Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Community Member balancetraveller's Avatar

Default LoB Some Boring Lore Rant

From lore perspective it would seem just weird a Warforged FvS favored by Lord of Blades can go in there and bash on its own deity

There should be some lore easter eggs in store such as the aforementioned toons should get a lingering Shaken debuff or something similar for such act of defiance

*EDIT*

Well, many thanks to the devs and every lore scholar out there for coming into this otherwise a boring rant thread and giving some really nice bits for those of us who care about the stories. Thumbs up!
    Last edited by balancetraveller; 10-08-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Talk to the guys in the Cannith Enclave....
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

If you care about lore, search for the Lord of Blades character outside of DDO. You ll notice a lot more inconsistency than this detail.

Or the overnight building of House C.

U11 and some updates before are a big lore joke. More like an sloppy excuse to beat stuff than lore really.

Its like watching that graphic novel you loved to read turn into some bad FX movie.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Talk to the guys in the Cannith Enclave....
    Not having an LoB WF, I'm curious how the dialog differs.

The way the Raid actually plays out, it makes some sense for LoB WF to help out, but going into it, it's hard to see a good justification.

Quote Originally Posted by joaofalcao View Post
    If you care about lore, search for the Lord of Blades character outside of DDO. You ll notice a lot more inconsistency than this detail.
    You mean, what is LoB doing in Xen'drik, instead of in the Mournlands? I'm not an Eberron lore expert, but I thought it was established that the Quori did have their primary presence on Xen'drik. If the LoB found out about a Quori creation forge, I don't think it's unreasonable for him to make the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by balancetraveller View Post
    From lore perspective it would seem just weird a Warforged FvS favored by Lord of Blades can go in there and bash on its own deity

There should be some lore easter eggs in store such as the aforementioned toons should get a lingering Shaken debuff or something similar for such act of defiance
    Hehe, I asked the same question couple weeks back. I'm still not sold on the idea of a fervent follower of Lord of Blades would try to kill LoB in spite of LoB being mind-controlled by Quori. But that's the justification and the story arc.
    Coldflame | Toord and many horrible experiments.
    True Join Date: Circa mid 2007. Still a noob. My simple forum rules: http://pastebin.com/ftE2V1GG

If you meet the Lord of Blades on the road, kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by dkyle View Post
    as i understand it, any WF will do. just look for the captured paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by joaofalcao View Post

Or the overnight building of House C.

U11 and some updates before are a big lore joke. More like an sloppy excuse to beat stuff than lore really.

Its like watching that graphic novel you loved to read turn into some bad FX movie.
    overnight building of house C?

house cannith is what makes ebberon, ebberon. the magical devices and constructs are essential to the lore of the game and are an integral part of the story. im more curious as to why we didnt see the u11 content sooner, rather than being surprised that it showed up later.

the game has to expand. you want lore, just pretend like you've been possessed by a quori and didnt notice it was there the entire time.

oh, and OP, /signed. there should be an egg or something, throw the LOB followers a debuff, or at least give the story some dialogue that makes more sense.

as it stands now, the lord of blades is drunk with the power the big glowing thing emits, and is freaking insane, it wouldnt take much re-writing of quest giver's dialogue to make it perfectly acceptable for even followers of the lord of blades fighting him in an attempt to 'help' him.
    Soturi . Ghallanda Rerolled
    [7/18/2012 12:22:24 AM] D. H.: i mean, i'm not as experienced as, say, a vegas hooker, but i can confidently say that you're a lot more aggressive than like 90% of the guys i've been with.

The biggest difference that I recall was that there is a captured Warforged near the entrance to the wilderness area. If you talk to him with a fleshie, he just makes some statement about how he's not going to talk to you or something like that.

I talked to him with my WF FvS, and he says something different. He says that something has happened to the Lord of Blades after he reached the forge and he needs help, or something along those lines.

I would go and check to actually copy and paste the text here, but after you beat The Master Artificer he is replaced with Toven so my WF can't. Not sure if it works with non-LoB WF characters though.

EDIT: Sniped. Apparently any WF will do.
    Khyber: Carinn (TR 18 Sorcerer) -- Kyrainne (TR 20 Paladin) -- Arrail (TR 20 Favored Soul) -- Aoede (18 Bard) -- Terrabourne (20 Ranger) -- Ankhalla (20 Monk) -- Cylanna (20 Rogue)
    The Lifeguard: A Swimcleric build

Community Member

Default silly game

kind of silly to expect that it is possible to defeat him, but, supposedly you can become a 'god' in the game, or a lesser deity, at any rate

in original rules once you hit 20 there is a possibility your deity will take you up to heaven, or whatever its realm is called, making you a demigod and basically unplayable as a PC anymore. You are supposed to retire at 20, build your castle, hire your army, create your tower, research your magical powers... just be done... now they have TR, whatever

still don't like TR, as a concept. In execution it is 'cute', but rather trite, a little bigger, a little badder, but not really
    true neutral poster... note the grey in my 'rep'
    kool-aid in my coffee! YEAH!
    {save me from myself}

^

DDO's LoB is actually quite a bit more badass than the 3.5 Eberron stats. He's only CR12 there. He's an enemy that PCs really are supposed to be able to face, there.

His status as "god" is debatable, and not generally accepted by those that don't follow him.

Community Member

Default Religion in Eberron

quoted from Wikipedia's Eberron entry:

Religion is similarly less clear-cut (than other D&D worlds). The pantheon of Eberron does not make itself overtly known. The existence of divine magic is not evidence of the gods, as clerics who worship no deities but instead follow a path or belief system also receive spells. A cleric can even actively work against their own church and continue to receive spells. As a result, religion is largely a matter of faith. Unlike in many other 3rd edition D&D settings, a cleric does not have to be within one step of his deity's or religion's alignment, and is not restricted from casting certain spells because of alignment.

Edit to add: Hence, why Lord of Blades worshipping Warforged can fight against him without any penalties. In my mind, the disappointment is that there is no way that his worshippers can take his side. I think it'd be great if they'd make opposing factions that you could choose between; if you did quests for the Lord of Blades, you'd lose favor with House Cannith, and vice versa.
    Last edited by Delwyn_Stone; 10-04-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanAndAScholar View Post
    Hehe, I asked the same question couple weeks back. I'm still not sold on the idea of a fervent follower of Lord of Blades would try to kill LoB in spite of LoB being mind-controlled by Quori. But that's the justification and the story arc.
    You aren't trying to kill him, but to overpower him.

Really, no different to what I'd do IRL if a friend started talking to the voices in their head and trying to kill everyone.

The whole 'beat him till he's unconscious, wait for him to get up, knock him senseless again, let him get up, then bash him down once more for the lulz' optional though - yeah, that's not really very WF FvS friendly.

Community Member balancetraveller's Avatar

*EDIT*

Well, many thanks to the devs and every lore scholar out there for coming into this otherwise a boring rant thread and giving some really nice bits for those of us who care about the stories. Thumbs up!
    Last edited by balancetraveller; 10-08-2011 at 06:58 AM.

Community Member

I'm relying on my memory since I'm not logged into the game right now. If you have a WF (class doesn't matter), the dialog from NPC WF in House C is different from other races. Unless something's changed, I believe most of the WF in House C are trying to convince WF to stop mingling with non-WF and join the coming "race war" or something to that effect.

There is a captured WF near the entrance of the Factory that has the important dialog though. If you are a non-WF, he tells you to leave him alone. But if you're a WF, he confesses that something is wrong with the Lord of Blades and whatever has made the LOB confused must be stopped.

Minor inaccuracy: Quori have presence on Khorvaire, Sarlona and Xen'drik, but they're most prominent on Sarlona (what with having taken over the whole continent and building crazy monoliths and being worshiped as gods).

Historically, however, there are a lot of Quori artifacts on Xen'drik that predate modern Quori, and whose exact function is mystery to all. They're left over from the war with the giants.

These artifacts are even more interesting to modern Quori who have no memory of this war than they are to your average archaeologist and/or power hungry lunatic.

When the previous age in the Plane of Nightmares ended, all of the Quori vanished and were reborn. That was 40,000 years ago in Eberron lore, if memory serves.
    From dev meeting: "It's fun to fail!"
    "Grouping in MMOs is 1d6 players pretending to like each other long enough to start drama over loot."
    "There is a way to implement it but it’s got so many red flags it’s like communism."
    "That tears it. I need to get a donkey."

It depends on what your take on the Lob is. There are some stories that suggest that the LoB is not a specific WF, but is actually a title granted to the leader of the WF in the Mournlands. It would be the same as calling a fleshie "General" or "Warlord".

The fact is, nobody actually knows who the LoB is. For all we know, this LoB is an imposter.
    The problem is never how to get new, innovative thoughts into your mind, but how to get old ones out. Every mind is a building filled with archaic furniture. Clean out a corner of your mind and creativity will instantly fill it.
    Dee Hock

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    Minor inaccuracy: Quori have presence on Khorvaire, Sarlona and Xen'drik, but they're most prominent on Sarlona (what with having taken over the whole continent and building crazy monoliths and being worshiped as gods).

Historically, however, there are a lot of Quori artifacts on Xen'drik that predate modern Quori, and whose exact function is mystery to all. They're left over from the war with the giants.

These artifacts are even more interesting to modern Quori who have no memory of this war than they are to your average archaeologist and/or power hungry lunatic.

When the previous age in the Plane of Nightmares ended, all of the Quori vanished and were reborn. That was 40,000 years ago in Eberron lore, if memory serves.
    The previous age of Quori wasn't nightmares if I am not mistaken.

The war started because Quori were rebelling against dying and trying to find a way to avoid their inevitable destruction and rebirth......so many things similar to Tolkien in DDO lore...hehe.....kind of like how the Numenors were rebelling against having to die even tho they were blessed with extremely long life with no disease or ailments.

Anyways, it changes when their current form ends and are reborn and IIRC has something to do with balance in Ebberon.

Scratt for president!!!!

Community Member

I was wondering if the Docent from Prison of the Planes somehow is what started Lord of Blades getting all crazy-like. It would definitely contain a Quori from the older generation.

In-game dialog from the end boss in Dreaming Dark indicates that he pre-dates the Quori-Giant war. And enemies from around that quest indicate that they participated in the invention of Warforged.
    Last edited by Angelus_dead; 10-05-2011 at 11:12 AM.

To be honest I was more disappointed with a few other things; one being his weapon, seems like a Bladed Staff compared to the Double Greatsword it should be. also his Homunculus (or 'dogs' as most players would call them ) are named Hilt and Pommel, they did not even include that, but instead called them 'Hound of Blades'

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast