Default Epic Devil Assault

My holy silver of lawful outsider bane handles the vast majority of mobs fine, except the eles. What's the best weapon for them, including the first boss? Crafter levels 54/48/51, but I can have a friend make me a (non-holy) burst shard unbound.

Icy Burst of Elemental Bane seems like the obvious choice, but do any of the fire elementals in eDA (esp. the first boss) have cold resist?

Finger of Death for all except Hellfire, who is so weak you can just use a mediocre weapon on him.

Those eles have low saves, high HP and high DR - a combination that makes meleeing them very inefficient. As a melee, you'll have other targets to work on, particularly Tiefling Spellbows, Tiefling Master Warlocks and the like.

Yep, my strategy so far has been to completely ignore the eles and focus on the lawful outsiders. The reason I ask is because the first boss (fire ele) is usually still standing (and ~50% health) by the time us melees finish off the trash mobs around it, so I do end up meleeing the boss for a bit. I'd like to improve my dps in that situation.

EDIT: I kicked up my elemental crafting level to 58, so all set with elemental burst shards.

Took my shiny new Icy Burst of Elemental Bane into tonight's eDA run. In this run, the melees ended up having to deal with about half of the trash mob eles, and when we got to Hell Fire he was at full strength.

Turns out, trash mobs have enough cold resist as to be immune to icy burst; just an endless stream of 0s with the little frost icon. Hell Fire, OTOH, took nice satisfying purple damage from it.

My philosophy is pretty much always to craft weapons for bosses and largely ignore trash mobs, so in that respect the weapon is fine. For epics, though, trash mobs have enough hp to make it annoying not to max out dps. Even still, I think I'll just stick with the icy burst since the trash mobs usually do get handled by the casters. At least once Hell Fire spawns I'll know that I've done everything I can to help contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by EllisDee37 View Post
    Took my shiny new Icy Burst of Elemental Bane into tonight's eDA run. In this run, the melees ended up having to deal with about half of the trash mob eles, and when we got to Hell Fire he was at full strength.

Turns out, trash mobs have enough cold resist as to be immune to icy burst; just an endless stream of 0s with the little frost icon. Hell Fire, OTOH, took nice satisfying purple damage from it.

My philosophy is pretty much always to craft weapons for bosses and largely ignore trash mobs, so in that respect the weapon is fine. For epics, though, trash mobs have enough hp to make it annoying not to max out dps. Even still, I think I'll just stick with the icy burst since the trash mobs usually do get handled by the casters. At least once Hell Fire spawns I'll know that I've done everything I can to help contribute.
    Fire elemental tend to cast protection from cold on them self...
    If you want go full dps, vicious of greater elemental bane + icy burst when risia is back
    Thelanis -> D 20bbn (TR 1) | H 11rgr/7mnk/2ftr+2 (TR 1) | K 20bbn+3 (TR 3) | K 15pal/3mnk/2ftr (TR 1) | M 20+1 fvs (TR 2) | S 8mnk/12pal (TR 2)
    Gimped -> B 20wiz | Work in progress -> B (TR 1) 6rgr/6bbn/1rog | B (TR2) 14fs I drop BB; I don't HJEEEAL (:

Quote Originally Posted by maha0201 View Post
    If you want go full dps, vicious of greater elemental bane + icy burst when risia is back
    I don't think vicious is well-suited for epics. Maybe a shocking burst might be a nice compromise, though it probably wouldn't hurt air eles so its utility as an all-purpose ele beater may not be great. True Law of ele bane, maybe.

True Law/Chaos is a good compromise for Neutral targets, and is often my choice for Elementals and Constructs.
    The Theorybuild Author
    Quote Originally Posted by twinstronglord View Post
    Up to this point we've all been beating around the bush. Lolth has a very small box in which you can hit her.

I craft a lot of weapons, but for ellies, I try to find random banishing weapons wherever possible, seems more effective than the banes.

Quote Originally Posted by TPICKRELL View Post
    I craft a lot of weapons, but for ellies, I try to find random banishing weapons wherever possible, seems more effective than the banes.
    Still looking for some mythical Banishing of Greater Elemental Bane... Someday they'll turn up.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

I don't think vicious is well-suited for epics. Maybe a shocking burst might be a nice compromise, though it probably wouldn't hurt air eles so its utility as an all-purpose ele beater may not be great. True Law of ele bane, maybe.
    Personally I'm usually happy to see someone use Vicious weapons when healing Epics.

The player might take 50 damage over the time required to kill a mob, but the mob usually dies a little faster - often preventing a cleave attack that might have done 60 damage to each of 3 players.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Personally I'm usually happy to see someone use Vicious weapons when healing Epics.

The player might take 50 damage over the time required to kill a mob, but the mob usually dies a little faster - often preventing a cleave attack that might have done 60 damage to each of 3 players.
    Worth considering.

I have a little time, though, since the ridiculous crafting ingredients for elemental bane mean I'm stuck with what I have for the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenalth View Post
    Still looking for some mythical Banishing of Greater Elemental Bane... Someday they'll turn up.
    One of the happiest DDO moments for me was when I found icy bursted banishing wraps of GEB for like 200k on the AH
    Comfortably [d|n]umb

Toons: Weirdly || Inbound || Samma || Ocular || Annoyed || Stinkpelt of Khyber
    WanderLust EuroTrash

My holy silver of lawful outsider bane handles the vast majority of mobs fine, except the eles. What's the best weapon for them, including the first boss? Crafter levels 54/48/51, but I can have a friend make me a (non-holy) burst shard unbound.

Icy Burst of Elemental Bane seems like the obvious choice, but do any of the fire elementals in eDA (esp. the first boss) have cold resist?
    If you can get your hands on a [something] of regular/greater elemental bane and then Icy Burst that when the Risian games come back, that will be your best bet. That way, you can have two prefixes instead of just one.

Or just pull out your Lit II weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by gloopygloop View Post
    If you can get your hands on a [something] of regular/greater elemental bane and then Icy Burst that when the Risian games come back, that will be your best bet. That way, you can have two prefixes instead of just one.

Or just pull out your Lit II weapons.
    That's a solid idea, I'll keep my eye out.

Unfortunately the lit 2 is still in progress. I only have 1 LDS right now, and the combination of the u12 shroud changes and exploiters destroying the market for LDS, it'll probably be months before I get my lit2.

Tonight sucked. First a failed shroud when one of the clerics was killed by blades immediately in p4 while the other's heals weren't landing due to lag. Wipe.

Then we went for eDA, had a 42 dc caster so we thought we were good to go. The caster decided to keep disco balls going at all the portals, meaning he ran out of mana after about three waves. After the inevitable wipe we tried again, suggesting to just disco ball the center. This time he (and the sorc) ran out of mana after four waves, wipe.

So we joined another shroud. After 30 minutes of waiting for a second healer, I finally gave up. Terrible night all around.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by maha0201 View Post
    Fire elemental tend to cast protection from cold on them self...

wait if i get that right cannith crafting and risia stack? aka i can add the icy burst to any cannith crafted item?

{oops just noticed the date, sorry for the necro >_<" }

Sharp sword, short temper, any questions?
    I'm The Doctor so basically.. Run!

Banishing is my weapon of choice as it does more damage even than greater elemental bane and works on all sorts of other stuff as well including beholders, and also i think the devils themselves.

I was lucky enough to find a banishing of regular elemental bane which i icy bursted. Only downside is it's a shortbow instead of a longbow. Still i'm anxious to try it out on some fire ellies.

I also picked up an ml 21 banishing of superior heartseeker longbow which i haven't tested but i believe should work on ellies since bleed does.

Edit: i only just noticed the necro myself. I'm guessing Ellisdee no longer crafts at level 50.
    Last edited by FestusHood; 01-29-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Heh, nope, not crafting at level 50 anymore.

The character that spawned this thread now has a +1 banishing maul of greater elemental bane with risia frost, ML14. While I had plenty of mats to burst it, being a maul and without improved crit: bludgeon it didn't seem worth the trip to the harbor.

wait if i get that right cannith crafting and risia stack? aka i can add the icy burst to any cannith crafted item?
    Cannith items are not considered random, and you cannot put Risia on them.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.