Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1750 favor. Finally.

For the first time ever in permadeath, I have a character with 1750 favor. Although this may be a dime a dozen in some PD guilds, in Mortal Voyage this is the first character to achieve it since rules revisions in 2009. Mepta arrived in Stormreach Dec 2010.

Mepta
    http://my.ddo.com/character/argonnessen/mepta/

I haven't chosen a tome yet. Torn between adding even more strength or constitution.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Congrats Parvo!!!

I have always admired your dedication to PD and that's quite an accomplishment!
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    there will always be bugs in DDO it will never be bug free at any point in its lifetime.

Founder & Hero
    2016 DDO Players Council

congrats

Beware the Sleepeater

Grats!
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Is this the first time you've unlocked 32 point builds or did you buy it from the store?

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Is this the first time you've unlocked 32 point builds or did you buy it from the store?
    Purchased a long time ago. When 32 point builds were new and I was playing in Sublime, I took a break from PD and zerged 1750 favor. Took six weeks to do, wasn't fun but wasn't horrible either. When I started Mortal Voyage on Argo, I didn't have 32 point builds. I had a few characters get within 200-300 favor before dying. Didn't have any desire to PUG it out in "normal" play again. When it came available, I purchased. Only a couple of players "earned" 32 point builds in Mortal Voyage and that was prior to rules revisions in 2009.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

They are only a dime a dozen for most players nowdays due to the greater number of quests available. Previous to FTP 1750 favor was alot harder, due to not being able to avoid specific quests that were a PITA to complete unless you had solid players in the group, or doing the quests way over level.

I wish there were more tiers that gave rewards that could be used by the toon, rather than just unlocking account level features. It was more fun that way IMO. It encourages players to run the favor on all toons rather than just one to unlock account features.

Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    ...I wish there were more tiers that gave rewards that could be used by the toon, rather than just unlocking account level features. It was more fun that way IMO. It encourages players to run the favor on all toons rather than just one to unlock account features.
    In Mortal Voyage the +2 Tome is reason enough. As far as I know, in MV, no one has ever pulled a +2 Tome as loot. This is my goal on every character.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    In Mortal Voyage the +2 Tome is reason enough. As far as I know, in MV, no one has ever pulled a +2 Tome as loot. This is my goal on every character.
    Sure, but now with alot more quests than there used to be there should be more rewards that are sought after by every toon rather than just needing to be unlocked on one toon, in the total favor pool.

We see this in the separate faction pool. For instance, each toon benefits from getting tier 1 and 2 coin lord favor as they get more personal storage.

At the total favor level however, most of the benefits are geared toward unlocking stuff once per account.

As a side note, tome level thresholds just got dropped with u12. We might see more +2s and the occasional +3 which used to be raid loot only.

Sure, but now with alot more quests than there used to be there should be more rewards that are sought after by every toon rather than just needing to be unlocked on one toon, in the total favor pool.

We see this in the separate faction pool. For instance, each toon benefits from getting tier 1 and 2 coin lord favor as they get more personal storage.

At the total favor level however, most of the benefits are geared toward unlocking stuff once per account.

As a side note, tome level thresholds just got dropped with u12. We might see more +2s and the occasional +3 which used to be raid loot only.
    If no favor were rewarded for characters over the level of the quest, I would agree.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Default very nice

gratz Parvo

*golf clap*

If no favor were rewarded for characters over the level of the quest, I would agree.
    That doesnt make any sense. Players would have to literally hold their XP for more than half the quests they run until they ran the rest at their level just to get favor, for a reward that isnt even a fraction of icing on the cake. For doing soething that masochistic, they should be rewarded the entire cake.

That doesnt make any sense. Players would have to literally hold their XP for more than half the quests they run until they ran the rest at their level just to get favor, for a reward that isnt even a fraction of icing on the cake. For doing soething that masochistic, they should be rewarded the entire cake.
    "Cleaning up favor" is not worthy of reward. The current policy is an entitlement.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member kafrielveddicus's Avatar

Cool

I Love Favor!
    Guild: PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda Level 63, Website: http://valhallans.proboards.com/
    Casualnarc Epic TR 2nd Life Level 9, Repentnarc 16, Gatlingnarc 15, Snipernarc 14, Banknarc 13, Airnarc 12, Braverynarc 11, Lednarc 11, Tempestnarc 11, Holynarc 9, Repeatnarc 6, Ebuttonnarc 6 <-ALL WITH ZERO DEATHS

"Cleaning up favor" is not worthy of reward. The current policy is an entitlement.
    Oberoni.

The game is designed this way, unfortunate as it may be.

My oberoni is that I dont believe running stuff at level +2 is considered an "elite" run, even though the game is also designed for this. There are a few quests which still may be somewhat challenging, but most are trivialized by running them with characters 2 levels over the number on the door, while holding almost 2 more levels of XP.

The game is rewarding us for being level 5, running level 3 quests, to get to level 7, by holding level 6 until we are one point away from level 7.

"Cleaning up favor" - the game is literally designed for just that, and thus reinforced with the bravery bonus by gaining huge bonus to XP for doing just what I outlined. With not being able to go back and get favor that was missed, players would have to forego tons of XP. While this may reinforce some peoples playstyles, it would not be a good business decision to limit players as such, as a much larger percentage of the gaming population play for character advancement level wise and gear wise.
    Last edited by Chai; 11-14-2011 at 10:37 AM.

Oberoni.

The game is designed this way, unfortunate as it may be.

My oberoni is that I dont believe running stuff at level +2 is considered an "elite" run, even though the game is also designed for this. There are a few quests which still may be somewhat challenging, but most are trivialized by running them with characters 2 levels over the number on the door, while holding almost 2 more levels of XP.

The game is rewarding us for being level 5, running level 3 quests, to get to level 7, by holding level 6 until we are one point away from level 7.

"Cleaning up favor" - the game is literally designed for just that, and thus reinforced with the bravery bonus by gaining huge bonus to XP for doing just what I outlined. With not being able to go back and get favor that was missed, players would have to forego tons of XP. While this may reinforce some peoples playstyles, it would not be a good business decision to limit players as such, as a much larger percentage of the gaming population play for character advancement level wise and gear wise.
    If you think it's better to run waterworks elite with a level twenty than a level five, fine by me. I don't want to play with anyone who does that. That's why I created a guild that doesn't. Mortal Voyage rules help ensure character advancement is an accomplishment. Favor included. As far as business decisions go, Turb should create a good game and let the business take care of itself.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

If you think it's better to run waterworks elite with a level twenty than a level five, fine by me. I don't want to play with anyone who does that. That's why I created a guild that doesn't. Mortal Voyage rules help ensure character advancement is an accomplishment. Favor included. As far as business decisions go, Turb should create a good game and let the business take care of itself.
    Waterworks at level 3 and 4, rather than at levels 5 and 6 holding enough xp to almost be 8.

And as for "good game" you will find three things.

1. That "good" is a matter of opinion.
    2. That even if you put all PDers in the same boat, they are FAR outnumbered by those who play for character advancement.
    3. Business does NOT take care of itself in the MMO world, nor the software world.

The game is designed, and modified from time to time, with the majority in mind. Ruling against the way it was designed and claiming its better, is oberoni.

In a NWN-esque environment where the server master has complete control, we could have our way, however, in an MMO like this where the content design and degree of challenge is controlled by a for profit business, that business will be shaped to please the majority.

Waterworks at level 3 and 4, rather than at levels 5 and 6 holding enough xp to almost be 8.

And as for "good game" you will find three things.

1. That "good" is a matter of opinion.
    2. That even if you put all PDers in the same boat, they are FAR outnumbered by those who play for character advancement.
    3. Business does NOT take care of itself in the MMO world, nor the software world.

The game is designed, and modified from time to time, with the majority in mind. Ruling against the way it was designed and claiming its better, is oberoni.

In a NWN-esque environment where the server master has complete control, we could have our way, however, in an MMO like this where the content design and degree of challenge is controlled by a for profit business, that business will be shaped to please the majority.
    If you believe characters should run quests at level, make that a rule. Regardless of who the game is designed for, a simple set of rules can re-form the environment into one with more consistent challenge.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

My second 1750 favor character achieved this last night. Depta is an elf conjuration archmage with two levels of rogue (11/2 wizard/rogue). My DDO does not display this character correctly. Thanks to the great groups and many heroic deeds of my companions.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Grats PArvo!
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast