Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1,001 tips for success in DDO

1. HP, HP, HP. I don't care if you're a wizard, a barb, a rogue, or anything... if you don't have enough HP to survive basic attacks, then you're the one losing on DPS and heals and stuff. Start at a base of 14 CON.
    2. Fortification is important! No, not fortitude. Fortification can turn a nasty 200 point crit hit into a measly 50 point hit. Heavy Fortification can help you survive a lot more.
    3. Don't move when you enter Hound of Xoriat.
    4. Learn self-sufficiency. Carrying a stack of remove curse potions allows you to easily remove those nasty curses and get back into the fighting.
    5. Pay attention! Don't bring trash unneccessarily to your party that knows they can't handle it. Also, your HP can be low but if you don't pay attention to it, then you'll be dead because you didn't know that you were at 30 HP.

That's all I have.
    Robi's Free to Play Guide
    Khyber... DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA
    I play as: Nagasnake, Olmanjenkins, Tyrogan, Chicobo, Torriin, Kensaito, Koruna, and Goldenac.

Community Member

6. Read LFM's
    6.1 If the lfm has acronyms or words you don't understand, send a tell asking.
    6.2 If it says BYOH (Bring your own heals), Zerg (fast), know the quest, or anything that doesn't sound "casual" and you are a casual player, think twice about clicking on it
    6.3 If the lfm is total BS (ie: a random low level quest for level 20's and the comments say random things) assume the lfm is reserved until you get a tell from the leader saying it isn't.

7. State that you are a first timer if you are, not doing so and screwing something up will cause a lot more issues for you.
    Last edited by Darknark; 10-27-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Gordy - A Tribe Called Zerg - Cannith
    Agordmil - Agordmils - Byoh - Crocodylia - Schrödingers - MooseAlert - Zufallig - Mooselicker
    Solo ToD (Arcane) no pots preMotu

Community Member TheHolyDarkness's Avatar

8. Have a plan. Download the crafting planner and the character planner from the forums.
    9. If you are a caster, work on your DCs. They mean much more in the long run than just your damage.
    10. Don't annoy the healer.
    11. Don't lash the healer.
    12. If you are a healer, the ones with the most HP are your bestest friends.
    13. If you are a healer and encounter someone completely subpar in the HP department whose prone to constantly dying, learn to try to let him stay dead before you end up running completely dry.
    14. If you are a caster, why aren't you carrying haste and rage as soon as they became availiable?! Think of a hasty raged team as its own, self-guided fireball!
    15. Know when to not summon "pets."
    16. Healing amp is your friend.

~TheHolyDarkness Out~
    "A man can remake the entire world, if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind."

Community Member

17. New folks--stay with the group.
    18. Until you know the quest, avoid flipping switches and levers.
    19. Have fun!
    19a. Fun for you and fun for someone else may be totally different things.

Community Member Book_O_Dragons's Avatar

20. Carry Haste and Rage potions, the caster in the party can't allways be in the same place a you are.
    21. Tip your healers, they will welcome Major SP Potions or the plat to buy them. They will welcome you to their groups if they think you might.
    21a. Remember that a failed raid is often more expensive on the healers than a sucess and tips are much less common then.
    22. Carry a couple hundred Cure Serious Wounds potions. Healers approve when you drink them after the fight.
    23. Remove Curse potions will remove the Healing Curse debuff
    23a. This will happen in a couple of raids.
    24. The potions from the guild vendors can be used in a Barbarian rage or while madstoned.
    24a. These are are bound and can't be traded.
    25. Spell boost clickies won't stack with constant boosts but are 15% per tier rather than 10%.
    25a. Efficacity is the exception at 10% per tier.
    26. Mummy Rot is cured by Remove Curse then Remove Disease.
    27. If a potion's description says it has a funnel unbound versions will work as described.
    27a. Guild potions can't be used like this (see 24a).
    28. Madstone boots have a unlisted guard effect that will prevent spellcasting. The potency on the boots may be nice but it is deadly. Don't take them instead put them up for roll to others.
    29. To roll on raid loot the command is /roll #d##. The number before the d is the number of dice rolled the number after is the highest number possible. After that ±# may be added to modify the result.
    29a. The standard roll is /roll 1d100 if no other numbers are specified.
    The worst problem on the DDO forums right now

Primary Server: Khyber ~~~ Officer in Knights of Kern

Community Member

0. Remember this is a game, whatever you do, play to have fun.

0a. If you are having fun, don't let anyone tell you that your playstyle, build, whatever don't work.
    -- Celben 20/5 Cleric -- Dhoh 20 Barbarian -- Ghorgal 20/3 Fighter -- Mhysterious 20 Sorcerer - Perfekto 20 Bard -- Phatality 20/5 Wizard -- Proque 16 Rogue -- Roboarcher 16 Artificer -- Slithis 20 Ranger -- Tiarana 17 Barbarian, 4th Life -- Ugok 13 Fighter -- Xhenophobe 20/2 Wizard -- Yeung 9 Monk -- Zaturn 13 Favored Soul, 4th Life --

872. Even if you THINK these aren't the droids you're looking for, detain them anyways until you can get a 2nd opinion.
    I'm piking at work.
    I disarm traps........with my face!

30. Your loot is your loot, do with it as you please
    31. Need before greed, if it is somthing you really cant use give it away or put it up for roll, others are probably looking for it
    32. It's your loot, but prepare for the concequences associated with your actions. You loot the worthless (to you) raid loot on me (something i really need), next time we are grouped (if I will even let you in my party again) ill loot the item your looking for out of spite.
    33. The PURPLE bags on the groud are for everyone. You do not need to leave them on the ground to share, everyone gets their own bag on the screen. Ex: Say 6 people in the party, for every 1 bag that drops, 6 bags can be picked up, 1 by each player
    34. Breakables (barrels, boxes, crates, etc...) drop loot that is first come first serve, you didnt break it, give them a chance to pick it up first. They walk away, it's free game.
    35. Always have your own source of healing, Clercs and Favord Souls are therir to assist you, not be your babysitter every scratch you take.
    36. Minimum Con score 14, preferred Con score 16-18.. BEFORE ay + Con items.
    37. Enjoy the ittle things.. unless they are spiders, then just step on them.
    Last edited by Zzevel; 10-27-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Community Member

Default More tips for the newcomers

38. Get the Minos Helm for toughness and heavy fort.
    39. Carry stacks of remove curse pots and cure serious pots. Maybe even fire and acid resist pots if you are guildless.
    40. Make a Shroud 45 hitpoint item as your first greensteel.
    41. If you are new to the raid/quest - let the leader know. Most have no problem explaining the quest and holding your hand through your first run, just say something so us pug leaders can show you the ropes!
    42. Get DR breaking weapons as soon as you can (metalline of pure good). With cannith crafting a silver base weapon with a pure good shard is all you need.
    43. New to epics? Hit House P or House D epic pugs - they are the easiest.
    44. Don't talk smack - if you are running your first toon on its first life my.ddo.com will most likely be correct
    45. Stay away from LFMs for BYOH or Zerg or TR only etc. if you are new.
    46. Use a haggle item when vending loot if u haz no plat!
    47. Join a guild - they will usually help you get geared out faster and better.
    48. Don't roll on loot you cannot or will not use - it is rude and you name will be whispered and sullied through guild/chat channels.
    49. "/death count" will kill you!
    50. Most collectibles are useless. Bags that drop on epic or in the subt are the ones worth picking up. The sparkling collectibles are worth grabbing for cannith or stone of change crafting though!
    51. Do not buy veteran sheets or 32 point build from the store - they are easy to unlock with favor your first life before cap. Save your turbine points for content packs!
    52. The sands, gianthold, vale and amrath packs are the most important to own and should be purchased in that order.
    53. "/quest" will show you your epic and raid timers "/quest completions" will show you your raid completions.
    54. Don't listen to the min/maxers - flavor is FUN.

sorry if I duped any.
    Last edited by nebogloee; 10-27-2011 at 03:49 PM.

n+1) When in a raid you don't know, don't touch, talk or interact with anything unless told (Thinking VON here)
    n+2) Have the ability to rez at least once (shroud positive-positive is cheap)

Vordax

P.S. n=count(tips_in_prior_posts())

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post
    One of my friends plays occasionally, and finally got a toon to 20.

My best advice to him? Do nothing.

Don't talk to NPCs.
    Don't touch levers, doors, or portals.
    Don't open chests.
    Don't be the first to attack a mob, or the first into a room.
    He is a rogue, so as an added note : Inform people as to the existence of a trap, go so far as to search it out. Do not disarm it. At least, not immediately. Give pause, so someone can say something like "Uh... don't we need that trap active for [insert reason]?"

It's an amazing playstyle. Leveling my Rogue, I've had people ask me if I was going to unlock chests or not - I didn't realize they were locked chests, because I wouldn't touch them until I saw them already open.

But really, it works. Following those instructions, he plays great. I enjoy the same methodology, any time I don't have the star, and I've never found an instance in which I regretted it.
    Might as well Copy + Paste this. No sense in retyping what was already Gold Standard in the first place.

Community Member

741.) Listen the **** UP!
    742.) WATCH the ****ing TAIL!
    743.) Don't get feared into the Whelps!

Community Member

Be polite.
    Be efficient.
    Have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mournbladereigns View Post
    741.) Listen the **** UP!
    742.) WATCH the ****ing TAIL!
    743.) Don't get feared into the Whelps!
    744. Moar DoTs!
    745. Run to the center

55: No matter how poor you are, don't beg for money/equipment in general chat.

56: Holding CTRL lets you buy multiple items from vendors.

57: CRTL + drag lets you split a stack of items in your inventory.

666. If you don't know, just ask. If you are unfamiliar, just ask for help.

If you don't know what you are doing, don't act like you know what you are doing. Everyone that knows what they are doing knows that you don't know. It's easy to tell.
    The Fockers of Argo
    Fuglymofo; LOOON; Hobaggin; Fuglyrobo; Buttscracher; Whoaa

Community Member

1000. If you're a newbie cleric, you really want radiant servant at lvl 6 and radiant aura at lvl 12. Don't gimp your CHA because you use turn undead attempts to power them. And learn to leave Empower heal on when you have the Radiant Aura up; Emp Heal and your CHA score will increase the healing amount. (I am amazed how many clerics don't understand the Servant and Aura PrEs)

1001. Feather Fall is your friend. Get a clickie or a permanent item soonest.

Quote Originally Posted by RPGMasta View Post
    745. Run to the center
    Not if it's part 2 of the Shroud.

557.)Videos you should know:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtvIYRrgZ04
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJ...eature=related
    We want more Shavarath quests!

Please fix the Radiant Servant Burst!

Death is a traumatic experience.

http://thetobeus.com/DDO-TipsList.htm

Quote Originally Posted by BadBuy View Post
    +1. Awesome.
    Last edited by lhidda; 10-28-2011 at 06:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lhidda View Post
    Death is a traumatic experience.

http://thetobeus.com/DDO-TipsList.htm
    Needs some updates because some are no longer true like:
    71 A held or paralyzed monster will be automatically critically hit, regardless of your proficiency with a weapon.

Still the list is very usefull because there is often not enough time to read them while loading.
    We want more Shavarath quests!

Please fix the Radiant Servant Burst!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast