Default Spawn Screen: where and when to use it?

I've played my Cleric to level 17 and have Spawn Screen memorized for a while now. When I first got that spell, I used to cast it with all the other group buffs, but after a while I stopped with that to save sp. On my other toons, I've never noticed other Clerics casting it.

Now I started my FvS and when looking at the spells, I'm still not sure if I ever need it. Where and when is this spell useful? I've never seen players rise as undead after they died. Is it trash or am I just missing something?

Please help me, this spell confuses me.
    DDO Bug Ratio: For every 10 new bugs, 1 is fixed.

I use it in one place only. Epic Wizard King, when fighting King Raiyum.

That is because the Hex Wraiths that are spawned by Raiyum are incredibly dangerous, and having someone healing-cursed then killed by a Wraith that hits for 130+ damage a hit will spawn another Wraith.

Since Raiyum spams Greater Dispel, it doesn't stick long, but if one Wraith is prevented from spawning, it's a good thing.

At lower levels, it may be worthwhile if you're in a weaker group running a few of the Necro quests that are heavy in Wraiths/Spectres, but even that isn't too dangerous.

Dont bother with the spell ever.

Spawn screen prevents stat damage caused by shadows. It's useful during the mabar event. I don't know if they fixed it, but last I checked, spawn screen was single target only.

Thanks for replies

It seems like the uses are very limited, so I won't take it for my FvS and focus on other spells. My Cleric of course can switch spells more easily.
    DDO Bug Ratio: For every 10 new bugs, 1 is fixed.

if i'm on the forums then probably offshore

Never used it.
    Neg Ten, ruining your enjoyment of the game one quest at a time.

Part 1 of the Shroud
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

Community Member CrushingInklings's Avatar

Its kind of a secret so i wont go into details but its GREAT to use in part one of The Shroud. ^_~
    Compute: Dwarf 19/1 Rogue/fighter - TR1 Dwarf 9/8/3 Barb/Fighter/Rogue - TR2 Dwarf 18/2Fighter/Barb
    Stop asking for GH! [Guide]Solo farming for Planar Girds. http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=299817

That is because the Hex Wraiths that are spawned by Raiyum are incredibly dangerous, and having someone healing-cursed then killed by a Wraith that hits for 130+ damage a hit will spawn another Wraith.
    Irrelevant, since the wraith spawned is level 9, and no threat to anybody. Dead people don't pop up as new Hex Wraiths.

The spell has no purpose. Or more accurately, it has the same purpose as nipples on men.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Quote Originally Posted by Matuse View Post
    The spell has no purpose. Or more accurately, it has the same purpose as nipples on men.
    The spell increases aerodynamics?
    Neat!

Quote Originally Posted by Eladiun View Post
    Part 1 of the Shroud
    I prefer to use it just before the portal in part 4.

People will scold you for "buffing", guaranteed.
    Last edited by cdr; 10-05-2011 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by guardianx2009 View Post
    Spawn screen prevents stat damage caused by shadows. It's useful during the mabar event. I don't know if they fixed it, but last I checked, spawn screen was single target only.
    Incorrect. That's what Death Ward is all about.

Spawn Screen

Cooldown: 3 seconds
    Spell Point Cost:
    Target: Friend, Self
    Level: 2 (Cleric, Sorcerer, Wizard, Favored Soul)
    Components: DivineFocus, Somatic, Verbal
    School: Necromancy
    Metamagic: Enlarge, Extend, Quicken
    Spell Resistance: No

Prevents one ally per caster level from rising as undead. Certain rare, extremely powerful undead can circumvent this protection.

In other words it stops the spawning of undead due to party member deaths (ie: your party is fighting 3 wraiths and someone dies. Now there are 4 wraiths to kill.) It can come in handy for a group of new players tackling Delera's or Necropolis for the first time before they get Death Ward available to them. After that I agree with most of the other posters that it becomes useless.
    "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye." - Miss Piggy
    Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back.~ Cpt. Mal Reynolds
    ~Peechie Keene~ THAC0

The spells only purpose is to prevent party member's Wraiths from poping up.

It is only of use in quests that have creatures that can do this - Such as Wraiths. And this is only a danger if the Wraiths mark the player and the player dies when marked.

In any other quests it is as useful as Merfolks Blessing in a non-swimming environment.

The Hatchery

I think in the Shadow Crypts, it prevents you from dying from getting your STR reduced to 0 by shadows (and possibly the stat damage in the first place). Good for casters with 8 STR.

I like to pass it out to anyone who requests the "Axer Package."
    I expect to be buffed with Spawn Screen whenever I request the "Axer Package."
    Useful links: A Guide to Using a Gamepad w/ DDO / All Caster Shroud, Hard Shroud, VoD, ToD Einhander, Elochka, Ferrumrym, Ferrumdermis, Ferrumshot, Ferrumblood, Ferrumender, Ferrumshadow, Ferrumschtik All proud officers of The Loreseekers. Except Bruucelee, he's a Sentinel!

Quote Originally Posted by cpito View Post
    Incorrect. That's what Death Ward is all about.

Spawn Screen

Cooldown: 3 seconds
    Spell Point Cost:
    Target: Friend, Self
    Level: 2 (Cleric, Sorcerer, Wizard, Favored Soul)
    Components: DivineFocus, Somatic, Verbal
    School: Necromancy
    Metamagic: Enlarge, Extend, Quicken
    Spell Resistance: No

Prevents one ally per caster level from rising as undead. Certain rare, extremely powerful undead can circumvent this protection.

In other words it stops the spawning of undead due to party member deaths (ie: your party is fighting 3 wraiths and someone dies. Now there are 4 wraiths to kill.) It can come in handy for a group of new players tackling Delera's or Necropolis for the first time before they get Death Ward available to them. After that I agree with most of the other posters that it becomes useless.

WRONG. Read this, or actually go and test it out yourself.
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=282238

Also Death Ward does NOT prevent stat damage. Please get your facts straight.

Edit: I stand corrected: death ward does prevent some, but not all, stat damage.
    Last edited by guardianx2009; 10-05-2011 at 12:22 PM.

Death Ward stops damage from Shadows. Str drain from other sources just leaves you helpless when it hits 0. However, Str drain from Shadows is actually fatal, which is why Death Ward stops it.
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Community Member

I would argue this point, but would have to do so elsewhere...

Death Ward stops damage from Shadows. Str drain from other sources just leaves you helpless when it hits 0. However, Str drain from Shadows is actually fatal, which is why Death Ward stops it.
    no, death ward stops shadows because it prevents negative energy effects, not just death effects, and shadows drain your strength with negative energy. as is the case with most undead-originated stat drains.