Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Getting rid of it would be the beginning and end.

I'd like to add one.

Extend the kobolds sense of the surrounding crystals, so that they do not insist on carrying off every green in one room before preceding to the 10 purples in the next.

Also, waterfall - west - south seems to be some place that is forbidden for kobolds to tread - no matter what I do (line up torches, place the teleporter in there) kobolds will ignore it, even to the extent of filling up and then continuing west and north to get back to base instead of taking the teleporter.
    Fear the Koala.
    Jial, Wyllywyl, and an ever-changing list of alts.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy1guy View Post
    Treasure maps? Drink a grog and go wipe out kobold assault, irestone, or butchers path. You'll get far more map pieces for your time/hp/sp bars than the wilderness will ever get.
    Why do people persist on trying to farm smugglers rest when butchers path is about 10 map pieces a minute?

OK, so it is dull, but not much more than smugglers rest. At least butchers path is quick an easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    If you are level 5, a temporary holiday event isn't really for you.
    Actually yes it is. The last time CC was here, i ran one of the toons on my alt account (which was f2p at the time) from 6 to 18 out there. The cove itself was a blast and i got to make all kinds of goodies out there. This time around, I started one of my toons out there at 8, and he is currently 12. The cove is most definitely doable for low lvls, once you get past that god awful wilderness zone.

Yes, the cove event starts in the explorer zone once... very briefly. You get one compass (or doubloons to buy it) and you're done from there FOREVER.
    I am well aware how to progress once you have a compass. You shouldnt HAVE to do that, and you also miss out on the actual treasure maps if you do. The devs put a lot of time and effort into building this cool event. With a few tweaks, it would be much more worth it. The fact that players avoid the place says it all. Fix it so that our posts about how it sucks and there are better places to farm the event items no longer apply. An event should encourage us to participate in the event itself, not go kill stuff in the same quests we do when the event ISNT running.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by varusso View Post
    I am well aware how to progress once you have a compass. You shouldnt HAVE to do that, and you also miss out on the actual treasure maps if you do. The devs put a lot of time and effort into building this cool event. With a few tweaks, it would be much more worth it.
    Yes, it's very true that the outdoor explorer area should be more of a part of the event than it is.

And very importantly, it is also the case that the reason the outdoor area doesn't have many problems with kill stealing and interference and stuff is because it is incorrectly unimportant. Pretty soon the Mabar event will come out and demonstrate those same problems to a much deeper degree.

The Hatchery
    2015 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by MrTops View Post
    Why do people persist on trying to farm smugglers rest when butchers path is about 10 map pieces a minute?

OK, so it is dull, but not much more than smugglers rest. At least butchers path is quick an easy.
    I like it for the named maps, myself. Plus it's something to do between Coves other than just stand around twiddling my thumbs waiting for others to collect and turn in maps. Y'know, something USEFUL? I don't necessarily want to go back to the Harbor, run Butcher's Path 3-4 times, have the Cove open and find out about it, and then come back. I'd rather just run around the island.

The only problem I have is when an L20 comes running through where I've been camped by myself for the last 20 minutes, spawns a bunch of minotaurs, kills all my hobgoblins, and then races off. So I'm stuck waiting around for the minotaurs to despawn. Aggravating as all get-out.
    "Ignorance killed the cat, sir; curiosity was framed."
    Tripoint, C.J. Cherryh

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    Thank you for feedback guys.

Please submit a bug report for each such location.
    I would, but the last CC didn't have the same stuck spots.

And most of the time I determined the stuck spot being their wasn't a 1 to 1 line at the torch. Most of the issues came about at one line in, two lines out. So the kobold would circle, then head back home confused.

Because Major stated that a lot of issues would be fixed with a hireling update I haven't bothered, because this is a hireling issue more than location. I've been ripping up the line behind a group of kobolds to FORCE them to move forward. It really is a pita.

Here's what I've noticed, though I don't know whether causative or correlative.

ANYWHERE where there is a "step down", even if small, CAN (but doesn't always) get borked. It also appears to be related to distance between torches.

Specifically, when the distance between torches gets close to max distance for the red lines to join AND one or both torches are close to a "step down", if you look closely, a small black line of "not red" appears right where the step down occurs. Everywhere we had problems, I noticed at least this correlation.

I theorize the step down increases the distance OR confuses the kobolds due to the break? the other theory is if this is line of sight, a sharp drop like that actually creates (if you can visualize this) a "z" shape at that intersection, not a smooth plane for the kobolds to follow. Geometrically, it also increases the length of the red line; but you'd think THAT would cause the red line not to draw?

This doesn't happen when both torches are on a step up, because the plane's not sharply interrupted.

I solved this by ensuring I had torches far enough away from a "step down" (either direction worked) to create a smooth plane between each torch's flame. As soon as I started doing that, the number of line-created constipated kobolds eventually dropped to 0 per run.

Because there's no exact location, one cannot specifically define that with loc command or anything. It's more a matter of the path "breaking" in the minds (pathing AI) of the kobolds.
    Last edited by fco-karatekid; 10-06-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Yes, it's very true that the outdoor explorer area should be more of a part of the event than it is.

And very importantly, it is also the case that the reason the outdoor area doesn't have many problems with kill stealing and interference and stuff is because it is incorrectly unimportant. Pretty soon the Mabar event will come out and demonstrate those same problems to a much deeper degree.
    Thats why I have been advocating for months that the CC and Mabar events should be turned into true instances. Fact ism the playerbase is used to doing things in smaller groups (6-12) with their own instanced dungeons, and if Turbine converts the events, we would probably flood right back into them like we should. *AND* this nonsense with spells like firewall and blade barrier not working could be removed. And while the aggro-on-attack effect of the mobs is kinda cool, that could be removed and turn them back into regular aggro mobs. Put all the higher-level mobs near the back and the lower-level mobs near the front, so everyone can get to the level-appropriate mobs for them. It would be cool to turn it into a true explorer area with rares and explorer points, even slayers, but this is probably a bit much to ask for

I appreciate that by submitting bug reports we are helping you to help us. But how about making it easy on us first?

There are so many places like this in the world, it would be really helpful for both me and you if you would just make a button that we could hotkey and press wherever there are pathing/stuck problems and let it gather all the data you want and log it for you. This way you don't have to see our snarky text because we are complaining at a time when it's bothering us, you get accurate details and we don't have to interrupt what we are doing. And on the flip side, we don't have to deal with a web bug interface that is slow to load and sometimes buggy.

You can always find ways to limit how many locations we can report a day, etc if the load is unbearable

Community Member kafrielveddicus's Avatar

Thats why I have been advocating for months that the CC and Mabar events should be turned into true instances. Fact ism the playerbase is used to doing things in smaller groups (6-12) with their own instanced dungeons, and if Turbine converts the events, we would probably flood right back into them like we should. *AND* this nonsense with spells like firewall and blade barrier not working could be removed. And while the aggro-on-attack effect of the mobs is kinda cool, that could be removed and turn them back into regular aggro mobs. Put all the higher-level mobs near the back and the lower-level mobs near the front, so everyone can get to the level-appropriate mobs for them. It would be cool to turn it into a true explorer area with rares and explorer points, even slayers, but this is probably a bit much to ask for
    +1 REP and /signed

I prefer to play in an area where I can not be grieved, seperate instances are much better, probably would improve game lag too.

There is a way to appease all though, make it an option when you enter smugglers rest to either be a private instance or to join into a public instance!

The Narc
    Guild: PD Halls of Valhalla on Ghallanda Level 56, Website: http://valhallans.proboards.com/
    Casualnarc 20, Repentnarc 16, Snipernarc 14, Banknarc 13, Gatlingnarc 12, Airnarc 12, Braverynarc 11, Lednarc 11, Tempestnarc 11, Holynarc 9, Repeatnarc 6, Ebuttonnarc 6 <-ALL WITH ZERO DEATHS

Community Member

Thats why I have been advocating for months that the CC and Mabar events should be turned into true instances. Fact ism the playerbase is used to doing things in smaller groups (6-12) with their own instanced dungeons, and if Turbine converts the events, we would probably flood right back into them like we should. *AND* this nonsense with spells like firewall and blade barrier not working could be removed.
    /signed! (and maybe +1 if I'm not out, busy lunch break)

Kill stealing is infuriating. Killing my best spells is a pain. I'm still in there, but less than I would be if it were instanced, and the time that I do spend is less fun.
    I'm only an occasional player since ShadowFell, please forgive me if I'm not up to speed on anything that's changed since then.

Default ugg, doubloons

Copper should not end up being the most valuable currency, ever.

And while we're at it. Make a way to turn in multiples of items. I can only imagine how much of the system lag is caused by 9000 people turning in map pieces and trading gems in for doubloons.

Quote Originally Posted by Yetzederixx View Post

Copper should not end up being the most valuable currency, ever.

And while we're at it. Make a way to turn in multiples of items. I can only imagine how much of the system lag is caused by 9000 people turning in map pieces and trading gems in for doubloons.
    I have to agree on this one. I deleted more stacks of gold coins than i really want to think about. The solution i think would be to make somethings that cost silver + copper just cost gold instead. IE: the greater gems (Air elemental etc). Once you have paid the base cost on creating an item, gold coins become useless. When we could buy and sell dowsing rods for a ridiculous amount, they were useful, but that was an exploit. And really, while the rods are cool as a novelty, there's no way I am buying hundreds of those things just to use up the gold coins.

I dont even want a way to convert gold coins into other coins, as that is just more mindless clicking. Just give me something better to spend them on, like the gems.

As for turning in more things at once -- I turned in 620 map pieces at one sitting and it took forever. This only discourages me from turning in my map pieces. I think the reason they did it with these is to avoid a situation where several people turn in 1000 map pieces at the same time, and one or more of the players ends up wasting their maps. This could of course be solved with an overflow, similar to that used when turning in collectables, etc. This would probably result in the cove opening up very quickly due to "banked" map pieces, which would screw some people who maximize their "cove time" with gem runs -- but that could also be remedied by slapping a 20 minute timer on the doors in between openings Undoubtedly, the devs DONT want the cove opening back to back, so as to "stretch it out" and slow down the farming a bit, so this works all around, and ends up being about the same as the current speed of opening anyway.

Now as to multiple turn ins on other things, such as gem conversion to coins -- there is no good reason for this, and it smacks of laziness. Same as the cannith crafting, which uses the same mechanics. Theres a reason why we can buy spell components (and other things) in batches -- because players *HATE* clicking a button 1000 times to buy/sell/convert a common-use item. There is already an overflow check in place to prevent players getting screwed by it, so its time to update ALL of the barter-box interfaces. Preferably with the same interface current in use by vendors.

It would be nice to use silver or gold as copper in purchasing. 100cp = 1sp or anything would be nice. I'm guessing that last year when you couldn't stack more than 1000 at a time was unbearable.

Also, placing torches is an art - I tried to watch and memorize the way the pro's did it. I noticed that the wn turn worked better if you passed the line thru the ledge. If you actually passed it around the ledge, they'd get stuck and turn back. Sometimes it simply made no sense why they got turned around and why they didn't. Some say no triangles, but I saw pro's using them without problems.

Kobolds probably have a low intelligence so having them get confused makes it challenging. It would be nice to have them turn around when you speak to them or some way to beat them into submission when you get frustrated with them Have the foreman hand out whips maybe?

First time running the event and I enjoy'd it.

KS? You've got to be kidding me. I like the "you killed it you get credit." I can see an arcane tossing in a quick low level aoe, piking, and getting credit for the rest of the party doing the killing. But then at high level arcanes rival monks for KS'ing. And I do notice and comment to the barb or fighter that takes away 2/3rds of HP in one hit...
    My 3rd Life Monk, 2nd Life Monk builds. My pre-MoTU Light Monk build.
    Other Monks: Martens, TeenyTiny, Metaru, Rockan, Horcrux.
    My old Intimitank Build. 3rd life and haven't updated.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by spunkrawker View Post
    Kill stealing is way too common and has threatened my sanity on more than one occasion. Why not award the kill to the first person who hits the mob, instead of the last?
    Hello, it does aware the kill to the first person who hit the mob, instead of the last.

Hello, it does aware the kill to the first person who hit the mob, instead of the last.
    The problem is Character A plants himself near one fo the camp/digsites. The mobs spawn, they kill the first mob, suddenly a level 20 Wizard comes through and Wails all the mobs. That is still kill stealing and is a decent sized issue for the lower level characters.

The Twilight Avengers are always recruiting - http://twilightavengersofeberron.yuku.com/topic/655

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post
    Oh yes, a trade all button. I clicked through 224 maps pieces the other day. And I don't even farm the cove that often.
    Absolutely. When you have 300 gems of various types to turn in, it really gets old fast. Trade all would have been so nice.
    You can find software that never crashes. It was, however, released on the Commodore 64. - azrael4h
    Most of the times I try to buy something turbine seems to be all like "No, please, don't give us money, go away." - MindCake

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12