Community Member

Default Crystal Cove hat upgrades?

To keep things brief...

I want to upgrade my pirate hat but am looking for a bit of advice.

1. Is this the sort of item people generally keep using even after the cove is over?
    2. Of the various upgrade options, many seem appealing, such as Archmagi, Wisdom +6, etc. But one stands out: Superior Potency VI. If I read correctly, this would give a +50% boost on ALL of my spells permanently. And there's no normal way to get it in a hat. Is that true?

Thanks for answers and any other thoughts.

I also made haggle hats for all my high level toons. I know I could get more vendor plat by passing everything to my bard, but it is just so much more convenient to at least get a bump on the current toon from the +15 haggle.

archmagi for swap sounds like a plan, too.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MartinusWyllt View Post
    archmagi for swap sounds like a plan, too.
    You mean make two, putting on the archmagi for resting, buffing, and switching? I do that currently with a trinket so was thinking about it.

Is the Superior Potency as good as it sounds, and as rare as it sounds?

Community Member

no, superior potency VI is not rare. it is commonly available on ML14 weapons

edit: read OP again. it might be rare in the head slot, not sure.

Community Member

Right, I only see it on weapons. And I am a 2H weapon user who melees a lot, so I'm not going to want to wear a dagger or scepter for long periods of time just for that. This seems like a real boost to spellcasting for those who also melee.. or am I missing something?

Community Member

The superior potency vi hat is good because of its unique slot. IMO you should make one for your future gear setups.

The last time the Cove was around, I made 2 hats for my lowbie cleric (he was level 9 at the time) - the first had Heavy Fortification/Balance, then the 2nd had Archmagi/Concentration. He used the first one until he could equip a Heavy Fort belt I had in the bank (ML 13 iirc), then used the 2nd one until he pulled an Amrath Archmagi belt, at which point he went and got a Minos. (Note that this guy had a couple big brothers who were farming level 25 coves too. It might be a bit harder getting the gems/shards to do this with just one character)

For Superior Potency VI, I would try to craft the Cove Dagger as well. Superior Potency IS as good as it sounds - it affects ALL spells, healing or otherwise. You only need to have the weapon/item equipped when you want to cast a spell, you don't need it equipped all the time. When I want to cast a spell, I quick-swap to my dagger, cast, then swap back to my main weapon (when meleeing)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

I like Superior False Life and Balance +15. It's ml 15 and iirc, SFL is only available on epic items otherwise.
    "You know how sometimes when you’re drifting off to sleep you feel that jolt, like you were falling and caught yourself at the last second? It’s nothing to be concerned about, it’s usually just the parasite adjusting its grip." -David Wong

2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Qaliya View Post
    2. Of the various upgrade options, many seem appealing, such as Archmagi, Wisdom +6, etc. But one stands out: Superior Potency VI. If I read correctly, this would give a +50% boost on ALL of my spells permanently. And there's no normal way to get it in a hat. Is that true?
    Sup Pot 6 isn't rare...on weapons. Heck, if you're on G-Land and need one, send me a PM and I'll give you one.

But, you're right, it's hard to find on other slots. Necklaces, from Amrath, or these Cove hats. Yes, it's an awesome slotting option for a very useful effect. Have Sup Pot 6, keep hands free for assorted good stuff, and still have Torc on neck? I'll take it!

My Caster gets 2 hats: Archmagi + Superior False Life (swap after buffing),

my Fighter also gets 2 hats: +5 natural Armor / Intimitdate +15 (AC/tanking) hat, and perhaps a Seeker +6 hat for DPS (+2 stacking seeker from trinket) mode.

Cheers

Baloran

The only issue I see with putting Sup. Potency on a hat is... no Minos Legens

Generally, if it's something that doesn't HAVE to be equipped full-time to get the benefit (like an extra HP item, for instance) then I prefer to have it on a weapon/scepter and swap to it when I need the effect. My clerics have 3 or 4 weapon sets designed for the spell-types they're going to cast. If it's pure damage, then Sup. Potency and the appropriate Major Lore item. If it's a spell that's affected by Spell Resistance, then Sup. Potency and Spell Penetration. The nice thing about the various Cove items is the number of effects you can have on each one (especially the Epic versions) - finding the "perfect" combination for your playstyle can be tough
    Quote Originally Posted by Ertay View Post
    While they were at it though, the devs decided to go on an incredible nerfhammer rampage and left nothing in their wake standing...

Quote Originally Posted by PNellesen View Post
    The only issue I see with putting Sup. Potency on a hat is... no Minos Legens
    Indeed. Gemstone just upgraded his hat to Sup PotVI and Concentration +10, and is planning to slot Heavy Fort on the Buccaneer ring and Toughness on the Epic Blademark's Docent.

It'll take a while to get the epic tokens to replace Minos, but it'll be worth it in the long run.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Community Member

I understand about equipping, casting, then swapping. I do that now for healing and so forth. But again, I solo A LOT. And I have to cast offensive and healing spells while fighting. So I think this may be a godsend for me... combined with either +15 balance or +15 concentration.

It's funny because originally I wasn't paying attention to the hats, but the fact that they are customizable makes them rather awesome.

ANY melee class should seriously consider the ML 9 Superior False Life.

Actually, ANY class should take the above advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLegendOfAra View Post
    Welcome to Argo, where our end game players are constantly striving for new and exciting ways to make themselves more gimp, and continually working towards progressively more pointless goals.
    BYOH. Know it, abide by it, or don't mess with those who do.

On my High AC build, I just went with Nat Armor +5 and +15 Balance and decided that toon could bank the Minos. (level 12 toon) That pushed his 24/7 AC to 56 I believe, so that mobs are only hitting on 20's and crit confirming extremely seldom. Been able to run around GH pretty well even solo that way.

The REAL BIG thing is being able to craft up Hats for custom purposes that suit both your current needs and possible future build needs. It is not that hard to find Heavy Fort in other locations to replace the Minos (in fact the AC toon above has a Heavy Fort Ring it can pop on quickly if needed in the hot swap slot.)
    Sarlona - Stormreach Requisition Company (SRC):Jareko-Elf Ranger12Rogue8; Hennako-Human Cleric20; Rukio-Human Paladin18; Taellya-Halfling Rogue16; Zenako-Dwarf Fighter10Cleric1; Daniko-Drow Bard20; Kerriganko-Human Cleric18; Buket-WF Fighter6; Xenophilia-Human Wiz20; Zenakotwo-Dwarf Cleric16; Yadnomko-Halfling Ftr12; Gabiko-Human Bard15;more

Quote Originally Posted by Habreno View Post
    ANY melee class should seriously consider the ML 9 Superior False Life.

Actually, ANY class should take the above advice.
    Eh... HP aren't that important at level 9. And two levels later, a Minos is likely to be a better option.

also you can replace the need for the minos with toughness from the harbinger bracers and heavy fort elsewhere...I do that for the toons running around with the sora kell set on. (though the bracers can take a few runs to get)