Rogue. Most of the adventure is in utter dark (...drow...) so I was thinking of a Dwarf. Duergar would be two levels lower. After so much DDO, I am a bit "out".
    In PnP, as I saw the other day...AC matters. Enemies do miss a lot if you have 25 AC, at lvl 10.
    Although I could make 10 Rogue / 1 Fighter with no XP penalties (dwarf favored class) and take an Urgosh and TWF... I am thinking about a spiked chain + combat reflexes and be calling for opportunity attacks until the DM hates me more than kobolds hate you.
    Stupid thing...quite a lot of undead and vampires in this quest. Hmmm.... decisions, decisions.
    Some good advice?
    Goat, Sammich, Poultry

  7. #7
    Community Member Masseurhanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ugumagre View Post
    I will derail my own post.

    Well, I just rolled my character (lvl 10 or 11, have to speak with the DM).
    Woooot! (4d6, discarding the lowest, 2 sets picking best set)

    15
    13
    7
    15
    15
    18

    I guess I will dump Charisma...

    I have discovered that it is quite possible and fun playing with webcam (only me being on video, the other friends in a room) and I just have entered the quest. They need a Rogue. Most of the adventure is in utter dark (...drow...) so I was thinking of a Dwarf. Duergar would be two levels lower. After so much DDO, I am a bit "out".
    In PnP, as I saw the other day...AC matters. Enemies do miss a lot if you have 25 AC, at lvl 10.
    Although I could make 10 Rogue / 1 Fighter with no XP penalties (dwarf favored class) and take an Urgosh and TWF... I am thinking about a spiked chain + combat reflexes and be calling for opportunity attacks until the DM hates me more than kobolds hate you.
    Stupid thing...quite a lot of undead and vampires in this quest. Hmmm.... decisions, decisions.
    Some good advice?
    It's been awhile since I have read any of the 3.5 rules but I have seen this exact fighting style in a pnp game I was in years ago. Now I can't remember if this was a special feat or just part of the tripping rules but after you trip someone with say... a spiked chain, you get a free attack on said victim. If I remember correctly it is not an attack of opportunity. With that said, and your character have some rogue lvls, each one of those free attacks should be a sneak attack. The victim of the trip is now lying prone and is denied their dex bonus to ac which (if I remember correctly, it's been a long time since I have played) is one condition that qualifies as a sneak attack. Now your GM is really going to hate you.

  8. #8
    Community Member Chai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, birthplace of D&D
    Posts
    20,954

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Montrose View Post
    Two rolls with 4d6 drop the lowest would get you much closer, for sure.

    With 3d6 straight-up, the odds are highly against it having happened (at least by hand). Look at it this way. If you generated 6 stats every second of every day of every week it would take you 3.2 million years to generate 6 18's.

    101559956668416 combinations / 1 combiantion a second / 60 seconds a minute / 60 minutes an hour / 24 hours a day / 7 days a week / 52 weeks a year = 3,229,292.5 years
    Thats how long it would take you to see every combination for every stat.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

  9. #9
    Community Member donfilibuster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4,452

    Default

    We only usd 3d6 back in 2e, best we had was a friend that rolled 18 18 18 17 15 and went paladin.
    On the other hand we got the infamous triple 20 on a red dragon, to the horror of the DM.

  10. #10
    Community Member Bekki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Tending bar for the MuskAteers
    Posts
    11,730

    Default

    I got close... Once.

    About the same as the poster above...

    18, 18, 18, 17, 16, And when I was done my Dm took me aside and we talked it out..
    We decided it would highly unbalance the party so, he was made a friendly NPC...

    I walked away with a sense of pride, and re rolled...
    Didn't do as well the second time...
    But I actually wound up with a character that was much more fun to play...

    Sometimes the flaws in a character, make the character...



    Bekki.
    Official Muskateers Bartender
    Proud Officer of Acme Fighting Co.
    "It's a dangerous business, going out of your door, Frodo my boy." He used to say. "You step into the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." ~ Frodo Baggins (Quoting Bilbo Baggins)

  11. #11
    The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council
    LrdSlvrhnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,081

    Default

    I've rolled 4 18s, a 17, and a 16... in front of the GM. Using 3d6.

    Lemme tell ya, that was one kick-ass bard.

    The funny thing is, he had me reroll in front of him because my original stats were 18, 18, 17, 16, 16, 14 or somesuch. He didn't believe I hadn't fudged stuff... so I rolled even better.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

  12. #12
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    7,870

    Default

    I remember that I used to love BGI and I'd sit for a fair bit of time rerolling until I got the stats that I wanted.

    One time I remember that I rolled 18,18,18,10,18,15 or something which was the best that I ever saw. Fun character to play.

  13. #13
    Community Member Ugumagre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Masseurhanz View Post
    It's been awhile since I have read any of the 3.5 rules but I have seen this exact fighting style in a pnp game I was in years ago. Now I can't remember if this was a special feat or just part of the tripping rules but after you trip someone with say... a spiked chain, you get a free attack on said victim. If I remember correctly it is not an attack of opportunity. With that said, and your character have some rogue lvls, each one of those free attacks should be a sneak attack. The victim of the trip is now lying prone and is denied their dex bonus to ac which (if I remember correctly, it's been a long time since I have played) is one condition that qualifies as a sneak attack. Now your GM is really going to hate you.
    Bwahaha... yes, I was also thinking on improved trip feat, to get a +4 to the trip attacks. And yes, I also think that I get a sneak attack.

    To the topic... amazing rolls!! I think the one I rolle yesterday (see above) is the best I have ever rolled.
    Another pretty good one was in Rolemaster something like 100, 98 and 95, the rest ****.
    Goat, Sammich, Poultry

  14. #14
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    91

    Default

    me and 2 of my friends had all stats 18 we were rolling 6d20 ofc 18,19,20 was an 18 but sometimes we could roll 1 or 2 also.. my worst character in this system was a rogue named Vezyr he had stats
    9 str
    12 dex
    5 con
    5 int
    5 wis
    6 charisma

    i really liked this char but my friend broken my legs than killed me with his sword, dont really know why he did it.. probabbly because he doesnt liked me and i was weak.. so i couldnt do anything to him..

  15. #15
    The Hatchery stoerm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    I fully expected this to be a complaint thread about the +3 tomes people have allegedly amassed from the u12 exploit.

    I guess I've become a bit too jaded.

  16. #16
    Community Member Ugumagre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,547

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stoerm View Post
    I fully expected this to be a complaint thread about the +3 tomes people have allegedly amassed from the u12 exploit.

    I guess I've become a bit too jaded.
    We are talking about babes in shroud!!! Please read the thread!!!
    Goat, Sammich, Poultry

  17. #17
    Community Member Baloran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    252

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by LrdSlvrhnd View Post
    I've rolled 4 18s, a 17, and a 16... in front of the GM. Using 3d6.
    I once had a set of these dices as well...


  18. #18
    Community Member mobrien316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New England, USA
    Posts
    2,081

    Default

    The probability of rolling a six 18 times in a row (3d6 each for six ability scores) is 1/6 to the 18th power.

    The answer is 9.83 to the negative 15th power, or a 0.00000000000000983% chance. You could translate that to one time in ten trillion chances.
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

    Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

  19. #19
    Community Member Montrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,269

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Thats how long it would take you to see every combination for every stat.
    Edit: Just realized you were talking about the math on the length of time.

    Yes, that is how long it would take to see every combination, assuming a guarentee of no duplicates. Of course, the actual time to roll 6 18's would take 1 second if you got very lucky, or infinite time if you did not. I agree my explanation could have been clearer in that regard.
    Last edited by Montrose; 11-15-2011 at 11:07 AM.
    You may know me as: Gannot, Gonnet, Gunnet, Ginnet, Gaxxat, Gennot, Gannut, Gxnnxt, Horseface, Izzayhay, Pailmaster, Artifactual, Gynnet and/or Barred. What? I like alts.

  20. #20
    Community Member Aeolwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    On the outside, looking in
    Posts
    902

    Default

    Rolled it twice on my life. Once for a PC I was playing with 3 witnesses. 2nd time was for an NPC villain I was creating with 1 witness lol. Melinak still warrants curses and threats from my old gaming friends lol.

    I've also had a 60pt fireball on 10d6, and my longest 20 streak was 11. My longest fumble/1 streak is 17. Yes, 17 rolls in a row with a 1, live game, same dice as the 20 streak. Was with a Vorpal sword as well. Needless to say, heads rolled....the rest of the parties heads and 3 prisoners & 2 refugees...
    Aeolwind (5/12) - 18 Sorc/1 Art | Melisandria - 20 Fighter SD | Anlona - 20 cleric RS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload