Community Member

Default I'm finally level 20! Now what?

After much longer than it should have taken, I've finally hit level 20 for the first time. Now I'm not sure what to do...

I own Delara, Gianthold and Vale. None of these have epic quests, but I guess I can keep farming the raids. I can also finally craft a greensteel item, if I stop being lazy.

I also have one or two thousand points. What quest pack should I buy which will be fun for a while, give me epic quests, and which will maybe have some nice magic items to search for? Oh, and which people will actually run with me. I have trouble getting into parties sometimes, as a Wizard18/Rogue2.

Here's my current play style:

- I really enjoy disabling traps. Not sure why, but it's one of my favorite parts of the game. I don't have any Skill Focus feats, but I have max ranks, a wizard's intelligence score, and +15 items of search and disable. Is this good enough for epic traps?

- I'm an archmage, and make a lot of use of that. Arcane bolt, hypnotize, web and resistable dance are my primary spells. I assume that all of those but Arcane Bolt will remain useful in epic levels?

- I'm always afraid of running out of spell points. I guess I have to get over it in epic quests, because I'll have to use Mass Hold and Finger of Death a lot, from what I understand.

- I rarely get hit. Evasion and Halfling save bonuses keep me pretty much immune to most spells, while web, dance and hypnotize keep non-boss enemies from getting too close.

- What equipment bonuses should I be looking for? My beloved Wand of Blasting is going to be useless, so I guess I should grab one of the many useful weapons. Voice of the Master will go too, to be replace with that head thing I found in the Reaver raid (still waiting for a napkin).

And maybe I'm overloading the thread at this point, but what should I look for when I finally TR? Another wizard/rogue? A straight wizard? A sorcerer, or sorcerer/palladin (for that ridiculous save bonus)?

Nows your time to gear yourself.

Gianthold has:

a Raid - You have already identified that the Napkin would be good, there is also the possibility of +3 tomes both in chest and part of the end reward system

Tor runs - Collect lots of loot and Dragon Scales - keep the ones you want - sell the ones you don't

Vale has:

3 Raids - Thirteenth Eclipse, Vision of Destruction (VoD) and Hound of Xoriat (HoX). Look over the static end reward list of these raids.

Things to look for from these packs -
    Green Steel Items and Weapons (Don't underestimate scepters/daggers) also keep in mind Staff's now use your Caster level if higher then the staff casting level.

VoD - has a Bracer and Gloves of the Glacier - If not for the bonus to cold damage the Archmagi and Meta magic SP savings can go a long way.

HoX - There is a Ring in this pack that is wizadtry VII (Bracers from VoD over shadow this, but its not bad to hunt for both and then pick the better one when you have the choice)

You do have one Epic available to you with these packs - Devil Assult. It can be tough though.

You can also run Devil Assult Elite for chances at Vale crafting items.

================================================== ====================

Quote Originally Posted by Enoach View Post
    You do have one Epic available to you with these packs - Devil Assult. It can be tough though.

I thought DA was its own pack? When did that change?

Enh... point is, now you grind for gear, like Enoach said. Even if you plan on doing a TR, I'd recommend making sure you're fully outfitted for your next 1-20 run. Grind gear, grind plat, craft like you've never crafted before, and make sure you have the best toys you can get ahold of.

Definitive Guide to Bravery Bonuses You've got questions? We've got answers... and bacon.

Errr... ???
    Devil's assault is his own pack. And it isn't listed in his owned packs.

Oh, and I wouldn't advise TRing without at least Necro 4, Reaver's refuge and another high level pack (Secrets of the artificers, IQ1/2, Shavarath would all do).
    Last edited by -Zephyr-; 09-28-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    Owy Evoker FvS / Praledric Completionist Qstaff Rogue/Monk/Druid / Laraeph DC Wizard / Laraelph AA Monk/Ranger/Pally / Gaenry Shiradi Sorc/FvS/Wiz / Reasis SWF Pally & numerous others
    The Leveller for DDO!

Nows your time to gear yourself.

Gianthold has:

a Raid - You have already identified that the Napkin would be good, there is also the possibility of +3 tomes both in chest and part of the end reward system

Tor runs - Collect lots of loot and Dragon Scales - keep the ones you want - sell the ones you don't

Vale has:

3 Raids - Thirteenth Eclipse, Vision of Destruction (VoD) and Hound of Xoriat (HoX). Look over the static end reward list of these raids.

Things to look for from these packs -
    Green Steel Items and Weapons (Don't underestimate scepters/daggers) also keep in mind Staff's now use your Caster level if higher then the staff casting level.

VoD - has a Bracer and Gloves of the Glacier - If not for the bonus to cold damage the Archmagi and Meta magic SP savings can go a long way.

HoX - There is a Ring in this pack that is wizadtry VII (Bracers from VoD over shadow this, but its not bad to hunt for both and then pick the better one when you have the choice)

================================================== ====================

What he said.

Also, for greensteel, a Wizard will typically wear 2 greensteel items (besides the weapons). 1 for 45 HP and 1 for 150 SP along with Con-Cordant Op for either of those items. That pretty much makes it so that you will have to run shroud at least 20 times to cleanse 1 item. (Check DDOwiki (when it's cleaned of virus) about cleansing green steel items)

Another good end game pack to get would be the newest pack. Secrets of artificer has 2 Raids which also come in Epic flavors. But the most important thing about this pack is the new alchemical crafting which looks like a better version of greensteel weapons.

So farm shroud to craft 2 accessories and farm the new pack for 2 weapons... IMHO

K
    Last edited by Krumm; 09-28-2011 at 02:13 PM.

That is a nice easy build to start running epics with. The evasion gives you more room for error while playing which is great and being an arcane means that epic gear is alot less of a concern right off the bat.

So suggestions on what to do next...

• Shroud completions every three days. Get a concord opposition item made first with either HP or SP (I would suggest HP first).
    • VoD and Hound raids. Not much you need out of there really besides tomes, but they are fun and well worth running a few times.
    • Reaver - Napkin you still need so stay on timer.
    • TR your toon. I would do at least 20 epics first so you can buy the heart ingame instead of spending cash on it and because epics are fun and you might find you want to stay at endgame for a while/forever.
    • Get another pack! The carnival pack and the sentinals pack are fairly easy so they are good choices for a new player at end game. Amarath has the high level raid ToD. The new house C pack has two new high level raids with top notch caster loot in them. The desert has tons of loot (including the highly valued torc for casters) and some very fun epic quests (these are harder then most others besides the house C and devil assault pack ones). The devil assault pack features an epic raid and an epic quest (both are fun and have good loot). And finally the Vault of Night has some more epic quests and an epic raid in it (has the highly demanded epic sword of shadows for two handed melees).
    • Roll another toon of a different type. Some people love alts. I recommend two toons for brand new players. A caster type (arcane or divine) and a melee type. They play very differently and give you something else to do with LFMs are sparse for your main.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

I thought hitting 20 was game over, but I find I am running my capped character more than others. Still crafting greensteel, hadn't gotten dragontouched armor until recently. Still much to do. There are several quests I have never done, even without factoring in the latest packs.
    What do you mean a -6 armor class is no good any more?

Proud handler of Baldric, Melkazar, Clant, Mulray, Tirimon, Mallon.
    Remember, if one of them falls off a cliff, it's actually my fault.

Sorry, looks like I was incorrect - Devil Assult is not part of the Vale Pack.

Still you have 4 Raids and Tor, as well as the Vale quests to help line your pockets, which can help speed up your Green Steel construction, you'll just need to look at it as an investment into your character.

If you are just looking at packs for epics, red fens and carnival are good. Fairly easy quests on epic, with some decent epic items.

As a wizard, or caster in general, I would recommend you consider demon sands and necro 4. Both have pretty good xp, large explorer areas, and raids with some of the best caster items in the game. Demon sands epics are some of the least often pugged though, with chains of flame especially being one of the hardest epic quests, and because there are a huge number of epic items here, farming a specific item can be difficult. Outside of the raid, necro 4 also has the minos legens helmet (pretty easy to get) and the skiver (good, but a pain in the ass to get).

Devils of shavarath has endgame content, and a couple of items that you do want for a caster (dmg clickies and +1/+2 exc stat rings, and a couple of decent necklaces and belts).

I dont own it, so this isnt from first hand experience, but VoN has some great xp for the level, and epic quests, but doesnt have a ton loot-wise to offer casters.

drop the quests Grind the Cove.

When done look into gear you may want for end game stuff buy from there.

Net a total favor of 1750 for 32pt unlock or 2500 for FvS if you can manage.

Don't TR roll a newbie and keep at least 1 toon in the cap zone for raid farming.

When you do TR use the 20 token buy or a looted True Heart of Wood.

I recommend NecroIV, Refuge,Sands, IQ, VONs, Amarath, and House Cannith

also for epic I would say carnival pack.

Community Member

Note that Carnival and Devil's Assault are on sale right now (Until Monday). The first is good to farm token (fragments) as both Partycrashers and Snitch are farmed mercilessly by PUGs. DA's epic raid is a bit much anymore for the same pug groups, but you might still get in a raid that does succeed.

Cannith of course is where the end game is at currently, and its no surprise it took you a long time to get 20 if you don't have Amrath. Look into getting both packs.

Plus VON and Sands, for the epic raid & dungeons (although they are run less anymore)

You should be fine for epic traps, you should definitely grind the Cove and make an Epic Spyglass both for the Spot / Search and for the Exceptional Intelligence. You should also get a Tier III level 20 Ornamented Dagger, and consider a Tier III level 16 version for the 3 major lores.

Tor is heaps of fun and you may like the Blue Dragonscale from there. Still one of my favourite loot runs.
    Terebinthia, Terebynthia, Tereana, Tereaina, Tereanna, Terebyte, Terechan, Terebinthis
    The Hand of the Black Tower, Khyber.
    Cupcakes welcomed.

Well, according to forums, you are screwed because end game is just to hard for a new player.
    Joking ofc.

Out of non epic content i would recommend Devils of Shavarath, 6 quest (varying in difficulty) and a hardest raid in game imo.

Out of epic packs I would recommend Desert of Menectherun (i probably misspelled this), also know as Demon Sands. They have a reputation as the hardest epics, but they are, imo, some of the best quests in the game and one more or less boring raid, tho it would be recommended to start with some of the easier epics first.
    Next, Red Fens, more or less easy epics with fairly different quest types.
    Vault of the Night pack is 3rd on my list of epics, 2 easy quest, 2 a bit harder quests, relatively hard pre raid, and more or less easy raid.
    Devil assault, hard quest and a hard raid, good loot, not recommended until you get some epic experience.
    Carnival, easy epics, boring as hell, not recommended unless you have points to spare.