Community Member VishaiOutlander's Avatar

Lightbulb Need Advice on UMD for Sorcerer

Hello DDO Forums, I'm new to the game (playing for about three weeks now) and am thinking of making a Sorcerer. I know that Concentration is essential, but it occurred to me that I could pick up Quicken Spell at level 1 and, when under attack, just switching that on and either CC'ing or running around and blasting them till they're dead.

The reason for picking up Quicken Spell rather than raising my Concentration is because I'd like to put as many points into UMD as possible, that way I'd be able to heal with wands and scrolls as well as use magical abilities from wands and scrolls I wouldn't normally have access to because of my limited spell selection as a Sorcerer.

As far as race and stats I was thinking of choosing a Drow and going with the following:

8 Str
    12 Dex
    16 Con
    10 Int
    8 Wis
    18 Cha

Skills, I plan on putting 4 into Balance and UMD, giving me a +3 in Bal to start and a +6 in UMD.

Please let me know your thoughts on this initial selection, and let me know if there is a way that I would be able to have a nice UMD as well as Concentration, because I realize how much SP Quicken Spell would eat up. Thanks in advance!

Quicken will not apply to your scrolls, however, so concentration will still be beneficial for self-healing (the primary use of UMD on a sorc).

Looking at your posted stats, there is no reason for the 2 point bump in Dex. Move those 2 points to Int and you can have both UMD and concentration

Edit: Looking at those stats some more, I also got to recommend swapping your spent points into Cha and Con. Max Cha and 14 Con will give much more value per point then max con and 18 Cha.
    sravana, kirtana, smarana, dasya, atma-nivedana
    ...NAMASTE...

Community Member VishaiOutlander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samadhi View Post
    Quicken will not apply to your scrolls, however, so concentration will still be beneficial for self-healing (the primary use of UMD on a sorc).

Looking at your posted stats, there is no reason for the 2 point bump in Dex. Move those 2 points to Int and you can have both UMD and concentration

Edit: Looking at those stats some more, I also got to recommend swapping your spent points into Cha and Con. Max Cha and 14 Con will give much more value per point then max con and 18 Cha.
    Thank you! Did not know Quicken didn't apply to wands and scrolls. Very useful to know. Also, good idea on the Int boost; didn't occur to me.

Red face

If u want to get the most of UMD u need to think ahead that u r actually going to use it, quicken for a sorc IMO terrible idea and waste of slot, extend is a must.

U need to get ahold of INT tome a +1 and +2 i know having just started playing means ur resources might not be as good, but something to keep in mind, why a +1 and +2 simple ull get 1 xtra skill point at lv 7 ( dunno how many drows get anyways but more skill point always a plus).

At creation u put all ur points in UMD with CONCENTRATION as secondary, and wenever u level u add skill point to UMD and concentration, u dont need any other skill, if u manage to have the bonus for having a INT tome on u ull get xtra point at lv 7 to add to concetration, balance is not useful at all, having GH its enough to recover ur balance fast enough and at lower lv there are no foes that use knockdown, xcept the joker that toss a grease to be funny.

By the time u r a nice lv u should be able to self heal u by crit wands at lv 14 to 15, then u need to focus on a GS item that boost ur CHA skills like a air cape( this item also will grant u 600 sp), with that item + ur CHA bonus by lv 15 to 16 or higher lv ull be able to use heal scrolls and raise dead with a 100% rate not to mention ull be able to bypass UMD for gear with no issues at all.

On a final note, by the time you are capped or close to it, u can use a lesser heart once u have found tomes wether for CHA, INT, CON if u manage to eat a set of +2s even better, use the lesser and ull get the bonus from ur tomes when u are releveling , having a +2 CON bonus when u r releveling is a real nice reward. For DEX i would recomend u having 13 starting dex ( i have it because i like the feats mobile casting), u probably going savant so u cant waste 2 feat on mobile casting.

Quote Originally Posted by az4a3l View Post
    U need to get ahold of INT tome a +1 and +2 i know having just started playing means ur resources might not be as good, but something to keep in mind, why a +1 and +2 simple ull get 1 xtra skill point at lv 7 ( dunno how many drows get anyways but more skill point always a plus).

You only need the +2 Tome at Level 7 to be consumed before you take Level 8. From that point forward, level 8 on, you will get 1 additional point to spend.

A +1 Tome at Level 3 is only useful if your Base INT score was an odd Number. If this is the case then you will not need to consume a +2 Tome at Level 7. You will not want to use any level-ups on a Sorcerer for INT.

Being Drow does not directly effect how many skill points you get, indirectly it starts you with no minus to INT modifier which is used to calculate how many points you get to spend.

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

There are mobs that have trip attacks distributed across a lot of lower level content. Mobs with trip attacks often come in packs, like wolves and lions come in packs, because those are the kinds of foes that typically have a trip attack that they like to spam. They're usually difficult to spot, as well, and often the first notice you'll get about the presence of a lion or wolf in the vicinity will be your character falling over and a "knockdown" message appearing above your character's head, just as the lion or wolf suddenly becomes visible. When set upon by a pack, they can easily chain together trip attacks and keep your character laying down for extended periods of time, only able to intermittently attack.

Other low level enemies, like some hobgoblins, also have knockdown attacks. Balance is the key skill for surviving those situations. For a newer player balance is probably not a good choice for a "dump" skill; if you can spare points for it, then build up balance. Balance is a lower priority than both concentration and UMD, but it's probably a strong third choice for a skill to build up, especially for a young sorcerer with poor or mediocre gear.

On the subject of gear, a lot of how to best build a character has to do with what gear you have available to you. Tomes are what experienced (ie: resource rich) players have, or what some players with cash burning a hole in their pocket acquire through the DDO store. When you're new, tomes may be out of reach for a fair while.

On that note, if you have a STR of 8, you will become helpless sometimes because you missed a "Will" saving throw against the Ray of Enfeeblement spell, and your STR gets reduced to zero. The "helpless" state means that all you can do is run away at low speed; you can't drink potions, use scrolls, cast spells, swing weapons, vote in elections, or even scratch that itch behind your left ear until your STR rises above zero -- and that takes a while, if you're soloing. If you set your STR to 10, then you have a better chance of finding gear that you can swap in that will get your STR to 12, at which point you won't have your STR reduced to zero by a single casting of Ray of Enfeeblement.

DEX would be lovely, if only to raise your reflex saving throw. But, you're probably better off leaving it at base and building up other stats instead.

As for Quicken, at lower levels you'll run out of SPs much too quickly to reliably finish up missions if you try to dump concentration, and rely on Quicken instead.