Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need gameplay advice for Wizard

One of my altmains is a Sorcerer. He's fun and all.

However, another class I want to explore is Wizard. Despite having access to the same spell list, Wizard will obviously play differently.

I should clarify, however, that I'm not looking for build advice. I'm looking for gameplay advice.

My natural instinct is to play the Wizard similar to how I would play a Sorcerer. Obviously, not a good idea, not even because of Wizard's lesser SP, but because they cast slower. Not to mention playing as a Warforged means being a tier 1 spell level behind squishies up until level 5 (since squishies get a robe that boosts tier 1 spells by 1 level, which is generally effective up until level 5, and Warforged gets... a +Repair docent -_-)

And I dunno about you, but it takes me far longer than a day to get to level 5. Then again, I'm not exactly racing through the game, either.

And I mainly solo, since parties, while fun, tend to sap my energy.

So, quite frankly, how should I play Wizard? What should I do that's different? During solo play, especially.

And to be specific, I really don't want to grab a great axe and start hitting things. If I wanted to do that, I'd play my Paladin. With Echoes of Power and cheaper spells overall, there's really no excuse to not use spells.

What are good spells to keep loaded at these low levels? What spells should generally be avoided? How do I overcome Kobold Shaman reflex DC's more easily?
    Last edited by Zachski; 10-04-2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: More specific title
    Once I get my moods under control, I might actually get a character past level 7... ooh, shiny!

Paladins got some love! Now for Warpriests...

Just a few things, I am not sure you wanted to hear these kind of advices, but this came to my mind after reading your post:

1 - WF get a repair docent, as the first shipment of the spellboosting robes they have offered to warforged went straight to the bin after shredding to pieces on huge metal bodies and wooden arms...

2 - Wizards play differently as you have also said, to a point that some consider them to be more of a support class. This might collide with your desire to not play in groups.

3 - You have mentioned that you dont want to axe your way through the first 5 levels. Unfortunately it is still the easiest way to go. Sleep them, Hypno them, and beat them down with the good 'ol rusty axe one by one. Anything else might feel gimped for you, especially after a sorcerer. Even on higher levels the feeling of a failsafe mass hold in one hand, and a "critting for 16x extra damage" axe in the other hand is amazing.

4 - Kobold shamans reflex DCs are most easily avoided with a wisdom save spell... Also with the wizard you can change spells even mid quest, so you can freely experiment.

Cogdoc

Quote Originally Posted by Cogdoc View Post
    Just a few things, I am not sure you wanted to hear these kind of advices, but this came to my mind after reading your post:

1 - WF get a repair docent, as the first shipment of the spellboosting robes they have offered to warforged went straight to the bin after shredding to pieces on huge metal bodies and wooden arms...
    It's annoying and it makes gameplay slow, though. essentially, at level 1, this means Warforged deal half damage with their spells compared to other races, and gradually catch up until level 5 in which case everything goes normal.

I know Warforged get a Spellboosting docent if they're Veteran...

2 - Wizards play differently as you have also said, to a point that some consider them to be more of a support class. This might collide with your desire to not play in groups.
    Hrm.

3 - You have mentioned that you dont want to axe your way through the first 5 levels. Unfortunately it is still the easiest way to go. Sleep them, Hypno them, and beat them down with the good 'ol rusty axe one by one. Anything else might feel gimped for you, especially after a sorcerer. Even on higher levels the feeling of a failsafe mass hold in one hand, and a "critting for 16x extra damage" axe in the other hand is amazing.
    Bleh. I'll look just like all the other level 1 Non-Fighter or FVS Warforged, though >_>

4 - Kobold shamans reflex DCs are most easily avoided with a wisdom save spell... Also with the wizard you can change spells even mid quest, so you can freely experiment.
    I suppose I could find a good will save spell to use on Kobold Shamans, though their will save might be even higher being a spell caster class. Perhaps a fort save spell? Do Wizards even have one in their first two tiers of spells?

They're so annoying, though. I don't know what they officially have, but it always seems like they have a much higher reflex than any of the other kobolds, except for maybe the kobold rogues/sneaks. Even on a 20 CHA Sorcerer with Spell Focus: Conjuration, flinging Niac's (which I haven't made lately because of this) will result in many saves... and yet I can hit almost every other kobold just fine with it >_>
    Once I get my moods under control, I might actually get a character past level 7... ooh, shiny!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    I suppose I could find a good will save spell to use on Kobold Shamans, though their will save might be even higher being a spell caster class. Perhaps a fort save spell? Do Wizards even have one in their first two tiers of spells?
    I've been soloing my wiz quite a bit lately. She's only lvl 6, but I can share what works for me on those kobolds.

Chill Touch is a great fort save spell. I never leave home without it. It will usually 1-shot kobold shamans. Its main drawback is you have to be very close for it to work. Hit them with a Sonic Blast first from range. It has a chance to daze (will save), and it can be aimed. It doesn't do as much damage as most AOE spells...but the daze procs suprisingly often...even without evocation focus. I use a Resonance item (+50% sonic damage) and can take out a half dozen kobolds with one well-aimed blast.

More good low level kobold shammy killer spells:

Melf's Acid Arrow - No save. Hit 'em with it and duck out of sight and wait for for the dots to do their work.

Nightshield & Resist Energy: Acid - Lowbie kobolds like to use magic missle and acid.
    . moar dots!
    C.L.A.W. of Thelanis
    Mowce: rog/ran/ftr | Soalanthen: wiz | Dwillon: ftr/ran | Phaelum: bardbarian | Sengbing: monk

Community Member

I recently TR'd my cleric to a Human Wizard and I can tell you that if you can get through the quests with the level 1 acid spell and fire spell just fine and their upgrades once you can get them at level 3 and level 5.

This was my very first character and I did not save any my low level stuff and had to basically start from scratch in Korthos and the harbor.

As a wizard I am carrying acid and fire spells as I level up or necromancy spells if they are available for damage. At least till I get to level 12 and get the better PM shroud. Not looking forward to being a zombie at level 6. I am taking all the necessary feats to be a PM so my elemental damage spells are not that great, especially compared to when I ran my sorc through these levels. And I will take enchantment feats to help with crowd control as that will be secondary as I am finding that I need to group with the wizard more so than I did with the sorc.

Quote Originally Posted by spunkrawker View Post
    I've been soloing my wiz quite a bit lately. She's only lvl 6, but I can share what works for me on those kobolds.

Chill Touch is a great fort save spell. I never leave home without it. It will usually 1-shot kobold shamans. Its main drawback is you have to be very close for it to work. Hit them with a Sonic Blast first from range. It has a chance to daze (will save), and it can be aimed. It doesn't do as much damage as most AOE spells...but the daze procs suprisingly often...even without evocation focus. I use a Resonance item (+50% sonic damage) and can take out a half dozen kobolds with one well-aimed blast.
    Out of curiosity, are you using Empower and/or Maximize on Chill Touch? While I did use it for its power and lack of damage save on my Sorcerer, I didn't quite one-hit kill them, and this was with the +1 caster robe.

I may run a Human Wizard instead, considering I wouldn't really enjoy being a Warforged.

More good low level kobold shammy killer spells:

Melf's Acid Arrow - No save. Hit 'em with it and duck out of sight and wait for for the dots to do their work.
    This spell and how useful it was was what convinced me to go Earth Savant XD Well, actually, it was Acid Fog, but eh.

Nightshield & Resist Energy: Acid - Lowbie kobolds like to use magic missle and acid.
    Oh yeah... on a Wizard it would be much easier to fit Resist Energy in (I have wands for my Sorc). So yeah.

I never leave home without Shield, though XD It's too good.

I will be sure to actually try Sonic Blast, though. Perhaps it'll be useful for those buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mubjon View Post
    I recently TR'd my cleric to a Human Wizard and I can tell you that if you can get through the quests with the level 1 acid spell and fire spell just fine and their upgrades once you can get them at level 3 and level 5.
    AoE spam then?

This was my very first character and I did not save any my low level stuff and had to basically start from scratch in Korthos and the harbor.
    So not even a Spellboost robe?

As a wizard I am carrying acid and fire spells as I level up or necromancy spells if they are available for damage. At least till I get to level 12 and get the better PM shroud. Not looking forward to being a zombie at level 6. I am taking all the necessary feats to be a PM so my elemental damage spells are not that great, especially compared to when I ran my sorc through these levels. And I will take enchantment feats to help with crowd control as that will be secondary as I am finding that I need to group with the wizard more so than I did with the sorc.
    Hmm.

Well, alright. All of this advice is useful.

Community Member

AoE spam then?
    Yes, you normally don't have enough sp to single target things out so the easy way is to hit 3+ mobs at a time with an AoE.
    Also, killing more than one thing at a time is always satisfying.

At early levels a combination of Acid Spray/Burning hands/Scorch/Fireball (matching clickies too of course.) is enough to get you by. Carry a single target spell (I like scorching ray, no save = great) that you maximize for bosses.
    Around the time the lv1 spells start to lack behind you'll be able to use wall of fire, acid rain and ice storm. After that...well, most things will start to pan out by then.

Quote Originally Posted by OsOscarius View Post
    Yes, you normally don't have enough sp to single target things out so the easy way is to hit 3+ mobs at a time with an AoE.
    Also, killing more than one thing at a time is always satisfying.

At early levels a combination of Acid Spray/Burning hands/Scorch/Fireball (matching clickies too of course.) is enough to get you by. Carry a single target spell (I like scorching ray, no save = great) that you maximize for bosses.
    Around the time the lv1 spells start to lack behind you'll be able to use wall of fire, acid rain and ice storm. After that...well, most things will start to pan out by then.
    I suppose there is.

On my Sorcerer, I just discovered that I can have an un-emp, un-maxed Acid Blast and an emped maxed Acid Blast on the same toolbar. This is excellent.

I'm dealing upwards of 233 acid damage to groups of enemies, before crits. This is delicious.

I did the same thing with Melf's, so that way, without having to fiddle with my metamagics, I can easily drop a nice DoT on any boss.

That being said, this has nothing to do with Wizards. Ahem.

It will certainly be interesting to roll a wizard whenever I do so. Perhaps I should just stick to my sorc. I mean, I gave him Web, and it's certainly useful.

Wizard lvl1-4 use what ever Gaxe you can find and get Nightshield, Shocking Grasp and Hypno spells

lvl4-lvl8 do what ever until lvl8 and GET FIREWALL.

lvl8-LVL20 Crowd Control and FW everything.( exceptions to the rule dependant on end bosses)

With a wiz you want to group the mobs up and hit them all up at once with something, you really never want to kill any one mob.

Its all about timing, gathering, and destroying the group in whatever way you wish, this could be hypno, fireball, hands ... ect.

The challenging part is the timing, setting the mobs up, this is more challenging when in a group, you get to learn how to read what the melee's are doing before they know and be planning for it and casting before its needed so it is ready when the mobs are in position.

Low levels; yea you need to be willing to do a little melee its just too costly to use a spell to kill one mob, and for the most part it is actually faster.

Community Member

Steps to absolute dominance in low level quests as WF wizard from lev 1:

Requirments: having other character to fund all that stuff.

1. Get Lesser Cunning trinket for your wizard (+50sp) and pirate hats with sp (I dont rememeber tiers, but they are easy and cheap to get). Buy lowest possible ML bounding to char +int gear. Get archivist necklage and twisted talisman for later.

2. Get yourself 2 clean crafting items with large slots, get into lev 70 guild, enjoy your +80sp, +20hp gear. In case of not having lev 70 guild option, go for medium slots (much lower requirment)

3. Buy few stacks of superior freeze I and superior spark I pots

4. Buy some repair critical pots

5. Memorize Niacs cold ray and Shocking grasp

6. Go inside some quests and kill everything and everyone with those 2 spells.

7. Level up to lev 3, get melf acid arrow, use it on bosses or things that tend to save against niacs to often.

6. Level up to lev 5, get acid blast/fireball and displacement, wear bladesmark docent, kill everything and everyone in your sight.

7. level up to lev 7, get acid rain, become a GOD

I am currently leveling TRed WF wiz, all quests done on elite solo, I was lev 7 when U11 arrived and since then I am on elite streak. Last quest Ive done before U11 was elite Proof is in the poison solo as lev 7 wizard. No sp pots. Never swung a weapon at my enemies

With niacs and grasp costing 4sp since U9, arcanes are destroying low level content with same ease as they are destroying high level content - you just have to free yourself from "get masters touch and greataxe" mentality

Quote Originally Posted by Cartheron View Post
    Steps to absolute dominance in low level quests as WF wizard from lev 1:

Requirments: having other character to fund all that stuff.
    I don't twink.

Community Member

Then you will not be able to just skip shrines

Since you are not against using echoes (my personal soloing rule - if echoes kicked in, I am out of sp and either try to get to the shrine without casting spells or just recall), it means that all this sp twinking is more or less irrelevant, just buy superior pots (they are dirt cheap) and abuse the no-save shocking grasp against high-reflex targets and just niacs everything else.

You can also go very, very far with charms and summons. Don't charm the shamans - charm the mooks, then run past in the confusion.

Many wizards spend a ton of resources trying to spell-DPS things down, and that's not a path that is for the faint of heart. The people who group, get dungeon alert and then nuke can do it. The single-target spells though, don't bother. Your best bet is some form of control.

A while back I leveled a test wizard on the premise that I didn't need any direct damage spells until wall of fire. There were a few areas that were tougher than others, but on the whole it worked far, far better than trying to DPS folks down with a limited first-life low-twink spell pool.

Another thing to look at would be eternal wands - you can get a brace of those and do moderate damage with them at lower levels.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Zachsi had a good idea about putting enhanced and regular spells on the toolbar. I liked the new settings that allowed you to put the metamagics on individual spells, but didn't even think about this. Good tip.
    What do you mean a -6 armor class is no good any more?

Proud handler of Baldric, Melkazar, Clant, Mulray, Tirimon, Mallon.
    Remember, if one of them falls off a cliff, it's actually my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by RangerOne View Post
    Zachsi had a good idea about putting enhanced and regular spells on the toolbar. I liked the new settings that allowed you to put the metamagics on individual spells, but didn't even think about this. Good tip.
    I tried it out of curiosity just now while I was fooling around in Kobold's Assault with a level 20 and a level 16 in the party.

It was a pleasant discovery.

Community Member EnjoyTheJourney's Avatar

I'm running a non-twink wizard now (elven enchantress in training), and I've found the following works just fine:

acid spray - works on oozes, unlike its fire equivalent, but can be replaced by sonic blast, below
    sonic blast (ranged "bouncing" AOE with good CC for 4 SPs, works on oozes, Will save is a good complement to other Reflex save spells you might use, ie: web)
    shocking grasp (no early mobs with immunities, no saving throw, instakill from level 3 for many mobs)
    monster summoning 1 - when soloing early and no twink, the Celestial Dog is great for spotting invisible mobs and absorbing aggro. Mediocre damage, but that's not its role.
    web - strong CC choice

I've found limited use, but some use, for charm person in earlier levels and for command undead, typically to sow some confusion when taking on large spawns. I'd usually prefer to just kill stuff, though.

I don't bother with hypnotism because I'm not using weapons to fight mobs; also, if I can cast sonic blast and do damage while dazing mobs, why use a spell that dazes mobs, but doesn't do any damage? I recognize that hypnotism can be used well, but I'd rather be direct and quick about taking mobs out, instead of using hypnotism and then taking time to close to melee range. Take Mental Toughness early and use an eternal damaging wand (fire or acid) to take the last sliver of life on a regular basis, and you're likely to be in good shape, most of the time, for your SP count.

You don't need to go the melee route when playing a young wizard, when soloing and no twink.
    Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney; 10-04-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachski View Post
    Out of curiosity, are you using Empower and/or Maximize on Chill Touch? While I did use it for its power and lack of damage save on my Sorcerer, I didn't quite one-hit kill them, and this was with the +1 caster robe.
    Ah, yes, I forgot to mention I have a Greater Nullification item for +40% negative energy damage. You can craft shards for this at a relatively low crafting level. Superior Null. (+50%) would be better, but I can't craft it yet.
    .moar dots
    C.L.A.W. of Thelanis
    Mowce: rog/ran/ftr | Soalanthen: wiz | Dwillon: ftr/ran | Phaelum: bardbarian | Sengbing: monk

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Wizards get free Spell feats, lots of spell slots, get higher lvl spells a lvl before Sorcs.

High Int means lots of skill points....I put mine into Hide/MS and eventually got inspired by Ghoste's Shadow Mage videos.

Capstone adds to DCs. If you go Pale Master, Lich Form adds to Int.

So Wizards can get much higher DCs than Sorcs. Which makes their CC spells more effective. But also their Insta Kill spells.

I have no experience with Arch Mage, so can't say much about that PRE option.

My Wizards, sneak, CC, and melee....but also use Max/Empowered Damage over Time spells.... I tend to Nuke with the free Necro Bolt effects from Pale Master and keep Death Aura up when I can.

Lots of buffs on a Wizard. And the free spell feats means you can take Extend early...so your low lvl buffs actually last long enough to be useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

I TRed from a sorcerer into a wizard so I can give you a few advicces.
    1) Realize that you are NOT the nuker of the party. Not only you lack the Savant enhancement, your SP is significantly lower.
    2) Crowd control and insta death spells are the key. Either spell focus conjuration or evocation, and necromancy are pretty much the most common feats for a wizard.
    3) Firewall firewall firewall. While you don't do a lot of DPS, a firewall is always great. Zerg, take all the aggro of the dungeon on your butt (As long as you can survive) then firewall them all to hell. Same thing goes for a sorcerer, but I feel like it's more important for a wizard.
    4) Don't feel bad for not joining the fight. If weak mobs are attacking, let the melee guys or the sorcerers take care of them. You are better when it comes to the stronger mobs, where crowd control and insta deaths can save the day.
    5) Warforged can be either pale master or an arch mage but a fleshy should only be a pale master. I can't say which is better, personaly I am going to TR into another Wizard, this time a warforged so I could judge it for myself. The solo ability of a pale master is absolutly incredible, I can hardly point into quest that I couldn't complete on my own at level. My best example: Litany of the dead, elite, level 16. (Base quest level is 15). I assume warforged can solo just as easily, the only difference is healing ticks vs reconstruct.

That's pretty much all I can think of for now, I'll add more if it comes to my mind.
    The transition from Sorc to Wiz can be frustrating, but once you get used to it that's just awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast