Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Founder Nysrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,329

    Question What Epics Should I Run?

    Even though I have been playing since beta I have a severe case of alt-itis. This condition has caused me to play many different builds but, as a side effect, I have ran very little Epic content.

    Now I know the best way to learn how to run these is by joining a good group and learning that way. But since I mainly run with my brother (who has even less experience then I do) I was wondering if anyone could throw out some ideas for Epic content that we could try to duo for a learning experience.

    Currently I am running a 20 Evoker FVS and he has a 20 Air Savant. Any advice on what quests might be the best for learning and any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    ... a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation,
    Even in the dragon's mouth.

  2. #2
    Community Member mistalley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    107

    Default

    As an evoker fvs, u can join a epic group in a healer spot and just do the heal, to learn how people run it, how the caster is doing crowd control and what strategies in some situations.

    After u learned the quests, u can give your brother some tips in this quests and you two are good to go.

    Some easiest epics: the snitch, claw of vulkoor,, partycrashers, maybe more, and these epics can even be done with 5 melees and 1 healer, so it should not be a problem for u and ur brother

  3. #3
    Founder Nysrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Thanks for the reply. I know I should join more Epic pugs but we wanted to try and duo some ourselves first to see how things go.

    Guess we'll try Snitch for our first run.
    ... a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation,
    Even in the dragon's mouth.

  4. #4
    Community Member callforkills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Duo epics first time is not a good idea, since you dont know any of the preffered tactics that in most cases make the epics quite easy.

    Other easy epic quests are: eBig Top and eBoB (Bargain of Blood)
    >P E S T I L E N C E<
    - Milcu - Miltank - Milcu-1 - Milskill - Milsong - Insanest -
    >T H E L A N I S<

  5. #5
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,240

    Default

    Good epics to start with are the Phiarlan and Deneith ones. From those packs Spies in the House and A Small Problem are the most difficult ones and rarely run, others are very easy.

    Next step is The Vault of Night and Red Fens, most commonly run ones are evon1, evon2 and evon6, from Fens people usually run Claw, Last Stand and Deeps.

    Then there's the desert which can actually be pretty difficult, Epic Chains of Flames and eDQ1 are generally regarded as the most difficult epic quests in the game. I regard them as the most fun epic quests in the game, but you might want to get some experience from the easier ones before trying them out

    There are all kinds of small things that are good to know in each specific epic quest, and unless you want to figure them out by yourselves it's probably a good idea to hit a pug lfm when you see one up and see how they're done.

  6. #6
    Founder Nysrock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Well I tried soloing The Snitch on Epic and got the end boss down to under 25% when I died.

    Luckily I found some people to join me and help on the end boss. Based on what I saw soloing, I think we should be able to get through that with not too much difficulties as a duo.

    One question though......Anyone know any good tactics/spells for that Crateous red-named? All I could hit him with was Blade Barrier and that took a LONG time.
    ... a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation,
    Even in the dragon's mouth.

  7. #7
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    If you are a FVS you need to hit Crateos with a smiter or construct bane as he's immune to light ;-) kiting through a BB will take FOREVER

    The Air Savant should be able to DoT him up - but he's going to have aggro. Crateos can hit pretty hard so you'll either need to find a way to physically block him or your savant will simply need to take it. This isn't too horrible if you know what you're doing - shield block, heal through the pain. Displacement helps.

    What server are you on?

    Snitch, Partycrashers, Bargain of Blood are all really easy to teach and learn.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  8. #8
    Community Member voodoogroves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    9,593

    Default

    Looks like you're on Ghallanda - when do you typically play?
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

  9. #9
    Community Member Sarisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,614

    Default

    The best epics to learn on are Snitch, Bargain of Blood, and Fathom the Depths. Some others below can be just as easy, but are done via other tricks or hefty metagaming to know how to make them easy. These three quests have small enough groups of mobs to give people a nice introduction to the HP and damage capability of epic mobs, don't have intense numbers of casters, and if something bad happens, you can fairly easily recover.

    Once you get them down, try Partycrashers, Big Top, Claw of Vulkoor, The Tide Turns, VoN1, VoN2, and Last Stand. These need a bit more CC or knowledge, but are still doable and fairly easy once you get a little bit of epic experience.

    The next tier would be Into the Deep, Small Problem, Wizard King, the DQ raid, Epic Chrono, and the VoN6 raid.

    The final tier are ones that it's usually best to have a good bit of experience with, or have hefty DPS or gearing requirements. That's not to say that they can't be run earlier, just be sure you listen to the leaders when doing so. These are VoN3, VoN4, VoN5, Spies in the House, the DQ Preraid, Offering of Blood, Chains of Flame, Devil's Assault, Master Artificer, and Lord of Blades.

    Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    The Air Savant should be able to DoT him up - but he's going to have aggro. Crateos can hit pretty hard so you'll either need to find a way to physically block him or your savant will simply need to take it. This isn't too horrible if you know what you're doing - shield block, heal through the pain. Displacement helps.
    That's what I do when I'm on my Sorc. I even equip an Anathema for more hate. I shield block with an Epic Kundarak Warding Shield (high DR, no spell failure), but any decent low spell failure shield and displacement and Stoneskin will work. I pull him back into the corner farthest from the lightning, while everyone else beats on him from behind. Usually only I need healed.

    The immunity to light makes him a bit slow to kill on a FvS. Note that he IS vulnerable to elements now (wasn't pre-u9) so if you can position him so he's sitting in the electric trap but you are not, you can get a good amount of damage done that way.

  10. #10
    Community Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by callforkills View Post
    Duo epics first time is not a good idea, since you dont know any of the preffered tactics that in most cases make the epics quite easy.

    Other easy epic quests are: eBig Top and eBoB (Bargain of Blood)
    I'd say ePartycrashers is far easier than eBig Top, but concur with eBoB. PUGs should complete either with no trouble.

    eTide is easy too as long as you have CC and a rogue for the traps.
    Last edited by moritheil; 10-19-2011 at 01:40 AM.
    You can find software that never crashes. It was, however, released on the Commodore 64. - azrael4h
    Most of the times I try to buy something turbine seems to be all like "No, please, don't give us money, go away." - MindCake

  11. #11
    Community Member jaegarnel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarisa View Post
    The best epics to learn on are Snitch, Bargain of Blood, and Fathom the Depths. Some others below can be just as easy, but are done via other tricks or hefty metagaming to know how to make them easy. These three quests have small enough groups of mobs to give people a nice introduction to the HP and damage capability of epic mobs, don't have intense numbers of casters, and if something bad happens, you can fairly easily recover.

    Once you get them down, try Partycrashers, Big Top, Claw of Vulkoor, The Tide Turns, VoN1, VoN2, and Last Stand. These need a bit more CC or knowledge, but are still doable and fairly easy once you get a little bit of epic experience.

    The next tier would be Into the Deep, Small Problem, Wizard King, the DQ raid, Epic Chrono, and the VoN6 raid.

    The final tier are ones that it's usually best to have a good bit of experience with, or have hefty DPS or gearing requirements. That's not to say that they can't be run earlier, just be sure you listen to the leaders when doing so. These are VoN3, VoN4, VoN5, Spies in the House, the DQ Preraid, Offering of Blood, Chains of Flame, Devil's Assault, Master Artificer, and Lord of Blades.
    I only know the house P and VoN epics since those are the only epic packs I have atm, but I don't quite agree with your tier system.

    In my opinion, eVoN 1, while still easy, is at the same level as Small Problem, for the same reason; the end fight is tough on most groups who can't coordinate well.

    eVoN 2 is much harder (I do all 4 house P epics and the first 2 eVoN almost every day, and it's the only one I sometimes wipe in) for 2 reasons; you need to know the quest well and it's PUGed very rarely (I think the only LFMs I've seen for eVoN 2 in weeks were those I was in), and there is only 1 shrine, so you need to conserve sp.

    Also, a good rogue with high open lock makes it much easier, bypassing the giant fight saves a lot of time and grief.
    I really wouldn't advise a caster and a FvS to try to duo eVoN 2 without knowing it well.

  12. #12
    Community Member Such755's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    914

    Default

    As said above, the easy epics are at house P (Except for A small problem). Go do them first, but know that the Sands epics are really a lot harder, for me it was as if I'm doing a whole new levels of epics. Elite epics, you might even call it. But that was just me!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload