Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mabar Issues

Community Member

Default Mabar Issues

The Mabar event needs to be revamped for next time, some suggestions:

1. 20,000 turn in to launch the dragon event is far too many. The limiting factor becomes scales, and motes become worthless because people dont have the scales to use them. If motes aren't a real motivation theres no point in farming them, which means people wont.. and no Dragon. This is a balance that needs looking into.

YOUR LIMITING ECONOMIC BOTTLENECK SHOULD BE MOTES NOT SCALES!!!!!

2. I failed 2 of my last 3 dragon attempts. The reason for those failures are as follows.

2A. The first failure, there were simply not enough people in the instance. I believe in the entire event we had 14 people. Considering the riduclous amount of effort needed to launch the raid I would think that the difficulty of the raid could be made to scale for smaller groups?
    2B. In my second failure We had the opposite. We had 6+ people per room and 2 on each lever, and we all simply lagged solid. Dragon and gargoyles wiped the floor with us.

Some of this is just design issues with the Mabar event itself, and I have high hopes that lessons learned in the new challenges system will be applicable next time, but if they aren't.

IF YOU CAN'T GET THE MABAR EVENT TO WORK DO NOT HOLD THE MABAR EVENT. THROWING A NON-FUNCTIONAL EVENT JUST TO FRUSTRATE YOUR PLAYERS IS AN UNWISE DECISION.

I have plenty of scales, and I was farming motes to finish a couple if items. Motes were my bottleneck, not scales.
    I also had no lag to speak of the entire week, nor did we fail a single dragon.
    Different players, different experiences.

Agreed,

small instances and lag is terrible.

Splitting parties in to multiple instances is a pain as well.

If it is due to aoe like dancing balls and summoned pets, then dont allow those to be activated.

Reducing the mote drop was detrimental, especially to those that purchased draughts for 500 motes and realized that they were collecting back about the same amount making the draught useless to most toons.(exclude nuking casters).

Have the oil of incadescance have a draught effect. only usefull to melee's.

Additional items to entice classes other than Monks and Necro Pale Masters would be usefull as well.

Improvements need to be made, the lessons should have been learned from last year and not repeated again this year with no apparent improvements.
    Last edited by JOTMON; 11-02-2011 at 12:45 PM.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(Completionist - before the Otto's/XP pots easymode), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-Epic Completionist), Whatthetruck.. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

2014 DDO Players Council Flavilandile's Avatar

Didn't even bother with it after last week preview.

Until ( and unless ) they make a huge revamp of the whole thing it's not worth the time.

- Too long to get the dragon.
    - Delera camping.
    - Stupid 24+ people instance.
    - Loot that is way beyond it's prime.

What I would suggest is :
    - Between 5K and 10K turn ins for the dragon to come back, starting immediatly at door closure ( and not the idiotic 20 minutes timer ).
    - Make all the undeads on the server drop turn ins at a decent rate. That way we can collect turn ins while doing Wizard King ( for example ) instead of camping in Central Delera Graveyard with our Wizards, Sorcerors and Clerics to blast any spawn.
    - Revamp of the Dragon instance to a standard raid instance. Only raid parties can enter ( with the relevant key for each member, and they enter in their own instance ) thus keeping the lag in check and making it possible to actually experience the dragon with friends. Adding some XP upon completion would be great.
    - revamp of the loot to add more items.

All in all, Mabar is an event I'm going to skip ( like Ice games ) because it doesn't bring anything new and is more annoying than anything else.

The Cove is way more fun, even if I have so many cove items that I'm storing them in the bank .
    On G-Land : Flavilandile, Blacklock, Yaelle, Millishande, Larilandile, Gildalinde, Tenalafel, and many other...

Overall I don't have much to complaint about with the event. Had lag issues during preview, but not during the actual run.

However, I do have a suggestion regarding the effort to open the doors. I would suggest that the mote count be scaled as determined based on the current server population. Calculate a mote total when the count down is ready to start. That way event would be much more friendly to non-primetime players.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Founder

I agree. My experiences with the Dragon were small (since it didn't open much) and ranged from smooth, to so much lag we only moved 5 times until failure, to a whole 5 people in the raid.

Also, I got the free Midnight Draught from the store and got an extra 125 motes on my 11 Cleric Radient Servant. No comments from "professional" level 20 grinders who get 2000 or more per hour please. I don't take the game that seriously and I would bet that most others don't either.

Good thing I didn't trade motes for that pot.

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

I generally like Mabar (though I do like it a bit less this time around) and I have no personal complaints; I've been pretty successful with gathering motes and running the dragon raid. But, I recognize that it has some clear issues and if it's a recurring event I think the complaint level from the player base will only increase. I think they should consider changes to the following items, in no particular order:

- number of turn-ins to open the dragon chamber: for all the reasons stated multiple times, it just makes the progress of the whole event seem slow.

- chamber instances that are under-filled: yes, it gives you a warning and the option to leave, but that's fairly unsatisfying if you've waited for hours and the only other option is to stay in an instance with only 10 people (you fail in that case, FYI, a lone level 12 cleric is a bit overmatched protecting an altar room all by herself...). Some kind of algorithm for balancing numbers across instances would be quite welcome, I imagine, if technically possible.

- collectible mechanics: the primary way to get motes is to kill undead, which encourages the wrong kind of zero-sum competition between players. The nice thing about the Cove was that the gems gave you more than enough doubloons to build your items.

- the number of items: the short list of items just seems disappointing now that Mabar is no longer new and shiny. Adding a bunch of similarly themed gear could add some excitement back to the event, in my opinion.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

I find the most horrible thing wrong with Mabar other than all the other things wrong with it is they didn't include everyones favorite gang of wrestling undead.

Los Lichadores

Epic masked bosses cage match > spectral dragon. They already have the cages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan View Post
    DO NOT DO THIS. We are investigating.

Community Member

Not much to add here as the suggestions and experiences are pretty much what I would have said and have experienced this year.

If the lag issue cannot be fixed and they still want to run this event, it seems like a large reduction in the number of turn-ins necessary to make the dragon spawn would be appropriate so as to not make each run crucially important. If there are only, say, 6 runs on a server per day (no data- just tossing a number out there) with four of them coming during prime time, that isn't very many chances to get the scales you need to upgrade your items, so each run is much more important than it should be.

A couple of possible alternatives:

1) Allow trading of Vampire Fangs- or Lich Dust, for that matter- for Dragon Scales.

2) Make Dragon Scales the top tier ingrediant in upgrading items rather than Lich Dust so you'll need one (or two- whatever) only to make the Epic version of a particular item.

Community Member Synnestar35791's Avatar

Default Annotation

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    I have plenty of scales, and I was farming motes to finish a couple if items. Motes were my bottleneck, not scales.
    Different SERVERS different strokes ie. Orien experienced plenty of lagg issues, mainly because this server is overpopulated already.

Aside from Mabar, the traffic on Orien is substantial already, things like Events draw a lot more traffic than normal....

On your last point:
    I said motes were the bottleneck for me, but it was actually lich dust. In the entire week I saw two lichs spawn near me, and both times I was too far away to even attempt to get in on the action. I ended up buying the dust I needed.
    If you want to talk about offering options to trade up, create them all. People are complaining about not being able to trade for scales, but as I said, I didn't need scales. I needed everything else, with the exception of fangs.

Quote Originally Posted by Synnestar35791 View Post
    Different SERVERS different strokes ie. Orien experienced plenty of lagg issues, mainly because this server is overpopulated already.

Aside from Mabar, the traffic on Orien is substantial already, things like Events draw a lot more traffic than normal....
    Maybe you should have asked what server I was on before making that statement.

Last night it put TWO of us in one instance with the message of needing at least 14 or so players to complete...and of course we couldn't so....

and no way to change instanced or get in one with more players that I was aware of
    **As the Great Emu is one with the hill, so am I with the Great Emu.**
    PlatinumKnightsddo.us

Community Member arctic.vampire's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HAL View Post
    I agree. My experiences with the Dragon were small (since it didn't open much) and ranged from smooth, to so much lag we only moved 5 times until failure, to a whole 5 people in the raid.
    I just experienced this.

It's so much fun farming motes until the Chamber opens..
    You get to use that Ethereal Key that you worked so hard to get.
    Everyone spends 10 minutes getting set up.....

and I get to move 6 times before we see failed.....

Most infuriating thing I've experienced.

Hey Turbine,
    With all these new spiffy things you keep adding that cost TP, UPGRADE YOUR SERVERS

Quote Originally Posted by arctic.vampire View Post
    Hey Turbine,
    With all these new spiffy things you keep adding that cost TP, UPGRADE YOUR SERVERS
    Everyone tries to use this excuse all the time, but if it were a server issue then everyone would experience it.
    Not everyone experiences it, so it is not a server issue.

My guess is that the vast majority of players that complain about "lag" are running the game at non-optimal settings.
    I have a jerry-rigged computer that I built out of three broken computers two years ago, none of which were less than seven years old at the time I built it. Did I mention that I have no clue when it comes to computers? So I play on a jerry rigged home made system that is a decade old, built by an amateur.
    And I play on this system from a wireless connection.

If ANYONE should have ridiculous lag, it's me. And I hardly have any lag.
    Check your settings, and maybe do a fresh install.
    Last edited by Calebro; 11-02-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Community Member

Default Worst DDO experience = Revamp desperately needed

It's late, and I'm too tired to eloquently elaborate on all that I have to say about this event, but I have to say some of it.

I played Mabar for the first day it was out, and it was BY FAR the worst experience I've had with DDO, and the worst time I've spent playing the game.

-Tons of kill stealing going on.
    -Kill stealing being one of the most effective ways of getting motes quickly.
    -Playing courteously, being in a large group, often saw drop rates of about 1 item per two minutes. Ridiculously slow.
    -To find large spawn groups of mobs, there must be many players around. Since each player spawns about two mobs per 'cycle', it's too easy to inadvertently kill steal. (playing with a small group near another group is the highest risk of this).
    -Mote rates from the draught of undead-drop-motes are barely enough to balance out if you're farming undead like mad. And that's if you're the one killing them, not even if in a group.
    -Not enough items with real draw. The robe is only really good at 20, since that's the only one with the Boon of Undeath. Maybe a weaker boon healing for lvl 16 would make it more palatable. My friend with a PM opted to skip it since he feels Epic Diabolist is better. For the time it takes to farm one item, I'll take his word for it.
    -Wraps are nice. They're the one item I made. Would have like to make one of each level, but the time that would have taken? Heck no. Lvl 20 wraps was all.
    -Horrible time requirement for the items. If the event were a pleasure to participate in, this might not be so bad. But as I said, I did not enjoy my time in there. I completed one item to 20 in one day, and it took me ~14-16 hours. And it was that short because I spent a good amount of time duo-ing with a guildie using what I was later told were kill-stealing methods (so avoided that method after).
    -Even when trying to leave each group their own kills, it's hard to discern who spawned what, so there's often inadvertent kill stealing.
    -Cannot stand being faced with the decision of having slow farming rates (looking up at the clock and realizing how fast time is flying by when you're not enjoying the game is terrible), or making an *** out of myself to speed it up to a bearable pace.
    -Average of 6-10 hours between dragons? Are you serious? Totally ridiculous.
    -Horrible lag in the quest sometimes, and horrible server lag during dragon times. Not fun.
    -The novelty of the event wore off after an hour. Some of the text was nicely thematic, but not much. Compared to Crystal Cove, where even on my 30th run, I still laughed every time I saw/heard a Kobold go "...Wait a minute! Wait a minute!... Kobold suffer back pain!" (I worked in a unionized factory).
    -Event only up for about a week, adding to the 'Gotta rush to get everything needed, even if it takes being a complete jerk!' attitude and mindset. And when those folks show up, it becomes less fun.

So all in all, I hated the Mabar event, which is sad, because I had really been looking forward to it. Compare that to cove, which I didn't mind living a breathing for the two weeks it was up. I realize that even as is, those epic items are overall much easier/more guaranteed to be obtained vs. the standard epic items (which there aren't many comparable examples of, since it's only really a cloak, robe, and wraps[which are all nice for their uses]). But regular epic items you obtain by running quests, which is the nice standard DDO experience.

If it could be changed, I'd hope to see the overall mechanics of the event changed to one that does not reward kill stealing. Make scales trade-able for motes (even something like 250-500). Lower the turn it number. Find a way to address the lag. Maybe have a quest interface on the door that tells you the number of players in the dragon instance so you don't enter in to find only two other players.

I won't be setting foot in the event ever again unless it gets a major overhaul. I play this game for enjoyment, and my time in Mabar was the complete opposite.
    Main toons: Kessem (Caster), Grubbly (Melee)
    Proud Noob of Band of Gypsys on Khyber.

Community Member

there are no issues with Mabar, everything is perfect, its going DOWN today!

Community Member mikesharpshooter's Avatar

Default italian ranger AA experience about mabar

motes: 1000 about x hour (and i'm not good)
    fang, no problem. (and i'm not good)
    lich 16 kill with multishot (and i'm not good)
    dragon 15 scales, not lag in europe time (cannith) lag in deep night (usa game time) (and i'm not good)
    steal kill : sometimes take sometimes give.

bad: btc item will be useless fast until next november, need a mabar every 4 months

I am far from complaining, just mentioning that on Wayfinder the mabar dragon raid opens once every second day only. I have been lucky to be on 3 attempts all with not enough people, for example in the last one there were only two of us in the instance. We have alerted guild members and people we saw playing in Deleras and got a third player, but of course the dragon immediately teleported into the 4th room. So noone saw it, raid failed.

Beat this...

Cogdoc

Community Member arctic.vampire's Avatar

Everyone tries to use this excuse all the time, but if it were a server issue then everyone would experience it.
    Not everyone experiences it, so it is not a server issue.

My guess is that the vast majority of players that complain about "lag" are running the game at non-optimal settings.
    I have a jerry-rigged computer that I built out of three broken computers two years ago, none of which were less than seven years old at the time I built it. Did I mention that I have no clue when it comes to computers? So I play on a jerry rigged home made system that is a decade old, built by an amateur.
    And I play on this system from a wireless connection.

If ANYONE should have ridiculous lag, it's me. And I hardly have any lag.
    Check your settings, and maybe do a fresh install.
    Have you seen the threads on here with people complaining about the LAG in Mabar?
    It's simply not just a few users.. That's inane..

However...
    The last part of your response irks the hell outta me..

Guessing doesn't solve anything, so here is my circumstance:

My system is highly maintained.
    I've been building gaming pcs since Quake.
    My ping in mumble was a whopping 15. ( it's a VOIP aimed @ gamers, cheap too )
    My in game settings are optimal, with some things lowered to attain my lovely 120fps.
    I did a fresh install 2 months ago.
    I use the DDO Defragging tool, yes it works WONDERS on when you go to switching toons.
    I defrag weekly using Puran Defrag with a pre-boot defrag.

This was not my system freaking out.

Besides I don't think my settings are going to all of a sudden just freak everyone else's in the instance out.
    I was talking just fine in mumble..
    I use Steam, I could pull up the Steam overlay in DDO just fine.
    My guild mate experienced the exact same thing I did but he was trying to cast spells.
    We counted it off..
    Push the button to cast Blade Barrier... and 45 seconds later it might work..
    oh and it was never just me.
    There was always others in my instance who complained and lag...

Everyone in my instance, died.
    Why did we die.
    We ALL moved 5 steps then died.
    That is not a problem on my end.

I had no problem with outside the summoning area.
    Kill steals? Nah I can get enough on my own usually about 500 motes in 45 minutes if I got lucky usually 500 an hour.
    Vampire Fangs? No problem I earned a nice stash..
    Lich Dust? I got one, wasn't really looking for them honestly..

I did the spectral dragon just fine and dandy once.
    The whole event, every time I tried but once it was utter failure, besides the unlock requirements were simply redonkulous..

Special Events are supposed to be FUN.

Not being able to trade in Vampire Fangs for Motes/Lich Dust/Dragon Scales is stupid.
    Not being able trade Lich Dust for Motes/Vampire Fangs / Dragon Scales is stupid.
    10000 motes for a Spectral Dragon Scale when you cannot complete the event because of things happening outside of your control is flat out enraging.

Turbine,
    Mabar has left a bad taste in the mouth of many of your customers.
    Please do something to remedy this or some of us will find better things to spend our monies on..
    You can bet that if they do Festivult and it's this bad, I'll just go play LoL or TF2 until it's over.
    Last edited by arctic.vampire; 11-03-2011 at 07:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast