Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Just made a cleric and....

Wow.. is all I got to say.. what a thankless job. Is THIS the hell I've put my poor cleric buddies through? Whenever I play another one of my non-cleric characters and I get a healer type.. I will thank them ever day.

So far I've run int my fair share of mindlesss barbarians who.. without my help.. would have NEVER completed the quest. I don't know how many tims my divine vitality has helped my arcane bros.. or that command spell has saved the suicidal sorceror savants from the big ogres...

I'm only level six too!

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EssenceofEvil View Post
    Wow.. is all I got to say.. what a thankless job. Is THIS the hell I've put my poor cleric buddies through? Whenever I play another one of my non-cleric characters and I get a healer type.. I will thank them ever day.

So far I've run int my fair share of mindlesss barbarians who.. without my help.. would have NEVER completed the quest. I don't know how many tims my divine vitality has helped my arcane bros.. or that command spell has saved the suicidal sorceror savants from the big ogres...

I'm only level six too!
    Level 6 eh? Time to take out your frustration on some poor hapless hordes of Undead

Community Member

It gets better around 8 or 9, then by 11ish people thank you, but not so much that it becomes annoying. Not run my cleric beyond that. The lowest levels are the worst, people think cleric=hireling cleric behavior. Hasn't yet sunk in that if the barb is running on his built in speed that's faster than the others.. Few backpack rides to a shrine and most catch on. If you're lucky some folks will toss you SP pots, though usually on your own. Anytime i see quest rewards those are a top pick, unless a weapon is a huge upgrade. Clerics can burn through SP pots like crazy with a bad group, or never need to touch them with a good group.

Welcome to the world of Divines. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Honestly, at end game they aren't bad. But do expect blame for a lot of wipes, even when it's the party leader choosing to not grab any WF for Normal ToD with Summolades... Oh, wait, that was me. Still blaming the divine xD
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Welcome to Argo, where our end game players are constantly striving for new and exciting ways to make themselves more gimp, and continually working towards progressively more pointless goals.
    BYOH. Know it, abide by it, or don't mess with those who do.

Now you understand why people who have healers are so bitter at the barbs screaming MORE HJEALS!!!!!!!!!!
    To err is human, to forgive is divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
    Jinger~Docholiday~Fritobandito~Bandshee~Grudock~Seigeengine

If everyone played a divine character, the game would run much smoother. Other healer players feel your pain and will often give you stuff after a quest with one of their alts. I did that to a healer I ran with yesterday. After I found out he was a newer player, I took him to the bank and gave him some gear he would not be able to get for a while.

You can seriously tell the difference when a barbarian character is being played by someone who also has played a healer. It is like night and day. Truly amazing. You don't even have to ask. You just know.
    Jyn... Kender... Thelanis

*Insert clever comment here*

Solo from level 1 to 10. Trust me.

It gets better at 11. You get Bladebarrier, which means you can solo quests with 6-person dungeon scaling in effect and ignore the idiots.

The idiots come out in force over the weekend. Weekday players are much more competent.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post

The idiots come out in force over the weekend. Weekday players are much more competent.
    Yeah I notice that a lot.

Weekend Warriors < Everyday Soldier
    (yes the plural is intended as is)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ungood View Post
    You may now return to your WoW bashing.
    Fweebie
    "Crouching Tiger Hidden Nerfbat!"

Community Member

Default yep, solo

I generally don't solo, but after playing cleric, tired of parties. Why do barbarians think they can tank? They kind of , but more like a soldier who thinks he is a tank. I let em die. Th esmart ones run back and wait for a heal, the intelligent ones bring potions.

As a cleric I like to run in, but if it gets tough I protect the casters as best I can and heal the tank, too, and others. It is actually satisfying to see people die because I am not standing in a corner spamming my heal buttons. The best is when the barbarian type goes and tries to zerg the dungeon by him/herself. I do my thing, breaking crates, unless zerg is agreed upon. The worst is the poor sorc/wiz who doesn't understand how to not aggro. I pity them and carry their stones back to shrines.

Nice post, had to bump it up a notch.

re: solo... fighter better than barbarian, less healing (as hireling, i mean) my favorite feat is augment summoning
    true neutral poster... note the grey in my 'rep'
    kool-aid in my coffee! YEAH!
    {save me from myself}

Community Member AmatsukaIncarnate's Avatar

I think the healing becomes WAY easier after you get heal...
    Til then, good luck hjealing the army of those -50% healing amp WF arcane archers
    ~Proud member of Thac0~

Community Member

Default yeah

Quote Originally Posted by AmatsukaIncarnate View Post
    I think the healing becomes WAY easier after you get heal...
    Til then, good luck hjealing the army of those -50% healing amp WF arcane archers
    I only heal WF to 50%
    true neutral poster... note the grey in my 'rep'
    kool-aid in my coffee! YEAH!
    {save me from myself}

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by EarthFirst View Post
    I only heal WF to 50%
    i make a 50% effort to hjeal them. They move out of range, i gave my 50%.

I must admit, I pretty much enjoyed the early levels as a cleric. It's true that most... Dumb players are at the low level range, but it's very amusing to play with them sometimes. They run forward, die stupidly and blame you for it. Then you can run around and kill everything and rub it in their faces.
    Not to mantio the quests involving undead, where everyone is ****ed at you for instakilling everything before they can even scratch it :P.
    But for my future cleric and favored soul I will be mostly soloing up to level 12, where the dumb players are thinned by the experienced ones.

At higher levels people are quite supportive, they will give you east times by being more self sufficient and also often donate SP restoring potions.

Note, I am not trying to insult all the < lvl 12 players, only mantion that most stupid players don't make it past that level.

I enjoy running my dwarven cleric, but I have had some seriously frustrating experiences with him.

I think the PUG experience basically boils down to this:

The cleric heals well, fights well, uses CC and damage spells well, spents a few mana pots, and burns through a few cure wands, and the group -

1. Says nothing because that's the cleric's perceived job. (80% of the time)

2. Complains that "we could have used a few more heals" because there were a small number of deaths (sometimes just one) and EVERYONE knows that deaths are the healer's fault, even if you have 150-HP rouges with light fortification trying to tank Harry in the Shroud. (15% of the time)

3. Thanks the cleric "for the great heals!" and passes some mana pots or cure wands, either in the end chest or in a trade window. (5% of the time)
    All on Thelanis: Archenpaul Sixblade, Archernicus Thornwood, Gregorovic Redcloak, Hermanius Brightblade, Jaklomeo Evermug, Jonathraxius Kane, and Praetoreus Silvershield.

Cogito ergo summopere periculosus.

Community Member

What people are saying about being better players after level 12 is true. I have TR'd my cleric as I want to make him better with some past lives. I will solo from level 1 to 12 though if possible when I get him back, or see if I can get some of my friends to make characters to run with him.

I have had my share of pots given though and my cleric had a pretty good reputation for being a good healer. I did more than just heal, I CC'd first then healed or cast offensive spells. My comet fall and greater command hardly missed on the content I ran him with (save epics) so I did manage to mitigate a lot of damage.

The experience that I gained from the first run to 20 with him has helped me tremedously that I can go into a quest 2 levels above my new level 6 cleric on kyhber run it on elite and keep the party pretty much up. Save for that squishy rogue that is at level 8 and has 40 hp less than I do. Those are a task to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthFirst View Post
    I generally don't solo, but after playing cleric, tired of parties. Why do barbarians think they can tank? They kind of , but more like a soldier who thinks he is a tank. I let em die. Th esmart ones run back and wait for a heal, the intelligent ones bring potions.

As a cleric I like to run in, but if it gets tough I protect the casters as best I can and heal the tank, too, and others. It is actually satisfying to see people die because I am not standing in a corner spamming my heal buttons. The best is when the barbarian type goes and tries to zerg the dungeon by him/herself. I do my thing, breaking crates, unless zerg is agreed upon. The worst is the poor sorc/wiz who doesn't understand how to not aggro. I pity them and carry their stones back to shrines.

Nice post, had to bump it up a notch.

re: solo... fighter better than barbarian, less healing (as hireling, i mean) my favorite feat is augment summoning

Cleric hire better than any melee hire - u can melee and spam searing light yourself while they heal you, spam searing light and give you 1/2 to 3/4 of your mana back on top.

P.S. I too love Augment Summoning.

Quote Originally Posted by mobrien316 View Post
    ....The cleric heals well, fights well, uses CC and damage spells well, spents a few mana pots, and burns through a few cure wands, and the group -

1. Says nothing because that's the cleric's perceived job. (80% of the time)
    Just wanted to comment that it is never the healers job to spend a few mana pots. Should you have a few just in case of course but it your decision as to wether or not to use them. If the party expects to burn through a couple pots then they need to cough up 50-70% of them minimum. Other than that I agree 100% with everything else.
    To err is human, to forgive is divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
    Jinger~Docholiday~Fritobandito~Bandshee~Grudock~Seigeengine

Community Member

Ah OP I hear your pain. My first stretch of time on DDO was pretty much as a rogue,fighter, ranger style and so although i always carried no few pots and wands and got through no few lengthy quests without the aid of clerics I always wanted thier aid on undead heavy quests not for healing but killing.

I was in the minority early on not seeing cleric as healer and in fact yelling at newbs and wowtards for using that term. In PnP the only cleric called healer is the pacifist priest who exist mostly as an NPC and no player character would ever ever heal another player on order. In fact ordering a cleric was a good way to get a harm spell and no save as you had asked for the spell.

When I finally started playing clerics in DDO it was specifically for thier combat potential, when you consider how many undead are in the game it pretty much makes Clerics the Top DPS and survivalist all in one. The ability to heal is just as if not more viable on oneself as it turns you into the comic book like hero akin to Wolverine who can rarely be taken down simply because he heals himself endlessly.

I made my main eventually be a true warrior of the divine way and not dependant on any other character outside maybe rogues for traps and those only for the xp. No Pure Fighter or Barb will ever be a better part of the team. a good blend of cleric with one of those, or even a pure cleric devoted to melee and healing will be a much better part of the whole.

Those saying well there must be a place for the pure selfish glass swords running around who can cut deep but shatter if sneezed at, there is only in Guilds with devoted Slaves who will heal you. If your a cleric slave you hurt the whole of the cleric community. Make players use Hirelings Or learn to be self suffiecient enough they dont need a devoted red bar baby sitter.

In a world with Magic, Magic is God. Steel no matter how strong can never slay a god.

Community Member

I suggest PuGing like you don't care about the puggers. Throw a healing spell here and there, burst when most of the group is together and if anyone starts moaning about the lack of healing suggest them to play a divine. You can only be griefed as much as you let them to

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whesper View Post
    I suggest PuGing like you don't care about the puggers. Throw a healing spell here and there, burst when most of the group is together and if anyone starts moaning about the lack of healing suggest them to play a divine. You can only be griefed as much as you let them to
    Right on. My first rule on a pug is everyone of them is expendable if it gets me to my goal. I sustain them for the same reason. If saving thier life seems like it gets me to what I want good, if thier death does all the better

I certainly if dealing with total strangers am not going to stress myself and ruin my play experiance just because they are to selfish to make more adaptable characters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast