Default Force of Personality

Is Force of Personality a recommended feat for drow sorcerers?
    I'm asking because most, if not all spells that require a will save also need to bypass spell resistance, which is pretty high for drows anyway.

Huh? Oh eh, sorry! *buffs haste*

Spell Resistance is pointless at high levels. Almost everything in an at-level quest or an epic will bypass it due to their caster level alone.

What makes FoP low value is that most will save based effects are prevented by some buff. Magic Circle/Protection From Evil, Deathward (Inflicts/Harm), and Freedom of Movement are the ones that matter most.

The other will based effects have such high DC's that you're still likely going to fail anyway. These would be many Crushing Despair casters, and a specific trap in Epic Partycrashers. My Cleric can buff up to over a 40 will save, and still fails regularly on those effects.

Thanks for the answer.
    I'll go with a Spell Pen feat then.

Community Member

Spell Resistance is pointless at high levels. Almost everything in an at-level quest or an epic will bypass it due to their caster level alone.
    Racial abilities and enhancements stack with gear. So, it's not pointless if they have something like the Occult Slayer set, or the new Mirror Cloak, which would give them over 32 spell resistance and closer to 40 with the latter.
    Other than that, there's no reason to have Force of Personality.

Quote Originally Posted by soulaeon View Post
    Racial abilities and enhancements stack with gear. So, it's not pointless if they have something like the Occult Slayer set, or the new Mirror Cloak, which would give them over 32 spell resistance and closer to 40 with the latter.
    Other than that, there's no reason to have Force of Personality.
    Spell resistance doesn't stack, no matter the source.
    30 spell resistance from 20 monk levels or being a lvl 20 drow is the highest that can be achieved in the game currently AFAIK, and it's useless at high levels.

Spell Resistance doesn't stack, but Force of Personality isn't worth taking for a completely different reason.

Reason: there is only two Will save spell that you really have to worry about - Otto's Reistable Dance and the disco ball.

Otto's Irrisistable Dance doesn't have a Will save, so Force of Personality won't help there.
    Protection from Evil/Magic Circle Against Evil both protect against Command
    Freedom of Movement protects against all of the Hold/Mass Hold spells.

Will-save spells are incredibly potent against anyone who doesn't have the correct preventative measures, but they're pointless against most characters once you have access to FoM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaegarnel View Post
    Spell resistance doesn't stack, no matter the source.
    30 spell resistance from 20 monk levels or being a lvl 20 drow is the highest that can be achieved in the game currently AFAIK, and it's useless at high levels.
    Correct, except that the divine Spell Resistance buff gives 32 SR. Even that is pointless in H/E Vale, Amrath, and even normal IQ.

SR is excellent at low levels (Phiarlan Mirror Cloak, Infested Armor), but begins to be far less effective from level 8 or so on.

On the Interwebz, location is meaningless

Quote Originally Posted by gloopygloop View Post
    Spell Resistance doesn't stack, but Force of Personality isn't worth taking for a completely different reason.

Reason: there is only two Will save spell that you really have to worry about - Otto's Reistable Dance and the disco ball.

Otto's Irrisistable Dance doesn't have a Will save, so Force of Personality won't help there.
    Freedom of Movement protects against all of the Hold/Mass Hold spells.

Will-save spells are incredibly potent against anyone who doesn't have the correct preventative measures, but they're pointless against most characters once you have access to FoM.
    Also : Symbol of stunning.
    Crystal Cove casters use it a lot.
    My melee wish he had higher will save ...

How often do I meet these spells in endgame?
    Monastery of the Scorpion is the only quest I remember where I saw disco balls.
    I don't remember any Resistable Dances at all.

Quote Originally Posted by aerendhil View Post
    Also : Symbol of stunning.
    Crystal Cove casters use it a lot.
    My melee wish he had higher will save ...
    For some reason, I had Symbol of Stunning in my mind as a Fort save.

So that's 3 Will Save spells.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarah View Post
    How often do I meet these spells in endgame?
    Monastery of the Scorpion is the only quest I remember where I saw disco balls.
    I don't remember any Resistable Dances at all.
    monestary

epic von series

ummm

that's it i think lol. the only time you'll see the balls of happiness spammed is von4, and good luck with yer spell pen check in there. and by good luck, i mean 'may all your rolls be 20'.
    Soturi . Ghallanda Rerolled
    [7/18/2012 12:22:24 AM] D. H.: i mean, i'm not as experienced as, say, a vegas hooker, but i can confidently say that you're a lot more aggressive than like 90% of the guys i've been with.

They will eventually fix those spells .... which are not supposed to protect from Command and Greater Command .....
    On Thelanis: Hallelujah (Spellsinger) - Jerryrigged Juggernaut (caster FvS) - Sepulchral (Druid) - Chopchopchop (Warlock) - Alleyshadow (retired gimped monkcher). Formerly on Keeper : Misericordia (Thug) - Mumbo Jumbo (Battle Caster) - Infernal Can (WF Kinda Cleric) - Halleluyah (Melee Spellsinger).

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Can View Post
    They will eventually fix those spells .... which are not supposed to protect from Command and Greater Command .....
    And that'll be a sad day for everyone. These spells are spammed CONSTANTLY in end game content, at such ridiculously high DC's that not even 40+ will save Clerics and Monks can reliably save from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty_Can View Post
    I was under the impression that they would someday (SoonTM) fix Protection From Evil class abilities, etc. so that they would finally protect from Command/Greater Command.

It's in the spell description, after all.

I was under the impression that they would someday (SoonTM) fix Protection From Evil class abilities, etc. so that they would finally protect from Command/Greater Command.

It's in the spell description, after all.
    Some info:

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    Actually they should fix the PFE spell to not block Command and Greater Command, as those are not spells which grant ongoing control.

Charm / Dominate = ongoing control = blocked by PFE
    Hold / Command / Dance = one-time control = not blocked by PFE
    More info:

Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    Protection from Evil from a spell effect (and not a worn item effect) will protect against Command effects. Technically, this is a bug if going by Module 3 release notes, which was the last time any information was given on the intended behavior of Protection from Evil.
    Developer confirming:

Quote Originally Posted by Genasi View Post
    And as for the Protection From Evil discrepancies, according to A_D's analysis (which appears accurate), it seems a nerf rather than a buff is in order.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarisa View Post
    And that'll be a sad day for everyone. These spells are spammed CONSTANTLY in end game content, at such ridiculously high DC's that not even 40+ will save Clerics and Monks can reliably save from it.
    Do those DC need to be fixed and balanced? Yes.

Should all those characters with dumped will saves have problems when foes target their weak (read: dumped) will save? Yes.
    On Thelanis: Hallelujah (Spellsinger) - Jerryrigged Juggernaut (caster FvS) - Sepulchral (Druid) - Chopchopchop (Warlock) - Alleyshadow (retired gimped monkcher). Formerly on Keeper : Misericordia (Thug) - Mumbo Jumbo (Battle Caster) - Infernal Can (WF Kinda Cleric) - Halleluyah (Melee Spellsinger).