Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Take a quest that works best when everyone splits up...

And fill it with people who have never carried a single healing pot in their DDO career....

and watch the fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by jaegarnel View Post
    What does that have to do with anything? Any cleric can heal, whether he does other things or not.
    If you got a cleric who didn't heal in one of your groups, he was a bad cleric but a cleric who does nothing but heal is almost as bad imo.

A fighter who whines about the cleric doing other things besides healing him; who seems to require the cleric to stay next to him to do anything, is much more of a liability and a burden than a battle cleric.

I have both a melee and a caster cleric and if any party member complained about my meleeing/spellcasting, and suggested I stand back and heal all the time, they'd earn an instant spot on my squelch list.
    Luckily I haven't yet run into anyone like that (though some people have asked me whether I healed other people on my melee cleric, as if 1 lvl of fighter somehow cancelled all the cleric lvls).
    the lfm said we needed heals it was an elite coal chamber run
    So if he even used a small amount of healing would be fine since that was posted in the lfm
    Quote Originally Posted by darkzane View Post
    Hey, you're the "I've done this quest 300 times" guy!

Actually it was my group for an ingredients run which you joined.

Glad I'm on your "list". I went back for that sorc you guys left behind after you dropped down the shaft and decided to zerg ahead. I figure anybody who is running away from the "healer" must be able to take care of themselves.

Can you post your characters so I can avoid you in the future?

Thanks!
    No don't try to save face ,you know it was my group and I specifically put in my LFM we need a healer you contributed absolutely nothing to the party

and my Characters are

Hurtzz
    Ohmzz
    Critz
    Mishezz
    Killzz
    Powersupply
    Rezzin
    Panttera
    Bluezz
    Gimpzz
    Bullzzeye
    Lyrickzz
    Nameerror
    Skillzz
    Tankzz
    Stuntzz
    Dimmakzz
    Frenzyzz

have fun with your groups
    Don't congratulate mediocrity,It makes people comfortable with being Normal. (Hurtzz)
    Nameerror,Bluezz,Tankzz,Powersupply,Rezzin,Ohmzz, Critz,Skillzz,Bullzzeye,Frenzyzz,Killzz,Mishezz, Favorzz,Hurtzz,Stuntzz,Panttera,Stuntzz,Beastzz, and Sinnzz

Healbot is a waste of a slot

Fighter that just runs to their death is a waste of a slot...

In Crystal Cove my idea of an ideal party has 6 blue bars actually... fully independent self healers all of them...
    Khyber: Pinel ip!140+ / Laerak 120 / Sibeli 80 / Kaeral 100 / Gilmara 60 - Crafter 150/145/145

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

Hey, you're the "I've done this quest 300 times" guy!

Actually it was my group for an ingredients run which you joined.

Glad I'm on your "list". I went back for that sorc you guys left behind after you dropped down the shaft and decided to zerg ahead. I figure anybody who is running away from the "healer" must be able to take care of themselves.

Can you post your characters so I can avoid you in the future?

Thanks!
    I will always go back for someone left behind. Especially if I am the healer.

Anyone who runs off by themselves I assume they have made a choice to handle everything themselves.....

But...the first rule of reading LFMs is if it says they need a healer......they really do need a healer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by thisgamesull View Post
    the lfm said we needed heals it was an elite coal chamber run
    So if he even used a small amount of healing would be fine since that was posted in the lfm

No don't try to save face ,you know it was my group and I specifically put in my LFM we need a healer you contributed absolutely nothing to the party

and my Characters are

Hurtzz
    Ohmzz
    Critz
    Mishezz
    Killzz
    Powersupply
    Rezzin
    Panttera
    Bluezz
    Gimpzz
    Bullzzeye
    Lyrickzz
    Nameerror
    Skillzz
    Tankzz
    Stuntzz
    Dimmakzz
    Frenzyzz

have fun with your groups
    Selective memory. I started the group to get a funk to make a blank greensteel cloak and we didn't decide to do elite until we got to the quest entry and noticed everybody was high level. The "healing" was fine until you decided to zerg off. But whatever, I don't bother with screen shots or anything so water under the bridge.

I'll avoid anything with a double Z at the end in future.

I'm on:
    Astalar
    Branntom
    Brantom
    Dimitrie
    Nisotak

If I ever join a group with you in it by mistake let me know.

Selective memory. I started the group to get a funk to make a blank greensteel cloak and we didn't decide to do elite until we got to the quest entry and noticed everybody was high level. The "healing" was fine until you decided to zerg off. But whatever, I don't bother with screen shots or anything so water under the bridge.

I'll avoid anything with a double Z at the end in future.

I'm on:
    Astalar
    Branntom
    Brantom
    Dimitrie
    Nisotak

If I ever join a group with you in it by mistake let me know.
    Will do
    Don't congratulate mediocrity,It makes people comfortable with being Normal. (Hurtzz)
    Nameerror,Bluezz,Tankzz,Powersupply,Rezzin,Ohmzz, Critz,Skillzz,Bullzzeye,Frenzyzz,Killzz,Mishezz, Favorzz,Hurtzz,Stuntzz,Panttera,Stuntzz,Beastzz, and Sinnzz

The monk was for evasion so I wanted the dex for a high reflex save and needed it for greater two weapon fighting. I already have +6 str on the gloves so divine power doesn't boost it any higher. Normally I keep divine power, divine favour, prayer and recitation up if I can.

I don't have any problems healing shroud and it's a lot more fun keeping divine punishment up while having auto attack on and using myself as a mass heal anchor. Lets me use the burst as well which is nice. Unfortunately I only have kamas for DR breakers so my melee DPS suffers even further but between hitting the boss, divine punishment, aura, bursts, mass heal it seems to work out.

Why did you find it hard to heal on your clonk? Was this before the radiant servant prestige? Were you a healing amp build?
    It wasn't a clonk, it was a fvs that i loosely based on valiance solo cleric but built for handwraps vs kamas, i had holyburst ring shintao set and some other stuff and as dex based i just couldn't see it being worth while u can still qualify for twf on a str build on a few races u lose some ac but u can still retain some dc if u wish for the cost of con
    \
    Khyber: Tachikoma - Minniee - Oneesan - Ibuqi - Muddii -Tachee - Oneechan
    The Guardians of Golden Gold, because guarding golden gold is serious business

Community Member

Helps if the leader gives instructions and sets roles for each member, especially if its a pug since not everyone is familiar with your style of running the cove. I'm a sorc and I know i got it a lot easier than most in this quest, but I've done this quest around 100 times and I do notice that the key to this quest is teamwork and communication, very easy to get 300 with 9+ minutes remaining.

Why didn't you ask the guy if he was self suffient anyways? You know how some people are. I've seen barbs and fighters do well by themselves on cr25 and I don't really help em except for the bosses, sometimes I get a friend who is a fighter and have to get a cleric to keep him healed since hes not self suffient, I tell the two to guard the center, heal the fighter when needed and to my suprise the fighter doesn't get heals at all, might as well gotten an extra sorc.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoran View Post
    fully independent self healers all of them...
    Hey now! Not everyone who self heals has a bluebar! (I can still solo that sack of hitpoints known as Jack Jibbers on my monk!)
    Things that if Turbine went all EXTREME PREJUDICE™ on, would actually make the game fun again.:
    • Giving us the racial PrE’s we were promised, before rolling out DDOStore™ Enhancement Trees.
    • Fixing physical defense for Rangers and Rogues. It’s ridiculous that you’re better off wearing Heavy Armor and ignoring your innate feats on these classes.
    • Cannith Crafting.
    • Update the named loot to put them on the same system.
    • Fixing the Cannith Challenges so that they can be 6 starred without incredible luck or store bought items.
    • Fixing all challenges to give us decent XP and ingredient returns for the unreasonable time we have to spend in most of them.

2014 DDO Players Council

I don't do very much damage. Against undead with the aura going, using disruption wraps and spamming fists of light I probably do ok.
    I find Mass Heal takes out the groups of skellies very nicely. Quicker than arcane's firewall, and much quicker than melee.

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by jaegarnel View Post
    If you got a cleric who didn't heal in one of your groups, he was a bad cleric but a cleric who does nothing but heal is almost as bad imo.
    I'd say worse; a cleric who never heals anyone else is still a self-sufficient toon who can be scouting and clearing and laying torches, etc.. A cleric who does nothing but heal is an almost entirely wasted slot.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantumFX View Post
    Hey now! Not everyone who self heals has a bluebar! (I can still solo that sack of hitpoints known as Jack Jibbers on my monk!)
    And also, not everyone who has a blue bar self heals. I've seen plenty of non WF wizards and sorcs who didn't seem to be able to heal themselves at all.

The person who died the most in a single run of mine was a WF pm, while a barbarian guildie died only once in about 10 runs.
    Why? Because self-healing characters tend to overestimate themselves and try to take on more than they can handle, while a good melee will start running back toward their divine as soon as his hp gets low.

I would have also been annoyed in party with a cleric that uses only bursts and aura for healing.

Seriously? He was fighting outside of the aura?... He didn't have UMD and he didn't chose to play a cleric but a fighter?

On the other hand as long as the the "whining" fighter was healed I don't understand why you shouldn't be allowed to do whatever you want.

Since the fighter backed out of the fight - The proper response is "Because your not!!!"

Three classes excel at killing undead - Clerics, Paladins and FvS. Its best to leave them to it, as there are plenty of Hobgoblins and ilk to kill as well.

A good cleric knows when to fight, crowd control and heal - and usually learns real quick who is worth keeping up and who its easier to raise later.

I've been in only one group during the cove event that begged me to shadow the WF Fighter during the run. I soon found out why - No healing amp, no ac, from what I can tell at least had 100% fort but did not seem to have any damage reduction and also had a playstyle of running into the middle of stuff and fighting there way out. I made it a game to see if I could keep him up (Everyone else was self suffecient so no robbing of heals from anyone). I was also tired of running torches and scouting so this was a "New Way" to run the Cove.

I found casting Blur with spurts of Displacement (Scrolled 30 seconds) help midigate the damage, but I was glad I can also cast Reconstruct. I used Mass cures and Heal whenever they were against Skeletons - I just made since to do this.

Main point is this If your fighting and the cleric is fighting than the quest is going in the Party's Favor. If only one of you if fighting then someone is not pulling their weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Galeria View Post
    I can see two sides to this argument.
    I am more than happy to chug 30 pots between fights, but honestly, I'd rather short man it and bring in a healbot hireling if the "real" healer is only going to keep an aura going while he plays at being a melee. It's not really teamwork if your cleric expects you to follow him around getting 20-25 hp every 15 seconds while he focuses on whatever he feels like doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by backandforth View Post
    I would have also been annoyed in party with a cleric that uses only bursts and aura for healing.
    I don't know this guy, so I can't really speak for him... maybe he really planned on only using Aura healing....

But, I personally love it when all the melees stand in my aura. It isn't just the Aura though, it means I can just keep my targetting on mobs and when I see Red bars get low toss of a burst/mass heal/mass cure. If I need to keep targetting people, I A) waste more time that could be better spent being offensive and B) tend to make more mistakes.

Just because I'm beating on things doesn't mean I'm not watching red bars. But I (and I'm sure other are better) can only do so much multitasking.... using AoE healing centered on myself I find to be by far the most efficient from a time/focus management point of view, and usually from a SP point of view as well.

(Note, there is a time and place for a dedicated tank, when that is necessary I play healbot and stop meleeing. CC is not one of those places.)
    Cannith Server :Vice Sovereign of The Guild of Calamitous Intent

Kalener (Monk) Renelak (backup band) Raoull (Mr. McStabby) Kaleray (laser heals) Kalrah (xbow rogue)

Trust me, in Cove, a Cleric makes the best scout. Followed closely by Favored Souls and Arcanes. Self-sufficent melees follow after.

Reason? RS Burst does incredible Undead damage. Mass Heal does incredible undead damage. Even on 25, it takes me two mass heals, a burst, and a few aura ticks to finish off a pack of skeletons. MCCW if they're still a bit high in the HP department.

Mass Heal -> Burst -> Mass Heal -> finish off.

Aura I will keep toggled for the damage on that and the healing it provides. And honestly, nothing can clear the undead like an RS Cleric can.

In the end, I say stupid fighter. You are clearly better at the job. He can come along and pike and melee down the hobgoblins if he really wants to.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Welcome to Argo, where our end game players are constantly striving for new and exciting ways to make themselves more gimp, and continually working towards progressively more pointless goals.
    BYOH. Know it, abide by it, or don't mess with those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    Since the fighter backed out of the fight - The proper response is "Because your not!!!"

Three classes excel at killing undead - Clerics, Paladins and FvS. Its best to leave them to it, as there are plenty of Hobgoblins and ilk to kill as well.

A good cleric knows when to fight, crowd control and heal - and usually learns real quick who is worth keeping up and who its easier to raise later.
    This. The South pocket is best cleared by one of these three types (or a firewaller, since the archers barely move). My monk usually scouts with Inviz clicky and Haste activated due to his high running speed. If i find a good purple patch, I give a holler for a skellie beater to help clear the path and THEN break my inviz and start fighting, slurping pots until the fvs or cleric arrives to fight by my side.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123