Community Member

Default Just venting about a bad experience in crystal cove

I had the opposite of fun yesterday in crystal cove. I was on my level 20 rogue and I was in a pug group. We were going to run cc on level 22. It was decided that that I was going to run the torches. We start and I set the torches to the south cave and asked the scouters where to set the torches next. They said the waterfall. I start running the torches to the waterfall and the scouters run up past me and I come across a pair of undead archers in the tunnel leading to the waterfall. The scouters had run right past them and ignored them. Recognizing that if those archers were still there when the kobolds reached that spot, the kobolds would either die or turn around and head back to the start, and recognizing that my party members didn't intend to kill the archers, I started attacking one. This one guy who was in the tunnel next to me started yelling at me saying that my sole purpose in life was to set the torches and that if I ignore the undead then they won't attack me. The second part of that was **** but since he was right there I expected him to kill the archers so they wouldn't harass the kobolds later and I continued setting the line to the waterfall. When I got to the waterfall there was another group of archers that my party members hadn't cleared. I set down the rest of the torches with them shooting me and the torches were all set up. At this point the archers in the tunnel that I had passed showed up and I had a mess of archers shooting me. I didn't engage them because I didn't want that guy to yell at me again and I started asking my party members to come kill the undead. That same guy started yelling at me again about how the undead are normally passive and wouldn't have attacked me unless I attacked them first. I told him that I didn't attack these undead in the waterfall and that they were attacking me because they were aggressive and attack any player they see on sight. He then cussed at me and told me I was full of bs and that he had seen me attack that undead in the tunnel so clearly I must have attacked the undead at the waterfall. I then died. I watched as single kobolds would periodically show up far apart from each other. My party members at this point had finally killed those undead but apparently they were doing a terrible job defending the line I had set up otherwise. When the quota had been reached Jack Jibbers showed up. I listened for 5 minutes as my party members searched for him in vain all the while Jibbers was attacking and killing kobolds. They eventually found him and killed him but at this point we had very little time left. We ended up getting 62 crystals, because I hit an undead twice on the way to the waterfall.

Anyone else have any horror stories about crystal cove?

Red face

Ya, trying to do a Shroud while CC is active, *shudder*

Edit: And also tring to read a wall o' text about CC horror,

Community Member

That not attacking undead sounds like BS to me.. I run solo and farm the gems, if you even walk into sight the undead get ready to attack, then turn and do it.

Community Member

I call BS on the undead not attacking. I've run my 12th lvl rogue thru the cove and even stealthed they see you and attack you without provocation. Those guys in the pug were morons.

Even if invised, and scouting, and not attacking, they would aggro... Someone was an idiot, it it wasn't you...

Cleanup of undead is a must for a smooth CC
    (Say): Haywire says, '"Hey, I don't come into yer home and play with things."'

Ah. I see the problem. You were running cove on a rogue.

Community Member

Wait, they didn't run your stone to the rez shrine at any point? No one could take the time to run, grab it, and ddoor?

Honestly, I might have just released and dropped group if they were being actively hostile to you AND letting you sit there dead for 5+ minutes.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyndrome View Post
    Ah. I see the problem. You were running cove on a rogue.
    For the record on cc level 20 I've assassinated that bugged orange named hob that jumps around and doesn't attack.

Passive undead? That dude is an idiot. Never run with him again.
    Officer and Webmaster for Fallen Immortals, a guild of Thelanis.

Toons: Aryllia (main), Dayanmak, Devhead, Gezgin, Kutsal Ruh, Toprak

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GotSomeQuestions View Post
    Wait, they didn't run your stone to the rez shrine at any point? No one could take the time to run, grab it, and ddoor?

Honestly, I might have just released and dropped group if they were being actively hostile to you AND letting you sit there dead for 5+ minutes.
    It's true that I probably should have left and dropped group. At the same time however that was a very easy 62 crystals...

Quote Originally Posted by Norean View Post
    For the record on cc level 20 I've assassinated that bugged orange named hob that jumps around and doesn't attack.
    I have a level 18 rogue that will probably stay that way for a long time. I'd love to cap it and TR. But, running level 20 coves my wizard can PWK, wail or FoD all of the orange names and every hob in the place, and wall of fire kills the skellies dead like so many roaches. I am not even good at playing wizards.

I feel for anyone whose main is a rogue right now, and Mabar is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cdemeritt View Post
    Even if invised, and scouting, and not attacking, they would aggro... Someone was an idiot, it it wasn't you...
    Although I agree that the people in this party were idiots, and this isn't really germane to the OPs point (if there was a point). But - you can easily run pass all of the undead in there with invisibility on.

I usually throw invis on to scout the entire east circle and waterfall before going back to cleanup the trash near the purps...and nothing follows me (I have no move silently skills either).
    Economy of Scale - a guild for those who want the rewards of renown, without the restrictions of a guild. Find us on Khyber

Ilana | Descent | Alkarius

Community Member

Oh I missed that post about being invis. My rogue has massive move silently and hide skills. She firstly put as many points as she could into the 2 stats when leveling up, secondly she gets +15 to both when she has the epic short sword from the event equipped, she has a dex modifier of 9 (not too high but she's a str build), and green steel +45hp bracers that add 6 to all her dex skills. That's in addition to the bonus to those skills from the assassin enhancement line. I can sneak right by those undead and I do when I'm a scout. I just wasn't sneaking when I was the torch runner because I needed to move fast.

PUGs are that way u get good runs, u get really bad runs. I was too in a run in wich i was torcher and 5 guys couldnt hold the middle against 4 goblins (cr22)
    U didnt nothing wrong, yea the 2 *scouts* were a waste of party space, when u r scouting, u r suposed to clear any mob near the cristals, torchers need to have a smoth sailing and call if the kobolds are not comings and line is getting hit.
    Skelies listen/spot is pretty low, i used to invs myself and run past them and they had no idea i was near there, but if 1 of them spot u all the mob start chasing u to werever u go.
    Hopefully u squelched most of that party and move on. Coming up next PUG... TBD..

Quote Originally Posted by Norean View Post
    I can sneak right by those undead and I do when I'm a scout. I just wasn't sneaking when I was the torch runner because I needed to move fast.
    Yes as I said I was just making the point that you can very easily get by them with invis if you don't want to fight them.

I think you acted properly. As the torch runner - people should be doing what YOU say and if they don't like what you are doing, drop the torches and tell them to finish the line.
    Economy of Scale - a guild for those who want the rewards of renown, without the restrictions of a guild. Find us on Khyber

Ilana | Descent | Alkarius

Quote Originally Posted by GotSomeQuestions View Post

Same. Though if they were that bad, I would have spent all of the crystals on torches, and not let them have any for the way they would have treated me. Then I would have blacklisted them.
    Last edited by Ziindarax; 10-08-2011 at 10:34 PM.
    Ziind Stargazer - Level 12 fighter/6 Barbarian/2 rogue Half-Orc (Neutral Good) - Formerly a level 20 Paladin Human - Orien

Fernian Summer Carnival