Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hero

Default Missing PrEs for a brand new class is ludicrous

Where are all of the missing prestige enhancements? Classes that launched with DDO still don't have tier 3 prestige enhancements after 5 years...And Artificer gets released with a single prestige line, but it only goes to tier 1. Really??
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    Where are all of the missing prestige enhancements? Classes that launched with DDO still don't have tier 3 prestige enhancements after 5 years...And Artificer gets released with a single prestige line, but it only goes to tier 1. Really??
    Yeah, they should speed up on working on these.

I mean, an entire new game can go from concept to launch in 12-18 months... they should be able to bring out (and fix) prestige specialties in less time than that. If there was some special reason they couldn't do that, then they shouldn't have been announced with such specificity.

Community Member Symar-FangofLloth's Avatar

/signed
    Former Xoriat-er. Embrace the Madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    Its going to be 3 years since the players was told of PrE in Dec 2008. Still it it is taking way to long, worst when they just release 2/3 of 1 PrE and over a year goes by with out finishing it.

For some reason I have a felling they are already done with most of the PrE but something is holding them back, to powerful, to weak, to many bugs, better then the older PrE we currently have cause of engine upgrades.
    HEY, I'M TRYING TO SOLVE THAT!
    STOP TOUCHING MY PUZZLE!
    TOUCH MY PUZZLE ONE MORE TIME AND YOU'LL BE SORRY!
    PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS GAME -- I QUIT! AND YOU SHALL DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bladedge View Post
    Its going to be 3 years since the players was told of PrE in Dec 2008. Still it it is taking way to long, worst when they just release 2/3 of 1 PrE and over a year goes by with out finishing it.

For some reason I have a felling they are already done with most of the PrE but something is holding them back, to powerful, to weak, to many bugs, better then the older PrE we currently have cause of engine upgrades.
    Why the answer is simple: money.

See most companys are expected to make so much per month/quarter/year what have you. Now turbine releases stuff based on when their money is starting to slow down. Losing some players funds from boredom? Time for more adventure packs/PrE's to encourage buying hearts of wood and tomes/rerolls. More new games coming out making it harder to compete? Release new classes and races to stem the tide. I have no doubt their releases could be much more, but its better for them to have a steady stream of revinue to show the stock holders than one or two big spikes in cash.

Quote Originally Posted by sumnz View Post
    Why the answer is simple: money.

See most companys are expected to make so much per month/quarter/year what have you. Now turbine releases stuff based on when their money is starting to slow down. Losing some players funds from boredom? Time for more adventure packs/PrE's to encourage buying hearts of wood and tomes/rerolls. More new games coming out making it harder to compete? Release new classes and races to stem the tide. I have no doubt their releases could be much more, but its better for them to have a steady stream of revinue to show the stock holders than one or two big spikes in cash.
    That means it could take decades to get a PrE when Turbine decides they need more money :/
    Server: CANNITH
    Respect the objective or you'll fail...

When is Lamannia coming back up?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    I mean, an entire new game can go from concept to launch in 12-18 months... t.
    You have no idea how far off the mark you are!

The OP has a good point, your response quoted above is not only flawed, but it's unqualified as well. (Unless you're an animator, then you wouldn't have posted that)

We all agree on this issue, and there are reasons Turbine has for this happening. A little feedback from the Dev's on this would be great, but as Bladedge posted, we had an announcement 3 years ago about this, and it's kind of faded from sight as far as we've seen in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    "I like pie. Pie is delicious." "You know, cake is better", and a sudden nerf gun war breaks out because Pie is supreme. Then someone says, "What about dinner?"

releasing tiers of prestige classes doesn't make a lot of money, not as much as releasing new content or classes you need to pay for since prestige enhancements are theoretically free, that is more or less asking them to add f2p content to the game - not gonna happen soon
    plus it means taking a bigger risk than with new content because if they release something really good some people will again scream overpowered and if they release something bad everyone will complain, so they need to get a balanced product out there, and give it away for free

Community Member

I also think that PREs are a bit trickier than quests/contents, as its' a new concept in DDO. Mostly the Devs have to come up with their own intrepretation of the PnP version to something that works in an MMO. Furthermore, the new PRE has to be balanced against all other classes, and care has to be taken for multiclassing. Considering the dynamic multiclassing and rather 'intelligent' (my first choice is actually exploitative), a PRE can easily have unintended effects whether OP or too underpowered. Which I guess, probably happened before.

And yes, PREs are freely available, and the only money to make from PRE is probably just hearts. Compared to content which require people spending TP and resources.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by ferd View Post
    You have no idea how far off the mark you are!

The OP has a good point, your response quoted above is not only flawed, but it's unqualified as well.
    Why did you write that?

Why did you write that?
    Probably because (as far as I know) there has NEVER been a commercial MMO that has "gone from concept to launch in 12-18 months".

It may be 12-18 months from the time you hear about the game to its launch date, but most have been in development for years before you hear about them.

Still, the OP has a point. Three years seems like more than enough time to complete the Prestige Enhancements for the classes. I'm not an industry professional or anything, and know that things like this can take time, but ... 3 years? Really?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caliban View Post
    Probably because (as far as I know) there has NEVER been a commercial MMO that has "gone from concept to launch in 12-18 months".
    But since my post didn't contain the word "MMO", why would someone think the word "game" referred solely and specifically to an MMO?

As far as MMORPGs go, I've seen them in 24 months (by Turbine in fact). Probably some out there have done it 25% faster than that, but most games are smaller projects than an MMORPG.

It may be 12-18 months from the time you hear about the game to its launch date, but most have been in development for years before you hear about them.
    The development lifetime of major games isn't a mysterious secret.

Community Member

Still, the OP has a point. Three years seems like more than enough time to complete the Prestige Enhancements for the classes. I'm not an industry professional or anything, and know that things like this can take time, but ... 3 years? Really?
    working on PRE's for existing classes wont generate revenue in the ddostore. Im not sure why folks wont understand that turbine prioritizes development that will directly spur ddostore sales. anything else is backburner. sorry, but this is the way of F2P.

Community Member

I'm not sure if it's true that Prestige Classes won't generate revenue from the store. I'm sure there might be some people buying Hearts (any of the three) from the store if there is a nice/interesting/unexpected boost to a Prestige Class that is added or finished. I'm guessing that TR Hearts would be the least likely to sell, but the other two could sell. Of course, there's a chance that the Devs include some feat needed to the Prestige classes that forces people to exchange feats and that could be another source of selling items from the DDOStore. So there are a few examples where adding Prestige Classes will cause some sells in the store.

But since my post didn't contain the word "MMO", why would someone think the word "game" referred solely and specifically to an MMO?
    Because this is a forum for an MMO game, and the original post is talking about developing features in an MMO game?

But if you want to pretend you were suddenly talking about some other non-MMO games as if they were in any way relevent to the topic, go right ahead.

Community Member

EQ used to come out with big expansions every 6 months. Currently, they do one a year for EQ and EQ2. Don't try to sell me on the fact that Turbine can't come up with major updates every 12-18 months.

If it isn't a cash shop item, then its on the back-burner. That has been obvious since f2p day one.

Community Member

wrong thread
    Last edited by mystafyi; 10-18-2011 at 07:18 AM.

Considering the balance issues that come into play with these sorts of things, it is fairly clear WHY it takes a long time for the release of some things. How many times have you heard complaints about new classes or abilities being over or underpowered, and then you have nerfs or balance changes for the next 3-10 updates to try fixing what was broken? Wouldn't you prefer if things were working and somewhat balanced from day one, with only minor changes after release?

Quote Originally Posted by sumnz View Post
    I have no doubt their releases could be much more, but its better for them to have a steady stream of revinue to show the stock holders than one or two big spikes in cash.
    In that case maybe they should work on game stability and VIP perks, increasing the number of subscribers and making their income more stable. But that's prolly expecting too much, since Turbine uses the 'cover it with a band-aid and pretend it wasn't there' method of fixing problems.
    Comfortably [d|n]umb

Toons: Weirdly || Inbound || Samma || Ocular || Annoyed || Stinkpelt of Khyber
    WanderLust EuroTrash

The issue is balancing and money. Time is a problem too. Remember when the devs asked which FvS PRE we wanted them to work on because they only had time for one? Can you imagine what would happen if 4 or 5 PRE's came out at the same time, considering what has happened to some classes when they got new PRE's (looking at you Pale Master and Elemental Savant)?
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast