Community Member

Default Radiant Servant Build (Lvl 8 so far)

Hey all,

This is my first character in DDO and after trying a few other alts, I really love this guy and his playstyle. I want to be an extremely effective anti-undead Cleric, while also being the best healer possible. I am not very concerned with offensive spell casting or melee, though I do keep a few spells on my bar that are offensive and do enjoy things like Dismissal that fit the anti-specific targets type theme (elementals/undead) ect. ect. I'm sure I'll make good use of Blade Barrier when it comes as well as I hear its great.

So really, I'm just looking for suggestions on how to take this up to 20. I only play in groups mainly with a wizard and rogue, but also PUG with randoms for whenever when they are not on. When I do occasionally solo I pick quests maybe 1 level below, bring a hireling, and just kind of heal them and my summon monster and do light damage (unless its undead which I steamroll)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.11.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Goodheals 
    Level 8 True Neutral Human Male
    (8 Cleric) 
    Hit Points: 122
    Spell Points: 515 
    BAB: 6\6\11
    Fortitude: 7
    Reflex: 2
    Will: 11

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 8)
    Strength             10                    10
    Dexterity            10                    10
    Constitution         12                    12
    Intelligence          8                     8
    Wisdom               16                    20
    Charisma             16                    17

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 8)
    Balance               0                     0
    Bluff                 3                     3
    Concentration         5                    12
    Diplomacy             7                    14
    Disable Device       n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                3                     3
    Heal                  3                     7
    Hide                  0                     0
    Intimidate            3                     3
    Jump                  0                     0
    Listen                3                     5
    Move Silently         0                     0
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform               n/a                   n/a
    Repair               -1                    -1
    Search               -1                    -1
    Spot                  3                     5
    Swim                  0                     0
    Tumble                n/a                   n/a
    Use Magic Device      n/a                   n/a

Level 1 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Human Bonus) Extra Turning
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness
    Enhancement: Improved Heal I
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
    Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
    Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I

Level 2 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
    Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery I

Level 3 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell
    Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I

Level 4 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Improved Heal II
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II

Level 5 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom I
    Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II
    Enhancement: Cleric Improved Turning I

Level 6 (Cleric)
    Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
    Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant I

Level 7 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Cleric Charisma I

Level 8 (Cleric)
    Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III

That's a solid healer, but probably isn't going to be capable of doing much in the way of tanking or melee. But the good news is he should rock against turning undead.

Keep buying the enhancement lines you've already got.
    You'll also want to get the Quicken feat at some point, too.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Warlock12/Monk3(14th life) || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

Community Member

Nice start to a great caster build. You can get some +to hit items and buff that up and with the 16 base Charisma you can get Divine Might II, with a +2 tome to charisma you can get Divine Might III adding +6 to your damage. So if you want to melee that is possible, although you will not hit much in content above normal even with the help.

Get a +2 tome to Wisdom so that you can get that stat to 18 base along with your level ups will give you some great offensive casting ability at cap and you can still get a +4 tome to Wisdom to make your cleric as any that started with 18 wisdom and used a +2 tome to begin with.

As well get a +6 con item and a +2 tome to con as soon as possible. At 12 constitution you might seem a bit squishy till you get the items to help boost those hp. It is a personal preference of course but I liked having 450+ HP on my capped cleric.

Other than those three things, and they are more personal in my opinion than anything else. You will not have any problems getting to level 20 with this character. Everyone is in need of a caster type cleric that casts crowd control spells and heals along with the occasional implosion and blade barrier when it is called for.

Make sure to get Comet Fall and Greater Command (I think that is the name) as those are really good spells that you will be able to land with the current build and have even more fun once you boost your wisdom score up with items and tomes.

Community Member

Thanks all!

Ya I didn't include gear in the picture but I'm rocking +2 or +3 to all my stats on gear right now. I also have a +2 Sacred Bonus to turns (which I read stacks with +4 from the spell but would love confirmation). I also have some other nice things like 15 Spell Resistance and a Wizardry II item. Lastly I make heavy use of wands/scrolls, so my SP which feels a little low to me (though I have no other experience to base it off of) is generally supplemented by Wands and Scrolls during fights unless burst healing is needed. The downside is it hurts my wallet =D but I just sell crafting mats on the Auctioneer and it seems to work out.

I have enough "free" ddo points from being a sub to buy a +2 wis tomb. Maybe I'll do that.

So I get Greater Command next level which seems to be one of the first spells I'll use that cares about Spell Resistance. Think its about time I start putting enhancements/gear and maybe 1 feat into Spell Pen? Whats the best school to find a +1 or +2 to DC modifier gear piece for CC?

I think I'll grab Quicken around 15 or 18. Content so far doesn't interrupt my concentration much and I haven't needed the quick casts compared to the SP loss. I hear its important mostly for using big mass healing during heavy endgame content.

Heighten is probably good around 15 or 18 as well right? To buff up the DCs of like Greater Command?

Anyone have any tricks to boost my SP? Right now I have no regen (does it exist) between shrines and only manage to get by using Wands/Scrolls for light damage and keeping my offensive casting relatively low. I also make heavy use of Radiant Servant Heals since they are "free".

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Goodheals View Post
    Thanks all!

So I get Greater Command next level which seems to be one of the first spells I'll use that cares about Spell Resistance. Think its about time I start putting enhancements/gear and maybe 1 feat into Spell Pen? Whats the best school to find a +1 or +2 to DC modifier gear piece for CC?
    Enchantment and conjuration would be what you want to boost your CC DCs.

Enchantment for greater command and conjuration for comet fall. Then of course for damage dealing almost all your damage spells are evocation (blade barriers, Divine punishment, searing light etc)

I think I'll grab Quicken around 15 or 18. Content so far doesn't interrupt my concentration much and I haven't needed the quick casts compared to the SP loss. I hear its important mostly for using big mass healing during heavy endgame content.

Heighten is probably good around 15 or 18 as well right? To buff up the DCs of like Greater Command?
    I took quicken at level 12 on my cleric as I wanted it for blade barriers and to help get off heals a bit easier without being interrupted. Heighten I took at 18, but then I took bastard sword at 15 as I wanted to have some decent melee weapon dmg than wielding twohanders and giving up the shield. I dropped extend for the bastard sword feat as it was not needed really by then.

Anyone have any tricks to boost my SP? Right now I have no regen (does it exist) between shrines and only manage to get by using Wands/Scrolls for light damage and keeping my offensive casting relatively low. I also make heavy use of Radiant Servant Heals since they are "free".
    Unfortunately till you can get a Torc or create an conc-op item from the shroud you are stuck with basically raising your Wisdom score as high as possible and getting the best power/wizardy/magi/archmagi items that you can find. I think at that level or maybe level 9 you can begin to wear the magi items that give 100 SP. And as you get up in levels you can upgrade it. Power items go to 100, Wizardry I starts out at 25 and goes to Wizardry VII that gives 175. Magi is a flat 100 sp and archmagi is a flat 200 (I believe the earliest you can get archmagi is level 15). Then once you can craft greensteel from the shroud you can get another 150 and you can get +9 wisdom on a weapon (+6 and +1, +2 exceptional)

ETA: there is a trinket in teh cove right now that gives a +30 stackable SP with everything but itself as well. It is the cunning trinket and you can get it to tier 2 pretty easily I have created one for both of my caster builds ( TR Wiz and Sorc)
    Last edited by Mubjon; 10-03-2011 at 10:15 AM.

10 str - Useless.
    10 dex - More useless.
    12 con - I would never start a char with less than 14 con. Especialy a cleric.

16 con, 16 wis and the rest into char is what I would do.

For being REALLY good at destroying undead (Read: Turn undead) you will need good gear and most likely some past lives, as well as more charisma.

If you want the "Ultimate undead turner" you should run two or three lives of cleric before the last one. Yes it's a long way, but that's the best way to get there. Will also allow you to start with higher charisma.

I still think that any cleric has a high potential of being an undead destroyer, without Turn undead you can use the positive energy burst. The best example I can give you is how I so easily wipe the undead at Crystal Cove level 25. Throw a mass heal at the center of them, two TOP then a burst to finish the job. 6 seconds and an entire mob is down.
    The down side is that it requires more time, and the range is smaller. On the other hand you heal yourself and others during the proccess.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Such755 View Post
    10 str - Useless.
    10 dex - More useless.
    12 con - I would never start a char with less than 14 con. Especialy a cleric.

16 con, 16 wis and the rest into char is what I would do.

For being REALLY good at destroying undead (Read: Turn undead) you will need good gear and most likely some past lives, as well as more charisma.

If you want the "Ultimate undead turner" you should run two or three lives of cleric before the last one. Yes it's a long way, but that's the best way to get there. Will also allow you to start with higher charisma.

I still think that any cleric has a high potential of being an undead destroyer, without Turn undead you can use the positive energy burst. The best example I can give you is how I so easily wipe the undead at Crystal Cove level 25. Throw a mass heal at the center of them, two TOP then a burst to finish the job. 6 seconds and an entire mob is down.
    The down side is that it requires more time, and the range is smaller. On the other hand you heal yourself and others during the proccess.
    Ya bumping STR and DEX maybe have been a small mistake, but it was my first char and it has had a few benefits. AC/Reflex (especially with my +4 reflex save item) are still relevant to me so far, and carry weight has been a semi-limiting factor at times, so the STR and DEX have certainly helped me so far. I understand that at 20 both will most likely be wasted stats but such is life with my first char =P

Maybe at when I get into the late levels I'll drop the +turning level them and focus simply on using Radiant Servant Damage + AOE Heal to do tons of damage to undead instead of trying to turn them. Looks like the enhancements and gear can easily be swapped around then with no hard to fix problems (I'de still want Extra Turning I would imagine regardless).

Thanks again all good advice and glad to majority agree I'm on a decent path with no glaring serious problems.

If you have the time, you can, along with the Cunning Trinket, buy 3 or 4 extra hats in the Cove and put varying levels of Wizardry on them (to use as you level up) to give you as much starting SP as you can get right after shrining. The Archmagi hat is ML 15, which is really nice considering how hard it is to pull some of the other Archmagi items to be found in the game.

Only thing I see that raises red flags is a CON of 12. There are some places in the game where you are going to be getting hit HARD, even if all you're doing is healing, and having lowish HP will put you (and your party) in serious jeopardy unless you're able to heal yourself very quickly. You should probably be looking to pick as many CON and HP boosting enhancements you can fit in, along with being on a constant lookout for HP boosting items to slot. A +6 CON item is a MUST, as well as a Heavy Fortification item as soon as you can get it (and Moderate Fortification before that.) Lowish HP + 0% Fort + critical hit = dead cleric. Remember - a dead cleric heals nobody.

(Edit - looks like you're on the right path with Toughness enhancements, you'll likely want Greater Adaptability: Constitution when you can get it as well...)
    Last edited by PNellesen; 10-03-2011 at 03:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...